IGNORED

Counting On Season 5/6/7 Who Knows? It's on Tonight!

Coconut Flan

I haven't seen the episode yet, but how is there a wrong way to use cutlery? Was he trying to cut his steak with a spoon or something?

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

What was wrong with the way Ben was using cutlery?  I just thought he was maybe left  handed.

Being left handed should not change the way you hold your cutlery. He looks like a child when he cuts his meat.

22 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I haven't seen the episode yet, but how is there a wrong way to use cutlery? Was he trying to cut his steak with a spoon or something?

It’s the way he holds the fork and knive.

Edit: ok, according to Wikipedia there is actually an American style of holding cutlery which is different from what I am used in Europe. *oops*

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_utensil_etiquette

2 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

It’s the way he holds the fork and knive.

Could you elaborate? Like I said, I haven’t seen it, so I have no idea what this means.

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I would agree with you, and actually argue hard for trade schools and vocational education in my real life, BUT...

(Snipped for brevity but I’m replying to your whole post, of course.)

This is valid. I kind of went off on a tangent regarding college-pushing in America in general, but I totally agree that homeschooling parents need to meet adequate standards. When I was homeschooled, I had a (remote) teacher and was technically a student of a private academy in another state. My parents had to submit my work periodically and I took my tests by mail (which is likely done online now). Neither of my parents are teachers, nor were they very well educated themselves, but I do think I had a strong homeschooling foundation. Clearly that isn’t the case for many IBLP “schooling” situations.

On a very personal level, I'm actually happy that Ben holds his cutlery wrong.  Growing up, my parents told me I would have NO friends and no one would date me if my table manners weren't perfect.  It didn't work.  Instead of improving my table manners, it fed into my anxiety and cycled to the point where I get so nervous to eat in front of people that I am an actual disgusting slob and because of that, I avoid eating in front of people at all costs.  I also find the holiday of Thanksgiving to be a sick joke and will do ANYTHING to get out of it.  

Not that this should stop anyone's snark, it's just for me personally, with my own personal issues, I like seeing people eat in "non-standard" ways :) 

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Could you elaborate? Like I said, I haven’t seen it, so I have no idea what this means.

He holds his fork with his little finger closest to the ‘fangs’ of the fork (I don’t know how to call them, the part you actually use) while I have my little finger closest to the far end of my fork.

Then he stabs the meat like he still needs to kill it.

Are we really going to have cutlery holding wank? Haven't we had enough wank for the past few days? Is it because there are, like, five planets in retrograde, rn? 

:dontgetit:

10 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

He holds his fork with his little finger closest to the ‘fangs’ of the fork (I don’t know how to call them, the part you actually use) while I have my little finger closest to the far end of my fork.

Then he stabs the meat like he still needs to kill it.

Spoiler

17.jpg.3cd688d1bab84404980ce386a139bc62.jpgdining-etiquette-36-728.jpg.fc1c0c4ff8861ca68f103c1f3260c57c.jpg 

Is this what you mean?

2 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Are we really going to have cutlery holding wank? Haven't we had enough wank for the past few days? Is it because there are, like, five planets in retrograde, rn? 

:dontgetit:

OK BUT HOW ARE THOSE PLANETS HOLDING THEIR KNIVES?  Did they make smash cakes for their moons?  How valid are their college degrees?!? DO THEY TAKE THEIR SHOES OFF WHEN ENTERING THE VARIOUS HOUSES?!?

I do not even know what to say about Utensilgate.  I think I am just going to back out of this thread slowly and see what Jill Rodrigues is up to.  Sure, she takes selfies with grieving parents at funerals, but at least she knows how to hold her knife and fork.

Rufus Bless, indeed.

*Edited because I spelled her last name with a "z".  Even though I've spelled it out on here many, many times before correctly.  What's up with that?

I am now 100% certain I am going to spill all my food, drop my plate and stab myself in the eye, all because I am going to be trying to remember how I usually hold my utensils.  

I am strongly considering having my sister over to help me figure it out. We can discuss it over fried new potatoes in the room she helped me decorate:boom:

Hahaha ok now I feel stupid by bringing it up but it is really my pet peeve if people use their cutlery that way.

I was more bothered to learn that Joe likes to lick his plate and that he even had to discuss NOT doing that in public... 

14 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

How is she already in college?

Non-competitive, open-admissions colleges have immediate entry. She could have started at Community College in high school, as well.

1 minute ago, CarrotCake said:

Hahaha ok now I feel stupid by bringing it up but it is really my pet peeve if people use their cutlery that way.

We all have our things, what really bugs me is people who chew with their mouths open! Rufus TAKE THE WHEEL!  I will :teasing-poke:until you stop.

My brother holds his knife and fork in the “wrong” hands. He has dyspraxia so I don’t know if it’s related. I’m not sure, though, as I’ve seen quite a lot of people do it that way. 

I cut in the manner that gets my food small enough to make it into my mouth. Otherwise I don't care. I don't lick my plate. lol. So there's that! 

In the comfort of your own home - lick your plate, hold your fork wrong, you do you. 

But for the love of all things holy - do NOT go out to eat (in public) and lick your plate! Unless you are two.

11 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I do not even know what to say about Utensilgate.  I think I am just going to back out of this thread slowly and see what Jill Rodriguez is up to.  Sure, she takes selfies with grieving parents at funerals, but at least she knows how to hold her knife and fork.

Rufus Bless, indeed.

How DARE you spell her name with a Z?!?  Don't you know they are PORTUGUESE and therefore spell it with an 's'.  The S means Portugal, which is in EUROPE!  They do NOT spell it the Spanish way like Mexicans, thank you VERY much!

(For those of you not familiar with JRod, she's actually posted multiple, long-winded, and rather overtly racist rants about how the spelling with the S means they are NOT Latino or Hispanic.  This is VERY important for her as a Trump worshiper, naturally. Because let me tell you, I think JRod was just FLOORED to find out that her family might experience racial push-back too in blessed Trump's America.  Sucks to suck, Jillie.)

2 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

How DARE you spell her name with a Z?!?  Don't you know they are PORTUGUESE and therefore spell it with an 's'.  The S means Portugal, which is in EUROPE!  They do NOT spell it the Spanish way like Mexicans, thank you VERY much!

(For those of you not familiar with JRod, she's actually posted multiple, long-winded, and rather overtly racist rants about how the spelling with the S means they are NOT Latino or Hispanic.  This is VERY important for her as a Trump worshiper, naturally. Because let me tell you, I think JRod was just FLOORED to find out that her family might experience racial push-back too in blessed Trump's America.  Sucks to suck, Jillie.)

I have spelled it correctly on here many times as well!  I'm pretty sure Satan is behind my momentary lapse in judgment.

10 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I have spelled it correctly on here many times as well!  I'm pretty sure Satan is behind my momentary lapse in judgment.

That dang Satan!  He was also running my autocorrect for a while, as it took FOREVER for my phone to accept that I meant to use that s there!  It's just one more way Satan attacks Jill: he makes us spell her name wrong :) 

I figure if your food is getting from your plate to your mouth and you’re not stabbing or bludgeoning yourself or anyone else in the process, you’re holding your utensils the ‘right’ way.

Seriously, what is it with all these weird picky little debates popping up everywhere? Nursery decorating, smash cakes, proper utensil holding. And everyone’s apparently either a wasteful privileged snob or a classless ignorant lowlife. Okay, have fun, I’m going to play Legend of Zelda. :pb_lol:

15 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I completely agree. Kendra seems really fun. It wasn’t funny when the woman said “Is the man (meaning JB) still around or did he run away?” 

I was so sad that she mentioned something on the honeymoon being a new experience for her, and then said something about not having experienced a lot : / . 

26 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Ha ! In the town I worked in people were VERY conscious of the ‘z’ or ‘s’ . The one with higher status depended on who was doing the asking. So very Sneetches.

edited because what I wrote could have been taken very, very wrong

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived