IGNORED

Counting On Season 5/6/7 Who Knows? It's on Tonight!

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, Irish13 said:

I am a homeschooler. I have three incredible children that I have been homeschooling 9 years. I started because the blue ribbon school they attended failed my daughter. It took me almost a full year of badgering for them to test her when I noticed she wasn't keeping up with her classmates. And when the results came back they said she needed help, but not enough help for them to actually help her. So I pulled my kids, saved for years to pay over $2000 out of pocket for a neuro psychiatrist to test her. Dylesxia, dyscalula, dysgraphia. After homeschooling with just me as her teacher she will be pursuing a degree in writing. I did it all on "just" a high school diploma. I find your comment insulting, arrogant, and ignorant. It doesn't take special training to teach a child. Parents do it from day 1. 

I will refrain from saying what I really want to say, but maybe with your advanced degrees and special training you can figure it out. The first word starts with F.

Alright then. As I said in my post, I believe homeschooling is a valid option in some cases. However, you the instructor need to be properly educated to do so. I stand by that.

Even though you disrespected me and my entire profession, I don't wish you any ill will just because you have a different opinion. Have a lovely day.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

I did student loan collections for an Ivy League school.   I really loved my job and did my best to help people who were struggling financially to find ways to keep up with their student loan payments.   Some had legitimate reasons for not being able to keep up with payments.   HOWEVER!  I had people call me saying they couldn't make payments because they were (real story!) they needed to help pay for a sister's $30,000 bacherlorette party to be held in the Bahamas!!! They bought a Lexus and the payments were so high.   

THESE ARE LIFESTYLE CHOICES!!   They are NOT "needs".   

One gal told me that she didn't have the the student loan payments (they were in a grace period after leaving school) when she bought her car.  She KNEW that the payments would be starting up in 6-9 months (depending on the loan conditions) -so don't tell me this crap.   Don't buy a new Lexus if you have a used Ford Fiesta budget!

Stop buying a Starbucks on the way to work each morning.   Bring your lunch to work (I did - and I could afford to go out if I had wanted to)  

One guy had the nerve to ask for a forbearance (a temporary halt to payment on your loan due to financial difficulties) on his $200/month student loan - but in his application he indicated that he put away $300 each month for his vacation fund!   Um - NO.   

Get a grip people and set some priorities! 

Again I mostly agree, but Starbucks isn't going to change your financial situation that much, and its a good idea to budget for SOME treats that aren't just needs.  It actually helps you stay on track.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:00 AM, Carm_88 said:

Speaking of American tourists living up to their stereotypes, I was in Nova Scotia for the start of July. We celebrated Canada Day in Halifax and were around the waterfront there for the 4th of July. We were approached by a bunch of American tourists and asked if we were from there. One of my friends said that she was and they asked her when the Fourth of July celebrations were going to start. We were genuinely taken back and just said "Sorry?" Then we quickly explained that Canada was a different country and that we didn't celebrate the fourth of July in any way shape or form. I mean the Queen is on our money for a reason. :P 

These weren't older people either, they were probably in their 30s. I actually thought that someone was going to jump out with a camera. 

Oooh I was also in Halifax at Canada Day. I hope you got the chance to check out Peggy's Cove :)

I was in Wisconsin for work (long haul trucker, with a BA but I make waaaaay more as a trucker) and I went into a convienent store to buy a carton of smokes for my now ex-husband back home. Lady asks for ID, takes a look at my license and says "British Columbia, that's in Europe! Wow you're really far from home!" I was honestly astounded.

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

Even though you disrespected me and my entire profession,

This, thank you for putting how I felt so eloquently. 

14 minutes ago, Alachantal said:

Oooh I was also in Halifax at Canada Day. I hope you got the chance to check out Peggy's Cove :)

Hahah I did! Before Canada Day because I assumed it would be crazy. Spent Canada Day in Lunenburg! :) 

5 hours ago, nst said:

and now this something - expenses and young in's - education 

yesterday I had a phone call from one of my tenants. She is an educated nurse (30 years of age, been a nurse for 5 years) lives in a 1000 sq ft apartment by herself, pays $1900 a month for it....wonderful great....anyway she has to use the laundry room downstairs and pay for the laundry which is $1.5 and $1.5 for dryer and washer..great again.  

Anyway - she calls me and asks me would I be willing to put in a w/d in her suite....this is a one bedroom 1000 sq ft with a small office off the bedroom which I can claim as a den...it's a great suite...but where is her head ?

Because does she realize it will cost like $5 grand to put it in and I will have to raise her rent to like $2100 at least, and she already has a gas fireplace, granite counter etc...anyway what happens when she leaves - will someone else pay $2100 a month for a one bedroom???um no - all because she can't spend $5.00 on laundry. 

Insanity on both ends

I'm near Vancouver. 2100$ is more than normal rent for a 1 bdrm. I'd pay for the convenience, hell when I left my ex-husband I only looked at rentals with laundry included even tho they're more costly. Now (4 months after leaving him) I'm in the process of buying so I don't care but... Definitely wouldn't call it insanity to want to have in suite laundry.

14 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Hahah I did! Before Canada Day because I assumed it would be crazy. Spent Canada Day in Lunenburg! :) 

We went day before Canada day and it was still nuts. Best friends husband is a police officer (they relocated from BC to NS for his work) and had one hell of a night policing the fireworks. We didn't even bother to go lol.

I was only there for a long weekend, but squeezed 3 provinces into it. I'll have to add Lunenburg to my next trip :5624798bb4464_Nana-nana-nana-bananapuddingP:

20 hours ago, victoriasponge said:

I just graduated uni in the U.K. where we have capped fees and what seems like cheaper room & board (no meal plan, I had to cook for myself) and I’m still talking something like £39k of debt plus 3 years worth of interest. Plus my parents gave me money every month on top of that. 

I worked part time as and when my workload allowed and that helped me pay for housing deposits and other big expenses but I’m now completely broke. Couldn’t find a job near my parents so am moving to a completely new area, parents now have to lend me even more money to help me get a place and furnish it. 

Its ridiculous. I’m never going to pay this debt back and that’s not even talking American education prices... Although I have graduated just as our economy has tanked because of Brexit and all of my friends are gearing up for another recession, but that’s a separate issue. 

I was lucky enough to be living in Scotland, which has not introduced tuition fees. We're privileged and lucky as hell and I'm thankful (same situation as regards meals and board, though). Geographical luck of he draw. It's very good though, would recommend!

Hah hah Im trying very hard not to think about the impending Brexit recession. Or Brexit in general. 

11 hours ago, kiwi said:

I found it on YouTube a really good one too, the first link i tried Jessa sounded like a man lol

https://youtu.be/wAIH0RxKftE

Thanks! Interesting to watch the episode after reading the comments here, and not the other way around. 

Jessa is definitely carving out a role for herself (and her family) as anchors of the show. And yes, I think she does it well. She and Ben has matured both as individuals and as a couple. Do they still have crazy fundie beliefs? Yepp. But there are different kind of people, even among fundies. I honestly think that Jessa won the Duggar marriage lottery when she hooked up with Ben. 

Another thing: I thought it was seriously ironic when the producer asks the couples about courtship advice, and JoKen says "enjoy the moment, you only get to do it once"... or in Josiahs case, twice...

26 minutes ago, Alachantal said:

I'm near Vancouver. 2100$ is more than normal rent for a 1 bdrm. I'd pay for the convenience, hell when I left my ex-husband I only looked at rentals with laundry included even tho they're more costly. Now (4 months after leaving him) I'm in the process of buying so I don't care but... Definitely wouldn't call it insanity to want to have in suite laundry.

so your advice is to put it in.  Wanna lend me the $5 g's? 

20 minutes ago, xenobia said:

Thanks! Interesting to watch the episode after reading the comments here, and not the other way around. 

Jessa is definitely carving out a role for herself (and her family) as anchors of the show. And yes, I think she does it well. She and Ben has matured both as individuals and as a couple. Do they still have crazy funny beliefs? Yepp. But there are different kind of people, even among fundies. I honestly think that Jessa won the Duggar marriage lottery when she hooked up with Ben. 

Another thing: I thought it was seriously ironic when the producer asks the couples about courtship advice, and JoKen says "enjoy the moment, you only get to do it once"... or in Josiahs case, twice...

Jessa ad Been were very honest and genuine in that epoisde. It was refreshing to see. 

The honeymoon was good too. 

Actually Starbucks at $4 per day is $120 per month. That's my phone bill or groceries for an entire week. A small Kuerig, reusable filter and coffee grinder are less than $100 and that's a one time purchase. Buy Starbucks beans, grind yourself and save TONS!! $120 a month actually is a pretty big deal if your budget can't handle it. 

42 minutes ago, seraaa said:

I was lucky enough to be living in Scotland, which has not introduced tuition fees. We're privileged and lucky as hell and I'm thankful (same situation as regards meals and board, though). Geographical luck of he draw. It's very good though, would recommend!

Hah hah Im trying very hard not to think about the impending Brexit recession. Or Brexit in general. 

I was always so envious of Scottish people when I was applying and going through uni! Although I’m Northern Ireland so more fortunate than England in that my tuition was £3,845 for NI students! (Its went up to £4,000 now but I’m graduated thankfully). I’m very thankful NI didn’t follow England with the £9,000 fees! 

22 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I think there are issues with the system but (*unpopular opinion coming*) I do think many of the loan issues are the fault of the students and we don't talk about it enough. 

Much like weddings, nowadays many kids (with parental encouragement) made poor financial choices and went to schools far outside of their financial grasp. Yes, there is relentless marketing of these schools, but the parents need to be adults and explain to their kids you can't just have something because you want it. And graduated students need to acknowledge and take responsibility for poor choices. 

College costs have risen exponentially, but even someone who comes from no family money can graduate with a modestly-sized student loan by attending a state university and working full-time in school. No one has to pledge Kappa Kappa Gamma at Georgetown to receive a college education.

We always hear about people with $120k in student loan debt. I live in Washington DC. I know several of these people. And every single person I know who has over $100k in loans for a bachelor's meets at least one of these criteria, often two: 1. Went to an out of state school or private college, 2. Didn't work and used loans for living expenses (and oftentimes splurges like spring break trips), 3. Is not making a good faith effort to pay their loans back. (Twentysomethings with student loan debt are not entitled to tropical vacations or eating out. Attack that shit and you'll have that monkey off your back by thirty.)

I know everyone's sick of my finger wagging by now, but just to prove I'm not some Trump fuckling talking out my ass here: I went to a state university, zero scholarships, had to pay for three years on my own, and worked thirty hours a week so I wouldn't have student loan debt (which nowadays, yes, would probably still leave me with a student loan, but I just did the math and it would still be under $20k). And I still lived like a pauper until about 27/28 (no eating out, no trips,  old car) to save for a house down payment and an emergency fund. It was good for me and my maturity. Was it fun? No. But no one is entitled to things being fun. 

Even if there are larger forces impacting you, at the end of the day the only person you have complete control over is you. So people have to find ways around their problems (going to community college first, making a budget, learning to save even small amounts, becoming financially literate) rather than throwing up their hands and assuming they will always be broke because of "the system." I worry that personal finance is becoming politicized.

I don't disagree with you! And I do think your opinion is important to this conversation. There is certainly a lot to be said for personal financial planning when it comes to making decisions surrounding the cost of University, or anything else.

At the end of the day, I believe personal fault for debt is majorly a YMMV thing, and that's why I don't want to inherantly put the onus on students' decisions. I started University in August 2008 in the US, and the wild variety of experiences I saw that first semester when the economy fell apart really informs my opinion. The vast majority of my friends who went out of state or private for University transferred around. I got lucky- my parents (who funded the majority of my bachelor's degree) told me I could only go to my top choice school (approx. $90,000 price tag for the whole degree) only if I went on to medical or law school. Alternatively, I could study what I wanted if I went to the local state university (approx. $25,000).

I went with the latter option and am super grateful to my parents for uncharacteristically providing that ultimatum. At the same time, students around me at the "cheap" university still dropped out due to financial hardship regularly. I was incredibly lucky to have parents who saved for college and a few scholarships, but everyone's situations are different.

Even if someone is apparently making dumb decisions, like buying expensive cars or vacations in spite of significant debt, it's hard to know what's going on in the background (abusive pressure, mental illness, etc). That is NOT to say that there aren't a lot of dumb people that make dumb choices out there- there certainly are- but to me, it makes more sense to criticize the system that makes education (among other things) unethically expensive first and then look at individual cases second. I'm also a firm believer in "the personal is political," so to each their own with politicizing personal finance. I'm all for it.

On the subject of coffee: investing a little bit in "fun" coffee at home (grinder, different brewing mechanisms, etc) has majorly cut down on my desire to go out for it. Starbucks always seems to take a good 20 minutes for me too; it really isn't massively more convenient.

I have no idea where to put this, so it is going right here, This needs to be a screen name or a title or something. I AM the Devil's Door Bell!

38143540_1850214491721783_6227934159541633024_n.jpg

33 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I have no idea where to put this, so it is going right here, This needs to be a screen name or a title or something. I AM the Devil's Door Bell!

38143540_1850214491721783_6227934159541633024_n.jpg

If you feel bad after you masterbate, you're not doing it right. 

Haha I was just going to say.....who the hell feels like garbage AFTER they masturbate? Wtf?!?! haha

Apparently, my clitoris is smarter than I thought, since it can apparently differentiate between a hand and a penis! Mind blown...

4 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Again I mostly agree, but Starbucks isn't going to change your financial situation that much, and its a good idea to budget for SOME treats that aren't just needs.  It actually helps you stay on track.

I agree that a treat now and then is fine, but if you stop to get coffee and a muffin EVERY day you are probably dropping close to $10 a day (with tax and tip)   That comes to almost $50 a week x 4 weeks a month so we're looking almost $200 a month (on a outside figure, but at least $100 a month if you are more conservative )   When you look at $100 a month for coffee out compared to buying a coffee maker and making it at home and putting it in to a TO GO cup,  that really is silly for someone on a tight budget.   

Starting out as a young couple we did consider going out for a cup of coffee as a treat (no, couldn't afford a donut or muffin)   So, off to a truck stop to get a coffee as a 'date'.   Maybe once a month.  (We were BROKE!)  

3 hours ago, seraaa said:

One of my friends went to Uni of Edinburgh as an EU student - got free tuition, I'd applied (it was my firm actually) and would have paid £9k. Have to say that didn't feel fucking fair. Especially since we were both living in the same English town. Then there were kids from Wales who were at my (insurance) uni and had cheaper fees than us at the same bloody uni.

I know it's because we don't have devolved powers and even if we did they'd be Tory and wouldn't give us anything but I'm going to be honest it sucks sometimes to be an English 20-something in 2018. My prospects of owning my own home are next to nothing as rent will eat up all my post-tax income, I can't find a job back at home, inflation will completely outpace any raises I get and the government give zero shits. I'd not rent at all if I could have it my way, I was hoping to live at Mr Sponge's parents with him while we saved but that hasn't panned out as planned.

I don't mean to whine, there's millions of brilliant things about being a 20-something in England in 2018 - my life expectancy is high, I still have the NHS (for now), the internet means I'm really close to my friends even when some of them have moved abroad, travel is easy and plentiful and I got the opportunity to go and pursue higher education even though my family aren't incredibly rich but yeah... 

My current plan is to finish my training and then try and teach at a British International School

(Would like to add I didn't choose my placement town and I have been placed in a very expensive area. If I manage to get out somewhere cheaper in a couple of years I might be less whiney)

9 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

One of my friends went to Uni of Edinburgh as an EU student - got free tuition, I'd applied (it was my firm actually) and would have paid £9k. Have to say that didn't feel fucking fair. Especially since we were both living in the same English town. Then there were kids from Wales who were at my (insurance) uni and had cheaper fees than us at the same bloody uni.

I know it's because we don't have devolved powers and even if we did they'd be Tory and wouldn't give us anything but I'm going to be honest it sucks sometimes to be an English 20-something in 2018. My prospects of owning my own home are next to nothing as rent will eat up all my post-tax income, I can't find a job back at home, inflation will completely outpace any raises I get and the government give zero shits. I'd not rent at all if I could have it my way, I was hoping to live at Mr Sponge's parents with him while we saved but that hasn't panned out as planned.

I don't mean to whine, there's millions of brilliant things about being a 20-something in England in 2018 - my life expectancy is high, I still have the NHS (for now), the internet means I'm really close to my friends even when some of them have moved abroad, travel is easy and plentiful and I got the opportunity to go and pursue higher education even though my family aren't incredibly rich but yeah... 

My current plan is to finish my training and then try and teach at a British International School

(Would like to add I didn't choose my placement town and I have been placed in a very expensive area. If I manage to get out somewhere cheaper in a couple of years I might be less whiney)

Some footnotes would be helpful for those of us not in the UK. “Placement town”? “Devolved powers”? “Insurance uni” = “safety school,” yes?

If it makes you feel better, I’m in my forties and still have over $100,000 in student debt. It probably doesn’t.

23 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

I hear you. I feels like we're teetering on the edge of something potentially more awful, and waiting for the other shoe to drop. Even with the good things we have, the anxiety is rife.

We're really compressed and stretched anyway - wages are not going to rise any time soon - and now there is so much uncertainty. Yeah.

1 hour ago, NakedKnees said:

I'm also a firm believer in "the personal is political," so to each their own with politicizing personal finance. I'm all for it.

I probably should have been clearer when mentioning politicizing personal finance. I find on Twitter (I know, not exactly a bastion of critical reasoning and informed opinions), there seems to be this creeping attitude that saving money or learning about investing is "being a lackey for capitalism/the patriarchy" and there's some kind of street cred to blowing one's money. I'm not talking about criticism of the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" rhetoric, but denigrating people with retirement accounts or trying to pay off student loan or credit card debt.

To be fair, this is mostly a fringe view among some very immature people, but it still drives me crazy. Saving and investing isn't for Republicans, and financial stability is the path for most people to achieve their dreams, whether that is playing the stock market or having enough to open up a non-profit helping undocumented workers. (Not to mention that not being materialistic is hardly being a capitalist pig. And a woman having enough saved so she doesn't need a man to support her is pretty damn liberating, but I digress.)

28 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Some footnotes would be helpful for those of us not in the UK. “Placement town”? “Devolved powers”? “Insurance uni” = “safety school,” yes?

If it makes you feel better, I’m in my forties and still have over $100,000 in student debt. It probably doesn’t.

Insurance uni =safey school, yes!

"Devolved powers" refers to the fact that the legislatures of England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland respectively have the power to set education policy - powers which have been devolved from the UK government at Westminster. (for example, the Scottish government chose not to introduce tuition fees for Higher education, whereas in England and Wales, they did).

The placement town, I assume, would be the place where someone is based in order to complete a course of study or a job training ( @victoriasponge would be able to weigh in and tell you if I got that correctly)

32 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Had started a long reply but I'm taking @seraaa's lovely reply instead, I'll just add a couple of notes.

My placement town is for a teaching placement. I'm on Teach First (kinda British Teach for America? Our systems are so different that it's not really, but it was imported as the same idea). So I've been placed in a random town I had never been to before last month and now I'm living there for two years, yay! Fortunately I'll get my teaching qualifications this way and because it's worth 2/3 of a full masters I should be able to get my full Masters in Education out of it. (Should. England don't screw this up too)

Only other thing I'd like to add is that England doesn't have devolved powers. Since we're the largest country in the union, Westminster should (hypothetically) already have our interests at heart so we don't need them. It's debatable if that's the case in my eyes.

4 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

Had started a long reply but I'm taking @seraaa's lovely reply instead, I'll just add a couple of notes.

My placement town is for a teaching placement. I'm on Teach First (kinda British Teach for America? Our systems are so different that it's not really, but it was imported as the same idea). So I've been placed in a random town I had never been to before last month and now I'm living there for two years, yay! Fortunately I'll get my teaching qualifications this way and because it's worth 2/3 of a full masters I should be able to get my full Masters in Education out of it. (Should. England don't screw this up too)

Only other thing I'd like to add is that England doesn't have devolved powers. Since we're the largest country in the union Westminster should (hypothetically) already have our interests at heart so we don't need them. It's debatable if that's the case in my eyes.

English Votes for English Laws! The West Lothian Question! etc etc

It probably wouldn't be the worst thing if there were more regional parliaments or assemblies, for reasons of democracy. 

If there were a Yorkshire Parliament they might have built northern crossrail instead of a third runway at Heathrow. (I am joking, but also not joking)

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived