IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 43: No Homebirth, No Problem

Georgiana

11 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

No, they’re pretty boring. In fact they’re so normal these days that most of the drama on their threads is some people fangirling and other people saying “but the cult!”

There is currently a massive debate about whether Josie Bates’ fiancé was madly in love or being wildly inappropriate when he couldn’t get over her when she was 16 and he was 20 and he had been told she wasn’t interested. (Please don’t import that to this thread.)

I admit I used to watch United Bates America...and I liked it. Have never seen Bringing Up Bates other than clips.

I have a soft spot for Michael. I have started to read from the first Michael and Brandon thread.

If the Bates are boring, well that's good for me to know after the absolute crap storm that can be Josh Duggar, Derick Dillard and  JRod.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:57 PM, Leftitinmysnood said:

Maybe Felicity wears the mittens because she is the original 6 fingered man.

Reveal hidden contents

I think it's because JinJer don't want to risk Felicity giving the middle finger again. 

Just joking around.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Felicity's eyes are pretty dark blue in one of the latest pics. My guess is they'll be brown. And if she's a dark brunette she could have quite a different look than her cousins. Not a bad thing as I'm tired of seeing Jim Bob's features!

Felicity attended her first church service this morning and per Jinger’s comment, they’ve taken to calling her Lissy.

Spoiler

7D2B1F14-0F91-4C08-9872-E2B53EA81CAE.jpeg.285666b623348ae480be6c046c93fc3e.jpeg

Spoiler

483DE6C9-BC8E-48D8-9547-DAAE710E6931.jpeg.7f78934347fed791be7c47adda1371b6.jpeg

I wonder how they pronounce it. From my understanding the double s is a rather harsh sound- whereas a double z would be a softer sound (Lizzie). In my language it’s more the other way round (same with w and v) which is why I am always intrigued.

I may or may not have an RP character who's nickname is Lissy :shifty: I always pronounced it with the 's' sound.

I do find "Lissy" kind of awkward to pronounce while "Lizzy" is easier. I similarly find "Felicity Nicole" a little awkward to say (it's the "ty Ni" part). I love her name overall, though.

I had a childhood friend named Melissa who went by Lissy.  Later she took the adolescent girl option and changed it to Lissi.  But in either case it was pronounced with a double-s sound.

45 minutes ago, tamjamb said:

double-s

Assuming you mean the double-s as it's pronounced in miss, hiss, or piss. (hah - had to take it there)

True?

23 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I do find "Lissy" kind of awkward to pronounce while "Lizzy" is easier. I similarly find "Felicity Nicole" a little awkward to say (it's the "ty Ni" part). I love her name overall, though.

I had a friend in middle school named Lissy. Her name was just as easy and natural to say as my cousins name, Lizzie. Of course, I’m speaking as an American, as both my friend and the Vuolo’s are. If you speak another language first or speak English with another accent that may be different. But in general for American speakers it should be perfectly natural to say. No different than saying “kissy face”. 

27 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

I had a friend in middle school named Lissy. Her name was just as easy and natural to say as my cousins name, Lizzie. Of course, I’m speaking as an American, as both my friend and the Vuolo’s are. If you speak another language first or speak English with another accent that may be different. But in general for American speakers it should be perfectly natural to say. No different than saying “kissy face”. 

So it is indeed pronounced with a “harsh”  /ss/ sound as in missy/kissy etc. 

Thanks to everyone for answering. 

Interesting that there seems to be no difference between /ss/ and /zz/ in America. 

I am especially interested because as my due date is approaching very fast and we still haven’t figured out the name - Lizzie would be a common nickname for one of our favourites. But the pronounciation with the /zz/ would make it harsher in German (think similar to cancer) but way softer in English (think ease, lease etc.). Sometimes multi- language families are a pain in the ass. We would prefer the English pronunciation but in the end you only have so much influence. By the time she goes to kindergarten there might be nicknames emerging we never thought about. 

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

So it is indeed pronounced with a “harsh”  /ss/ sound as in missy/kissy etc. 

Thanks to everyone for answering. 

Interesting that there seems to be no difference between /ss/ and /zz/ in America. 

I am especially interested because as my due date is approaching very fast and we still haven’t figured out the name - Lizzie would be a common nickname for one of our favourites. But the pronounciation with the /zz/ would make it harsher in German (think similar to cancer) but way softer in English (think ease, lease etc.). Sometimes multi- language families are a pain in the ass. We would prefer the English pronunciation but in the end you only have so much influence. By the time she goes to kindergarten there might be nicknames emerging we never thought about. 

Is Elizabeth the formal name you’re looking at? I don’t know what else Lizzie would be shirt for. Elizabeth is such a beautiful name, one of my favorites. There are many nicknames to choose from, probably more than any other name I can think of. Lizzie, Libby, Liz, Liza, Eliza, Ella, Ellie, Elsa, Beth, Betty, Betsy, Bette, Bessie, Bess, Busy//Bizzie, Zibbie, Tibbie/y, Tess, Lea, Lisa, Liesel, Lily. Even my friend Lissy was an Elizabeth. Some are more obvious while others make you wonder how they made the list—but the options are almost limitless.  More than what I said, even. 

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

... snip ...

Sometimes multi- language families are a pain in the ass.

I’m not American but there’s definitely a difference. Forgive me for geeking, but I love linguistics. Disclaimer - I know VERY little about linguistics :D so I’m happy to be corrected.

To my understanding:

ss as in dress, hiss, ass (heh), moss etc is [ s ] in IPA 

zz as in fizz, jazz, fizz etc is [ z ] in IPA 

While they’re both fricatives, s is voiceless and z is voiced. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_alveolar_fricative#Voiceless_alveolar_sibilant

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_alveolar_fricative#Voiced_alveolar_sibilant

2 hours ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

Is Elizabeth the formal name you’re looking at? I don’t know what else Lizzie would be shirt for. Elizabeth is such a beautiful name, one of my favorites. There are many nicknames to choose from, probably more than any other name I can think of. Lizzie, Libby, Liz, Liza, Eliza, Ella, Ellie, Elsa, Beth, Betty, Betsy, Bette, Bessie, Bess, Busy//Bizzie, Zibbie, Tibbie/y, Tess, Lea, Lisa, Liesel, Lily. Even my friend Lissy was an Elizabeth. Some are more obvious while others make you wonder how they made the list—but the options are almost limitless.  More than what I said, even. 

It is indeed Elizabeth. But that is only one of three contenders. Hopefully the decision will be easier when baby is born. Right now, we love them all and every time we think we made a final decision, 24h later one of starts with “...but xyz would be so nice too...” So we decided to stop and wait for the birth.

Just now, just_ordinary said:

It is indeed Elizabeth. But that is only one of three contenders. Hopefully the decision will be easier when baby is born. Right now, we love them all and every time we think we made a final decision, 24h later one of starts with “...but xyz would be so nice too...” So we decided to stop and wait for the birth.

Well, as a complete stranger who doesn’t know the other options, I’m rooting for Elizabeth and any of her many nicknames you could play around with!! Waiting for birth to decide on a final choice though is always best in my opinion. How exciting for you and your partner!!! Congratulations. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm sure J'chelle will pronounce it with a Z like she does Jozzzeeee. 

More like "that one, over there" because she can't remember her own kids names. And little Lissy won't be such a precious blessing in a year when there is a brand new grandspawn, somewhere in that brood.

25 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

More like "that one, over there" because she can't remember her own kids names. And little Lissy won't be such a precious blessing in a year when there is a brand new grandspawn, somewhere in that brood.

No, no. Josie's name they remember. They cherish it dearly in their heart! She's the golden miracle child, after all.

It's the others JBoob and J'Chelle struggle with.

BUt yeah. Lissy is such a cute nickname!

10 hours ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

I am American. :) 

I don't think it's hard to say by any means and it's a perfectly fine name. I just  find it (very!) slightly awkward to say since the "ss" sound in the middle interrupts the flow a tiny bit, while "Libby" or "Lizzy" don't have the same issue. It's the same reason "Josie" with a 'z' sound is slightly easier to say than "Josie" with an 'ss' sound.

I'm talking about incredibly tiny differences, though. :pb_lol: It really isn't a big deal!!

Lissy is sweet for a baby, as her personality emerges there's a lot of other options of nicknames for Felicity if it doesn't quite fit. Flicka is probably the most common, but I briefly worked with a Felicity who went by City. She was extremely cool and edgy, while i was not.

On 8/25/2018 at 6:13 PM, Destiny said:

I still miss TWOP every day. I rarely posted for fear of the Evil Howard, but I loved reading it. 

I had hoped Howard would join us... 

In last night's episode, there's a large silver thing on Jinger and Jeremy's kitchen counter.  I think it is a berkey water filter, which makes me wonder why they drink out of plastic water bottles?  

4 hours ago, cascarones said:

as her personality emerges there's a lot of other options of nicknames for Felicity if it doesn't quite fit.

Holding out hope she chooses Felix Felices...

7 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I am American. :) 

I don't think it's hard to say by any means and it's a perfectly fine name. I just  find it (very!) slightly awkward to say since the "ss" sound in the middle interrupts the flow a tiny bit, while "Libby" or "Lizzy" don't have the same issue. It's the same reason "Josie" with a 'z' sound is slightly easier to say than "Josie" with an 'ss' sound.

I'm talking about incredibly tiny differences, though. :pb_lol: It really isn't a big deal!!

Linguist here - just wanted to add my 2 cents to the Lissy/Lizzy discussion. As another poster said, the "ss" and the "zz" sounds are identical apart from one thing - voicing. The "ss" sound is not voiced (i.e., the vocal cords are not used in the production of this sound), while the "zz" sound is voiced. Vowels are always voiced, so that's why it's slightly harder to say "Lissy" than "Lizzy," because with "Lissy" you have to transition from a voiced vowel to an unvoiced "ss" back to another voiced vowel. Whereas with "Lizzy" the vocal cords remain engaged throughout the whole pronunciation of the word.

A great example of this phenomenon is the difference between the words "dogs" and "cats" - with the former, the "g" sound is voiced, so the final sound of the word is also voiced, because it's easier to say. So the final sound of "dogs" is like the "zz" in "Lizzy." On the other hand, the "t" sound in "cats" is unvoiced, so you also get an unvoiced "ss" (as in "Lissy") at the end of the word. Try doing it the opposite way - "dogs" with a final "ss" and "cats" with a final "zz" - it's really unnatural!

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived