IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

I had my Dad tortured reading to me. He was stuffing those Golden Books everywhere, under couch cushions and under beds; just because there was a stack of like 30 books that he had to get through in a night! I am a massive reader and have been reading for as long as I can remember. 

My family is a family of super fast readers, my Dad and I devour books when we get into them, reading them in 1-2 days for him and within hours for me. My brother can do the same thing, read just as quickly, but he prefers video games to books. We are all different! Which is fun, but I wish more people would give books a chance! ;) 

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see Derick starting up a reality show like TMZ, only with a fundie lens. He would troll celebrities and politicians and slam them for unchristian like behaviour. Perhaps he could call it KJV! And at the end of the show he could have a little cartoon Derick pop up and say, “And I’m a lawyer!” 

16 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I packed a board book in my hospital bag that we read to our daughter when she was born. Of course, I ended up not being able to find it because I was so stressed out and tired from everything that happened. I did manage to find another book - “Welcome to the World!” - that was in a gift bag that one of the charities working with our NICU gave us. So that was the book we read to her instead. I read it first and then my husband read it to her again right after. It was one of the only times we felt like normal parents and not preemie parents during her NICU stay - you could almost (not quite) forget about all the wires and machines.

I can't even imagine how scary that was. 

Jill with some friends from Cross church. Also she ran into Jabbie but I posted that picture over on the Jabbie thread. 

Jill looks nice. I like her wardobe better now that it includes pants and some cute tops.

Too bad about the shitty husband.

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I can't even imagine how scary that was. 

To be honest, we had it easy compared to a lot of the families there. Our daughter was healthy and big for her gestational age, so she came home after just a week despite being six weeks premature.

Our NICU underwent a renovation right after our daughter was discharged and it’s much nicer now, but there was no privacy when we were there. If I wanted to nurse or do skin to skin then the Nurses has to put up a partial partition that left next to no room to move around, but at least offered a tiny bit of privacy. And it was horrible walking past the isolettes holding micropreemies and hearing random noises from the machines for our daughter and the babies near her was difficult too. The worst was not being able to walk around with her though. We had to stay close to the bassinet she was in because of the wires. It was all just a constant reminder about the situation we were in. There was really no escaping that, which is why I really cherished that time I got to read outloud to her. I finally got to feel like a normal mom looking after her baby. 

Jill does look good in that picture with the CC women. 

I don't remember exactly when I learned to read but I do remember disliking kindergarten because of the strict setup they had. When it was time to work on our reading and math booklets, we sat at a long table with high dividers in between each student like it was the final question in Jeopardy.  

14 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Jill with some friends from Cross church. Also she ran into Jabbie but I posted that picture over on the Jabbie thread. 

wow, they've come a long way since frumpers! What a trendy bunch of Christian mummy-bloggers! That striped jumpsuit is :tw_thumbsup:

On 7/22/2018 at 1:14 AM, Ivycoveredtower said:

Izzy really seems to be getting the short end of the stick first the reading video and now Derick is scolding him for distract Sam in the sam walking video. honestly I wanted to reach through the screen shake Derick and say who and the fuck cares if he's distracting the baby. Sam is having Fun and pay some attention to your oldest child dumbass. 

Derick is such a horrible father. If he knew anything about kids, or how to foster a healthy bond between his two sons and him, he would include Izzy in teaching Sam how to walk.

Izzy will look back on these videos and feel resentment. I don't wish that for any child, but I've seen family videos where my brother would push me aside when I wanted to help his kids and I still feel the rejection.

What a jerk. He wanted to highlight his own parenting instead of his kid's achievement.

On 7/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, AtlanticTug said:

You have to know your children.

My son at 2.5 was learning to read, knew all his letters, could count to 20 (and count down in reverse), was able to sort animals according to what continent they lived on and had actually memorized several books. Have lots of videos of him flipping through the books reciting every word correctly. He was obsessed with books and has dozens upon dozens. You only had to read a board book like Brown Bear What Do You See or Bear Snores On maybe 3-4 times before he memorized the entire thing. His daycare teachers actually asked me when he was only 2 whether we noticed he had an extraordinary memory because he knew where every toy was in his toddler room at all times. I have a photographic memory so it must be genetic. The point is not to brag but that for him teaching him things at a young age made him flourish and made him so happy. He loved being outdoors but he didn't really love climbing things and jumping and running like many other boys his age. He preferred his books, and jigsaw puzzles which he would also memorize how to do. We didn't sit him down at a desk and treat him like he was in school but we definitely spent a lot of time teaching him things.

Agree here. I had an early reader and more enthusiastic young learner, and one that come more slowly to the party. My later learner/ reader was my much more academically successful child. Things came much easier and the love for reading insatiable. The later reader never read kid type books. It was chapter books from the start.

Other than the Bible, reading wasn't really encouraged in my household. We had a number of religious texts in my house and a few secular books, but that was it. I wish I would've read more as a child; I always did whatever I could to avoid reading, even though I enjoyed writing class and English class.  My friends all loved reading and often got special prizes/trips for how much they read during school and the summer, but I just couldn't get into it.

It wasn't until middle school that I started to enjoy reading. I had already finished an assignment in my creative writing class and my teacher didn't want me just sitting around, so she told me to go to the library and get a book. I told her I didn't like reading and I promised I would sit quietly and not disturb anyone. She insisted I go and told me to get Pride and Prejudice with a promise I would love it. That was the best thing any teacher ever did for me. It turns out I just needed the right book to love reading.

19 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

To be honest, we had it easy compared to a lot of the families there. Our daughter was healthy and big for her gestational age, so she came home after just a week despite being six weeks premature.

Our NICU underwent a renovation right after our daughter was discharged and it’s much nicer now, but there was no privacy when we were there. If I wanted to nurse or do skin to skin then the Nurses has to put up a partial partition that left next to no room to move around, but at least offered a tiny bit of privacy. And it was horrible walking past the isolettes holding micropreemies and hearing random noises from the machines for our daughter and the babies near her was difficult too. The worst was not being able to walk around with her though. We had to stay close to the bassinet she was in because of the wires. It was all just a constant reminder about the situation we were in. There was really no escaping that, which is why I really cherished that time I got to read outloud to her. I finally got to feel like a normal mom looking after her baby. 

I'm so sorry, that sounds really tough. My second child was hospitalized for ten days after he was born, but our hospital had no NICU. He had pneumonia. But as long as his condition didn't deteriorate, they kept him there in a room on the Labor and Delivery floor and I stayed with him. I was a freaking wreck, and that was in a private room with a baby who only needed to finish ten days of antibiotics before going home with me. 

A relative had a NICU baby, and I went to see her in the city. That NICU was really nice. Private rooms with glass fronts for each baby with wood floors, rocking chairs, couches--all made as homey as possible given the situation. Plus a lounge for the parents at the end of the hall with showers, snack machines, couches, tv so they could relax a little bit. You could tell a lot of consideration went into the design.

Cute top, skinny jeans, and a nose ring is a start. If she chops her hair to her shoulders then I'll be impressed.

@Lisafer, that NICU may have seemed nice, but I wonder how the private room aspect would feel to those parents whose babies are in there for months.  When my daughter was in the NICU for 4 months 30 years ago, the NICU was divided into Intensive with the sickest babies, Intermediate with more stable babies and the Discharge section which had babies who were almost but not quite ready to go home.  There was also a Mother Feed room with the breastpump, a rocking chair and the freezer for breastmilk and the Quiet Room  which is where I went to initiate breastfeeding.  There were rocking chairs beside each incubator or crib.  In the four months we were there, we got to know a lot of the other parents and could share in their sorrows and triumphs.  

As far as the floors, they were probably something like Terrazzo which would stand up to lots of cleaning with water.  

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Lisafer, that NICU may have seemed nice, but I wonder how the private room aspect would feel to those parents whose babies are in there for months.  When my daughter was in the NICU for 4 months 30 years ago, the NICU was divided into Intensive with the sickest babies, Intermediate with more stable babies and the Discharge section which had babies who were almost but not quite ready to go home.  There was also a Mother Feed room with the breastpump, a rocking chair and the freezer for breastmilk and the Quiet Room  which is where I went to initiate breastfeeding.  There were rocking chairs beside each incubator or crib.  In the four months we were there, we got to know a lot of the other parents and could share in their sorrows and triumphs.  

As far as the floors, they were probably something like Terrazzo which would stand up to lots of cleaning with water.  

Yeah, when I said "wood floors" I meant the laminate wood-like flooring. It was very realistic though. My relative's baby WAS there for months--as far as I could tell the family enjoyed the quiet peacefulness of the private area. ETA: it made it easier to sleep/spend nights next to your baby and actually get some rest.

@Lisafer @PennySycamore Our NICU was renovated after we left. It’s now more of a compromise between what it was like when we were there and the one that @Lisafervisited in the City. Some of the rooms are private (and are designed in a similar way to the ones Lisafer saw), but others are semi-private*. The semi-private rooms are all located in the four corners of one big room and each corner has a curtain that can be drawn around the two open sides so you can at least nurse or do skin to skin in private. It’s a much better alternative to a flimsy partition. I think they can also perform most of the testing and procedures necessary in the rooms or within the NICU itself, which is great since parents won’t have to run all around the hospital now. I think a setup like that could work well for parents like Penny, who really cherished the bonds they forged with other families, and parents like me, who would have killed for some quiet and privacy. The overall environment sounds much calmer and more peaceful than what we experienced and I’m really glad other families are benefitting from it now. 

*Most important is the addition of an overnight room for families. I don’t know which families are allowed to stay or how many, but that would have been an absolute godsend for me. I didn’t have a single panic attack until the night I was discharged. Being able to stay in the hospital with her would have been incredible. I’m really glad they added that specific feature when they renovated everything. 

Stemming from our own micro preemie  (born at 24 weeks at 1lb 4oz) who sadly never got to come home, I've volunteered at many nicu's. I've NEVER run into a nurse or doctor that was anything but compassionate and caring. The people who work there are a special breed. I'm so glad your daughter is healthy!

As for reading, my sisters kids were over this weekend and being the good Auntie I am, I got them each a new book, Captain Underpants for the 7 year old boy and Judy Moody for the 6 yr old girl. This is my daughter reading to her cousin who isn't quite able to ready completely on her own yet (she's going into 1st grade) but loves a good bedtime story.  don't mind the weird black fade, that was my attempt at blocking out their faces as best I could on this crappy computer.

pic.jpg

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

@Lisafer @PennySycamore Our NICU was renovated after we left. It’s now more of a compromise between what it was like when we were there and the one that @Lisafervisited in the City. Some of the rooms are private (and are designed in a similar way to the ones Lisafer saw), but others are semi-private*. The semi-private rooms are all located in the four corners of one big room and each corner has a curtain that can be drawn around the two open sides so you can at least nurse or do skin to skin in private. It’s a much better alternative to a flimsy partition. I think they can also perform most of the testing and procedures necessary in the rooms or within the NICU itself, which is great since parents won’t have to run all around the hospital now. I think a setup like that could work well for parents like Penny, who really cherished the bonds they forged with other families, and parents like me, who would have killed for some quiet and privacy. The overall environment sounds much calmer and more peaceful than what we experienced and I’m really glad other families are benefitting from it now. 

*Most important is the addition of an overnight room for families. I don’t know which families are allowed to stay or how many, but that would have been an absolute godsend for me. I didn’t have a single panic attack until the night I was discharged. Being able to stay in the hospital with her would have been incredible. I’m really glad they added that specific feature when they renovated everything. 

Yes, the couch in each room that I saw pulled out into a bed, I believe, or was at least big enough for sleeping. You would have loved it! I'm glad that your little one is home and healthy now.

@Nomorethanfour,  I am so very sorry for the loss of your baby.  As many FJites know, I've been in your shoes although baby Katherine did get to come home.  I don't know your pain, though,  as each bereaved parent goes through their own grief journey with its own sorrows.  :hug4:

5 hours ago, Nomorethanfour said:

Stemming from our own micro preemie  (born at 24 weeks at 1lb 4oz) who sadly never got to come home, I've volunteered at many nicu's. I've NEVER run into a nurse or doctor that was anything but compassionate and caring. The people who work there are a special breed. I'm so glad your daughter is healthy!

Thank you very much. The Nurses and Doctors who work in NICU really are incredibly special and talented people. I know it has to be an incredibly tough and challenging job, but the staff in our NICU always seemed to have a smile or word of comfort or advice when I needed it most. I can’t ever repay the kind of kindness and care they showed my family.

I’d just like to say how very sorry I am for the loss of your child. I wish you a lot of love, peace, and healing as you go through your grief journey. :hug:

Hugs to anyone who’s had to go through having a baby in the NICU. I can’t imagine how stressful it must be.

There are different levels of neonatal care over here (from what I understand), plus it depends on the hospital. In general there are three levels. NICU over here tends to refer to the sickest/smallest babies. The next level up is the High Dependency Unit (HDU) and then the “top” level is SCBU (special care baby unit). My brother was born at term, but was “spotty” at birth; don’t know the exact reason. It was enough for him to require a short NICU stay and antibiotics, but I don’t think he stayed there long. 

The only experience I have with this kind of thing is through watching One Born Every Minute. I remember there was this episode where a woman had triplets; two got to go home relatively quickly but one was in hospital for months, he did eventually go home. 

On 7/25/2018 at 8:48 AM, SassyPants said:

Agree here. I had an early reader and more enthusiastic young learner, and one that come more slowly to the party. My later learner/ reader was my much more academically successful child. Things came much easier and the love for reading insatiable. The later reader never read kid type books. It was chapter books from the start.

I had the same experience with my two children.

Aside from one nurse I hated, everybody in our NICU was also lovely and warm and very welcoming and encouraging.

I realized the other day that I only have 1 photo of my daughter in the incubator and a couple of photos of her being held by me in the NICU being fed some supplementary pumped milk and formula. That's it. I think I just didn't have the time (had a 2-year-old at home as well), was recovering from c-section and trying to pump around the clock. But in retrospect I told my DH that I was actually glad because I have very few memories of the NICU, almost no photos and so I don't ever look at my daughter and think of her as a NICU baby. I think I'm fortunate, maybe I was so high on narcotics after the surgery that the whole thing was just a blur, almost as if it never happened.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived