IGNORED

Seewalds 35: Silence is Golden

VaSportsMom

On 8/26/2018 at 3:03 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I think they were sincere when talking about adoption. But when people with no children (or with a very little baby) talk about the number of kids they want or about adopting, sometimes it's wishful thinking and plans change as parents become exhausted because the kids...or because the bills.

This is so true. When I was in my 20's, I always talked about how I'd want 4-6 kids. Now I'm early 30's and not even a parent yet - just an aunt. I have seen just how exhausting children are, and I'm in the 0-2 camp right now. Mostly 0 because I'm not in a relationship, and I have seen how I could never do it on my own. I originally said I'd be a parent regardless if I got married or not. Now I don't think I could. 

On 8/26/2018 at 4:23 AM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I suspect they didn't intend to get pregnant with Henry so quickly after Spurgeon was born, but it happened. But now they are being a bit more careful, and the bigger gap we are seeing is more in line with the kind of spacing they actually want.

This is also what I suspect. I think they've learned their lesson, and realize just how difficult parenthood is. I think the rest of their children will be spaced more equally, but I do think that unless they're serious in their adoption plans, I do think we'll see a pregnancy announcement from them by the end of 2018. 

On 8/28/2018 at 1:53 PM, SeekingAdventure said:

But a question to people from Arkansas (or nearby states?) How good is sushi there? I am always a bit sceptic about sushi in countries that do not have access to the ocean. And I mean countries in Europe, in the US obviously it is states. I didn't even think twice about eating sushi in BC or in Seattle, California etc, and I'd eat seafood in spain too, but it would never be my first choice for food in Austria... I generally connect sushi with a proximity to the Ocean, and feel a bit mixed about eating sushi in a country/state/place that is farther away. Am I the only one there? :shifty:

I live in Saskatchewan, which is smack dab in the middle of Canada, and completely land-locked. I don't like seafood, but people that do tend to eat it here and find it enjoyable. I think a lot of it is caught and then frozen fresh, so by the time it gets here, it's still fine. I am dubious about eating fish here though, and much prefer to wait until I get to BC to enjoy my fill. (That's for ocean fish, we have lots of lakes here and I'll eat lake-fish whenever since it's always fresh)

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm in the Des Moines area, we have a local grocery store that has not too bad sushi

I've been burned by Hy-Vee sushi before, if that's what you mean (but maybe it's gotten better since I last ate it?)

Jessa's avocado one was probably $3.95 and the raw tuna (could be salmon) probably $5.95. At least that's reasonable comparison to what we pay here in SE Michigan for those types of simple rolls. My favorite at the little hole in the wall type place is eel and avocado, topped with fresh (raw) ahi tuna and house sauce. It's $11.95 but SO worth it because they don't skimp on the portions of eel and tuna. Dang it now I'm hungry!

@mollysmom Hi fellow WNY-er!!  Wegman's has great sushi, I agree.  We live in the northtowns and our favorite restaurant place to get it is at the Steak Stone & Sushi.  There's one near the outlets in the Falls and one in Lockport.

In my experience in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT), a standard Salmon Avocado roll is about $8 and a signature roll can cost anywhere between $14-$20 each. Even at Wegman's it's about $8-$10/roll. I LOVE sushi but definitely need to eat sparingly for the sake of my wallet  :tw_heartbreak:

1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

@viii, being an aunt is wonderful and exhausting!

Being an aunt is wonderful AND exhausting! I'm disappointed that all my nieces and nephew live a plane ride away from me, I only get to see them a few times a year. It's exhausting when I'm there (a 2 year old, a set of 2 year old twins, and a newborn) but I always miss them desperately when I leave. 

2 hours ago, emscm said:

@mollysmom Hi fellow WNY-er!!  Wegman's has great sushi, I agree.  We live in the northtowns and our favorite restaurant place to get it is at the Steak Stone & Sushi.  There's one near the outlets in the Falls and one in Lockport.

Hi neighbor!!! :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave:  I've never heard of Steak Stone & Sushi but I'll definitely have to try it!!!!!!!!!! 

3 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

@viii, being an aunt is wonderful and exhausting!

It really is the best! You get children in your life that you can love and see grow up. But you can chose to only do the fun parts and it’s not your responsibility to raise them.

@viii I've actually been to Saskatchewan before :D People are usually really confused that I was there, because most Canadians wouldn't have been there, but it was only transit. And there's one city that i found in an atlas when I was 9 or 10 that sounded cool (might have to do with a name) so I wanted to go there.

But I wouldn't have necessarily thought of eating seafood there either.

BC has fantastic Sushi though.. I really miss BC. I should be able to get some good sushi in the next two months though. Alaska, northern BC, New England, and Oregon. YAY :D

8 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I've been burned by Hy-Vee sushi before, if that's what you mean (but maybe it's gotten better since I last ate it?)

It can be hit or miss there, certain stores have better product than others. 

HEB has good sushi too. I only like the cooked stuff, but it runs $8+ a roll.... sometimes it's my grocery shopping splurge, because I'm the only one who eats it, lol

19 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Jessa's avocado one was probably $3.95 and the raw tuna (could be salmon) probably $5.95. At least that's reasonable comparison to what we pay here in SE Michigan for those types of simple rolls. My favorite at the little hole in the wall type place is eel and avocado, topped with fresh (raw) ahi tuna and house sauce. It's $11.95 but SO worth it because they don't skimp on the portions of eel and tuna. Dang it now I'm hungry!

Hey! I'm around the SE Michigan area (just across the river) and I think I know that hole in the wall sushi place!! soooooooo gooooooood. 

I am okay with any place with a high turnover. Our grocery store has decent sushi - it'll do in a pinch. We don't have a good place in this town - but our OLD town had an amazing place (and we still get our Christmas Eve sushi there)  

we have zen sushi and they are high end - you can easily spend $50 at  meal for two..but those are special occasions, then we have really cheap and good sushi and you can get a good meal for $10 

but alas those days are over because who gave up rice because it's a carb 

drop the mic 

On 8/28/2018 at 2:53 PM, SeekingAdventure said:

I generally connect sushi with a proximity to the Ocean, and feel a bit mixed about eating sushi in a country/state/place that is farther away. Am I the only one there? :shifty:

From a safety perspective, FDA requires that fish served raw in the US be previously frozen at -20oC for 7 days to kill any potential parasites. So most sushi in the US is made from frozen fish that is defrosted at the restaurant (or should be if local agencies are properly enforcing health guidelines). Distance from the coast shouldn’t make a difference. I’m not familiar with what the guidelines are outside the US.

Therefore, I’m mostly wary of raw fish that has been sitting unrefrigerated for lengths of time (e.g. in a buffet line).

As for tastiness, I agree that excellent sushi can be found in any metropolitan area.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:19 AM, viii said:

This is so true. When I was in my 20's, I always talked about how I'd want 4-6 kids. Now I'm early 30's and not even a parent yet - just an aunt. I have seen just how exhausting children are, and I'm in the 0-2 camp right now. Mostly 0 because I'm not in a relationship, and I have seen how I could never do it on my own. I originally said I'd be a parent regardless if I got married or not. Now I don't think I could. 

This is also what I suspect. I think they've learned their lesson, and realize just how difficult parenthood is. I think the rest of their children will be spaced more equally, but I do think that unless they're serious in their adoption plans, I do think we'll see a pregnancy announcement from them by the end of 2018. 

I live in Saskatchewan, which is smack dab in the middle of Canada, and completely land-locked. I don't like seafood, but people that do tend to eat it here and find it enjoyable. I think a lot of it is caught and then frozen fresh, so by the time it gets here, it's still fine. I am dubious about eating fish here though, and much prefer to wait until I get to BC to enjoy my fill. (That's for ocean fish, we have lots of lakes here and I'll eat lake-fish whenever since it's always fresh)

*Waves*

I'm living in Alberta. The sushi here that I used to eat is oddly nothing compared to sushi that I use to eat n Newfoundland. Sushi from the East coast was so much better. 

Jessa has lost weight and looks fantastic this season. Now she needs to cut her hair to shoulder length. She won't, but it would look much better.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:40 PM, warriorblade8857 said:

From a safety perspective, FDA requires that fish served raw in the US be previously frozen at -20oC for 7 days to kill any potential parasites. So most sushi in the US is made from frozen fish that is defrosted at the restaurant (or should be if local agencies are properly enforcing health guidelines). Distance from the coast shouldn’t make a difference. I’m not familiar with what the guidelines are outside the US.

Therefore, I’m mostly wary of raw fish that has been sitting unrefrigerated for lengths of time (e.g. in a buffet line).

As for tastiness, I agree that excellent sushi can be found in any metropolitan area.

In the UK - and I think it's an EU regulation, so Europe too - sushi grade fish has to be pre-frozen to kill parasites. The good news is, this means it's deemed safe for pregnant people! I've had sushi once in my pregnancy and am thinking of going again tomorrow, but to a decent place that makes it to order rather than something that's been sitting about for hours.

2 hours ago, wandering woman said:

Jessa has lost weight and looks fantastic this season. Now she needs to cut her hair to shoulder length. She won't, but it would look much better.

Or you know, she could leave her hair how she is comfortable. 

I'm envious of Jessa (and many of these fundies) for their ability to grow their hair past shoulder length and have it still be thick and voluminous. Yes, many of them would benefit from getting the split ends trimmed from time to time, but there are some really good hair genes in Fundieland.

The longest mine has ever gotten was bra strap length, but my hair is super fine and doesn't have the volume to match the length. I gave up trying to grow it years ago in favour of having fun with it- dying it funky colours and shaving parts of my head. Now I still have some fun colour happening, but am loving the shadow roots/ombre trend because it allows healthy regrowth. 

I had long hair as a teen.I'd just get a trim.I remember waiting for a trim.A few women asked "You aren't cutting that beautiful long hair,are you??My mother did look out for me...lol.We went to a beauty school...she'd say "No,not her.She got sent home last week." 

I have it waist-length,and butt-length.I've grown it out a few times,then donated it.But,the older I get,the more it seems to annoy me,get it my way,get caught on stuff.I usually keep it shoulder length,it may get close to my bra strap in length but I will usually go get it trimmed.

The last time I donated,I donate a 12 inch ponytail.I went to work the following Monday.Most of my friends were very complimentary.One says "Melon!Your hair!"She frowned like she was going to cry.Another said "Melon!Ilove your hair!You look 10 years younger!

I think the age gap has more to do with Henry's temperament vs Spurgeons. Jessa said that Spurgeon was an easy baby that weaned himself at 10 months, which made Jessa sad. Henry on the other hand is still nursing, seems to be a very clingy child, and I think co sleeps. I think if it were up to Jessa she would be popping out baby after baby like Michelle. I never get the feeling that they feel overwhelmed like Jill and Derick or Jinger and Jeremy (with other people's kids).

7 hours ago, crazysnark said:

I think the age gap has more to do with Henry's temperament vs Spurgeons. Jessa said that Spurgeon was an easy baby that weaned himself at 10 months, which made Jessa sad. Henry on the other hand is still nursing, seems to be a very clingy child, and I think co sleeps. I think if it were up to Jessa she would be popping out baby after baby like Michelle. I never get the feeling that they feel overwhelmed like Jill and Derick or Jinger and Jeremy (with other people's kids).

I could agree with this! I have a emotionally needy, boob loving, sensitive, Velcro baby (hes 12 months) that believes sleep is only for the weak....and it's hard to find time to have "adult time".  Different temperaments also are ready to be big siblings at different times too. Like I'd prefer a baby sooner but I think my son needs an extra year of being the youngest. 

If henry is still nursing that can  slow the baby train too. Some women don't ovulate regularly until fully weaned for 2 months or so. I think if she was super serious about popping out a truckload of babies though snd nursing was hindering it, she'd just wean him like michelle did at 6 months. So who knows.

i guess another therory is that jinger got so much good press for waiting that she's jumping on that band wagon. 

We will probably never know.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived