IGNORED

Kendra, Joe, and Garrett Duggar: Part 11

Coconut Flan

So I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering this right but a friend once told me ages ago that in South America their names are Paco, Luis, and Hugo. 

ETA: Fact checked myself, I remembered right, and also discovered that in Spain they are called Jorgito, Juanito, and Jaimito. For some reason I find this topic fascinating lol.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

So I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering this right but a friend once told me ages ago that in South America their names are Paco, Luis, and Hugo. 

ETA: Fact checked myself, I remembered right, and also discovered that in Spain they are called Jorgito, Juanito, and Jaimito. For some reason I find this topic fascinating lol.

More interesting than the Duggars anyway.

4 hours ago, Eponine said:

I'm not sure there is any evidence that abortions have diminished the number of children born with relatively common disabilities, but if you have some I'd love to see it. I think this likely has more to do with advances in medical care and prenatal care. At least, I know of several people around my age who had issues at birth that left them with some form of disability, who likely wouldn't have that (or not as severe) if they had been born today with proper medical care. Also we are getting better at not always making disabilities very obvious to the casual viewer, depending on the issue.

Most fetuses that are aborted for medical reasons are have issues so severe it's unlikely you'd see them out on the street, for example. Again though I'd love to see any studies or evidence that shows abortions specifically are reducing the number of disabled people.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/05/how-down-syndrome-is-redefining-the-abortion-debate.html

Just FYI , I don’t know about other types of issues that can be detected prenatally. 

10 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I just googled their names in French. Riri, Fifi, and Loulou. That makes them sound like girls!! :pb_lol:

More like Chihuahua’s ?

I'm at home with the flu and this duck name thread drift is the best thing that's happened to me all week.  Thanks FJ! ?

12 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I also find it disturbing how a lot of fundies/pro-lifers fixate on "we COULD HAVE aborted Timmy" or "everyone WANTED US to abort Timmy", and practically pat themselves on the back for not aborting their disabled child; I detect a level of projection there. 

Especially disturbing when they harp on and on and on about it in front of the child in question. That's a hell of a message for your kid to internalise. 

There was a discussion with an ethics commissionwhether Huntington's disease should be a exemption to an anti-abortion law.

The president of the Chorea Huntigton's Group (all members suffer from the disease) stood up, said they are in favour of abortion in that case. Talk about a game-changer.

10 hours ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

I love all the different names for Huey, Dewey, and Louie :)

In Croatia, they are called Hinko, Dinko and Vinko. In Slovenia, Pak, Žak and Mak.

32 minutes ago, Tenyari said:

In Croatia, they are called Hinko, Dinko and Vinko. In Slovenia, Pak, Žak and Mak.

This is officially my favorite thread drift ever on Free Jinger. 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:59 PM, Mama Mia said:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/05/how-down-syndrome-is-redefining-the-abortion-debate.html

Just FYI , I don’t know about other types of issues that can be detected prenatally. 

Yeah this was the only one I could think of that might be an example of aborting a fetus with a fairly common/livable disability. At this point though, there aren't many medical problems that are 1) detectable that early, 2) have a pretty good lifespan/quality of life, but 3) the parents could make the choice to abort. Those statistics are really interesting though thanks!

On 1/25/2019 at 10:57 PM, Eponine said:

I'm not sure there is any evidence that abortions have diminished the number of children born with relatively common disabilities, but if you have some I'd love to see it. I think this likely has more to do with advances in medical care and prenatal care. At least, I know of several people around my age who had issues at birth that left them with some form of disability, who likely wouldn't have that (or not as severe) if they had been born today with proper medical care. Also we are getting better at not always making disabilities very obvious to the casual viewer, depending on the issue.

Most fetuses that are aborted for medical reasons are have issues so severe it's unlikely you'd see them out on the street, for example. Again though I'd love to see any studies or evidence that shows abortions specifically are reducing the number of disabled people.

You are right- there are no great studies. The best resource is probably the Eurocat Register which records congenital disabilities in 18 European countries. The data shows an abortion rate of 96% for Down syndrome in my country for example. But the data is old (2002) and only from two small regions so one could argue more than flawed. If you abort till your twelfth week you don’t have to give a reason. So I don’t think we will ever get really good data for this. 

I want to emphasise that I never hinted on any scientific background but that this a phenomenon that I believe to experience. I could be totally wrong (even though the flawed data that is accessible seems to support my experience) about it. I also mentioned Down Syndrome in my example specifically as it is in most cases a not life ending condition (like other congenital disabilities) and can often be detected quite early in pregnancy. It is also a disability that has nothing to do with how advanced medical care is. I also want to emphasise that I am not judging people for their decision in aborting a disabled baby. Thankfully, I haven’t been in this situation.

Wow, I didn't know Huey, Dewie, and Louie had different names in other countries I just assumed they were the same. All of those names are so cool. Also, what other characters have different names? Mickey and Minnie? Donald Duck? Goofy? Pluto?  

5 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Wow, I didn't know Huey, Dewie, and Louie had different names in other countries I just assumed they were the same. All of those names are so cool. Also, what other characters have different names? Mickey and Minnie? Donald Duck? Goofy? Pluto?  

In Spanish (Latin American bc aplarently in Spain they have other names) they are Hugo, Paco y Luis, Goofy is Tribilín, and Scrooge McDuck is Tío Rico McPato (Rich Uncle McDuck).

6 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

All the same in Dutch. Dagobert Duck too. Just pronounced differently.

26 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

All the same in Dutch. Dagobert Duck too. Just pronounced differently.

Dagobert is not the same in English, he is called Scrooge McDuck.

Next to Scrooge and Huey, Dewie, and Louie, we call Daisy different (Katrien) as well as Gladstone Gander (Guus Geluk).

The other bigger charaters are the same. 

7 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

In Italian Mickey Mouse = Topolino

Donald Duck =Paperino

Daisy Duck=Paperina

Scrooge McDuck = Zio Paperone (Paperon de'Paperoni)

Gladstone Gander = Gastone Paperone

Gyro Gearloose = Archimede Pitagorico

Grandma Duck = Nonna Papera

Fethry Duck = Paperoga

Goofy = Pippo

Beagle Boys = Bassotti

Chief Seamus O'Hara = Commissario Basettoni

Macchia Nera = Phantom Blot

Big Bad Pete = Pietro Gambadilegno, his wife is Trudy

Pluto and Minnie are the same.

40 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Dagobert is not the same in English, he is called Scrooge McDuck.

Next to Scrooge and Huey, Dewie, and Louie, we call Daisy different (Katrien) as well as Gladstone Gander (Guus Geluk).

The other bigger charaters are the same. 

Oh weird, I googled it and it gave the same one (dagobert). I forgot about Katrien.

In Danish: 

Goofy: Fedtmule (translates as "fat muzzle") 

Donald Duck: Anders And (Anders is the Danish form of Andrew and And is duck) 

Daisy Duck: Andersine (feminine form of Anders, a form of Andrew) 

Those are the only ones I know. 

My impression is that there are more people with Downs but fewer with things like post-polio disease, which I realize is unrelated to fetal testing.

I thought the number of people with Downs is going up because parents are getting older? But I just googled it and the rate has been the same over the last 15 years in Canada (I wonder about before): https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/healthy-living/down-syndrome-surveillance-2005-2013.html

I can't really think of other disabilities that you could detect in utero, besides ones that are really severe and often fatal (other trisomies for example).

Ahah! Further googling finds some American data: "Between 1979 and 2003, the number of babies born with Down syndrome increased by about 30%." https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/birthdefects/downsyndrome/data.html This could definitely not be true in your area, though.

Check out Iceland.  They're down to single digits a year.

In terms of Iceland and beyond the prevalent beliefs and screenings utilized, there are only 340,000 people in all of Iceland. 

Hahaha this thread drift is still going on. Love it.

I think in French Mickey Mouse was not translated, same with Minnie.

Donald Duck and Daisy are also called the same. Scrooge McDuck is called ''Oncle Picsou'' (which is a pun that roughly translates to stealer)

They have translated Goofy to ''Dingo''

Chip and Dale are called ''Tic et Tac''.

1 hour ago, Vivi_music said:

They have translated Goofy to ''Dingo''

Chip and Dale are called ''Tic et Tac''.

I remember that!! I visited Disneyland Paris when I was 5 or so, and wondered why on earth Chip and Dale signed my autograph book "Tic" and "Tac." Goofy was still Goofy though.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

In terms of Iceland and beyond the prevalent beliefs and screenings utilized, there are only 340,000 people in all of Iceland. 

Yet their rate has definitely declined over the years.

This graph if you click on Iceland shows the drop.  It compensates for the different population sizes.

https://gateway.euro.who.int/en/indicators/hfa_603-7120-births-with-downs-syndrome-per-100-000-live-births/visualizations/#id=19698

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived