IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

Hmmm I did wonder about money from his dad covering his original degree. Either life insurance or a trust.

But then the scholarship @SassyPantsmentioned rings a bell. Was it for band?  Or Pistol Pete? He also was in a band frat I think, not sure how the dues compare to traditional frats, but Greek life is expensive.

I also want to hear from Cross Church. During his time in their program he seemingly went totally off the rails, at least on social media. Are they going for no comment is safest or are they actually ignorant to his craziness? 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

At least she’s got her mouth closed.

ETA: oops, @LurkerOverThePond Beat me to it!

Didn’t he claim they were never paid for any of their magazine covers or interviews? I find that so hard to believe but that was his story. They were unpaid volunteers in he show and in people magazine apparently. 

Could he be getting FAFSA money? Three dependants and no income could get him some financial help from the government for school. At least at the undergrad level. I have no idea what’s available for graduate level students tho.

So I live in NJ, and I used to be a huge fan of RHNJ. Tereasa Guidice was so over-the-top I could not fathom living like she did. All of it came crashing down when she lied about her family's income and some fraud case was brought to the feds.

However, in one episode in either season 3 or 4, she or Juicy Joe admitted they were paid to be photographed for magazine covers and to take part in interviews. I don't know how much they were paid, but they were definitely paid.

Derek is definitely lying if he claims otherwise.

On 8/10/2018 at 12:12 PM, freshlemonade said:

Could Derek be gearing up to try to be the Duggar's official family lawyer?  Kind of doubt it though.  Human rights lawyer?  Hah, yeah right.  His tweets will get even more annoying when he starts using his year one legalese. 

Another Ina fan here.  Except that she hates cilantro.  Cilantro is the best Ina-give it another shot!!

Maybe he wants to become the Tom Hagen of the Duggar Family (Godfather reference?)

Also, yes, Ina, PLEASE accept cilantro into your heart!

1 hour ago, Markie said:

I imagine Jill is super proud of Derick. He seemed proud of her when she “graduated” from her midwife course. They appear to be suited for each other. 

Wonder if they are able to rent the Cross Church house at a low rent? Does anyone else think Derick is aiming for politics? The odds are against him finishing the law course, but I guess he did complete his first degree. It will be interesting to see how it all folds out.

I think the 2 biggest obstacles to him finishing are: 1) laziness and 2) family needs and time constraints. His undergrad days were before he was infected by the Duggar laziness virus, and prior to him having a young family and a very needy, insecure wife.

35 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I also want to hear from Cross Church. During his time in their program he seemingly went totally off the rails, at least on social media. Are they going for no comment is safest or are they actually ignorant to his craziness? 

I think they probably completely agree with Derick.

He really hasn't said anything particularly shocking for his culture, he just stands out because most of the famous fundies are better about hiding their ugly beliefs.

Not sure how I made Cross Church = Cross Crunch (!) and I clearly don't know how to spell Derick ha.

I agree DD wants to enter politics at the end of this. Is it possible he wants to insert himself into a position on the FRC where Josh left off?

"Since 1986, Pastor Ronnie Floyd has served as the Senior Pastor of Cross Church, Northwest Arkansas. In June 2016, he completed a two-year elected term as President of the Southern Baptist Convention.

In addition to his leadership of Cross Church and the Southern Baptist Convention, Dr. Ronnie Floyd is currently serving as one of eight Board of Directors for the highly influential Family Research Council in Washington, D.C."

Also:

"In 2001, Dr. Floyd founded The Summit, the businesspersons’ luncheon of Northwest Arkansas, a weekly lunch seminar which hosts guest speakers from across the country. Each spring and fall, leaders share their insights on business, leadership, ethics, success, and life principles and values."

Lots of networking opportunities should Derick be invited.

Derrick's beliefs are not shocking in his culture. People like John Piper, John Macarthur, Franklin Graham, Kirk Cameron, Ray Comfort, Ken Ham, etc. all have views similar to Derrick. Those individuals are "folk heros" and "family values crusaders" to people like the Duggars. The Duggars, Ben, Jeremy, and Austin may find Derrick to be ackward or unpleasant to interact with. I guarantee none of them finds his social or political views the least bit shocking or off putting. 

17 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

90% of them returned to the same or analogous positions after the 2 years (I was horrified at the $ they spent getting a degree that they didn't actually monetize in any way), with 10% using it to change their career path or open up new opportunities.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned (still catching up at the airport), but consultants getting their MBA tend to have their degrees fully paid for and go back at a huge pay increase usually at a manager role. Most MBA students are sponsored or on pretty big scholarships, so the loans aren't crazy like other professional degrees.  Just go to a school with high employment numbers and walk out with a nice six figure salary in a year or two and hopefully with most of your liver left intact from the endless networking events. I had a Trump encounter at one of those things. (tongue sticking out emoji)

It honestly would have been an other option, but less Godly choice for Derick. It's got a better ROI than a JD, which would have appealed to JB and if he wants to go the lobbyist route it's flexible there. If he's trying to fade away into obscurity by becoming the lawyer all the fundies use in their various legal snafus, less so.

I'm guessing he'll go the lawyer for faith route, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he specializes in entertainment law given his own experience with TLC, which probably pays pretty handsomely. It's going to a growing field with all of the different ways to create content and fund yourself/ exploit your children/pets. 

2 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

Maybe he wants to become the Tom Hagen of the Duggar Family (Godfather reference?)

Also, yes, Ina, PLEASE accept cilantro into your heart!

He wants to become the Lionel Hutz of the Duggar family.

1 hour ago, LurkyLurkerson said:

Not sure how I made Cross Church = Cross Crunch (!) and I clearly don't know how to spell Derick ha.

I agree DD wants to enter politics at the end of this. Is it possible he wants to insert himself into a position on the FRC where Josh left off?

"Since 1986, Pastor Ronnie Floyd has served as the Senior Pastor of Cross Church, Northwest Arkansas. In June 2016, he completed a two-year elected term as President of the Southern Baptist Convention.

In addition to his leadership of Cross Church and the Southern Baptist Convention, Dr. Ronnie Floyd is currently serving as one of eight Board of Directors for the highly influential Family Research Council in Washington, D.C."

Also:

"In 2001, Dr. Floyd founded The Summit, the businesspersons’ luncheon of Northwest Arkansas, a weekly lunch seminar which hosts guest speakers from across the country. Each spring and fall, leaders share their insights on business, leadership, ethics, success, and life principles and values."

Lots of networking opportunities should Derick be invited.

Ugh. He is that one guy at gatherings everybody avoids. Nobody knows how he keeps getting invited and nobody will claim him. 

9 hours ago, Godly grifting said:

I doubt he has paid off his accounting course, he didn't work that much before he turned into the crazy caveman of CA. And he wasted all the donated money he scammed. 

I doubt he had any debt from his accounting course. I don't see JB allowing Jill to Marry someone that had any debt. 

I am not gonna lie, I have bought lunchables to eat on the bus on the way to work and coming home from nightshift before. Not everyday I do make sandwiches or pasta but on days where I've been running late and it's easy to buy those, my local shop does not have a great sandwich selection, the lunchables have less calories than most of the sandwiches they sell.

Nothing wrong with a Lunchable now and then! :) I just think it's important to learn how to make food for yourself (beyond a pre-made microwave meal) if you're living on your own. Even if you don't do it all the time, it's still a basic life skill.

“remaining stateside”...bahahahahahaha.

As if we were all on the edge of our seats wondering what worldwide adventure the grifters would be going on next.  

He will probably do some easy lawyering, like being Jim Slob’s real estate attorney or something.  Then go into politics.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:45 AM, fundiefollower said:

Mainstream news media is shaming Jill too.... or maybe it's just fake news?

Fox News seems to be punching down aiming their criticism at Jill. Her recipes are no more unhealthy than Pioneer Woman’s and she built an entire empire on it. I’m not implying Jill has any skill cooking but it feels like they are picking on her when she is a bit player in this genre.

I have been critical of Jill, but I am not writing in for a “news” organization.

There is some elitism when the media criticises food personalities. Martha Stewart (who I really like) and who bakes with plenty of butter, faced a lot less criticism than less "polished" celebrity chefs for unhealthy cooking.

One of the magazines at the supermarket checkout has a 2-page spread on Tater Tot recipes. One is a "pizza" that includes canned tomatoes, cheddar cheese, ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard and tater tots, among other things. So there is an audience for cuisine chez Jill.

As was said above, I think they may have been instructed what to wear for the first day of orientation for the class photo. He does blend in there, as I had a hard time finding him. (I think he's fourth from the left, second to last row, but I could be wrong.)

Beyond that he does seem to be socializing with other members of his incoming class, at least during orientation, and looks like he fits right in clothing wise at this event. 

So yeah. This will be an interesting challenge for the two of them as Derrick seems to be enjoying himself thus far, and Jill's left home alone with the kids. Again.

so I was just checking out the actual Duggar site and Michelle's blog she posted this on her and JB's anniversary 

http://www.duggarfamily.com/michelles-blog?ID=1e0de206-bab4-4b98-8e86-a81cdd560df3

if you click on it make sure to have a bucket to puke in but anyway I clicked on her farther link for the needs of a wife 

https://iblp.org/questions/how-can-i-meet-my-wifes-basic-needs

and this one really stood out to me and made me think of Derick. 

She is a safeguard to your hasty decisions because of her need for security and consistency.

Derick is failing in this since he obviously isn't thinking of Jill as he jumps all over the map. 

Derick went to a law school mixer for first years which had alcohol and several gender non conforming students. Jilly muffin wasn’t with him though I’m sure she wanted to tag along. To be a fly on the wall of that. 

I'd call those hashbrowns. Close your mouth Jill, you're making Jesus cry! 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived