IGNORED

Seewalds 34: No News Yet

Coconut Flan

21 hours ago, agentshade said:

If that's not odd enough, since when has someone found seeing their parents kiss endearing? My parents are rarely affectionate when I'm around, but on the rare times they are. . .:martian-disgust:

I always felt sproud and happy that my parents were so in love. My Dad died young, but even as a kid I loved how in love they were. It also meant that I went into marriage expecting real true love. I know so many who settle because they never saw real love in action.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

A buggy is a stroller

I know that, there was another unfamiliar (in English) term that was used, reins.

22 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

? Translation please.

21 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

A buggy is a stroller and I believe the Maclaren major is for children with special needs. @Clairice can correct me if I am wrong.  (I am more familiar with wheelchairs, standers, and other types of mobility equipment).

Thanks Wisegirl :)

A maclaren major is a big buggy/stroller for older children with some disabilities, we had ours for ds till he was about 6, once he got too big for it he had a wheelchair issued. 

15 minutes ago, melon said:

Reins is for leash?

I thought perhaps that was it, but it was not completely clear from the context.

16 minutes ago, melon said:

Reins is for leash?

Yup, that's it, like the reins for a horse or carriage or something. I've also heard them called straps, but I think it depends on where you come from. 

I have to admit that I was loathe to use toddler reins when I first started wrangling around my cousins, but their parents insisted. I was 16 at the time and was of the high and mighty opinion that parents who used them were lazy and that their kids were out of control (I mean my own parents' method of smacking us every time we stepped a few feet out of their comfort zone was waaaay better /s). Despite my opinions I did keep the reins on the kids when we were out, and even though they were all good at traffic lights and such there were a few times where if one of them hadn't been on the reins it would have been dangerous. 

There were a couple of things that I refused to follow parents' wishes on when I looked after their kids (I did time outs instead of smacking, for example, and what kind of babysitter would I have been if there hadn't been the occasional "okay you can stay up half an hour longer and we'll do painting!" moment) but I always followed the safety rules because no matter how stupid I felt holding the reins when we were out in public, even back then I grudgingly admitted that I'd rather feel silly for being attached to toddlers than to be responsible for it when they ran out into the street and I was too busy with the others to notice. 

When (or if, I should say) I have kids I don't know whether I'll use reins or not, but I won't be smacking my kids into submission and if they either can't or won't (for whatever reason) understand that they have to walk with an adult nicely and not run off then I think it's a really great option and it was super arrogant of me to assume, when I was younger, that every parent who used them was doing it to be lazy or restrictive for no good reason. Oh well, you live and learn.

14 hours ago, Lurky said:

I said it in the JD thread too, but Jeremy is no better than the Duggars, in that his job is through his father's church, so he's living off his dad just as the Duggars who work for Jim Bob's businesses are.  I don't count getting paid by dad as a "paying job" unless it's in some kind of legit business (so maybe Jeremy is even less self-supporting than the Duggars who work flipping houses are?)

As was mentioned in the other thread, Jeremy doesn’t work for his father’s church.

On Jessa's comment re her parents always spending time with each other and the family...ah, the gift of time, so so special when no one has a 9-5 job. They made it work by forgoing BC and have a kid a year for 20 years. Then, they put their kids to work to support it all.  Jessa, the last thing your parents are is selfless and giving. GD cults. I hate them.

16 hours ago, Lurky said:

I said it in the JD thread too, but Jeremy is no better than the Duggars, in that his job is through his father's church, so he's living off his dad just as the Duggars who work for Jim Bob's businesses are.  I don't count getting paid by dad as a "paying job" unless it's in some kind of legit business (so maybe Jeremy is even less self-supporting than the Duggars who work flipping houses are?)

I'm not taking a shot at you specifically on this, but I don't understand this logic at all.  Jim Bob may own several businesses, or buy houses that the kids work on and then flip, but if they are supplying the manpower, then they should get paid for what they do (as should Jeremy if he did work at his father's church - which he doesn't)  I don't see how hiring your children is any different than hiring a non family member.  

3 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I'm not taking a shot at you specifically on this, but I don't understand this logic at all.  Jim Bob may own several businesses, or buy houses that the kids work on and then flip, but if they are supplying the manpower, then they should get paid for what they do (as should Jeremy if he did work at his father's church - which he doesn't)  I don't see how hiring your children is any different than hiring a non family member.  

For me, it depends on if JB is actually paying them. Are there clear cut contracts that say they will make this and this? Most businesses are above board and you can see what they are doing by following their taxes, I don't know about JB. He just seems slimy. 

The idea is that you work to help your family because it’s your family without thought of monetary reward. They will in turn provide for you food, shelter and be there for you the same. 

Not usually how it works in reality but it’s a fine idea.

20 hours ago, Galbin said:

I always felt sproud and happy that my parents were so in love. My Dad died young, but even as a kid I loved how in love they were. It also meant that I went into marriage expecting real true love. I know so many who settle because they never saw real love in action.

That's a good point. Though I don't think parents have to be physically affectionate around their kids to prove to them they're in love. I realized how much my dad loved my mom when he told me The Sweetbread Story when I was 13.

Before I was born, my parents were in a French restaurant, and my mom saw sweet bread on the menu. She ordered it convinced it was, well, sweet bread. So she was pretty damn stunned to find out that "sweet bread" was actually a sheep's brain. She then starting crying, which speaks volumes because I can count with my fingers how many times I've seen my mom cry. 

What my dad did? He switched meals with my mom. He ate the sheep's brain for her, without a single complaint. 

As for what it tasted like, my dad blocked it out of his memory so well, he doesn't remember. As you probably already guessed, my parents never went to that restaurant again. 

And if that's not true love for you, you can get right out of town.

@agentshade

That is a great story.

It reminds me a bit of when I was first married.  We moved across the country and into a cheap apartment that we were so proud of.  The first night we stayed there, we had no furniture yet--just sleeping bags and blankets on the floor.  We soon realized that the apartment was infested with roaches and fleas.  I was so upset and grossed out.  We were too poor to leave and get a hotel room.  My husband said he'd stay up all night and make sure no bugs got on me while I slept.  As it turned out, we ended up divorced some years later, but I always counted that moment, and the way he said it, as feeling the most loved I'd ever felt.

I am deleting some of or a lot of J & B stuff 

Who is proud of me? Bueller 

SP :D mostly links about weddings 

Why do I keep such stuff....says the woman who has emails going back 10 years about the IWTB premiere 

carry on....we were discussing what - lotions that Jessa uses??? 

Not trying to one up the sweetbreads story, but my dad literally ate shit for my mom.

About a year ago, while I was visiting my parents, my mom was going through the kitchen towel drawer when she discovered what appeared to be mouse droppings. My mom is TERRIFIED of rodents so she was pretty upset. She has also told all of us in the family that she would like to be lied to and told that there was no rodent if any of us happen to see a rodent. So my dad goes over, looks at the mouse droppings and says "oh no, those are caraway seeds, some must have fallen into the drawer while I was cooking last night" (fortunately, he had actually been using caraway seeds). My mom is not buying it yet so she says "yeah nice try, I know you're just lying to make me feel better, if it were really a caraway seed you would eat it." My dad--without any hesitation and knowing full well that he did not drop any caraway seeds into the drawer last night--picks up a mouse poo, puts it in his mouth, chews, swallows, DOES NOT BREAK, looks my mom straight in the eye and says "it's a caraway seed." 

3 hours ago, nst said:

and who is surprised that Jessa is in the photos with Jinger and Michelle in the new us magazine. ?

I'm surprised Jill isn't. looks like Jinger was able to keep crazy Jill away :laughing-rofl:

1 minute ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I'm surprised Jill isn't. looks like Jinger was able to keep crazy Jill away :laughing-rofl:

Nah. I bet Jeremy put his foot down!

I'm glad Jill isn't. Keep that lunatic away from pregnant women.

I think Jessa is pregnant though. (For real this time) :pb_lol: 

I’ve been internally speculating that Jessa is pregnant for the past few weeks. I hate making predictions based on how someone looks, but between that picture Sierra posted at Tacos4Life and the picture with Felicity... I think I’m going to hop on the speculation bus. It’s time.

But I tend to be wrong, so maybe if I think Jessa is pregnant, she actually won’t be pregnant? Fingers crossed that that’s how this works, lol.

25 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Nah. I bet Jeremy put his foot down!

A lot of assumptions are being made here. Who said that Jill wanted to go? :P She's so busy with her two young children and her manchild husband. 

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

A lot of assumptions are being made here. Who said that Jill wanted to go? :P She's so busy with her two young children and her manchild husband. 

Lol. Actually, Jinger said it herself, a while back. :) 

9 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

“I want my mom definitely at the birth of our child and so I’ve invited her and Jana as well and Jill, she wants to make it. 

this  is a quote Jinger gave US Mag in March

here is the picture of Jessa at Jinger's let your speculation begin. I'm still on the not train but who knows. 

jeremy-jinger-duggar-baby-2.jpg

I don't get what people are seeing in that photo to make them think Jessa's pregnant, can someone explain?

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived