IGNORED

Seewalds 35: Silence is Golden

VaSportsMom

On the subject of Jessa wearing unflattering clothes that make here look "fat": the girl had two babies one after the other. My mother had two children with the same age gap as Spurge and Henry, and she told me she's struggled with her weight ever since. I know plenty of women loose the baby weight like it's nothing, but for others it changes their bodies. Not that it matters either way--she looks gorgeous regardless. 

I know that Jessa put herself in the public and blah blah blah but I really can't stand it when we body shame these young women. People might not realize they are doing it, but that's a side effect of saying "her lips are fat, her face is fat, she is so bloated." It sends such a terrible message, not just to Jessa if she were to stumble upon it, but to any person struggling with body image, weight loss, or eating disorders. 

Also, I love all of the pop culture on the Seewald kids' clothes with Henry's Seasame Street diapers and Spurgeon's Paw Patrol shirt. I hope they actually watch those shows, particularly Seasame Street. Seasame Street is my jam. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Derick can relate to his kids at this age. He doesn't seem the type to get down and get all silly with them. He seems really stiff and uncomfortable. Ben seems to be a big kid, he's still pretty young and he did grow up with a lot of younger siblings. I think that does help him be more comfortable with kids, but it's also personality. Ben just seems to have a more laid back style, that fits in well with being jumped on and playing in a diaper box. 

From what I see, Ben is pretty good at being a father. It's actually a relief he treats his kids...as kids and actually talks with them, plays with them.

Dwreck spent his childhood being spanked with a wooden spoon if I remember correctly. He probably darent play silly. Me thinks silly play and fooling around wasn't allowed during his childhood. IMO obvs. 

I kind of want to see how Ben would interact with a daughter. Part of me thinks Jessa wouldn't carry the sister mom model over to her own children because she seemed to dislike  it herself. Now Jill on the other hand I'm scared to see her and Derick with a daughter that child will be doomed for sure. 

20 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I kind of want to see how Ben would interact with a daughter. Part of me thinks Jessa wouldn't carry the sister mom model over to her own children because she seemed to dislike  it herself.

Didn't Ben congratulate his sister for becoming a police officer recently? This is probably a stretch, but maybe he would be willing to let his daughters have careers if that's what they truly want. But again, that's probably a stretch. 

32 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Dwreck spent his childhood being spanked with a wooden spoon if I remember correctly. He probably darent play silly. Me thinks silly play and fooling around wasn't allowed during his childhood. IMO obvs. 

A lot of parents who believe in spanking and corporal punishment still let their kids play and act silly. Practicing spanking does not equal hating normal childhood behavior. The world isn't that black and white. I myself disagree with the use of spanking, but a lot of cultures and sub cultures still consider it perfectly normal, and they don't all hate their kids. For all we know, Ben also hits his kids. 

Just now, BernRul said:

Didn't Ben congratulate his sister for becoming a police officer recently? This is probably a stretch, but maybe he would be willing to let his daughters have careers if that's what they truly want. But again, that's probably a stretch. 

Yes Derick did congratulate his sister on her new career. of all the Duggar spouses Ben seems the one most willing to bend if even a little. Derick will never bend on anything. he knows it all and nothing will change that. Jeremy also seems very set in his ways even if they are slightly diffrent then Derick's. don't even get me started on Anna Austin is too entrenched in Fort rock which is just another version of Duggerville and Kendra seems to love that kool-aid. Lauren it may be too early to tell but I doubt she'll change her views. 

13 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I was just thinking of that awful video Jill posted where Derick was reading the Bible to the boys.  He was holding down poor Sam who kept trying to escape, and totally ignored Israel when he spoke.  It was a stark combination of age-inappropriate boring and selfish assholes parenting.

It's a world away from Ben wriggling in a diaper box with his boys on the floor.

I wouldn’t be too sure that there aren’t  the exact same scenes at the Seewald House. They are just not showing them (and why would you?). They are obsessed with Jesus and the Bible so much it would be weird if they didn’t read it to the boys and I don’t think they use a children’s version. 

1 minute ago, just_ordinary said:

I wouldn’t be too sure that there aren’t  the exact same scenes at the Seewald House. They are just not showing them (and why would you?). They are obsessed with Jesus and the Bible so much it would be weird if they didn’t read it to the boys and I don’t think they use a children’s version. 

Oh I'm sure the Seewalds do read the bible to  the toddlers  but I doubt they do it in a Dillard way basically pinning babies in their lap and forcing them to listen, even well the baby is clearly in distress. there are things we don't see for sure and they are savvey no doubt but they really do seem to love and care for their boys in a way the Dillards just don't.

11 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

But we know they read other books to the kids, like Peter Rabbit and basic picture-books for learning words. Jessa is also always posting videos of the boys playing together or with her and Ben, and they're always engaged and enthusiastic and age-appropriate. I know that we only see what they choose to show us, but from everything we see, Jessa is pretty sensitive to whether they're enjoying it and when they are losing patience/becoming distressed. I do think the Seewalds are better at giving their kids age-appropriate activities, and a lot of that is because they are tuned-in to them and actually enjoy seeing them have fun. I don't think that comes so naturally to Jill and Derrick.

I really can't see Ben holding Henry down and reading the bible to him as Derick did to Samuel. It's not a matter of whether or not they read the bible to their boys, of course they do! It's whether they do it as Derick did, ignoring the needs of both Israel and Samuel. 

42 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

But we know they read other books to the kids, like Peter Rabbit and basic picture-books for learning words. Jessa is also always posting videos of the boys playing together or with her and Ben, and they're always engaged and enthusiastic and age-appropriate. I know that we only see what they choose to show us, but from everything we see, Jessa is pretty sensitive to whether they're enjoying it and when they are losing patience/becoming distressed. I do think the Seewalds are better at giving their kids age-appropriate activities, and a lot of that is because they are tuned-in to them and actually enjoy seeing them have fun. I don't think that comes so naturally to Jill and Derrick.

honestly I consider Jill a mini Michelle oh she may be going away from her up bringing slightly in the clothes division where Jessa is sticking but when it comes to kids Jill seems to see those boys as props here lets take this picture or post this on line. I can see her in 10 years having no clue what her son's actually enjoy well she pretends she knows it all just like Michelle. Jessa seems to stick closer some of the things then Jill did but she also seems to rebel in the way she raises her children unlike Michelle and Jill she actually seems to enjoy her boys. and I never heard her say that Spurgeon needed a sibling so he could learn to share.  which is exactly what Jill said about Izzy. 

Derick was reading a story about a shepherd boy giving baby Jesus a lamb. Not terrible, but no expression, no stopping to point to the pictures, and of absolutely no interest to little Sammy. Don't think Israel got much out of it either.

I am a total heathen.  I do not remember a baby Jesus getting a lamb from a sheppard boy.

Some wise guys arrived 12 days later with gifts.  The sheppards came and left as far as I recall.

2 hours ago, Greendoor said:

I am a total heathen.  I do not remember a baby Jesus getting a lamb from a sheppard boy.

Some wise guys arrived 12 days later with gifts.  The sheppards came and left as far as I recall.

Pretty sure it isn't a bible story, much like the Little Drummer Boy.

27 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

tumblr_pdw1yr2LZC1qat6lq_500.png

Jessa once again confirms that she is not pregnant.

"You're third" SMH....

Well, she is funny.  Cannot deny that!  I wish that humor could be directed for good instead of . . . oh well, :deadhorse:

I do appreciate Jessa's sense of humor in dealing with stupid people's comments. I do get a sense that Ben has some love of learning and education. I don't see him forbidding his daughter from all kinds of study and learning. I don't see him preventing a daughter from having a legitimate job. I just think he will emphasiase more that she will be a stay at home mom once she gets more married and has children.  I think Ben is certainly traditional and conservative. I just don't get an isolated, fear driven vibe in his headship that JB often gives off. (I have no doubt Ben has his share of unpleasant views.)

That was a funny answer. I wonder if any of them ever think it would be fun to mess with people over that. Think of how much fun it would be! Take a couple pictures of Jessa hiding behind someone or a hand on her belly or from the neck up. Or put a ball under shirt that gets bigger then smaller, then bigger.  

8 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

That was a funny answer. I wonder if any of them ever think it would be fun to mess with people over that. Think of how much fun it would be! Take a couple pictures of Jessa hiding behind someone or a hand on her belly or from the neck up. Or put a ball under shirt that gets bigger then smaller, then bigger.  

That’s totally what I’d do. She might not want to anger her actual fans though. 

And really, who says that? To someone that hasn’t announced they’re pregnant?

She can be funny, that Jessa. I get a kick out of her sometimes. 

I agree that they have to deal with a lot of stupid comments regarding pregnancy or lack thereof, but they constantly fan the flames of speculation purposely.  I mean, she just did an article for US Mag after Felicity was born talking about how she has 'baby fever', when one of her sons still is a baby.  She could shut down the speculation pretty easily if she instead said she has content with the two she has for right now.  So yeah, people are going to speculate every time they 'see' a bump.  

Ehhh...her parents made a killing and supported their family on their reproductive success. The second generation fundies have all voiced their belief in accepting "all the babies God would provide." They (adult, married Duggars) have voice their disdain for BC. The only reason Jessa has a TV show and easy income is because of her parents...and her parents' reproductive success. Of course people are going to be curious as to Jessa's (and her sibs) reproductive status. Rightly or wrongly....Her parents built their house of cards on reproduction....they sold it to the public...Jessa is doing the same. 

Too bad, so sad.

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Ehhh...her parents made a killing and supported their family on their reproductive success. The second generation fundies have all voiced their belief in accepting "all the babies God would provide." They (adult, married Duggars) have voice their disdain for BC. The only reason Jessa has a TV show and easy income is because of her parents...and her parents' reproductive success. Of course people are going to be curious as to Jessa's (and her sibs) reproductive status. Rightly or wrongly....Her parents built their house of cards on reproduction....they sold it to the public...Jessa is doing the same. 

Too bad, so sad.

I don't think they all have.  Specifically I don't think Jinjer has. But yes, I'm not surprised at the speculation.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived