IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

I skimmed the birthday videos and was surprised by how few Duggars were there. Michelle, Joy, Austin, and James (?). Out of such a large family where was everyone else? 

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jill looks happy in those videos but those poor cakes- they’re so flat :(  did one of the little kids make them? Were there other cakes or cupcakes? Obviously, I think it’s not a party without a proper cake. Hee hee:cupcake:

Those cakes were tragic. As is Ofjill still forcing Oklahoma State on his family. We get it dude, you miss your "glory" days. 

Although I should give Dumb and Dumber exactly one prop....they let Sam out of his car seat. :pb_lol: 

EDIT: Taking the one prop I gave them away because I just saw on reddit that Jill's newest recipe on her blog is....wait for it. "Poor man's pizza" where she just pours canned tomato sauce and shredded cheese on a slice of bread and a torilla. 

42 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

EDIT: Taking the one prop I gave them away because I just saw on reddit that Jill's newest recipe on her blog is....wait for it. "Poor man's pizza" where she just pours canned tomato sauce and shredded cheese on a slice of bread and a torilla. 

I don't have a problem with teaching your child how to make this for those times when they just desperately want to snack and are starving to death. I wouldn't entirely consider it a lunch, unless it was something you taught your Elementary school-age child to make and they wanted to cook lunch and were so extremely proud of themself.

I am only slightly embarrassed to say, that's not too far from something that I make when camping. Pie iron pizzas is a camping tradition for me, where you better a piece of bread, put it buttered side down in a square or round pie iron (think a metal box with a long handle that you stick in the fire), then add tomato sauce whatever toppings you want, and cheese, butter another piece of bread and stick it buttered side out, then clamp the other end of the pie iron there. Stick it in the fire until it's toasted on one side, then turn and toast on the other. Wow! I think I just have a best-selling recipe... I must be channeling Jill!:laughing-jumpingpurple: We also make pie iron pies, substituting pie filling for all of the pizza innards.

11 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

On another note, I am a member of a student-run philanthropy that raises money for our local children's hospital. $1 can buy about 8 preemie diapers for babies in the NICU. If you ever wanted to help out a stranger, donating even $5 to your local children's hopsital can go such a long way. 

My undergraduate university has a student group that raises money to pay for non-medical expenses families incur when they have a seriously ill child. They pay parking fees for every parent visiting a sick child, and cover other expenses as needed. Everything from gas money to drive to/from the hospital and meal vouchers at local restaurants, to covering rent or utilities if parents have lost work to care for thier kid.

on the topic of nurses - I don’t have any experience with NICU, but I did spend a lot of time as a visitor in the adult ICU during the last few years of my stepdad’s life. ICU nurses are truly remarkable in thier work. I was alway impressed by thier ability to be so precise and focused with patient care while also being compassionate and supportive of family members. I will never forget my stepdad’s nurse having a charming, casual, one-sided conversation while he did regular IV and airway checks on my stepdad. Or the time a nurse walked in, saw that we had 3 visitors in the room (only 2 allowed) - she had every right to tell us to leave, but she left and returned with another chair so there was space for everyone to sit.

9 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I don't have a problem with teaching your child how to make this for those times when they just desperately want to snack and are starving to death.

The point is, do you think this "recipe" is worthy enough for your blog? That readers may want to learn how to make it? No. This is trash lol. She's failing at food blogging. 

11 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The point is, do you think this "recipe" is worthy enough for your blog? That readers may want to learn how to make it? No. This is trash lol. She's failing at food blogging. 

Absolutely not, although I've seen it in children's "cookbooks". I agree with her food blog fail. I'm waiting for her to teach me how to make a PB&J sandwich, and suggest that I might even use honey instead of jelly!

By the way, when I mentioned starving, I meant the drama that some children can lead you to believe, not legitimately hungry. I should have put it in quotes.

11 hours ago, takers401 said:

I skimmed the birthday videos and was surprised by how few Duggars were there. Michelle, Joy, Austin, and James (?). Out of such a large family where was everyone else? 

It is strange. Under one of the pictures, Jill says that her buddy team was there, so it was Joy (+Austin), James and Jenni, and then Michelle. I understand that the adults especially have their own lives and can't always make it for all of the gazillion birthdays in this family, but what about some of the other younger siblings? What about Jessa and Anna with the kids who are Sam's age? Jim Bob couldn't make it? It just strikes me as odd that the entire Dillard family was there (even Cathy's husband, whom we barely ever see), but almost no Duggars. It almost seems as if only the buddy team (plus JB&M, I assume) were invited.

That pizza "recipe" didn't look that bad. Spaghetti sauce is thinner than pizza sauce so if you want a tomato-y pizza it's not going to impress.  As for Momma's Stew, it might be tasty but I have a personal aversion to ground beef in soups. Most of my life if someone made vegetable stew with beef it was leftover from a roast, not hamburger. The directions seem weird. "In skillet cook ground beef with ketchup, onion powder and liquid aminos" What.

20 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

And a Oklahoma State University theme for a 1-year-old's party? Really Derick, either go back and take classes there or get a job as a janitor or something since you seem to miss it so much.

Wait hold up...wasn't Israel's last birthday OSU themed? Or was that the birthday before that? I remember an orange cake. 

I used to love making mini "pizzas" on english muffins. However, as pointed out earlier,  it isn't necessarily a blog worthy recipe.

Those cakes. Whoever made them clearly has not been watching The Great British Bake Off (which I may or may not admit to being obsessed with lately.)

Aren't some of the family in Texas and some in Oshkosh At the air show?

I am surprised it wasn't Noah's Ark themed or some children's bible study.  A secular cake, perhaps a 2mm move out of fundy?

2 hours ago, Ilovebrownies said:

Sauce on bread is disgusting.  At least toast it first.

Unless it's a fresh white bun with Swiss Chalet dipping sauce. #Canadianeh

There are a few reasons besides not liking Derick that less people were there.

I'm not sure Jill can handle a super full house. Sure, they could go to the TTH but that has it's own dynamic.

Derick's family may not enjoy the Duggars as much as we'd like to believe....

Maybe the Duggars are pissed that Derick got him and Jill removed from the show... but are not pushing them away entirely (e.g. will still show up w/ a limited crew for a grandkid's bday).

Pizza bagels are where it's at. You definitely have to toast them first, though. Then apply whatever sauce you like, toppings, stick it in the oven for as long as it takes the cheese to melt/toppings to cook to your satisfaction (I make mine without cheese because I'm a heathen). Good way to indulge your craving for pizza without being tempted by an entire takeout pizza sitting there.

I've been on a very limited bland diet for the past month, so I've basically been daydreaming about all the food I desperately wish I could eat. I was hanging out with my mum, and listing stuff like, "Chocolate cake... chocolate cream pie... pizza... hotdogs... brownies..." And she was like, "When was the last time you ate a hotdog?" "I don't know, like two years ago?" "Or a brownie?" "Uh...." It doesn't matter, I just want to EAT ALL THE THINGS. :pb_lol:

22 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

And a Oklahoma State University theme for a 1-year-old's party? Really Derick, either go back and take classes there or get a job as a janitor or something since you seem to miss it so much.

Sports teams are a really common little kid birthday party theme in these parts.  Is that not a thing everywhere?

5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It isn't worth a blog. It might be a cute mention of a "recipe" you can make with a small child.

2 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I used to love making mini "pizzas" on english muffins. However, as pointed out earlier,  it isn't necessarily a blog worthy recipe.

Those cakes. Whoever made them clearly has not been watching The Great British Bake Off (which I may or may not admit to being obsessed with lately.)

Aren't some of the family in Texas and some in Oshkosh At the air show?

OMG isn't that show the best? I would love to even bake close to the failures

Isn't it more like LAZY MAN PIZZA? A lot of folks have flour and yeast in their pantries. Use your imagination - a can of tomato paste can be doctored into pizza sauce. Grow some damn basil in your garden, put that shit on there. Add some mozzarella - you've got a fancy homemade pizza. Maybe add some dried oregano. Cheap yet better tasting.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I've been on a very limited bland diet for the past month, so I've basically been daydreaming about all the food I desperately wish I could eat. I was hanging out with my mum, and listing stuff like, "Chocolate cake... chocolate cream pie... pizza... hotdogs... brownies..." And she was like, "When was the last time you ate a hotdog?" "I don't know, like two years ago?" "Or a brownie?" "Uh...." It doesn't matter, I just want to EAT ALL THE THINGS. :pb_lol:

When I came home after my semester in NZ I ate two full bowls of fil (a traditional fermented milk product from Sweden). I’ve always liked it ok but I doubt I had eaten it at all for years before I left. I just craved it. So weird. Totally get your sudden need for hotdogs. It’s knowing you can’t that make it itch somewhere in the brain. :562479569aefe_32(14):

41 minutes ago, Frumper said:

Sports teams are a really common little kid birthday party theme in these parts.  Is that not a thing everywhere?

I've lived in California my whole life and I didn't even know this was a thing. I never came across a sport team themed birthday party as a kid. Then again, I have no younger siblings or friends with young siblings. Only a couple of my relatives have young kids, and none of them live anywhere near me. So they could be more common nowadays, but I wouldn't know since I have next to no exposure to kids.

From the recipe: "If using real potatoes, scrub and dice them, then add potatoes to pot and add enough water to cover them (about 1 inch above the potatoes). Bring to boil, then turn heat to med-low and boil for 20 min. then drain." 

Is it common to use unreal potatoes? What else would go in there? Canned potatoes aren't a thing, right? And do people truly need to have "how to boil potatoes" explained to them?

Side question: why wasn't Jim Bob at the party? Jilly muffin was a clear favorite daughter. Has Derick's idiocy really started to cut her off from her family members? Jana wasn't there either. Did Jill really only bond with her buddy group? Was the apparent closeness she had with Jana for the camera or out of necessity when raising all those kids together? Are her sisters still pissed about how she took tons of clothes when she left the TTH?

They have shared their garden space; they have outdoor room and camping chairs.  It seems like the potential for an outdoor-indoor gathering was there, so why everyone would be crammed inside and the guest list so small (given the enormity of her family) is quite odd.  Sure, tons of grandkids will inevitably arrive, but Jill still only has two kids, and it's Sam's first birthday. It's significant enough to save the candle, but not significant enough to have, say, his maternal grandpa there? Weird.  It's all very weird. 

It strikes me that there are a lot of very off things about fundies named Jill. 

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived