IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 43: No Homebirth, No Problem

Georgiana

The Duggars were ones who brought me to this site. I heard about it way back when there used to be the Television without Pity. I was looking for a site that was not a fan site but one where people were realizing how messed up the family was and talked about it. They were my gate way into Fundie and this site I learned more about Quiverful and other messed up stuff.  I usually stick in Duggar and Bates sites since they are the ones I know more. I've gotten into the Bontrager and Bowers. The Muncks until they stopped posting on their blog.  Sometimes the Maxwells and sometimes the political threads. The Royal threads. Plus I also really enjoy the thread drifts which are usually more interesting then anything going on in the Duggar or Bates lives especially when its books, royalty or history. This whole site is just so much fun!

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about to fall into the Bates threads. Do I need rescue ferrerts? 

It was also the Duggars that brought me here,but I have looked at the Bates threads,too from the start.I do check out the Bowers and Bontragers,too.I'm most familiar with the Duggars and BAtes,horrible beliefs and all I prefer the Bates to the Duggars.

But both of their shows are sometimes as exciting as watching paint dry,I do watch them,if I stay awake...lol.

I also enjoy the Boyers. Talented, occasional signs of hobbies, and not as over the top hateful as some of the other fundies. I enjoy the Waller threads too, for many of the same reasons. Plus those little "rebels" Davis and Phillip have stolen pieces of my heart. Rufus bless David Waller for inspiring my screen name. 

3 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

I don't know why I don't find the Bates as interesting as the Duggars! I've tried to watch their show and follow their threads, but I don't know. It's just not for me. Admittedly, I think I've just had more Duggar exposure and am more fascinated by (what I consider to be) their higher highs and lower lows.

Yeah, I really don't care much about the Bateses.

I only really started reading about the Duggars because my family used to kind of know them and I still do know a lot of people in their orbit. If I hadn't had that personal connection I don't know if I would have been sucked into following them.

Finally caught up and wanted to make a comment on babies' full names as hashtags.

As part of my job, I regularly go through Facebook and dig up information on people. Now, these are people who are already clients of my firm, and it's a way for us to be as personal as possible and make sure to ask them about important people in their lives. We have very wealthy clients and pretty much we want them to feel as important as possible whenever they're at our office. Our clients tend to be Baby Boomers or older and usually have grandkids they love to be asked about.

Anyways, do you know how easy it is in general to get the full name and birthday of our clients' grandkids and figure out where these kids live? It's freaky how easy it is to find sometimes. Now I am doing this for benign reasons, but it's kinda scary how much information people put out there about their children or grandchildren. I always recommend to people to make sure your Facebook settings are private and locked down as much as possible. It's great to share pictures of your kids or grandkids with family and friends...but those pictures don't usually need to be public, hashtagged with the kid's full name and tagged with the location of where they are. Seriously, make this a harder aspect of my job, people! 

Now granted, it's different for celebrities because their info is usually more available anyways, but for your average person, just take a second to double check who can see that picture or maybe don't share the kid's full name on social media. 

I found Pickles first, and got intrigued after somebody there was trashing FJ. Like dear Gods, what goes *on* over there??? So I came over to FJ.  Lurked for right close to a year before I joined after a horrible experience on a now defunct parenting site. I follow mostly the Duggars, have kind of fallen down the Jill R hole, love the parenting and pets threads, current news topics. But thread drift has gotta be my favorite. There is so much to LEARN here, from literary all over the world. The people, the cultures represented here are just amazing. So even though I hate getting downvoted for what sometimes seems like stupid shit, I just shrug it off and continue reading. 

6 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Maybe Felicity wears the mittens because she is the original 6 fingered man.

The baby born on Honey Boo Boo had an extra thumb. Maybe it's a genetic mutation that's starting to appear in children born on TLC.

We've seen Felicity's hands in their first photo with her. She has 10 fingers, not 12. lol

1 minute ago, brokenminded said:

An extra thumb is quite normal and surprisingly common, they all off in the first few months. Uneventful to be honest.

Whattt? No. They're surgically removed.  http://www.childrenshospital.org/conditions-and-treatments/conditions/p/polydactyly-of-fingers

16 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

No, they’re pretty boring. In fact they’re so normal these days that most of the drama on their threads is some people fangirling and other people saying “but the cult!”

There is currently a massive debate about whether Josie Bates’ fiancé was madly in love or being wildly inappropriate when he couldn’t get over her when she was 16 and he was 20 and he had been told she wasn’t interested. (Please don’t import that to this thread.)

46 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We've seen Felicity's hands in their first photo with her. She has 10 fingers, not 12. lol

Whattt? No. They're surgically removed.  http://www.childrenshospital.org/conditions-and-treatments/conditions/p/polydactyly-of-fingers

My friends son's fell off at about 2 weeks old. Surgery would be done on toddlers who still had an extra finger. Maybe in America a love of money makes doctors insist on surgery?

16 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

If you happen to have access to Amazon Prime, their first show, United Bates of America, is available for free. (It’s only 8-10 episodes, but is slightly more “unfiltered” then they are now) 

@VelociRapture did an excellent job with the family summary and it’s tagged with all sorts of pertinent info at the top of the forum.

They are dull. They are more visually appealing than the Duggars. If you are interested in understanding Why 19 Kids?/Quiverfull/Why modesty standards happened to begin with?/ Institute of Basic Life Principles/ ATI/ Bill Gothard.... It is worth knowing that Gil Bates remains firmly entrenched on the board of IBLP. So there’s that angle. Learning more about why the Duggars do what they do does lead one around to the Bates. Day to day...pretty much the same courtship-marriage-baby situation.

3 minutes ago, brokenminded said:

My friends son's fell off at about 2 weeks old. Surgery would be done on toddlers who still had an extra finger. Maybe in America a love of money makes doctors insist on surgery?

Here ya go. Non-American sites about it:

https://www.gosh.nhs.uk/conditions-and-treatments/conditions-we-treat/additional-little-fingers

https://www.qvh.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Removal-of-extra-digits-under-local-anaesthetic-Rvw-Feb-19.pdf

https://www.evelinalondon.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/removal-of-accessory-digits-in-babies-under-LA.pdf

20 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

The Duggars were ones who brought me to this site. I heard about it way back when there used to be the Television without Pity. 

Oh I miss Television without pity! The Veronica Mars threads were my homebase. Miss Veronica Mars too. Might be time for a marathon viewing. It’s been a while. 

3 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Oh I miss Television without pity! The Veronica Mars threads were my homebase. Miss Veronica Mars too. Might be time for a marathon viewing. It’s been a while. 

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My TWoP go-to was the Gilmore Girls. I miss that site SO much!

Me too! I loved that site. I was usually in the Gilmore Girls, Once Upon a Time, or 19 Kids threads. The people they had doing the Recaps were really good and very funny. 

I still miss TWOP every day. I rarely posted for fear of the Evil Howard, but I loved reading it. 

15 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Me too! I loved that site. I was usually in the Gilmore Girls, Once Upon a Time, or 19 Kids threads. The people they had doing the Recaps were really good and very funny. 

Yes! I spent a lot of time just reading threads without actually ever watching on tv. Some of them were really good once you got in to them. The Amazing Race was one of my favourites.

Yes, yes, I do know it sounds like I’m a bit crazy. :my_rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Yes! I spent a lot of time just reading threads without actually ever watching on tv. Some of them were really good once you got in to them. The Amazing Race was one of my favourites.

Yes, yes, I do know it sounds like I’m a bit crazy. :my_rolleyes:

I still follow Miss Ali on Twitter. She’s still awesome. ❤️

Oh good heavens. The posts over there about the Duggars are almost verbatim from here. lol

49 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

TWOP is now http://forums.previously.tv/ and still has a lot of the same posters.

Same founders, but they are different sites rather than previously.tv being a renaming of TWOP.

I used to like recaps and I'm annoyed that previously.tv does barely any recaps of new shows anymore.

I remember first hearing about FJ around the time of the miscarriage of Jubilee. I had been watching the duggars since the first episode ever came onto Discovery Health when I was nine years old (right? thats the channel their first specials were on). Anyhow,I was always intrigued by them and so every once and a while after and between specials I would google the Duggars to see if Michelle was pregnant again or not. and a lot of the time at that point, she was.  I remember knowing that she was pregnant with #20, and there was a random December night that I googled the Duggars to see if there was any news, and it was literally the day they announced that they had lost Jubilee. I always thought that was crazy weird (probably because I was so young.. 15) but I know that it was a coincidence lol. But from that google search that night I remember finding FJ at that time. I don't know if you guys were on this site or still on the old one at that time.

I lurked for a bit at the beginning of 2017 and finally started posting around the time of Joy's wedding. Although I did learn a lot about FJ and the Joshgate scandals back in 2015 and did my fair share of lurking at that time because you guys had all of the inside information so it seemed. lol

I also have had a hard time getting into the Bates. They always bored me and I even tried watching their original show but it just was not super appealing to me.  I lurk their threads sometimes but its mainly because i want to know if there is any pregnancy/courtship/engagement news. although I follow their IGs so I usually just refer back to them.

I'm sad I wont be spending as much time on it this school year, I go back to work on monday, as I teach middle school. So I will likely be a weekend FJ frequenter again :P  lol

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived