IGNORED

Seewalds 35: Silence is Golden

VaSportsMom

21 minutes ago, nst said:

i remember buying vhs tapes endlessly to tape stuff.  Scary how much I spent. 

I had endless tapes of DOOL :D

i still have the first wedding of J&J - that and the episode where Dr. Greene kills the baby on ER. I should get rid of them. 

I remember one Halloween there was a Sebrina the Teenage witch marathon on. I wanted to watch it but of course I wanted to trick or treat too so in went the tapes. as for DOOL I used to watch that with my grandma.  and ER I remember having my  grandma tape the episode  where the twins were born. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I decided to wiki this and here is what I found. 

Wow. I strongly identify with this, as someone on the cusp of Baby Boomer - Gen X. Sooo true. Also, my experience of being a teen in the late 70’s / early ‘80s is that all of the dangerous parts and recklessness of the previous decade were readily available - without any of the idealism. Not so much “ free love” cause - yay! The pill! As random hook ups cause you’re high. And you’re high because drugs are everywhere, not because you want to expand your consciousness. 

I See some of the differences in older and younger millennials too. My oldest kids are early 80’s babies, and I think their cultural background noise growing up was closer to mine, than to their younger siblings who are ten years younger. And I assume far different than those born in the late nineties- who started middle school after the internet and a camera and access to God Knows What was in every pocket. 

As parents though - the millennials share something I both envy and am VERY glad I missed - the constant comparisons and information and tips and fear and sharing and support and judgement of that 24/7 info stream. 

One major difference between older/younger Millennials is that the younger Millennials are society’s first digital natives. The MathBoys are older Millennials. When they were elementary age we got our first internet connection at home, which was dial-up. My classroom had no Internet connection. MathBoy 1.0 taught himself C language from a library book as a fourth grader on an Apple IIe with no internet connection. Neither MathBoy had a cell phone in high school. Over just a few years there was a world of difference for kids. A single stationary classroom computer became a small cluster of computers. Tablets for small groups started to become common in classrooms. Internet was available in classrooms and in many homes. Wifi capability was wired throughout schools. Kids began having their own computers and cell phones. As a result, their relationship with technology is vastly different than older Millennials. It has definitely had educational implications.

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I was born in 66, so that makes me a GenXer, but I identify more with BoomerII people because my friend group skewed older. 

I was born in 62 so I'm technically a boomer and that fits for me (most of my friends are 15-20 years older than me), but at some point I realized that most people my age don't feel like boomers even though they technically are.  So the official boomer-gen x boundary might be 1964, but on the ground it seems like people's cultural identification breaks closer to about 1962 or even a year or so earlier.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I got my first flip phone in 2006! I thought that I was so cool. Now I look at my iPhone and think about how much has changed in 12 years! My second phone was one of those texting phones with the built in keyboard, it was purple and indestructible. My third phone was a Samsung Galaxy, it was my first smartphone. And now I'm onto iPhone, but I drool over Google Pixels! 

I got my first flip phone around 2007 -- and it is still my only cell phone! :lol:

28 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I was born in 62 so I'm technically a boomer and that fits for me (most of my friends are 15-20 years older than me), but at some point I realized that most people my age don't feel like boomers even though they technically are.  So the official boomer-gen x boundary might be 1964, but on the ground it seems like people's cultural identification breaks closer to about 1962 or even a year or so earlier.

I got my first flip phone around 2007 -- and it is still my only cell phone! :lol:

I reluctantly parted with my flip phone a year ago. I love my smart phone now but at times I miss the simplicity of the flip. 

I can’t find a single place where Ben and Jessa publicly congratulated Ben’s sister Jessica (whose politics I abhor but at least she’s aiming for a career) for graduating from the police academy. They don’t even seem to follow her on social media. Is it a case of they publicly forgive a brother who molests Jessa but a sister doing a traditionally “male” job doesn’t get a pass? Or are they still annoyed she announced Spurgeon’s birth before the People article came out? 

I was born in 64.  More often than not I identify with Gen X not The Boomers.  The fact that my sister and many friends skew a couple of years younger than I am may be a factor.   I also subscribe to the theory that Gen X really began circa 1960 or 1961.  Back in the 90's I read a couple of books on Generational Patterns by William Strauss & Neil Howe on the subject.  In addition to starting Gen X sooner - they also start the Boomers earlier dating it from the beginning of WWII rather than the end.  They use a variety of socio-economic-political factors for this.  When I discussed it with my mom (born in 1932) she agreed that the boom really began at the beginning of WWII.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory

6 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

I can’t find a single place where Ben and Jessa publicly congratulated Ben’s sister Jessica (whose politics I abhor but at least she’s aiming for a career) for graduating from the police academy. They don’t even seem to follow her on social media. Is it a case of they publicly forgive a brother who molests Jessa but a sister doing a traditionally “male” job doesn’t get a pass? Or are they still annoyed she announced Spurgeon’s birth before the People article came out? 

I am in the theory for the bolded. 

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I was born in 64.  More often than not I identify with Gen X not The Boomers.  The fact that my sister and many friends skew a couple of years younger than I am may be a factor.   I also subscribe to the theory that Gen X really began circa 1960 or 1961.  Back in the 90's I read a couple of books on Generational Patterns by William Strauss & Neil Howe on the subject.  In addition to starting Gen X sooner - they also start the Boomers earlier dating it from the beginning of WWII rather than the end.  They use a variety of socio-economic-political factors for this.  When I discussed it with my mom (born in 1932) she agreed that the boom really began at the beginning of WWII.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory

Thanks for sharing this! Really fascinating. Especially the theories on types an generational cycles. I can really see this in different aged people in my life. And the current political situation. Definitely agree with the year breakdowns you mentioned, As an early sixties baby born to WW11 babies. 

8 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

I don't think that Ben or Jessa have followed Jessica Seewald for a very long time. If I remember at the time of Henry's birth it was pointed out that Jessa at the very least didn't follow Jessica. They do see her from time to time because she does have some pictures with her nephews. I just don't think that they are close. Which may just be lifestyle differences, Jessica doesn't date with purpose, she's had a couple of boyfriends, wears shorts/pants, and seems to watch Supernatural which wouldn't be cool with the uber fundie crowd. 

I think with any of the Generations, if you are on either end of them within 5 years, it get's mushy. Like me for example, I'm '77 and I DEFINITELY identify more X, but there is a little  Gen Y, I guess. I relate a little less to the people born in 1965 for example. 

So Ben's sister graduated from Police School, good for her !   Ben probably didn't congratulate her. 

Ben most likely  doesn't approve of his sister's career choice because some fundies do not believe woman should be police officers as they would have authority over men. I believe this crap stems from John  Piper.  

Piper has done a ton of damage to Christian woman.

https://relevantmagazine.com/god/john-piper-thinking-women-probably-shouldnt-police-officers-reveals-flaws-gender-theology/

So what is it Ben that you do  a living Ben ?  How do you provide for your family ?  Per your beliefs Ben you are to provide for your family.

12 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

Ben hasn't posted on instagram for a long time and he post on twitter but not a ton. I think it could be Jessa deals with her family  and Ben deals with his and he just can't be bothered. Jessa did mention Ben's mom on mother's day but that's it for his family. Plus Jessa seems to have stopped congratulating her own family on things (Unless they are for Jinger.)  I don't remember her mentioning Garrett's birth, Josiah's wedding or Jabbie's courtship or engagement . 

Generational technological differences: I'm a millennial through and through (and tired as fuck of all the older people blaming people born in the 90s for everything from the current economic situation to their navel lint smelling funny) and I realize that one downside of instant, constant communication with my friends all over the world is that someone not promptly responding to me (especially when I need/expect a response) sends me into "OMG THEY GHOSTED ME/DIED IN A DITCH/GOT KIDNAPPED BY ISIS WHO BRAINWASHED THEM INTO GHOSTING ME AND THEN KILLED THEM IN A DITCH" mode, even though I know that's totally irrational. It's incredible that I can keep in touch with friends on three continents, learn about anything in the world in just a couple of keystrokes (seriously I can't imagine doing my Master's without internet), buy furniture in five minutes, or see what Jessa Duggar has been up to lately at any given moment, but the instantaneousness of it all has really conditioned away a lot of my patience and perhaps some level of object constancy. It's interesting from a psychological perspective. 

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

tired as fuck of all the older people blaming people born in the 90s for everything from the current economic situation to their navel lint smelling funny

This is so funny. I can't stop laughing. 

Consumerism definitely started in the 80's, but rose to prominence in the 90's.

I don't blame the 90's for anything... BUT I am sad the 90's fashions came back. 

Say what you want about the 80's...

Yes I'm one of those people who you're complaining about! :5624796376c5f_BattletoadsareAWESUMcool:

Gen X here...

How can we blame millennials for anything really?  They are only now just starting to adult.  Lol.  Seriously, I remember the WWII generation calling us Gen Xers the “slacker” generation.   We out grew it!  

1 hour ago, Timetostoplurking said:

Gen X here...

How can we blame millennials for anything really?  They are only now just starting to adult.  Lol.  Seriously, I remember the WWII generation calling us Gen Xers the “slacker” generation.   We out grew it!  

So true about every younger generation being called lazy/ unruly/ unmotivated etc etc etc..... since forever. 

Technically though, the oldest millennials are in between 35 and 38 .... and some of those are not only adulting - but are the parents of teens and young adults. ( and some are even grandparents - yikes ! ) . While others the same age are just starting to think about having kids. Not to mention, of course the huge gap they have with a 22 year old. It’s another complicating factor in generational cohorts. 

I was born in 82, so I think by most calculations I am a millennial, and honestly, that confused me when I first realized it. I definitely relate less to people born in the early 90's, than those in the late 70's.  And once I realized it, all the talk about millennials amused me, because people go off on millenials like they're all teenagers, when in reality, most of them are not (or maybe all... what is the next generation after mellenials, and when did it start?)

With that said, I agree that I'm part of a really cool bridge group, whatever it's called, that remembers rotary phones and typewriters, and yet got to be a part of technology taking over the world. 

Ben commented on his mom’s Facebook post about his sister. He seems genuinely supportive of his sister’s ambitions. I don’t think that Ben is judgmental about what I would consider non-theological issues.

0AE31E67-54EA-49D2-BDAD-BF45994FCDEC.jpeg

Born in the 80s I guess that qualifies for a millennial but definitely don't feel like I belong to that group. I barely use any of the social media stuff Facebook and even less of Twitter. I still have a flip phone and will until my brother follows through on his threat to give my dad and me smartphones I've never had an interest in getting a new phone because mine works fine.  I have a hard time buying new stuff when what I have still works. Like why by a laptop when I have a perfectly good desktop? I think that puts me in an older generation possibly my dad's. Because he's definitely of don't throw anything out when you can still use it generation. The I don't want new technology until we have no choice but then end up liking it generation. I don't text and probably won't get into until my nephew does. I didn't want a kindle until I found books that were out of stock but you could download through kindle. And yes I'd still rather watch TV and movies on my TV and not on my laptop.   

8 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Born in the 80s I guess that qualifies for a millennial but definitely don't feel like I belong to that group. I barely use any of the social media stuff Facebook and even less of Twitter. I still have a flip phone and will until my brother follows through on his threat to give my dad and me smartphones I've never had an interest in getting a new phone because mine works fine.  I have a hard time buying new stuff when what I have still works. Like why by a laptop when I have a perfectly good desktop? I think that puts me in an older generation possibly my dad's. Because he's definitely of don't throw anything out when you can still use it generation. The I don't want new technology until we have no choice but then end up liking it generation. I don't text and probably won't get into until my nephew does. I didn't want a kindle until I found books that were out of stock but you could download through kindle. And yes I'd still rather watch TV and movies on my TV and not on my laptop.   

Kindle and all things like that don't even get me started. I love to read but I hate reading books on Kindle and only do so under protest. I love to enter book giveaways on instagram and goodreads but not if they are Ebooks. 

On 8/16/2018 at 3:11 AM, naatashamaru said:

I'm a Millennial ('87) and I read an article somewhere that within the strictly Millennial age group there is even a difference between Older Millennials (80-89) and Younger Millennials (90-98)...like our experience has been different. Especially given the Market crash of 2007-2009...hit older ones harder and their outlook on life is different because we were all trying to graduate college and couldn't find jobs. The younger ones were shielded by college and a bettering economy and don't have that attitude.

This indeed annoys me, I was trying to find my first real  job in 2011-2012, where it would take months to find a job (at least here in Europe, economy might be shifted a little bit compared to your side) and I would take a low-paying job just to be working.

Now I have collegues that are only 4-5 years younger than me but they started working a year ago where there was actually a shortage of  employees so they start with a way higher starting salary while I am still trying to grow from my crappy salary of 7 years ago.

At the same time I am now at the age of wanting to settle down and buy a house but I can't because the prices are through the roof. While I feel like those collegues will have the lower prices again in 5-10 years.

I like that the economy is doing better but I can't help feeling I am on the wrong side of the economic cycle. But maybe it is just the entitled millenial inside me talking :my_biggrin:

I'm born in '85, so a millenial then. Do not know how the generations are definied here in heathen North, but I guess I feel on the fringe of milleniaism. Still remember no Internett ;)

And still got entire Higher Ground on VHS just to look at Hayden Christensen, and being very disappointed when all he did in Star Wars was whine :p

This topic really fascinates me because I was born in 1985, but my younger brother was born in 1995. My husband was born in 1976. I would say overall that my life course has been more similar to my husband then my brother's.

This article in the Atlantic really explained things to me about my brother that I never understood before. They put him on the cusp of what they called the post millennial generation, and this is one of the first researchers into that area. Basically, they are young adults who are 22 and younger. That generation has lower rates of what you might call risky adolescent behaviors than ever before ( getting into car accidents, problem drinking, having sex, teen pregnancy, even dating). They're less likely to leave the house without their parents, with kids in grade 12 leaving the house as often without their parents today as kids in grade 8 used to. They're also significantly less likely to have a job in high school. Anxiety and depression have also skyrocketed among teenagers since 2012. Of course the reasons are complicated, with the economy and parenting styles being different than before. That particular researcher says the biggest difference between before and after 2012 has been the smartphone. The post Millennials are more likely to socialize online that in person compared to other generations, which correlates with going out less together then previous generations when they were young adults.

As a millennial, I do find it annoying to constantly hear about how entitled my generation is. I think prioritizing a greater work-life balance and investing more into hobbies and relationships can sometimes be mistaken for laziness. I've noticed that my parents tend to emphasize the sacrifices they made working 70 hour weeks when they started their careers, which is just not something I'm willing to do. That doesn't mean I'm complaining if I have to work late some evenings to meet a deadline but I'm not going to give all my evenings and weekends away.

My husband is on the cusp of being Gen X and he sometimes has little patience with hipster culture or feels that Millennials are more emotive and self-referential. Sometimes I think he might have a point- ex. he sometimes feels that the Twitter outrage machine is very polarizing without accomplishing any meaningful advocacy. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself very well here, but he would mean that left-leaning millennials might be too quick to pile on when criticizing the right without really analyzing the issue (like the critics of left leaning silicon valley types who say in San Francisco it's heresy to question the received wisdom of Democratic positions). On the other hand he may be confounding different issues, but it's his perspective on where he feels different from millennials.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived