IGNORED

Seewalds 35: Silence is Golden

VaSportsMom

The hair thing really gets me. The women/girls have really really nice hair - so do the Bates females. And that even though their diet was/is not what I would call healthy or balanced, they don’t seem to be very active physically (working out) and I don’t see them using tons of products. I also think they are experiencing stress and pressure like the rest of us (which can affect hair badly). What is their secret? I NEED to know. Is it all about the genetic lottery in the end? 

Someone is rather envious here.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

The hair thing really gets me. The women/girls have really really nice hair - so do the Bates females. And that even though their diet was/is not what I would call healthy or balanced, they don’t seem to be very active physically (working out) and I don’t see them using tons of products. I also think they are experiencing stress and pressure like the rest of us (which can affect hair badly). What is their secret? I NEED to know. Is it all about the genetic lottery in the end? 

Could it be that you just don’t believe in Jesus enough? :kitty-wink:

10 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

If so, the Duggar boys certainly lost in that genetic lottery.

In the fundie world, long, thick hair is prized in women as it's seen as more feminine. How many fundies with large families have you seen who have very short hair, God forbid somebody thought of them as "butchy"? I've only ever had one fundie friend in my life, she left that community when she got divorced (her husband was opposed to her going to graduate school, told her he had "tolerated" her 4 year hobby at a local college but enough was enough), and one of the first things she did when she broke free was to chop off her hair. Nothing too drastic, just to about shoulder length but that was still a good 6-8 inches shorter than before.

So if the fundie men are going for the women with thick, long hair and that's getting passed on to the daughters, it's not surprising a lot of them have pretty great hair.

Except for Josie, she's the only girl Duggar that I can think of who has really fine, thin hair.

5 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

In the fundie world, long, thick hair is prized in women as it's seen as more feminine.

It's not just that; they believe that God commands women to have long hair.

I Corinthians 11:3-15:

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

On 8/29/2018 at 6:13 PM, mollysmom said:

I live near Buffalo, NY & when I'm craving sushi I get it from Wegmans. It's actually REALLY good but I have nothing to compare it to.

I get veggie sushi at Wegmans, and I LOVE IT. Also a hidden gem in Lockport, NY, called ‘Steak Stone and Sushi’. My omnivore can get his meat fix, but they usually have 2-3 vegan options on the menu, too.

Win/win for us.

There’s a really good sushi place in St Catherine’s Ontario, but can’t recall the name, offhand.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Yeah, that book was written by dudes. Fundie dudes. And then translated and interpretated by dudes. Is this really what God cares about? The length of peoples hair? If they wear a hat or not? I can think of a few things I’d prioritize above those if I was God. :sad-bored:

59 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

I get veggie sushi at Wegmans, and I LOVE IT. Also a hidden gem in Lockport, NY, called ‘Steak Stone and Sushi’. My omnivore can get his meat fix, but they usually have 2-3 vegan options on the menu, too.

Win/win for us.

There’s a really good sushi place in St Catherine’s Ontario, but can’t recall the name, offhand.

Love Wegmans too and the veggie sushi. Funny so many of us from the area. 

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

If so, the Duggar boys certainly lost in that genetic lottery.

They can thank Michelle for that one.The female carries the gene for baldness.Does that include the receding hairline?

7 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

So I have thinning hair due to alopecia and a crap thyroid. I am always on the lookout for ways to cover the thinning, and came across a website that sold the most lovely headbands and hair coverings. Just so happened  they were Christians that cover, and it made me wonder why the duggars, bates, etc, don't also cover. Based on pics of their blog, they dress similar to the duggars but with a wide hair band or larger cover on their heads. 

5 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

So I have thinning hair due to alopecia and a crap thyroid. I am always on the lookout for ways to cover the thinning, and came across a website that sold the most lovely headbands and hair coverings. Just so happened  they were Christians that cover, and it made me wonder why the duggars, bates, etc, don't also cover. Based on pics of their blog, they dress similar to the duggars but with a wide hair band or larger cover on their heads. 

People like the Duggars typically believe that long hair is a covering, while others believe that the covering talked about in the Bible was a physical covering and not just long hair. Personally I'm on the latter side (if it's just hair then that implies that men are supposed to be bald!), while also believing that it doesn't actually matter!

From wikipedia:

Nature and hair lengths: In 1 Corinthians 11:13–15, Paul asks a rhetorical question about the propriety of headcoverings, and then answers it himself with a lesson from nature: “Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.” In this passage, some see Paul as indicating that since a woman naturally "covers" her head with long hair, she likewise ought to cover it with a cloth covering while praying or prophesying. Others interpreters see the statement "her hair is given to her for a covering" as indicating that all instances of headcovering in the chapter refer only to the "covering" of long hair.

You also have the divide over when to wear a covering. Some Christians believe that the praying and prophesying Paul writes about is just referring to church services, so you have groups like Catholics (traditionally) who require(d) covering in church but not outside, while other groups like many Anabaptists believe that it refers to all prayer and because you should pray continually (1 Thessalonians 5:17) then women should always wear head coverings.

23 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Would you mind sharing the website? I've been looking and can't find anything I like 

7 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

People like the Duggars typically believe that long hair is a covering, while others believe that the covering talked about in the Bible was a physical covering and not just long hair. Personally I'm on the latter side (if it's just hair then that implies that men are supposed to be bald!), while also believing that it doesn't actually matter!

From wikipedia:

You also have the divide over when to wear a covering. Some Christians believe that the praying and prophesying Paul writes about is just referring to church services, so you have groups like Catholics (traditionally) who require(d) covering in church but not outside, while other groups like many Anabaptists believe that it refers to all prayer and because you should pray continually (1 Thessalonians 5:17) then women should always wear head coverings.

And then there are those, like me, that believe the head should be covered mainly when you havn’t had time to wash your hair. :penguin-wink:

On 9/3/2018 at 2:52 PM, AtlanticTug said:

So if the fundie men are going for the women with thick, long hair and that's getting passed on to the daughters, it's not surprising a lot of them have pretty great hair.

That sounds a whole lot like ev-o-lution, missy.  :shakehead2:  I assume that you know your way to the prayer closet?

On 9/3/2018 at 10:36 PM, Iamtheway said:

Yeah, that book was written by dudes. Fundie dudes. And then translated and interpretated by dudes. Is this really what God cares about? The length of peoples hair? If they wear a hat or not? I can think of a few things I’d prioritize above those if I was God. :sad-bored:

Yeah, that part was written by Paul, Mr Fundie Dude who went from being a Jewish fundie to creating Christianity by mixing the Jewish teachings of Jesus with some Greek philosophy and his own personal issues and opinions. That man never even met Jesus, yet claimed to speak for him.

The typical asshat, first jerk on record to use Jesus' name to further his own agenda.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:18 PM, Irishy said:

Well that does it. I’m Gen X. I was born in ‘79 but I remember Challenger vividly 

I know I am late to the conversation but wanted to chime in. I am a 79er too. I never felt like I fit Gen X or Gen Y. I read something calling us The Oregon Trail Generation. We get tech like Gen Y but we also remember life before technology. It was really kinda cool.  

On 9/3/2018 at 8:52 PM, AtlanticTug said:

Evolution takes thousands years. It is not something that happens in a couple generations. In addition, your theory only can work if fundie girls with poor hair remain single or childless for centuries.

And well, fundie Bates and Duggars are young. I had a beautiful, thick, healthy hair when I was 20. Now I'm 41 and I have poor, thin hair. My mom and my grandma had the same process. I use expensive products to improve hair quality, but it's difficult, since genetics are playing hard.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived