IGNORED

Kendra, Joe, and Garrett Duggar: Part 11

Coconut Flan

I’m gaining on forty and still call my parents Mama and Daddy. My oldest started calling me Mother as a joke when she was 15 or so, but it stuck and now she calls me Mother or Mommy, which amuses me. The other children call me Mama and they all call my husband Daddy, even teenage son. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently called "Mother" complete with exasperated sigh and eye rolls. Admit it, you are all jealous. (May I survive these years).

I call my parents Mom and Dad.

2 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I am currently called "Mother" complete with exasperated sigh and eye rolls. Admit it, you are all jealous. (May I survive these years).

Best wishes that you make it. Having a teen daughter almost killed me!

I saw on another thread that JoKen’s Instagram handle is “littleduggarfamily.” Not exactly planning for the future there. I guess they can change it?

10 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I saw on another thread that JoKen’s Instagram handle is “littleduggarfamily.” Not exactly planning for the future there. I guess they can change it?

I think they mean little Duggars in the way that the “big” Duggars are Jim Bob and Michelle. I heard that was sort of an American thing (?). I’ve seen Zach and Whitney been referred to as the little Bates on Lily and Ellie’s blog for that reason. 

16 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

I think they mean little Duggars in the way that the “big” Duggars are Jim Bob and Michelle. I heard that was sort of an American thing (?). I’ve seen Zach and Whitney been referred to as the little Bates on Lily and Ellie’s blog for that reason. 

I feel like that username is a bit confusing though, because any of the Duggar boys’ families (or future families) could be called the “little Duggar family.” Anna often refers to her kids on Instagram with the hashtag “littleduggars”. I know it’s totally up to them, but I personally think Joe and Kendra could’ve chosen a more indentifying username to avoid confusion in the future.

3 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

I’ve seen Zach and Whitney been referred to as the little Bates on Lily and Ellie’s blog for that reason. 

Before Zach and Whitney were active on Instagram they had a blog with that name which is probably why Lily and Ellie refer to them by that name.

18 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I had to laugh at this. I was lucky and escaped the particularly horrific teenness of the teen years.  My son calls me Mama and my daughter calls me mom, I'm listed in her phone as "birth giver" I was mama when thy were little, my daughter would always say 'mama do' when she was little if something was difficult. I guess she caught on early me saying "let mama do that".  I was never mommy and dh was never daddy he was dad or pop. Saturday/Sunday mornings the kids loved to play the "hop on pop" game, where they would go running into the bedroom to walk him up by jumping on the bed.  

These is new JoKEn IG profile picture. Dont know how to post it, so i took it from same public fun page.

Im smelling pregnancy annoucment behinde that pitcure. ? Looks official and taken by a proffesional. 

We'll know soon if the annoucment comes.

1 hour ago, miss_batson said:

These is new JoKEn IG profile picture. Dont know how to post it, so i took it from same public fun page.

Im smelling pregnancy annoucment behinde that pitcure. ? Looks official and taken by a proffesional. 

We'll know soon if the annoucment comes.

I agree.  It looks like Kendra's right arm is bent like she's holding something.  A sign announcing second baby, perhaps?  Maybe a banner?  Joe could be holding the other end.  It does look professionally taken and it's suspicious that they haven't posted it on its own.  I expect this one is cropped and we'll get the announcement version soon. 

Honestly, I started speculating to myself based on their reaction to Jessa’s announcement... Joe seemed really confused, and it felt like Kendra wanted to say something more but didn’t/couldn’t. If Jessa announced to family around Christmas, and JoKen had just had a positive test, then now would be time for a public announcement 

My grandmother still refers to my grandfather as "Daddy" when she's speaking to her children, who are all 53+ years old. I've never heard a single one of them call him Daddy but I have to imagine it's just a habit that was established when they were little and she never fell out of it. I think sometimes a family just establishes a norm and don't really rethink it later on - I would guess that's the case in Kendra's family.

I call my cousins' (other) grandparents Grandma and Grandpa and recently realized that might be weird - it was a respect/cultural thing when I was young and never thought about it. But when it occurred to me to stop doing that I also realized I don't even know their first names! So I can't go that route and now I just feel awkward about the whole thing.

10 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I had to laugh at this. I was lucky and escaped the particularly horrific teenness of the teen years.  My son calls me Mama and my daughter calls me mom, I'm listed in her phone as "birth giver" I was mama when thy were little, my daughter would always say 'mama do' when she was little if something was difficult. I guess she caught on early me saying "let mama do that".  I was never mommy and dh was never daddy he was dad or pop. Saturday/Sunday mornings the kids loved to play the "hop on pop" game, where they would go running into the bedroom to walk him up by jumping on the bed.  

Omg I did this as a kid with my dad.   He’s been gone 9 years and I was just thinking of it the other day.  

3 hours ago, Eponine said:

My grandmother still refers to my grandfather as "Daddy" when she's speaking to her children, who are all 53+ years old. I've never heard a single one of them call him Daddy but I have to imagine it's just a habit that was established when they were little and she never fell out of it. I think sometimes a family just establishes a norm and don't really rethink it later on - I would guess that's the case in Kendra's family.

I call my cousins' (other) grandparents Grandma and Grandpa and recently realized that might be weird - it was a respect/cultural thing when I was young and never thought about it. But when it occurred to me to stop doing that I also realized I don't even know their first names! So I can't go that route and now I just feel awkward about the whole thing.

My kids only have one cousin and they call her grandparents Grandma and Grandpa, and she calls their other grandparents Nanny and Poppy. I never did transition out of Mommy and Daddy so I preferred to use "Mother" and "Father" jokingly until my kids came along,  and now just refer to them as Grammie and Grampie. 

Also, I've never been able to refer to my in laws by their names (it feels disrespectful for some reason) but I also can't force myself to call them mom and dad. I just avoid calling them by anything.

Weirdly enough, I never had that problem with my husband's grandmother. She was always "Nan". And he calls my grandmother "Gram" just like the rest of us.  It's all so weird. 

I'm actually pretty sure I've heard Kendra's dad refer to her mother as mommy on CO. 

Maybe it is a southern thing? My dad refers to his parents as Mother and Daddy (that's what they preferred being called) and he's in his 60's. A know a good bit of females who still use daddy into adulthood. I call my father Daddy, my younger sister prefers Dad though. Personally, I don't mind mommy if that's what my kids prefer to call me. I definitely prefer mama over mom though and hope to encourage them to use the former if they're willing. 

on Call the Midwife upper class Chummy called her father Pa and the Princes call Charles Pa. Is this very common in Britain?

12 hours ago, mpheels said:

Honestly, I started speculating to myself based on their reaction to Jessa’s announcement... Joe seemed really confused, and it felt like Kendra wanted to say something more but didn’t/couldn’t. If Jessa announced to family around Christmas, and JoKen had just had a positive test, then now would be time for a public announcement 

I agree. They looked like a kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar and trying to figure out how they got caught

Garrett is 10 months old, I would imagine there will be an announcement soon. They're young, healthy, and are not using protection; yeah, Schrodinger's Uterus for sure. 

He is so cute, and in this pic she looks really pretty, I've always thought she was a cute girl, but she now looks like a beautiful young woman, I guess motherhood suits her. As sad as that is at her age.  

ETA; and yes I'm expecting an announcement any time now from these two. 

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

on Call the Midwife upper class Chummy called her father Pa and the Princes call Charles Pa. Is this very common in Britain?

No. Mummy/Daddy or Mum/Dad are the most common by a long shot. 

10 hours ago, TZmom said:

Also, I've never been able to refer to my in laws by their names (it feels disrespectful for some reason) but I also can't force myself to call them mom and dad. I just avoid calling them by anything.

Yes! I’m absoutely in the same boat. I know my mother-in-law at least wants me to call her “mom”, but I can’t. She can sign cards as “Mom” all she wants — but its not happening. I have one, and to be honest, I’m not a huge fan of my mother-in-law. I could use their first names, but that seems to casual. So, somehow I manage to avoid it all together. Drives Mr. Kittens crazy, but when I ask him what he does for my parents he stopped fussing pretty quick...

This discussion is so interesting. I have never heard of people changing how they call their parents just because they are not children anymore. Sometimes a new name just comes up and establishes over time but it has never anything to do with growing up. Grandparents are called whatever but many use Oma/Opa for both sets. No confusion happening. You figure out fast which one is talked about or you use the first name with it (Oma X). At the same time no one I know uses those „names“ for in laws (obviously Oma/Opa if you talk to children) when talking to them. They are seen as too personal. We just use first names. Calling an in law Mrs./Mr. X would be strange and indicate a very frosty relationship. Same goes for the names of your gf/bf parents or other close adults as neighbours or the parents of your best friend. And that is from a young age.

Yeah I call my mother in law by her first name, it helps that she's a very informal person, but I grew up calling almost all adults other than teachers by their first names, so it doesn't feel weird to me.  At the college I went to all the professors were called by their first names too.  I think this is heavily regional within the US though---I grew up on the West Coast, but my dad is originally from Chicago, and I remember being absolutely shocked and kind of horrified at a family wedding there when I heard my cousin's bride address my aunt and uncle as Mr. and Mrs. Theologie. 

I also have the hardest time in Germany knowing whether to address someone with formal or informal pronouns/verb tenses. You have to guess at age, formality of the situation, "properness" of the other person, and regional variation, and I have no natural feel for it as very informal native English speaker.  In German class (in the US) they said basically always use the formal with adults older than college age if you're meeting them for the first time, but in practice I'm very often addressed informally by people under 50 (I'm 36) outside of an office setting. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived