IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

21 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I'd call those hashbrowns. Close your mouth Jill, you're making Jesus cry! 

I hate it when she or anyone poses with an open mouth near food/oven. Gah.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a rough couple of days & this thread has been making me laugh out loud.  Thanks FJ!

I also had roasted sweet potatoes for dinner recently. No snark on Jill, except for calling them "fries." They're roasted potatoes, dammit. But they are good. I do find her posts grating, though.

I'm a little late to this discussion because I have been trying to get my youngest moved since she starts college this year, but my two cents.

I have a masters degree in accounting was raised fundie light married into a full on fundie family. I honestly hate accounting. I'm very good at my job but I hate it. On the other side I'm a responsible parent so I do what I must to get my kids the education they deserve. My oldest just graduated my middle is two years in and my youngest just started, so I suck it up so they can have the life the deserve. 

I did get out of the life but it took me 23 years of abuse and struggling before I had enough. That being said I still fought for my kids to get what they needed. I've only been out of CV the life style for 2 years.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:16 PM, Lurker said:

Derrick looks like he has modeled himself on Alex P Keaton in that picture.  If this is how he really went to class, he was probably more dressed up than his instructors.

I attended law school at night for all or parts of 1996-1999. Most of the folks I was in night classes with had full-time jobs. Some, like me, drove directly from work and had on work clothes (I also drove an hour one-way). Some had time to change and came to class in jeans. Most of us had families and some had children while they were in law school.

I tried very hard NOT to study when I got home at 9:45 p.m. but I got up early to study before I went to work, studied during my lunch and every stolen moment I could find. I took "off" Friday evenings and part of Saturday so I could have at least some time with my husband. All that being said, I still don't remember great parts of 1997, 1998 and 1999.

I was challenged for my "liberal"  views, including my absolute views against the death penalty. I held my own mostly because my full-time job was as a paralegal in a public defender office (I'm still a public defender, now practicing law). I don't believe Derick will stand up to those sorts of challenges. Frankly, I don't believe Jill will do well with the sort of schedules my husband and I kept either.

IMHO, I don't think Derick has the ability to make his greatest allegiance to the law. By that I mean I am a person of faith. My faith, however, does not define how I treat my clients or the issues I write in my briefs: the Constitutions (state and federal), my personal and professional ethics do. Practicing the type of law I do--including being on the defense teams for two executions in 1997 and 1999--has strengthened my faith. They're still not the same thing.

6 hours ago, artdecades said:

Derick went to a law school mixer for first years which had alcohol and several gender non conforming students. Jilly muffin wasn’t with him though I’m sure she wanted to tag along. To be a fly on the wall of that. 

I can imagine him walking up to someone and asking if (s)he knows Jazz.

7 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

the scary thing is we all know he's stupid enough to do it. 

6 hours ago, Dandruff said:

He’s not that stupid. I don’t know where Jazz lives, but I’m pretty sure it’s not Arkansas. If you mean just talking to people about her, it’s possible, but my guess is that he thinks his classmates wouldn’t be interested in the show. 

45 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

He’s not that stupid.

Maybe not - but do you know how many people ask my husband if he knows the Queen of England? Just because he's from England... Derick may see that the same way - "Oh look! A (sinning) transgender person - they must know Jazz."  

On 8/8/2018 at 7:27 AM, Lurky said:

I disagree - some people don't have a natural eye for photos, but others don't, and it takes years of practice, and I think it's really important to remember that Jill wasn't allowed even a smartphone until relatively recently, let alone apps like instagram.  So while other young women her age will have been learning this since they were around 13-5, Jill has had to picked up the skill as an adult.   And given the fact she didn't have a phone as a kid, she probably took any photos as a teen on a DSLR (we know Jinger did), and I know I found it weird transitioning from DSLR to phones, especially if she doesn't have one with a good camera. 

I can never decide if she just can't tell the difference between a bad photo and a good one (and lots of people can't, just like lots of people are tone deaf, or colour blind.  I know that art is subjective, but I've got family members who take terrible photos of people, but really love them, because they're (bad) pictures of people/places they love) or if she just doesn't care - like maybe she knows that a bit of cropping and spending 5 minutes choosing the right filter  won't make that much of a difference, and it's not what she wants to spend her time on.

Totally.

To appreciate design and colours and lines and angles, let alone be good at recreating them, is for sure a skill that not everyone possesses. I walk around, metaphorically speaking, with my eyes closed, and I'm sure my pictures would be like Jill's (and I wouldn't have the patience to get better at it because I'm not interested enough). I have great admiration for more artistically-inclined people and the work they put into making things look nice. 

53 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

If this isn't "wtf did I get myself into" face I don't know what is. :pb_lol: 

tumblr_inline_pdhtu1H9M01tacqfz_500.jpg

OMG. I was always a really good student and I went to a top 20 law school. When I started, I was pretty confident in my ability to do this law school thing. That first day of law school was like getting hit by a "You are totally inadequate and all of these people are smarter than you" truck. I immediately ran to the bookstore and bought every study guide I could find and then went home and cried. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

If this isn't "wtf did I get myself into" face I don't know what is. :pb_lol: 

Did you take the picture??? or did a source send it to you???? this is SO WONDERFUL 

THANK YOU SOURCE !!! we love you and want you to join FJ 

Just now, nst said:

Did you take the picture??? or did a source send it to you???? this is SO WONDERFUL 

or someone sent it to you - THANK YOU SOURCE !!! we love you and want you to join FJ 

lol its from Keeping Up With Fundie's tumblr. Though if I were Pickles I'd probably call it a super secret source. 

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

lol its from Keeping Up With Fundie's tumblr. Though if I were Pickles I'd probably call it a super secret source. 

and he is the only one in a white shirt...suspect - I think not.  I think a plant 

14 minutes ago, nst said:

THANK YOU SOURCE !!! we love you and want you to join FJ 

It’s from the schools Facebook which is public. 

12 minutes ago, artdecades said:

It’s from the schools Facebook which is public. 

well then ever better.  clearly someone is doing their job aka the school 

and this means and speaks volumes. 

white shirt, derick, classroom 

tipped off 

IMHO...

Derrick is a lost soul career wise.... 

He graduated from decent accredited school with a 4 year degree in Accounting.  Had a reasonable good entry level job at Walmart. Unfortunately during his college years, his father passed away, this I believe was key in hooking him up with the crazy controlling JImBoob and a turning point in his life.  The start of his descent.  

Had he not connected with the Boob as a prayer partner,  (substitute father figure) and thus introduced to the missionary wantabe, no concept of real life on the mission field  clingy  Jill,  I could see  Derrick still working at Walmart,  perhaps going on short term mission / humanitarian trips to various countries. Possible marrying a conservative Christian gal at some point in time. 

But he hooked up with the Boob,  was "sold" Boob's favorite daughter Jilly-Muffin  and than went of off of the Fundie Deep End. 

He was an accountant,  a full time missionary (language school & cultural immersion), he  returned from scary central america  to  pursue ministry in the states through  internship through cross church. He quit or was fired from TLC.  Now Law School.  I highly doubt he will finish law school.  jilly-Muffin will not be able to cope with the hours he will be away. 

51 minutes ago, SayWhat said:

IMHO...

Derrick is a lost soul career wise.... 

He graduated from decent accredited school with a 4 year degree in Accounting.  Had a reasonable good entry level job at Walmart. Unfortunately during his college years, his father passed away, this I believe was key in hooking him up with the crazy controlling JImBoob and a turning point in his life.  The start of his descent.  

Had he not connected with the Boob as a prayer partner,  (substitute father figure) and thus introduced to the missionary wantabe, no concept of real life on the mission field  clingy  Jill,  I could see  Derrick still working at Walmart,  perhaps going on short term mission / humanitarian trips to various countries. Possible marrying a conservative Christian gal at some point in time. 

But he hooked up with the Boob,  was "sold" Boob's favorite daughter Jilly-Muffin  and than went of off of the Fundie Deep End. 

He was an accountant,  a full time missionary (language school & cultural immersion), he  returned from scary central america  to  pursue ministry in the states through  internship through cross church. He quit or was fired from TLC.  Now Law School.  I highly doubt he will finish law school.  jilly-Muffin will not be able to cope with the hours he will be away. 

And when is mother experienced a very critical medical condition, he very likely doubled down. As much as people think Jill was hosed in the union deal, DD was equally sold a false bill of goods.

Eh, I think Dwreck always had an entitlement issue. I don't think his father passing away -- which is horrible -- can continue to be an excuse for his behavior. It's very clear by the way Cathy acts on social media that she raised him to be exactly the way he is now. 

Agree with SassyPants.

IMHO...

Jill wanted to be a fundie missionary - mid wife - Mother of a billion kids  superstar.  She most likely projected to Derrick confidence and was self assured  in  what she wanted in life.  She was the all star Duggar daughter.  

She had no concept of  the reality of full time missionary life, the reality of having Baby toddlers on the mission field.  She never lived away from home. Never experienced life away from the Duggar compound. The closest thing was short term, family mission trips.  But a two or three week mission trip with your family is not the same as relocating with your husband and small children.  The reality of her life did not match the fantasy she envisioned.  

Also the reality of her birth experiences was not what she was expecting. My guess is she expected to easily pop out a billion kids.  I also guess they are doing some sort of natural family planning.  

I fault the Boob and Mechelle for setting unrealistic expectations.

3 hours ago, nst said:

and he is the only one in a white shirt...suspect - I think not.  I think a plant 

At least 1/2 of the male students in that picture are wearing collared dress shirts of various colors.  One male is wearing a collared dress shirt (white or cream) and a suit jacket.  What do you think the significance is of Derick wearing a white shirt?  

My daughter is in graduate school where they are expected to dress business casual to classes, internships, practicums, etc.  Jeans are acceptable in some instances but they are expected to be paired with shoes (not flip flops, etc) and a dressy shirt.  I would expect to see this in many professional programs - although oddly her friend in Law School at the same University dresses down routinely.

33 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Eh, I think Dwreck always had an entitlement issue. I don't think his father passing away -- which is horrible -- can continue to be an excuse for his behavior. It's very clear by the way Cathy acts on social media that she raised him to be exactly the way he is now. 

Not tying  to use his Father's  passing as an excuse for his horrid  behavior.  He owns his behavior and actions.  

I do see his father's death as turning point in his life.  The butterfly that set him up to become a Duggar.    When we were first introduced to him and his family, he had a good job.  TLC and the Duggars created an entitlement grifting mentality.  He learned grifting from Boob.  

D-weck owns his choices and actions.  Leaving (or being fired from Counting on)  was either a  good choice or  good thing to have happens to the Dills. If they stopped using social media and took down their family website it would be another good choice for them.   

YMMV...

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived