IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

54 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I was very motivated to read at a young age, and my parents refused to teach me.  I remember begging for Hooked On Phonics, but my mom told me "No, you're 3.  You're too young to read."  BUT I did get to learn my letters.  

So then I would make my parents read me the SAME STORY from my Children's Bible every time I got reading time, and have them use their finger so I could follow along with the words.  The story I chose was Elijah Kills the Prophets of Baal.  I think I chose it because I felt 'a' was one of my strongest letters, and Baal has 2 a's.  It's not exactly a pleasant story, and I am sure it was not a pleasant time for anyone as my parents struggled to figure out why their pre-schooler was suddenly obsessed with a story of smite and vengeance.  

Eventually, between memorization and knowing letter sounds, I could recognize common words and began to sound out others.  Kid's books repeat the same common words over and over, so it wasn't too much of a jump for me to start on other stories that I was familiar with, but less so.  My mom figured it out when I started coming out of my room, asking for a specific word, and then returning to my room to read. 

Basically, my point is that if your kid wants to learn to read, let them try!  If they fail, it's a great time to teach them about how failure happens, you can try again when you're more ready, and how the important thing is NOT that you failed, but that you keep trying.  

Because if you don't, you might have to read Elijah Kills the Prophets of Baal over and over and over and over.  And no one wants to do that.  

I would have been a very sad child if I wasn't allowed to learn to read until 10. by four I'd already memorized 101 dalmatians. I had my grandma read that thing over and over to me. by five I was reading small children's books and by the middle of high school I was sure that Star reading level test was making words up because they were such high level words.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Georgiana I learned to read by studying a book called, “Baby Moses” over and over. Figuring out sounds and words like you did. I was motivated because I was tired of waiting for my mom to come home from work to read books (she worked part time then, so I guess I was super impatient?). And then she’d be tired after work and not want to immediately sit down and read stories the second she walked in the door.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, Beermeet said:

Late thought:  the color of the carrots are stained by the beef bullion cubes, aka: the only damn seasoning.  Even if you don't want to eat the onion and celery (that I know as a staple of potroast) put it in for flavor.  Just bullion?  Ew.  Salt and harsh but bland flavor.  Spices and fresh herbs are you friends!  If this working mom can church it up a bit, so can "professional homemaker",  Jill.  And, the hot french bread for dipping.  A salad to balance it all out and aid in digestion from such a heavy meal.  C'mon, have some fun! Life is too short for Jill's recipe. 

I HATE onions but the flavor they ad to food is amazing, I can't handle the texture or something and its is an over powering taste, so while I can handle well cooked minced onions in soups and roasts. And Yes celery is vile and disgusting but in certain foods it gives another layer of flavor, I only use it in stocks, roasts, and soups, but leave them in big enough chucks to easily pick out and not a lot so the flavor doesn't overwhelm. I cook with foods I don't like to eat all the time on their own, but when mixed into certain dishes they are delicious.

I don't ever remember "learning" how to read. I was reading chapter books when I started kindergarten, and had read all the Little House books before starting first grade. I was (and still am) a voracious reader. When I was in first grade, I tested at an 8th-grade reading level, by second grade, I was reading (and comprehending) at college level. Books were very important in our house. 

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Yes celery is vile and disgusting 

Fuck celery. If I accidentally ingest it when it’s an ingredient (chicken salad, matzo ball soup) I gag on the awful taste and it ruins the entire bite. I basically try and discreetly pick celery out of food.

It's funny. I am the same way with bacon. I can't imagine sitting down and eating a plate of bacon, no way. However, it does add flavor to collards and green beans so I am not fussed if someone serves me beans or veggies with bacon as a flavoring agent.

i think the main thing in learning is to follow the child's lead and make it fun. Some kids are ready to read very early, some not until they're 9 or so. The problem is that if a child can't read by first grade, they're automatically behind until they CAN read, and forcing a child to try and learn to read before they are ready often ends up with a child who hates reading. 

I went to a good preschool, but wasn't ready to read until kindergarten. By the end of that year they were having to go get me 2nd and 3rd grade level books from the elementary library, and I read voraciously up through college. My sister, who likely has undiagnosed dyslexia, struggled. So we ended up at the library every week in the summer, with me checking out as many books as I could carry, and her checking out preschool-level books just to check them off and get the summer reading program rewards.

I have a co-worker who hates to read. And everyone in her family hates to read. She encourages her grandson to read a half hour a day as he does better in school when he keeps that up, but she freely admits that she hates to read. I don't get it at all, but I suspect that she may have been pushed to read a bit before she was ready, and hated it then and still hates it now.

18 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

i think the main thing in learning is to follow the child's lead and make it fun. Some kids are ready to read very early, some not until they're 9 or so. The problem is that if a child can't read by first grade, they're automatically behind until they CAN read, and forcing a child to try and learn to read before they are ready often ends up with a child who hates reading. 

I don't know if anyone here has heard of Waldorf schools. For those unfamiliar with the concept, here's the gist of it: https://waldorfeducation.org/waldorf_education

I bring this up because Waldorf schools don't teach reading until 3rd grade. They also have 2 years of kindergarten, so kids are generally on the older side (compared to those in mainstream schools) up front. I didn't learn about Waldorf schools until 8th grade as I was enrolling into a Waldorf high school. So when I found out about the above, I nearly had culture shock. After all, why push it to 3rd grade when kids can start way sooner? However, upon reading this post, I realized why putting off reading can actually be a blessing.

It also reminds me of a former friend's younger sister who at 5, literally didn't want to read. She was lowered back in preschool because of it, yet still didn't want to do it. I lost contact with that friend when she and her sister moved schools. By then, her sister was in 1st grade, 8 years old, and continued to refuse. I have no idea when she finally buckled down and felt ready to learn, or her relationship with reading as of today.

I feels sad for kids who won’t  know the joy of being let loose in the library and told the libray only allows you to take out x number of books a day so choose wisely. My mother was such a lover of books the library and bookstore were like my second home. She always said she loved nothing more than to see a kid with a book. 

I worked at the library all through school and some parents would be there with their tiny kids taking out 10 picture books (the daily max) and be back the next day to return them for more. Some kids would be so excited about their books they might have one or so too many and I would just override the max so they could read more. My friend’s son is six and has been reading since he was four. He is a very advanced reader. She can barely keep him in new books to read. I don’t understand discouraging something that can only change a child’s life for the better. I have gone so far as to put my kindle on my phone just in case I have downtime somewhere and didn’t bring a book or regular kind. I have “extra” paperbacks in my trunk if the need arises. 

On 7/20/2018 at 3:56 PM, finnlassie said:

I just imagined him going absolutely fucking bonkers after a few weeks of studies, ripping his shirt off and attempting to burn the school while shouting "I AM THE LAW. I AM THE LAAAAW!!!!"

This.

But seriously, I cannot see Derick getting through law school.  He may try of course, but given how many course changes we have seen him make since his marriage, I am not sure he's going to stick with it.    It's going to be a grind, hard work, he will have to listen to his professors, learn to actually communicate.   I don't see him getting through it but as pointed out, he did get through a real accredited college so maybe he will surprise me.

It's just seems that law school is yet another thing to try after quitting  on other things.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I don't ever remember "learning" how to read. I was reading chapter books when I started kindergarten, and had read all the Little House books before starting first grade. I was (and still am) a voracious reader. When I was in first grade, I tested at an 8th-grade reading level, by second grade, I was reading (and comprehending) at college level. Books were very important in our house. 

I work at a library. I love to read. Everyone knows that about me. When my son was born, I was reading to him in the hospital (Thomas the Tank Engine). By a year old, he knew his alphabet... and not just the ABC song, I could point to a letter and he would know it. By the time he was about 18 months, he started to read small words. I remember he had these letters he would play with and I was astounded that he spelled out "boy" on his own. As he got older his reading accelerated. I remember being in the store and people being in shock that he was reading the labels on things. It just came to him so easy. We did always read to him and then we read with him once he could take over. 

@allthegoodnamesrgone I do the same with onions. I don't do well with the texture at all but for soups, sauces, etc, I treat them like bay leaves and fish them out,  or let someone else have them when I cook or others. 

If Jill wants to brand herself in part as a home cook sharing receipes she could include optional ingredients. She did it in her chicken and noodle soup receipe, where the chicken was listed as optional. :my_huh:  

Watched the video of Sam walking...poor Izzy :(  Fuck you Derick for literally pushing him away so it didnt block the shot of Sam and how you "taught him" how to walk. Or after Sam walked tell Izzy its his turn to show something he can do and include him that way. 

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I work at a library. I love to read. Everyone knows that about me. When my son was born, I was reading to him in the hospital (Thomas the Tank Engine). By a year old, he knew his alphabet... and not just the ABC song, I could point to a letter and he would know it. By the time he was about 18 months, he started to read small words. I remember he had these letters he would play with and I was astounded that he spelled out "boy" on his own. As he got older his reading accelerated. I remember being in the store and people being in shock that he was reading the labels on things. It just came to him so easy. We did always read to him and then we read with him once he could take over. 

I packed a board book in my hospital bag that we read to our daughter when she was born. Of course, I ended up not being able to find it because I was so stressed out and tired from everything that happened. I did manage to find another book - “Welcome to the World!” - that was in a gift bag that one of the charities working with our NICU gave us. So that was the book we read to her instead. I read it first and then my husband read it to her again right after. It was one of the only times we felt like normal parents and not preemie parents during her NICU stay - you could almost (not quite) forget about all the wires and machines.

5 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Fuck celery. If I accidentally ingest it when it’s an ingredient (chicken salad, matzo ball soup) I gag on the awful taste and it ruins the entire bite. I basically try and discreetly pick celery out of food.

I eat plain celery as a snack!!! Haha I LOVE it!!! 

You have to know your children.

My son at 2.5 was learning to read, knew all his letters, could count to 20 (and count down in reverse), was able to sort animals according to what continent they lived on and had actually memorized several books. Have lots of videos of him flipping through the books reciting every word correctly. He was obsessed with books and has dozens upon dozens. You only had to read a board book like Brown Bear What Do You See or Bear Snores On maybe 3-4 times before he memorized the entire thing. His daycare teachers actually asked me when he was only 2 whether we noticed he had an extraordinary memory because he knew where every toy was in his toddler room at all times. I have a photographic memory so it must be genetic. The point is not to brag but that for him teaching him things at a young age made him flourish and made him so happy. He loved being outdoors but he didn't really love climbing things and jumping and running like many other boys his age. He preferred his books, and jigsaw puzzles which he would also memorize how to do. We didn't sit him down at a desk and treat him like he was in school but we definitely spent a lot of time teaching him things.

On 7/21/2018 at 4:00 PM, Hashtag Blessed said:

Lol I once had mulled cider made by someone who did this exact same thing, only she didn't smell the difference. It tasted... interesting. I'll never forget it. 

One time, at Thanksgiving at my house, my mom was making stuffing, and pulled out my curry....I was being sarcastic, because I am, and said something along the lines of "curry goes in anything!".... She missed the sarcasm, and that was a very interesting cornbread stuffing, lol

I do my roast beef with chunked potatoes and onions, and usually whole carrots that are cut down to about baby carrot size (baby carrots don't last in my house, I swear my son is part rabbit), celery, garlic, whatever herbs and spices feel right, and sometimes some grated squash or zucchini (my mom won't eat it in chunks, but likes it if she can't see it, lol), or any other veggies that need to be used up

I also like Mississippi Pot Roast (which I also like with pork roast, and someone told me recently that it's good with chicken too)- put your meat in the pan or slow cooker, add a packet of ranch dressing mix, a packet of au jus mix, a stick of butter, and some pepperoncini peppers (the recipe calls for 4 or 5- I don't like them, so I don't put any, my friend puts a whole jar plus the juice, lol, so whatever you like). Cook it til the meat is done. It's good with veggies in the pot, or over mashed potatoes, it makes a great gravy. I use DIY ranch and au jus packets, because I don't like to buy them, lol

On 7/21/2018 at 12:16 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

Would wearing it during sex be grounds for divorce in a covenant marriage? 

Depends on which one has to wear the Pistol Pete head...

Kids and reading...

I think I was born knowing how to read. I remember devouring the World Book Encyclopedia when I was pretty darn young (we were still in Philly and we moved from there when I was around 9). I got pulled out of kindergarten and sent to first grade within two weeks because I said the other kids were "dumb" and I was trying to teach the class. They wanted me to go to third grade but my parents said no. 

Daughter - I don't really remember her NOT knowing how to read. She talked early, was reading by about three. I never "taught" her, nor did I read to her much...she'd grab the book out of my hands and say "do by myself". 

#1 Son - He learned to read in pre-school. The first year he went like 2 afternoons a week and the second year he went 5 mornings a week. He also decided to walk up to the fire station one fine day. We lived in BFE Indiana and it was like 500 feet from the school. He just ducked out and took off.  

#2 Son - I was homeschooling because the schools didn't have programs to really help my stepdaughter (see BFE Indiana) so we spent time at the kitchen table working on stuff and he would be crawling around underneath the table, playing with his cars, whatever. I didn't think he was even paying attention until I would come downstairs every morning and find the TV tuned to Cartoon Network. It finally dawned on me that the little critter could tune the satellite remote to what he wanted, knew how to read the guide and would get up in the middle of the night to watch. When he was in 2nd grade or so, at the "meet the teacher" night, he walked in, went up to a bunch of books the teacher had in a basket and flipped them all out saying "baby book, baby book". The teacher told him he could bring whatever he wanted to read instead...so he did. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton...the teacher asked him if he understood what he was reading, he treated the teacher to a 20 minute lecture on why Crichton was "stupid" to use amphibian DNA to fill in the missing sections....that using avian or reptillian DNA would make more sense. 

So...now you know why I'm half crazy...raising smart (as in tested IQ smart) kids SUCKS. 

I taught myself the ABC’s from Sesame Street quite young so my mom taught me to read.  By third grade the library let me take unlimited books at my school because the Librarian didn't want to deal with me every other day.  I would have melted in a situation I couldn’t read early.  It was my escape before I ever knew thats what I was doing.  

Its different from kid, to kid, but waiting until 10 is unfathomable to me.  By 10 you should be able to follow simple instructions and recipes like how to make instant oatmeal or scrambled eggs,  read road signs while on a bike, or help shop for things at the market... I just can’t imagine it. 

I was an early reader. I loved "Thumbelina" so much I had memorized it, and then I spent hours a day "reading" it to myself till one day my surprised parents realized I could actually read everything. In my language spelling is identical to pronunciation, so it wasn't that hard, I guess. I was somewhere between two and three.
Earlier that year my mother had made me stuffed toy letters to help me learn reading. She says at one point she decided I was too young for them and took them away, but I cried for them till I got them back. I loved my letters and stories back then, and I still do. 

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I remember devouring the World Book Encyclopedia when I was pretty darn young

We must be sisters from another mother... I was copying word for word the WBE before Kindergarten.

On reading: One of my earlier memories is of my dad reading the McGuffey's Primer with me and teaching me how to sound out words when I was four. We also read plenty of other books, and I loved reading from an early age. I could read at a fairly advanced level by the time I started kindergarten, and I remember being bored silly in first grade because I would always be done with the paragraph/picture book we were reading before the other kids were -- this actually caused a lot of problems for me later on because I was so used to coasting and not having to really work at anything, that actually studying was difficult for me to adjust to. I eventually found ways of studying that worked for me, but that took a really, really long time. I still love to read, though between work and all my social activities it can be tough to find the time. 

On the other hand, my parents tried to do everything they did with me with my sister, but they were met with a lot of frustration because she had dyslexia, which wasn't diagnosed until she was about 8. First they thought she was just being stubborn, then they thought something was wrong with her vision (getting warmer, I guess), then after batteries of tests, they found out she was dyslexic. She likes audiobooks a lot and going to a school specifically for kids with NVLDs helped her learn to read at grade level, and she graduated from college last year, which 13 years ago my parents feared she wouldn't be able to do, or would take a longer time to do, or (LE GASP) would have to go to a not-very-prestigious school. 

1 hour ago, LovelyLuna said:

Its different from kid, to kid, but waiting until 10 is unfathomable to me.  By 10 you should be able to follow simple instructions and recipes like how to make instant oatmeal or scrambled eggs,  read road signs while on a bike, or help shop for things at the market... I just can’t imagine it. 

I made my first batch of cookies by myself when I was 5- reading, measuring, stirring, putting them in and out of the oven- the whole thing. Mom was in the kitchen, but she didn't help me.

I made my first pie (rhubarb, crust and all) when I was 10. I cut my finger (think it was my first time with a sharp knife). I've been baking bread from scratch (including no bread machine) since  I was 12.

11 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

You have to know your children.

My son at 2.5 was learning to read, knew all his letters, could count to 20 (and count down in reverse), was able to sort animals according to what continent they lived on and had actually memorized several books. Have lots of videos of him flipping through the books reciting every word correctly. He was obsessed with books and has dozens upon dozens. You only had to read a board book like Brown Bear What Do You See or Bear Snores On maybe 3-4 times before he memorized the entire thing. His daycare teachers actually asked me when he was only 2 whether we noticed he had an extraordinary memory because he knew where every toy was in his toddler room at all times. I have a photographic memory so it must be genetic. The point is not to brag but that for him teaching him things at a young age made him flourish and made him so happy. He loved being outdoors but he didn't really love climbing things and jumping and running like many other boys his age. He preferred his books, and jigsaw puzzles which he would also memorize how to do. We didn't sit him down at a desk and treat him like he was in school but we definitely spent a lot of time teaching him things.

Two of my sons were also like you described.I had what seemed to be more time with my first son.He was memorizing his books,the names of stores etc.

When lived at our other house,my oldest was 2.5,we had a screened porch.The neighbor came home from the store,my son saw the bags from the store she went to...he called to her,"Mrs J..Did you go to Doscher's??".She was amazed..and told me she went inside and told her husband my son knew which store she went to.

When he was in kindergarten his teacher was also amazed by his memory.He learned every child's birthday,and could tell you exactly what day a certain child was supposed to bring snack that day.She told a friend she thought my son has/had a photographic memory.

I think it's genetic,too.I used to work with a group of women,and as long as we continued our work,we were allowed to talk all we wanted.Names and dates have always been easy for me to remember...unfortunately,I can remember disagreements ,too..with Mr Melon from 15 years ago.The girls at work said I should be on Jeopardy.No,under pressure or in a large group,with an audience,my mind would probably go blank!LOL

My Mum taught my sisters and I to read before we started school, my younger sister could add, subtract, multiply and divide by the time she started!  (I can still barely do those things).  I can't imagine learning how to read at 10 - how would you even do school work before then if you couldn't read?

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived