IGNORED

Counting On Season 5/6/7 Who Knows? It's on Tonight!

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

This, thank you for putting how I felt so eloquently. 

No problem. When people say that if you have a good program anyone can homeschool, I just feel like it shows the disrespect and actual contempt we in America have for our teachers. I could look up medical info online, that doesn't mean I should be my children's doctor. I shouldn't diagnose them or preform home surgery. I could read some good law books, but that doesn't mean I can stand lawyer for my child if he was accused of a crime. (I could for myself, but everyone seems to say that if you're your own lawyer than you have a stupid client). Yet for teaching it's fine. It shows we don't consider teaching a serious profession.

I would even be willing to compromise and say let's create an accelerated program for parents who want to homeschool. Hell, I'd even say they could teach while enrolled, so long as they are enrolled. Truthfully I think that parents should be required by law to have a teaching degree, but I'd be willing to meet parents halfway. 

As for @Irish13 she can behave how she sees fit. As a teacher, I'm use to being yelled at by irate parents. No big deal :)

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@BernRul I'm going to expound on the "anyone can teach with a good program", they can anyone can teach THEIR child with a good program.  Teaching your own children in your home at your own pace with someone elses work can be done and can be done well. But that doesn't take away from what teachers do.  Just because another persons says they can teach THEIR child better doesn't diminish what you do. Why? Well it is a pretty damn easy to teach your kids someone else's lessons you know your children you know their quirks and you know how to work with them so yes she can teach her her kids by herself better than you can. What she can't do is teach her kid and 25 other kids in the same room better than you because she doesn't have the skill. Teaching your own kids is different than teaching 20 odd "other peoples kids" because those kids all have different needs, different learning levels  different behaviors. Add to that you have school policy to deal with parents our own continuing education home work future lesson plans grading homework. 

Homeschooling your kids isn't being a teacher, its being a parent teaching your child. there is so much more that goes into teaching than just making sure ONE (2, 3 or however may kids you have) succeeds every day teachers need to make sure that dozens and dozens of kids succeed EVERY DAY.  Let me tell you that you bet I can teach my child, but there is no way in hell I could teach YOUR child, or anyone else's. Does that make sense? I don't think some of the folks on here are are trying to down play the necessity and importance of teachers because teaching is so far above and beyond being a home schooling mom  in the scheme of impacts on children's learning. 

I will end by saying I think teaching is the most underpaid underappreciated profession in the world, we should spend so much more time and money on schools, education and teachers salaries, they need smaller classrooms, better access to supplies, more supplies, higher pay, more help more in the classroom, less bureaucracy.  The world needs more teachers, better teachers and we need to treat them with the respect they deserve for what they do for all of children. 

1 minute ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@BernRul I'm going to expound on the "anyone can teach with a good program", they can anyone can teach THEIR child with a good program.  Teaching your own children in your home at your own pace with someone elses work can be done and can be done well. But that doesn't take away from what teachers do.  Just because another persons says they can teach THEIR child better doesn't diminish what you do. Why? Well it is a pretty damn easy to teach your kids someone else's lessons you know your children you know their quirks and you know how to work with them so yes she can teach her her kids by herself better than you can. What she can't do is teach her kid and 25 other kids in the same room better than you because she doesn't have the skill. Teaching your own kids is different than teaching 20 odd "other peoples kids" because those kids all have different needs, different learning levels  different behaviors. Add to that you have school policy to deal with parents our own continuing education home work future lesson plans grading homework. 

Homeschooling your kids isn't being a teacher, its being a parent teaching your child. there is so much more that goes into teaching than just making sure ONE (2, 3 or however may kids you have) succeeds every day teachers need to make sure that dozens and dozens of kids succeed EVERY DAY.  Let me tell you that you bet I can teach my child, but there is no way in hell I could teach YOUR child, or anyone else's. Does that make sense? I don't think some of the folks on here are are trying to down play the necessity and importance of teachers because teaching is so far above and beyond being a home schooling mom  in the scheme of impacts on children's learning. 

I will end by saying I think teaching is the most underpaid underappreciated profession in the world, we should spend so much more time and money on schools, education and teachers salaries, they need smaller classrooms, better access to supplies, more supplies, higher pay, more help more in the classroom, less bureaucracy.  The world needs more teachers, better teachers and we need to treat them with the respect they deserve for what they do for all of children. 

I just want to say I don't think homeschool should be illegal. I don't think people should be banned from doing it. I even said in my original post that I think it's the best approach in some cases. A child with special needs is an example of that, or a family on the move. 

A homeschool teacher should still be educated though. They should still be held to a teacher's standards, or at the very least, an accelerated program. For every one family that thinks they've done a good job, there's a dozen like the Duggars who use it as a way to keep their children brainwashed. Higher standards and education can only make things better for everyone. 

As a teacher, I'm sorry, but I'm always going to see it as a little insulting, even if unintended. I mean, I could be a good doctor to my own child too. I could diagnose correctly and be right more often than not. That doesn't mean it's a good idea for most people without education. So yes, I think homeschool teachers should have to recieve SOME kind of education on teaching. Of course, we can always agree to disagree. I know not everyone will agree with me on this. 

3 hours ago, MoonFace said:

I agree that a treat now and then is fine, but if you stop to get coffee and a muffin EVERY day you are probably dropping close to $10 a day (with tax and tip)   That comes to almost $50 a week x 4 weeks a month so we're looking almost $200 a month (on a outside figure, but at least $100 a month if you are more conservative )   When you look at $100 a month for coffee out compared to buying a coffee maker and making it at home and putting it in to a TO GO cup,  that really is silly for someone on a tight budget.   

Starting out as a young couple we did consider going out for a cup of coffee as a treat (no, couldn't afford a donut or muffin)   So, off to a truck stop to get a coffee as a 'date'.   Maybe once a month.  (We were BROKE!)  

No joke, when I traded my drug addiction for a coffee one, I would literally (not exaggerated) spend $100 dollars on coffee a week. It really does add up. 

As a parent who has a child who is duel enrolled as a public school student and a homeschool student I can say I am no where near educated enough to really teach my child anything. And quite frankly, my husband isn't either, even though he has a master's degree and teaches college classes. Neither of us as a strong enough education in the classes she needs to effectively teach her anymore. Sure, we can offer a bit of assistance here or there, or proof read a paper but beyond that we just can't. So we don't. We pay for a program that offers online courses, with a teacher and tutoring available and she excels at the classes. It really is a win-win for us. She is being challenged in a way she was unable to be at her current school but she is still getting daily interaction with peers and other people during the school year (she would hide in her room all the time if she could, but she does get along well with other students and we want to to continue to interact with people) When we move next year we will evaluate the schools in the area and figure out if it will be best for her to go back to full time public school, go to school completely online or stay in the hybrid we are currently doing. 

I think parent, even with a limited education, can be a effective teacher for the child IF they are aware of their own limitations and are willing to take the steps needed to ensure their kids are getting a well rounded education that meets their child's needs. I also am a strong believer in regulations for homeschooled students because without regulations it is just a way to hide poor education/brainwashing and even abuse in some cases. 

And for the record, both my younger children are full time public school students and they excel in that environment. A lot of my oldest daughter's issues have to do with being a gifted student stuck in a small school system that just isn't able to provide the classes she needs.  

[mention=26468]BernRul[/mention] I'm going to expound on the "anyone can teach with a good program", they can anyone can teach THEIR child with a good program.  Teaching your own children in your home at your own pace with someone elses work can be done and can be done well. But that doesn't take away from what teachers do.  Just because another persons says they can teach THEIR child better doesn't diminish what you do. Why? Well it is a pretty damn easy to teach your kids someone else's lessons you know your children you know their quirks and you know how to work with them so yes she can teach her her kids by herself better than you can. What she can't do is teach her kid and 25 other kids in the same room better than you because she doesn't have the skill. Teaching your own kids is different than teaching 20 odd "other peoples kids" because those kids all have different needs, different learning levels  different behaviors. Add to that you have school policy to deal with parents our own continuing education home work future lesson plans grading homework. 

This is spot on! Another thing, I as a parent am actually allowed to discipline my child, so guaranteed, if I was homeschooling every assignment would be done, there would be no negative behaviors, etc. As a teacher, there really isn’t a lot I can do, and a solid 50% of the time, when I make a phone call home, it is clear that the parent doesn’t care, or better yet, blames the school.

My kids attend public school and I have loved almost every teacher they have had. I am actually good friends with most even though we have moved. But I will say it isn't always easy on the parent. I have always separated the teacher and the system but the system isn't friendly to all styles of learning. I have never blamed the teachers but I know this system has failed one my of kids and after 3 years of battling administration (with the help of the teachers) we finally got him the correct help. Now I am going to be starting again with another child. Thankfully I continue to have the help of the teacher and we agree. When I work with the teachers, they see my child has an individual and not data points. As soon as we switch to administration, my kid is data points and they can tell me "everything" he needs from those. Sadly they were wrong and we wasted a lot of time.

I'm not sure why @BernRul is being downvoted. If I understand the message right, the poster is just saying that not every parent can teach. In fact, In this forum we discuss families that are clearly unable to homeschool even having a few kids.

In my country, homeschool.is not legal, but a few families do it (they use to be alternative, well off people). I know a couple of them. One family had money, time and the most modern curriculum, but the mother was just fed up and bored. She was an example of best intentions and bad results and kids were happy to be enroled in a regular school at the end.

And yes, there are also teachers who suck. Schools that do not work well. Children who need to be homeschooled. But saying all parent can do it, it wishful thinking, in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm not sure why @BernRul is being downvoted. If I understand the message right, the poster is just saying that not every parent can teach. In fact, In this forum we discuss families that are clearly unable to homeschool even having a few kids.

Yes, this is the gist of it. I think that the standards for homeschooling are too lax in America. I never said that it should be illegal here, just that we need higher standards. If a parent wants to homeschool, that parent needs to be scrutinized like a teacher would. They need to at least have some courses on child development, education theories, and teaching methods. Some kind of accelerated program might be a solution.

To me, it's a win-win. If you are a parent who wants to homeschool and wants to give your child the best education, being educated in teaching can only help you improve. If you are a Quiverfull fundie extremist, you are being held accountable now, and perhaps that parents might even learn from it and change a little.  It strikes me as a little ironic that people who want to educate their children themselves are reacting negatively to the idea that they themselves be more educated. Again though, we can agree to disagree. I never intended to insult or belittle any posters here, and if anyone feels that way, I am truly sorry. 

Someone above mentioned an online program that their child uses. I'm no expert on online teaching, but I do know that several programs are created by educators with certified teachers who interact with their students. I can't comment from personal experience, but it sounds interesting, and I have nothing against it. 

31 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Children who need to be homeschooled. But saying all parent can do it, it wishful thinking, in my opinion. 

And a way to make sure people aren't abusing the system, and that children truly are getting the best possible education, is by raising our standards for homeschooling. And one way to do it is to create teacher training programs for them. 

3 hours ago, saywhat7 said:

I have always separated the teacher and the system but the system isn't friendly to all styles of learning. I have never blamed the teachers but I know this system has failed one my of kids and after 3 years of battling administration (with the help of the teachers) we finally got him the correct help.

First of all, I'm so sorry that the system has failed one of your kids.  But can I just say THANK YOU for having an amazing attitude towards teachers? I'm currently in the process of applying to get my MA in Education and my brother-in-law is halfway through his MA program. Hearing some of his stories is actually making me kind of reluctant, because unless I can get a job in a private school (which also pays less), I really strongly disagree with a lot of the ways that public schools are operating these days.  Even private schools are getting pressured to do more and more testing, and if I'm going to be a teacher, I want to help kids learn to love learning for the sake of learning, not learn how to take tests.  You hit the nail on the head by saying the administration views kids as data points, and my BIL has learned the hard way that the administration doesn't always treat the teachers much better.

I wouldn't try to replace actual school with home school for my son. There are so many OTHER things he's learning beyond education. He's learning (I hope) to get along with other children, to listen to other adults, to understand that other children and adults are different and he needs to respect that. 

Even WITH a good program - I don't think I'd want to take that on. 

Teachers are amazing people - I do NOT know how they do it. They manage a classroom of 25 (in my son's class) with one other aide - and they have anywhere from 3-5 year olds (junior & sr. kindergarten combined) and - I don't envy them. 
Now his current teacher - I have struggles with because I don't believe the answer to his behavior issues is to put him in the hall or send him to the office or to make him sit alone. (I have strong feelings about this - and if any of that was going to work- it would have already worked after a year of it - time to try something else please). But she's also got a lot on her plate and if I can help her in anyway - I will. 

Edited to Add: But I know people who are successfully homeschooling their children and are excelling at it. It takes a certain level of focus, a determination, a good home-school support system (so you can share resources & go on field trips etc). But for your average person go "Enh - screw it - I'll do it myself!" -- it's just not that simple. And I shudder to think about Duggar kids who came out of "school" with a poor education (going to assume it is) trying to teach? Ugh. It's fine to play alphabet games with your 4 year old - but ... 

I think people get (understandably) defensive when they hear what sounds like someone accusing them of failing their kids, or in some way not providing the absolute best for them. But I personally think @BernRul is right. Being a parent doesn't make you a good teacher by default, even to your own kids.

*Caution* Personal Anecdote Ahead:

When I was around 2nd grade age, it was suggested (Idk by who, my teacher probably) that I skip a grade for the following year. When my parents pursued this, the administration discouraged it saying I'd struggle too much in the higher grade for whatever reason. Maybe because I would then be behind, or because I'd be younger and not at the same level developmentally, Idk this is speculation based on hindsight and what I remember. So my mom decided "Fuck the system! I'll teach her myself and we'll move at a faster pace so she'll progress at the rate she needs to and not be bored! I have a high school diploma! How hard can it be?" 

Turns out, really hard. She bought a curriculum and a bunch of materials, but she didn't know how to teach. Her method for teaching me to spell new words was to make me write them over and over again on top of each other, which let me tell you, is mind-numbingly boring. That's what the book said to make me do, so that's what she did.* I was more bored in this "faster paced" homeschool program than I'd ever been in school. I moved faster in math, but in everything else, my progress slowed to an average pace. Not super behind, but certainly not the accelerated pace she'd intended for me. She also didn't know how to find opportunities for socializing. I was painfully bored and isolated, and so was she. In the end, this lasted about 6 months before my mom re-enrolled me in my elementary school in the middle of 3rd grade. Now ahead in math, but slightly behind on spelling and everything else. Maybe if my mom had training in education she could have succeeded in this venture, maybe not. But when I hear people say anyone can teach it always takes me back to that miserable 6 months.

*This was, of course, in the 90's and I have no idea what techniques the homeschool books say to use these days. Maybe they offer more fun and interesting approaches to teaching spelling now, I don't know.

Homeschooling can be a great option for kids who need a more individual approach, and in theory, it probably would have been the right decision for me if I had a homeschool teacher who knew what she was doing. But that's the tricky bit. Thankfully my mom realized quickly that this experiment was failing and bailed on it when she did. I shudder to think what my education would have been like if she'd been fundie, and if the idea of public education had been entirely out of the question. 

9 hours ago, Kaylo said:

This is spot on! Another thing, I as a parent am actually allowed to discipline my child, so guaranteed, if I was homeschooling every assignment would be done, there would be no negative behaviors, etc.

You need to tell the fundies about whatever amazing form of discipline you use on your kids. Every assignment would be done? There would be NO negative behaviours? Wow!

When talking about home schooling I always want to point out that the Duggars, even if they had a great curriculum and patient parents, are missing out on the biggest advantage.  Home schooling lets you focus on the individual needs in a way a teacher (with 25 kids) just can't.  But in these big families the parents can't either.  And they can't focus on the things one age group should be focusing on either.  So you lost everything you lose with a regular school (socialization, structure outside your family, differing views from teachers) and didn't get the biggest advantage of home schooling either.  

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

You need to tell the fundies about whatever amazing form of discipline you use on your kids. Every assignment would be done? There would be NO negative behaviours? Wow!

I laughed at that too. It's very possible that some parents would be so on top of things that every assignment would be done, but they would definitely be in the minority among homeschooling parents. Everyone thinks they're going to be on top of things, but it isn't that easy. What I've seen in literally every homeschooling family I've known personally is that it's really, really difficult for both parents and kids to have the self-discipline to do every assignment and do it on time if you have absolutely no one enforcing those deadlines. Many families are constantly months behind schedule and often never catch up, which they justify by saying they're still doing a better job than public schools.

I was the first child and in my early years my mom was extremely organized and on top of my education. But when I was older my mom got busy raising babies I was left almost completely on my own and, shockingly, a 10-14-year-old or so wasn't all that disciplined on her own about schoolwork. I was expected to do most things on my own and then my parents would get irritated with me when they would check in every few weeks or so and see that I was behind schedule, which made me feel just awful about myself. (A lot of that is normal kid behavior, but I've also since been diagnosed with inattentive ADD.) I actually learned a ton in those years because I loved to read about all sorts of things, but it often wasn't the things I was supposed to be learning that are necessary but were boring to me, like how to write an essay. My parents made the decision to send me to high school and it was terrifying at first, but ended up being one of the best things to happen to me. With a little more structure I excelled (I had the highest gpa in my class of 500+), learned a lot from qualified teachers who knew their subject material well, and found that it was an incredible relief to not be around fundies all the time anymore.

My family is now in a state with quite a bit of homeschooling oversight and my mom says she actually likes it much better than living in Arkansas where there is virtually no oversight. It keeps her accountable, organized, and on track throughout the year. I also think it helps a lot that she doesn't have really young kids that need more attention anymore.

If I talk about my issues with homeschooling people like to say that it's just that my own experience was bad and that doesn't say anything about homeschooling in general (also what about public schools!?!?!?! like there being issues with public schools invalidates issues with homeschooling--I get so tired of that argument), but in a lot of ways my experience was the best case scenario. My parents are both well qualified to teach, unusually so for homeschooling parents. My dad is a professor with a PhD who literally teaches for a living and my mom has a Master's degree in education. They've always had excellent intentions with homeschooling and have taken education very seriously. I got lots of compliments when I went to public school about how well my parents did homeschooling me because I was much better prepared than most homeschoolers they had seen, and yet I still wish I hadn't been homeschooled, or that at least I had transitioned to public school earlier. Homeschooling is hard even for the well-intentioned, though, and issues that I mentioned like being constantly behind schedule are incredibly common. Even when parents do everything right I think you can't really replace the high school experience of having teachers who really know the advanced subject they're teaching and aren't just handing you a textbook.

7 hours ago, saywhat7 said:

My kids attend public school and I have loved almost every teacher they have had. I am actually good friends with most even though we have moved. But I will say it isn't always easy on the parent. I have always separated the teacher and the system but the system isn't friendly to all styles of learning. I have never blamed the teachers but I know this system has failed one my of kids and after 3 years of battling administration (with the help of the teachers) we finally got him the correct help. Now I am going to be starting again with another child. Thankfully I continue to have the help of the teacher and we agree. When I work with the teachers, they see my child has an individual and not data points. As soon as we switch to administration, my kid is data points and they can tell me "everything" he needs from those. Sadly they were wrong and we wasted a lot of time.

We had a similar thing happen with #1 here in Scotland. Three schools and one private school later we got there.  It's very difficult if a child doesn't 'fit' into the data graph or whatever. We now have a delightful but extremely depressed young man with PSTD which the GP won't recognise. 

On 7/31/2018 at 1:49 AM, Alice in Fundieland said:

This was Jana’s face while Jessa and Joy were talking about marriage and “time flying by.” This is inspiring me to develop a “What Do You Meme: Fundies Edition.”

Hide contents

344710B1-A413-4C32-BFF3-ACE733ACF2D3.thumb.png.a64654ccc91914bee4ee44e91833afe1.png

Her face in this picture reminds me of the face I used to make when people around me talked about their children when we were doing ivf. It makes me sad. I hope she is happy with her choices. I hope she has choices. 

On 8/2/2018 at 2:54 PM, Shadoewolf said:

Actually Starbucks at $4 per day is $120 per month. That's my phone bill or groceries for an entire week. A small Kuerig, reusable filter and coffee grinder are less than $100 and that's a one time purchase. Buy Starbucks beans, grind yourself and save TONS!! $120 a month actually is a pretty big deal if your budget can't handle it. 

Yep, $120 a month is a good start to building a nest egg in a Roth IRA. Little things do add up.

14 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Her face in this picture reminds me of the face I used to make when people around me talked about their children when we were doing ivf. It makes me sad. I hope she is happy with her choices. I hope she has choices. 

Every one has a choice. We make big or small  choices every minute of everyday. We just have to want to make those choices and be ready to deal with the consequences of the choices we make. 

@tabitha2, respectfully I would say the Duggar children choices have been very hobbled, stunted, and "handicapped" by their parents and the cult-like atmosphere their parents raised them in. It's not at all what i think of as a free choice. 

My mom home schooled me & I personally would not home school my children (if I had any). I am not very smart.....at all. I just didn't learn anything & I'm sure part of it was/is my fault but looking back, my mom was a terrible "teacher". (I use that term very loosely because I don't remember her ever actually teaching....it was more....here....learn this chapter today....and I was left on my own to try and figure it out while she did her own thing....and spied on me to make sure I was working.....and then yelled at me when I didn't get it) I know very very little about world history, geography, science, health, math, etc.....but I can tell you pretty much anything you need to know about Bible verses :pb_rollseyes:) For me, as a kid growing up, it was a horrible situation because as I've mentioned before, my mom was extremely abusive (which was the reason she chose to home school me in the first place....she kept bruising me & she was afraid someone at school would see so she pulled me out of school and the rest of my life at home was literally a living hell because she didn't have to answer to anyone for my bruises. I believe in some cases home schooling is the way to go but in my case....not at all. 

Half the Duggar children are not children anymore. They don’t live in  Jim Bobs house. They have children of their own. I have been hearing for well over 10 years that line of reasoning for why the Duggar offspring have not really moved forward.  It’s old and tired as hell. 

20 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

No joke, when I traded my drug addiction for a coffee one, I would literally (not exaggerated) spend $100 dollars on coffee a week. It really does add up. 

Congrats on kicking your drug addition.   Good for you.   I'm sure that cutting back on coffee will be a piece of cake after that.  (I didn't say give it up entirely - but I can see cutting it back and using some of that money for something you really want for long term)   Good for you!

Anecdotally, and perhaps apropos of nothing, but a brief shout out to teachers:

I work at a science/nature museum. I lead field trips and go out to schools and present programs to kids.  About half of the tour guides I work with have a science background and know all the facts, but do not have a teaching background.  They share the information without always noticing that the big words they are using are going right over the kids' heads. The other half are/were teachers who do not have a science background and have to learn the information before presenting it.  I have found that the teacher-guides have a much better rapport with the kids and are able to handle the discipline, the surprises (i.e., the group turned out to be older or younger than we were told, or were a special needs class, etc.. The teacher-guides are able to relate to the kids and are more concerned with the experience the kids are having than getting a script of facts across to them.  I've learned a lot from both "team science" and "team teacher" but am fascinated and inspired with the way the teachers handle their groups. One of our newer guides is a retired teacher and when I see her working, I want to call her "the kid whisperer."  I don't know by what dark magic she operates, but I am impressed.

Anyway, thanks, teachers!

3 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

The teacher-guides are able to relate to the kids and are more concerned with the experience the kids are having than getting a script of facts across to them. 

This is the critical aspect of being a good teacher imo, and it's something that takes a lot of student teachers/new teachers a while to master.

Teaching isn't reciting facts to a child and expecting a child to learn it. It is (in my philosophy--not all teachers agree and that's okay too!) giving a child the tools necessary to make her want to learn. To make her think of the new possibilities, to be critical of a problem presented to her, to let her approach information creatively, to hear different opinions from her peers and learn how to respond. Once she has those tools, she can become a life long learner, and take her education into her own hands.  I'm sure there are many homeschool teachers who do this--which, again, is great! But there are also many parents who simply try to teach their kids facts without teaching them how to learn. Without oversight and training, situations like those described by @mollysmom and @Hashtag Blessed can become all too common. 

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived