IGNORED

John Shrader 16: Flying Away in That No-Engine Plane

Jellybean

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the compliments, all. But I shouldn't post when I am tired -- I just realized I left in a line I meant to change, and messed up a rhyme (Heavens to Betsy! Not a messed-up rhyme!).

The first line in the verse about Esther should read:

A tom cat with no place to prowl, his wife has no way out.

May the ghost of Allen Sherman and the fans of Randy Rainbow forgive me.

Genius @thoughtful, perhaps you may a young single women with a gift for music who may help at the church? Unpaid of course. 

So what WAS the deal with John and his job at his daddy’s church? What was his role and why did it fail? You’d think his daddy could have kept him away from the congregation. Maybe Johns ego wasn’t being stroked enough? 

4 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

So what WAS the deal with John and his job at his daddy’s church? What was his role and why did it fail?

He was the assistant pastor. No one is really sure what happened, but he didn't make it long there until he was "called" to go pastor his own church. He also didn't make it long pastoring his own church before God "called" him to go on deputation so he could be a missionary. 

On 10/20/2018 at 2:02 PM, Howl said:

I'm amazed that John continues to have an operational member, considering how often he steps on his own dick.

I just laughed out so loudly I scared my cat.

Maybe Jill Rod could grift herself a better airplane than the one Prince John has.  

7 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Maybe Jill Rod could grift herself a better airplane than the one Prince John has.   

Oh don't worry - if Timothy passes his missionary pilot college course, we will definitely be seeing a Jill Rid plane griftathon!

On 10/21/2018 at 12:25 AM, thoughtful said:

I cannot express how disappointed I am that this does not fit the rhythm of Sweet Transvestite, Sympathy for the Devil, Supercalifragilisticexpialadocious, The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo or The Biggest Aspidistra in the World. 

I will keep searching for a song, though.

ETA  - none of the Gilbert and Sullivan patter songs seem to work either. I may just settle for "The Biggest Baptist Asshole in the World," to the tune of The Biggest Aspidistra in the World, though.

Supercali... works pretty close, if you switch the first word to "Histrionic" like I did on accident ;)

But your work is brilliant!

On 10/22/2018 at 1:06 AM, Ozlsn said:

Not again, surely..?

Her average spacing is 18 months (shortest 14 months and longest 20 months) and Caleb is 9 months old. So she's about due for another pregnancy.

Do they announce as soon as pee stick is dried aka Courtney #10kidsunder10 fame? 

I would think not as john doesn’t want 9 months of people asking about the health of anyone other than him.  

Oh man, I hope Rodrick isn't getting roped back into John's scam. 

The Lord really helped, and blessed the teaching and preaching, and also Roderick even came for the main service! Please keep praying for him!

John is now

Historic Biblical Baptist Missionary, "Kapolo" John Shrader

34 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Oh man, I hope Rodrick isn't getting roped back into John's scam. 

John is now

Hopefully Rodrick was only there to spy on John.  

Holy crap. I found this article, (in French) that seems to indicate that he was shot by the army.

ETA- Also a heads up—there is a picture of him lying on the side of the road at the bottom of the article. His face is covered but you can still make out what is going on.

John is only talking about how he and Esther started giving people marriage counseling right after they got married. 

I just googled "Is Cameroon a stable country" and tons of links popped up, but I couldn't get a good sense of the current political situation.  Cameroon has two official languages (French and English) and most of the population is quite literate. Cameroon also seems to have a very long history of corruption in the leading political party. 

I hope the wife and kids are already back home with his body. This is simply beyond horrible. 

I doubt they’re back. This just happened a few hours ago. 

ETA: It seems like there are protests currently going on over the election. I don’t know much beyond generalities when it comes to West and Central Africa but if you Google Cameroon the news articles that pop up are all about recent protests. 

Paraphrasing the major points from @subsaharanafrica's link, and following another link from there:

Spoiler

Charles Wesco was shot this morning in Bambui, which the article describes as a "war-torn town" in the northwest of Cameroon.  Eyewitnesses at the scene said he was shot by soldiers.  He was with his family at the time, and the article says they "might" have been seriously traumatized (you don't say?).

He was given first aid at a medical centre before being transferred to a regional hospital in Bamenda, where he died.

The Wesco family only arrived in Cameroon on October 18.

Another foreign missionary, Isaac Attoh from Ghana, was killed in Batibo on July 14.  At the time, the American ambassador accused the government of Cameroon of targeted killings.  American authorities haven't yet commented on Charles Wesco's death.

Man, his poor family.

Surely, SURELY, his sending team was aware of the instability in this area?  I guess they are aware now.  This is simply beyond horrible. 

That is terrible. I hope the children especially are able to get the help they need to recover from that sort of trauma.  David Rea hasn't seemed to have mentioned it either. 

John wrote about giving out marriage advice as soon as he was married. 

We started our married life with some unusual responsibilities. I had just been ordained and called as the Associate pastor of our now sending church, Tri-County Baptist church, in 2001.

I bet John didn't have too many other options. 

We were tasked by my new boss, our pastor and also my father, Pastor Rick Shrader, to take the "lion's share" of the marital counseling. You can imagine the awkwardness of dealing with the two greatest issues that cause strife between husbands and wives, money and the physical relationship, as newlyweds, seeking to be a help and blessing to those not only our age, also newly married, but even counseling those old enough to be our grandparents!!

This was a super stupid decision by his father but  I wonder if marriage counseling was the spot he thought John would cause the least amount of problems. John tends to exaggerate his past so I bet he wasn't seeing too many couples. 

I remember saying to them many times, "I'm not coming to you based on our experience, as we are not very qualified in that department, but I can counsel you, even as a brand new pastor and a new husband, based on what the Bible says!"

Yes, one always wants their counselor to admit they aren't really qualified for the job. 

It's difficult as a pastor/marriage counselor, because you can love, advise, warn, pray for, and care for marriages and families, but you ultimately have no choice for anyone else but yourself. Thus, we have watched, heartbroken, time after time, as the Precepts and Principles of God's Word have been disregarded, disobeyed, and resulted in death, as Proverbs 14:12 and 16:25 promise.

Is it any surprise that John's advice didn't save marriages?

I was mocked in Bible college by both my peers, as well as older men, even some in the ministry, for believing God would bring me a godly wife, those heart would be for her God-ordained role in our home, as the wife and mother to however many children God would bless us with, and to serve alongside me, as a team, seeking God's Glory alone. Praise the Living God, He did! I am so very, very blessed!

I bet he was mocked for being an insufferable twit. 

Over the past year, as we have come through our second time of deep trials and discouragement, with almost no encouragement here, and little from home other them close family, 

Translation, Daddy Shrader had a hard time drumming up support for John's missionary adventures last year. 

To those who actually, specifically, regularly and fervently pray for us..."stayed tuned," God may be beginning to do something I've only read about from history, or heard about rarely.

Back to some grand plans that will almost certainly not last long term. 

3 minutes ago, Howl said:

Surely, SURELY, his sending team was aware of the instability in this area?  I guess they are aware now.  This is simply beyond horrible. 

From their website it doesn't look like there was any sort of a sending team. Basically he felt "called" and raised money to go. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived