IGNORED

Kendra, Joe, and Garrett Duggar: Part 11

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, PVMom said:

Image yourself trying to cook for 20 people.....Don't you think you'd have a hard time figuring out just how much of this or that to make?

Not if I did it three times a day, every day.  And as I was learning I'd think the mother of all those kids should be able to tell me how much to make to properly feed everyone.

1 hour ago, PVMom said:

This is why when dinner was ready everyone would come running, this is why I can see the food hoarding and secretly sneaking food.  

Food hoarding and sneaking are huge red flags of not getting enough to eat on a regular basis.  This isn't Halloween candy they are hoarding.

Not enough =/= starving to death.

1 hour ago, PVMom said:

Its not about money, its about food prep and lots of kids and grocery shopping for a huge family like that.

Again, something they do multiple times a day and grocery shopping for all those people every time.  They had multiple people working on meals every day....the prep and amount of food shouldn't be a surprise as if 19 strangers descended on one of us without warning demanding food.

I cook for my family (albeit fewer than 19) and if I make too much or too little of something I adjust for next time because I don't want anyone leaving the table hungry nor waste food.  They should have been far better at that than I, if limited food resources weren't the issue at times.

Your idealization of their life is unsettling, but a perfect example of what TLC is hoping to achieve.  

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/23/2018 at 10:16 AM, Carm_88 said:

Joe and Kendra seem content to do their own thing; whatever that may be. They seem quiet and homey, which is ok. Seriously, I think Jill should try it. Are their beliefs the same? Yes, but hey, I have more respect for people when it's not being shoved down my throat.

I do wonder who Garrett looks like now that he's a bit older. Is Kendra's Mom due soon-ish?

Joe and Kendra also have income from CO and whatever side jobs Joe performs, and secure (likely free) housing. The Dillards have no obvious income, law school tuition and rent to consider.

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Joe and Kendra also have income from CO

Does anyone have any idea what they are pulling in for this?  I'm always curious about money when it comes to the tv shows.  Does more screen time = more money?

Am I right in thinking Jill was fired along with Derek, or could she be on without him?

Is Josh back on screen.  I guess it wouldn't matter since Anna and kids are and he would get the cash from that.

Just curious if they make enough to live comfortably, if modestly, while it lasts or is this more side money?

3 hours ago, Baxter said:

My husband has three older siblings. Two of them are brothers. There is a joke in their family when his older brother brought home his eventual wife for the first time, she only took a bit of everything at dinner and by the time she was ready to get some more, everyone else had eaten it all. That's what happens apparently with teenage boys. (I have two sisters). She was of course still hungry and they ended up going to McDonalds later. 

I think based on this sort of thing that it would be inevitable that people would end up being hungry in the Duggar household. I'm sure there was food but I doubt it was really plentiful especially anything good was eaten immediately. I'm sure the kids tried to horde stuff too. 

My partner is one of three boys, and when I first started dating him, his mother would insist I take as much as I could of the food before anyone else... because they ate more than me in a quicker amount of time!

I'm pretty sure there's a story of ... Josiah? hoarding food. Haven't been around too long though, so not 100% sure of that ?

24 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Does anyone have any idea what they are pulling in for this?  I'm always curious about money when it comes to the tv shows.  Does more screen time = more money?

Am I right in thinking Jill was fired along with Derek, or could she be on without him?

Is Josh back on screen.  I guess it wouldn't matter since Anna and kids are and he would get the cash from that.

Just curious if they make enough to live comfortably, if modestly, while it lasts or is this more side money?

No idea. Maybe JB gets all the money and then doles it out along with the houses, property and vehicles. Jessa has a house. Where would she and Ben have come up with the money to buy a house? Obviously, they didn't secure a loan. 

42 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Maybe JB gets all the money

I would think TLC would have to pay the adults directly...you can't cut a check to someone's dad and besides, taxes and all that.

Wouldn't put it past JB to make them sign it over and control them the way you suggest.  But who knows.

All I know is unless they are making never work again money, and they aren't, these kids better be preparing for a future because kids don't stop costing money when the show goes off the air.

Along with all the horrible beliefs they passed down to those kids I hope some of them got JBs hustle as well.  They're gonna need it.

One way some of the reality shows get around paying each person individually is to have a company for the family and that corporation gets paid and then the family corporation doles out money to individuals.  That seems like an approach that Jim Bob would use.

1 minute ago, Coconut Flan said:

One way some of the reality shows get around paying each person individually is to have a company for the family and that corporation gets paid and then the family corporation doles out money to individuals.  That seems like an approach that Jim Bob would use.

Ah- that makes a lot of sense, I didn't think of that.  

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

No idea. Maybe JB gets all the money and then doles it out along with the houses, property and vehicles. Jessa has a house. Where would she and Ben have come up with the money to buy a house? Obviously, they didn't secure a loan. 

Grandma Mary owned Jessa and Ben's house and she 'sold' it to them for a $1 about a year ago.  

The show has always been about the Duggar Collective, not any individual member.  Since the show started when the kids were minors, my guess is they never thought of having their own contacts  when they become adults, or Boob discouraged it.  So it never happened. 

No, she didn't sell them the house for $1.  That's just Arkansas property documents.  It's $1 and other valuable consideration.  I also sold my parents' house in Arkansas for $1 and other valuable consideration.  Trust me it wasn't $1 total.  

So if dinner would run out before kid 5 or 7 or 15 or 19 could get to it, how about a grilled cheese or some leftovers or something? A damn pb and j?  Either no one was making sure everyone was satisfied and full, or there wasn't enough food. Tonight, I made beef bbq. Kid 3 hates beef bbq. I checked to make sure she had eaten something else and was good and she's a teenager. 

I think if Derick is off the show he probably wouldn't sulk around if Jill were on it w/o him. I doubt he'd tell her she couldn't do it but I can see him not taking it well and her taking a step back b/c dealing with it isn't worth it. They don't seem to have money problems... Jill is JB's favorite so I suspect somehow things get taken care of. 

Maybe JB gets all the money and then doles it out along with the houses, property and vehicles.

I think this is this is the case. It's easier for TLC to write a check to a company than to each person.

My family could always afford enough food, but as one of five kids, I remember needing to hide food if I made/bought it to bring to school or work or there was a good chance it would disappear. There would always still be enough in the house to eat, but some foods like chips would be eaten so quickly that we would frequently run out.

1 hour ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

My family could always afford enough food, but as one of five kids, I remember needing to hide food if I made/bought it to bring to school or work or there was a good chance it would disappear. There would always still be enough in the house to eat, but some foods like chips would be eaten so quickly that we would frequently run out.

There are only three of us in my house right now - but I tend to "hide" things that I need for school lunches. Or things I specifically buy for recipes. Because I'll go to make a sandwich and someone has - eaten all the turkey. Or eaten the last banana. 

1 hour ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

As an only child, I didn't run out of food. DH has an older brother who he would have to compete with for dinner. He also told me stories that his dad would be snacks (he was a big snacker) and try to hide them. The kids always found them and finished the bag. So he found out they didn't like pork skins and that became his snack of choice. 

2 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I am also one of 5 kids.  I am a grown-ass adult with a bag of Mint Milanos hidden in a kitchen cabinet right now.  'nuff said?

5 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

My mom used to keep the chips in her bedroom. Too bad we all knew it. And it was the individual bags, in the big box. Yep, we raided that stash on the frequent!

My mom used to hide graham crackers so that a big box would last more than one afternoon. She would also hide chocolate chips and a few other non-necessities. I'm one of 4 kids, but when my brother hit his growing years, he ate as much as the other 3 of us put together!

I don't really hide food from my 2 kids, but I also don't exactly show them where the "good stuff" is kept. :my_biggrin: If I want to hide anything from my husband, I only have to put it one row back in the pantry. He never looks past the outside stuff. :pb_lol:

6 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My mom used to hide graham crackers so that a big box would last more than one afternoon. She would also hide chocolate chips and a few other non-necessities. I'm one of 4 kids, but when my brother hit his growing years, he ate as much as the other 3 of us put together!

I don't really hide food from my 2 kids, but I also don't exactly show them where the "good stuff" is kept. :my_biggrin: If I want to hide anything from my husband, I only have to put it one row back in the pantry. He never looks past the outside stuff. :pb_lol:

YEP!! I do the same thing!! I hide things from my son (because he's five and if he sees a box of cookies - he will be relentless in their pursuit). But if I have stuff that I want to keep for myself or just - for longer than a day or two - I have specific spots I'll stash it. Usually behind a box of oatmeal in the cupboard. I don't know why but my husband can't understand that there usually more things in the cupboard than "the front row" ...

Can I just say that I feel 150% more normal for having a secret stash of food in my cabinets now?! My husband makes fun of me for it, but I knew it had to be normal! 

On 10/28/2018 at 10:01 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Not if I did it three times a day, every day.  And as I was learning I'd think the mother of all those kids should be able to tell me how much to make to properly feed everyone.

Food hoarding and sneaking are huge red flags of not getting enough to eat on a regular basis.  This isn't Halloween candy they are hoarding.

Not enough =/= starving to death.

Again, something they do multiple times a day and grocery shopping for all those people every time.  They had multiple people working on meals every day....the prep and amount of food shouldn't be a surprise as if 19 strangers descended on one of us without warning demanding food.

I cook for my family (albeit fewer than 19) and if I make too much or too little of something I adjust for next time because I don't want anyone leaving the table hungry nor waste food.  They should have been far better at that than I, if limited food resources weren't the issue at times.

Your idealization of their life is unsettling, but a perfect example of what TLC is hoping to achieve.  

It would be difficult to estimate amounts of food correctly in a huge family like that - not because of the number of people - but because they were comprised mostly of children and teens. Even if you don’t allow picky eaters any options- everyone is going to try to eat more of some of their favorites, and eat as little as possible of things they hate. And with kids those likes and dislikes tend to change frequently. 

And, more importantly, they are all at different states of growth, ALL the time. It’s not a static group of 20 adults with fairly known likes and dislikes. You have everything from a baby who just started solids, to school age kids who are waxing and waning on growth spurts, to - oh my god the amount of FOOD - teen-age boys. And then some kids are just bigger eaters than others. 

I don’t doubt there was some food insecurity, at times, but I think food hoarding / sneaking was somewhere between Halloween Candy and Gruel. More like stashing biscuits of an extra serving of tater tot casserole. 

I taught at a low-income school (everyone below poverty) and the way we defined food insecurity was literally "not knowing where the next meal will come from." To contrast, I grew up in an upper-middle class household where: 

1) not allowed to snack between meals 

2) not allowed to eat anything besides what was served to us for dinner (if you didn't like it, too bad, go hungry and plus then you had to eat it for breakfast)

3) only allowed certain items for breakfast or lunch

4) Milk only for dinner or breakfast cereal, water anytime else

5) Fridge and pantry off limits to anyone except mom and dad

I would not count this as food insecurity like some have said !!!!!! My students were Dominican and Puerto Rican, so you would expect them to be eating all kinds of good food for dinner. Not so. They ate cereal for dinner or Cheetos from the corner store. They literally did not have food at home. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived