IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 9: Garrett David Has Arrived

Jellybean

I was 4 days early (doctor saw that I was footling breech during a check-up, immediately scheduled a C-section for a few days later), my sister was actually scheduled far in advance. The doctor asked my mom if she wanted to go VBAC, to which my mom said "HAHAHAHAHAHA nope. How's [my sister's birthday, which was the due date] sound for a C-section?" Good thing she went for a C-section too, because my sister had a heart murmur and the cord around her neck. 

I was born well within the confines of marriage, but I did count back and find out that my (Jewish) parents must have been very bored on Christmas. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Karma said:

My mum was really offended when I suggested her parents might have jumped the gun - she was born 8 months and one week after they married. Sorry mum. 

That would be about 37-38 weeks gestation, so it's still possible that she was a honeymoon baby.

My father was born 5 months after his parents got married, so nobody even pretends. His parents are still teased about their surprisingly short pregnancy, though. 

My Dad was born seven months after my Grandparents married. I figured this out when I was in upper elementary or middle school, and I thought my grandparents jumped the gun. Only when I was an adult did I hear the real story from my great aunt.  My great grandpa died when grandma was a teen, and after graduation, my grandma was expected to help out significantly on the farm. She met grandpa at a Farm Bureau dance, and there was attraction right away. Great Grandma wouldn't let grandma marry, as she needed her help on the farm, so my grandparents did the only thing they could in order to be together- get pregnant so they'd have to marry. I know they loved each other dearly to the end, until grandma passed.

My brother was born six weeks after my parents got married. Pretty sure they didn't try to pass him off as a premie. ;)

My grandparents were married in July.My father was actually due in April,exactly 9 months after they got married..they eloped.

He came 2 weeks early in March...my great grandmother..told my grandmother...her son "saved" her reputation.

20 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My dad was born nine months, almost to the day after his parents married, Gran swears he was a honeymoon baby. 

What am I missing here?  Why would your Gran need to swear that her child was a honeymoon baby if he was born almost 9 months to the day that she got married?

5 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

My Dad was born seven months after my Grandparents married. I figured this out when I was in upper elementary or middle school, and I thought my grandparents jumped the gun. Only when I was an adult did I hear the real story from my great aunt.  My great grandpa died when grandma was a teen, and after graduation, my grandma was expected to help out significantly on the farm. She met grandpa at a Farm Bureau dance, and there was attraction right away. Great Grandma wouldn't let grandma marry, as she needed her help on the farm, so my grandparents did the only thing they could in order to be together- get pregnant so they'd have to marry. I know they loved each other dearly to the end, until grandma passed.

My husbands grandparents wanted to get married but her parents wouldn't let them as she was only 16 and was needed at home to care for the younger siblings, they told them she was pregnant so they got married.  Her mom & dad were pissed when they found out she wasn't. Their oldest was born 13 months after they were married.  

My MIL was 16 when she got pregnant and her brothers went looking for my FIL (they're Mennonites). They finally found him - and brought him back, forcing him to marry her. (She'd already had the baby by that time and I think she was almost a year old?)

I don't think anyone figured that out till my in-laws 50th...

(They went on to have 10 kids - but I don't think it was a happy marriage in general. And I do wonder what would have happened if she hadn't been forced to marry him - but she was just a kid too)

My brother was 2 at my parents wedding. 

It was truly shocking when nobody believe them when they said they had waited for marriage :pb_lol:

My nephew was born when my sister was married 7.5 months. At 5lbs. 12 oz. she could have passed him off as 6 weeks early but in this day and age there's no need to.  OTOH my sister was born a week before my parents 9 month anniversary and my mom was mortified that people would think she got pregnant before the wedding. My sister was 2 weeks early.

My sister was born 3 days short of 13 months after my parents wedding.
And before her - there was a miscarriage.

My parents are Catholic - and like UBER Catholic - almost to the point of fundie - but I did try to figure the math on that one.... Could the baby they miscarried have been a pre-wedding conception? (given my parents obsession with "sex is baaaad"...?) hmmm

If she was 13 months after marriage, that leaves 4 months where your mom wasn't pregnant with her. You could def conceive and have a miscarriage within that time. Most miscarriages occur before 12 weeks, which is actually *less* than three full calendar months.

I was before 4 years, 6 months, and 13 days before my parents got married. I was their flower girl. They were carrying on the tradition from my paternal grandparents who married 2 months and 13 days before my aunt made her appearance in the world. They married on August 4th, 1945 and my aunt was born October 17th, 1945. 

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

If she was 13 months after marriage, that leaves 4 months where your mom wasn't pregnant with her. You could def conceive and have a miscarriage within that time. Most miscarriages occur before 12 weeks, which is actually *less* than three full calendar months.

Yep. I miscarried just under 3 months after our wedding when I was almost 6 weeks along. I then gave birth to a healthy daughter two days shy of 13 months of marriage. She was a 34 week preemie, but you’re right that it’s still absolutely possible for the timeline to work.

I showed up 5 days before my parents' first anniversary, roughly 25 days early. 

#1 daughter and #1 son were born "out of wedlock" and I married my X about 3 weeks after #2 son was born. 

That was the end of kids for me. 

My mum was a four-months-baby. My grandparents grew up catholic and married in the late fifties. Because of their history, my grandparents are very relaxed about those things like being pregnant and not married, or living together without being married and so on... .They had a rough way to their marriage, because both sets of my great-grandparents were against it. So my grandparents used some creativity  to change the minds of their parents :stork-girl:

7 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

They had a rough way to their marriage, because both sets of my great-grandparents were against it. So my grandparents used some creativity  to change the minds of their parents :stork-girl:

This.

With every story of a less than nine month baby, there is a story. Were the families opposed to the marriage? Was the adult offspring needed at home? Does the baby belong to both parents, or is the guy the kind of guy that doesn't want a close friend to go through an unplanned pregnancy along so he steps up and marry her?

I'm always curious about the rest of the story (that frequently isn't told).

I got married last June. Had my baby about 2 weeks ago. I have gotten so many comments ranging from “wow you were pregnant at your wedding?!” to “how cute it’s a honeymoon baby!”  Some people just can’t do math :pb_lol:

My cousin was born 6 months after my aunt and uncle’s wedding. He was over 10lbs. No pretending he was a premie!

I read that in the mid 1800s at least 1/3 of all brides were pregnant at their wedding. Of course there could have been more than that. It always amazes me how people idolize the “olden days” as so chaste and good. Lots of people were having premarital sex back then. 

My sister was born 6 and a half months after my parents were married. She was 5lbs and was early, but not that early. My cousin’s parents married about the same time and he arrived five months later as 9.5lb. Our family has always joked that pregnancies in the early 60’s were much shorter.

54 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I read that in the mid 1800s at least 1/3 of all brides were pregnant at their wedding. Of course there could have been more than that. It always amazes me how people idolize the “olden days” as so chaste and good. Lots of people were having premarital sex back then. 

When William Shakespeare got married (to a woman named Anne Hathaway!) Anne was already 4-5 months pregnant. 

This stuff was happening back in the 1500s

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

When William Shakespeare got married (to a woman named Anne Hathaway!) Anne was already 4-5 months pregnant. 

This stuff was happening back in the 1500s

Marriage was also done differently, aside from the property exchange when handing a woman over to her new owner, priests were few and it could take months before one showed up in your village.  Many people did a hand fasting or just said "we're married" moved into together had kids and when the Priest showed up they were married in the church.   

Much like women have been having abortions since they've been getting pregnant, women have been getting pregnant before they were married. 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I love any excuse to bring up one of my favorite books, A Midwife's Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812 by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. Based on the deliveries in Martha's diary, about 40% of first pregnancies were conceived out of wedlock but most people got married before the baby was born.

Yes. They could not afford to prudish. I love that book as well. When you had so few bodies and so much work  every child was a potential source of labour and they usually wanted girls as well as boys to help their mothers. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived