IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 43: No Homebirth, No Problem

Georgiana

18 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Interesting that there seems to be no difference between /ss/ and /zz/ in America

But there is a big difference, at least in the part of America I'm from!! Lissy rhymes with Missy (Lis-see), while Lizzie has the Z sound, like the Z in zoo (Li-Zee, literally like the letter Z is tacked onto the end (Americans say Z as Zee, not Zed)). 

It's similar to the difference between Miss and Ms. (Mizz)

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Lissy is a cute nickname, and not at all surprising that they call her that. In my head personally I've been thinking of her as Little Miss Fliss, anytime they post a picture, haha. 

2 hours ago, rsg007 said:

Try doing it the opposite way - "dogs" with a final "ss" and "cats" with a final "zz" - it's really unnatural!

That's interesting.  In our family we say dogs with the ssss.  I guess that's one of the reasons daughter's in-laws have said the grandchildren sometimes "talk funny."   

On 8/17/2018 at 6:28 PM, eveandadam said:

I honestly don't think JinJer were preventing anything. They conceived within a year of being married, which is the normal range.  We are only used to the super fertile siblings who all conceived withing the first 3-4 months of the withing the 1st month of trying. Friends of our's conceived after 10 months of trying and the doctor told them it is normal because it's under a year.

I don't know, I got the impression they were deliberately trying not to get Jinger pregnant for a while. But of course you never know, and the picture TLC wants to show us is not reliable to say the least.

I think it will be interesting so see how long it takes until they conceive again! Because I'm sure it will happen again if there aren't any fertility issues or something. I'm trying not to be disappointed if it happens soon, because lots of normal, non-fundie parents have short gaps between their kids, the difference is they tend to stop after 3 or 4... (Although I could see JinJer have 5 kids or less. If they have 8 or more I'll be pretty surprised!) 

9 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

If I try to say "dogs" with an "ss" it either sounds like "docks" or very separated like "dog-sss."

Is it weird that I am trying to do this in my head? 

On 8/27/2018 at 9:43 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Assuming you mean the double-s as it's pronounced in miss, hiss, or piss. (hah - had to take it there)

True?

Yess.

1 hour ago, LittleOwl said:

Is it weird that I'm actually doing this out loud at my desk at work? 

My personal preference for the nickname prone around me is Liss (hence my screen name).  My paternal cousins called me Missy (I lost touch with me when I was a kid due to my parents divorcing).  Lissy = Missy just with different first letters.  I don't identify with Missy (it always feels like a fluffy nickname to me and I'm not a fluffy/frilly girl).  My mother called me Lissa.  It is a natural progression/shortening of the name from my point of view (as a Melissa who is not spelled that way but that's a whole different conversation) (I would have gone by Lissa circa 5th grade when we changed schools but my mother tried to spell it with one S (see spelling issues and my name) making it look like Lisa - and there was just a big of a Lisa issue in my class as a Melissa issue)

Lissy sounds absolutely normal to me as I had a roommate Melissa who went by Lissy (yes, rhymes with Missy) or Liss sometimes in grad school.   

On August 28, 2018 at 10:58 PM, Rachel333 said:

If I try to say "dogs" with an "ss" it either sounds like "docks" or very separated like "dog-sss."

Yes! That's what's so cool about it - if you try to say "dogs" with a final "ss" then you automatically compensate by de-voicing the "g" sound (the de-voiced version of "g" is "k"), or else you have to separate the sounds significantly in order to preserve the voiced "g."

On August 28, 2018 at 9:58 PM, Coconut Flan said:

That's interesting.  In our family we say dogs with the ssss.  I guess that's one of the reasons daughter's in-laws have said the grandchildren sometimes "talk funny."   

That's very interesting. Would you say the "g" in "dogs" then becomes more like a "k" sound? Pronunciation likes to take the easy way out and therefore automatically de-voices the "g" (to a "k") to match the unvoiced "ss."

On August 29, 2018 at 8:44 AM, LittleOwl said:

Haha, not weird at all! I figured people might be doing that. But you won't really be able to tell the difference unless you try it out loud because the vocal cords won't be engaged at all if you do it in your head (or if you whisper).

43 minutes ago, rsg007 said:

That's very interesting. Would you say the "g" in "dogs" then becomes more like a "k" sound? Pronunciation likes to take the easy way out and therefore automatically de-voices the "g" (to a "k") to match the unvoiced "ss."

No it's definitely a g and there's no break.  I guess if you grow up saying that and the rest of your family does, too, you manage to do it naturally.  I have to work hard at saying dogz.  

Now when and yellow are words that make me wish we had a speech therapist in the family.  

On 8/29/2018 at 2:44 PM, LittleOwl said:

I definitely did it out loud. :pb_lol:

Thank you @Rachel333 for the explanation! I did not see (or hear) the difference at all before I started talking cats and dogs here. 

On 8/28/2018 at 1:07 AM, just_ordinary said:

So it is indeed pronounced with a “harsh”  /ss/ sound as in missy/kissy etc. 

Thanks to everyone for answering. 

Interesting that there seems to be no difference between /ss/ and /zz/ in America. 

I am especially interested because as my due date is approaching very fast and we still haven’t figured out the name - Lizzie would be a common nickname for one of our favourites. But the pronounciation with the /zz/ would make it harsher in German (think similar to cancer) but way softer in English (think ease, lease etc.). Sometimes multi- language families are a pain in the ass. We would prefer the English pronunciation but in the end you only have so much influence. By the time she goes to kindergarten there might be nicknames emerging we never thought about. 

Would Elisabeth be any softer from a German standpoint?  I know a few from Denmark, Switzerland and Belgium and to me it sounds slightly softer than when they say Elizabeth. However Americans  tend to pronounce it as Elizabeth and the American one I know has always had Lizzie as her nickname.

I cannot hear/understand the difference between Lissy and Lizzy, maybe because I'm not a native English speaker and we don't distinguish between those sounds in my language. Also I don't understand the difference between Ms and Miss. Sounds exactly the same to me. 

10 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I cannot hear/understand the difference between Lissy and Lizzy, maybe because I'm not a native English speaker and we don't distinguish between those sounds in my language. Also I don't understand the difference between Ms and Miss. Sounds exactly the same to me. 

For some reason Ms. often gets pronounced like Mz. Never understood why.

44 minutes ago, Mlissmartin said:

For some reason Ms. often gets pronounced like Mz. Never understood why.

That's how it's supposed to be pronounced, since "miss" is a different title.

58 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Do "hiss" and "his" sound exactly the same too? Do you not distinguish "s" and "z" at all? I'm just curious. It's definitely hard to hear the difference in sounds like that if your native language doesn't distinguish them!

An example for me is ш and щ (usually romanized as 'sh' and 'shch') in Russian. When I listen to people say them over and over I can hear a difference but then when it comes to regular speech or actually producing those sounds I have an extremely hard time differentiating them.

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Do "hiss" and "his" sound exactly the same too? Do you not distinguish "s" and "z" at all? I'm just curious. It's definitely hard to hear the difference in sounds like that if your native language doesn't distinguish them!

I just tried saying them out loud, and yes they sound almost the same to me. I had to record it several times, to realise that I pronounce hiss with a slightly longer s sound that his, but almost identical.

We don't really use z in my language, except for zoo and pizza lol. But no, I don't think we distinguish between z and s sounds at all. Occasionally people will replace the z with s in  for their children's names, for example Simon becomes Zimon and Isabella becomes Izabella, Lucas becomes Lucaz, with no change in pronunciation.

8 hours ago, Letizia said:

Would Elisabeth be any softer from a German standpoint?  I know a few from Denmark, Switzerland and Belgium and to me it sounds slightly softer than when they say Elizabeth. However Americans  tend to pronounce it as Elizabeth and the American one I know has always had Lizzie as her nickname.

I would say the German /s/ is somewhere in between the English pronunciation of /ss/ and /zz/ in that case. It would be more on the softer side but the name itself might sound a bit harsher because of the pronunciation of the vowels at the beginning and of course the hard /t/ at the end.

The main difference is that German languages prounce the /z/ very hard (it often is combined with a /t/ for /tz/) and the /s/ softer while in English it often seems to be the other way round. At least in my ears. 

Apparently Jinger and Jeremy got a cat. His name is Jacob. 

(I'm not sure how to post pictures from instagram, but Jacob is on Jeremy's. He's a cute cat)

@Carm_88, how did you get the Instagram post to appear directly in your comment? I've been trying to figure out how to do that with no success...

As for the cat, it looks like Jeremy commented on the post saying it was a stray that followed them home, so now he's theirs. 

1 minute ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

@Carm_88, how did you get the Instagram post to appear directly in your comment? I've been trying to figure out how to do that with no success...

As for the cat, it looks like Jeremy commented on the post saying it was a stray that followed them home, so now he's theirs. 

I paste the link from the picture directly into the post, hit enter, wait for the picture to appear, and then type my witty commentary. :P 

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived