IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 9: Garrett David Has Arrived

Jellybean

20 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Ugh no, she's due two days before my c-section is set to occur. I already feel like time is crawling, no JoKen baby watch yet please! :pb_lol:

I’m having my c-section on the 19th as well!! Good vibes coming your way! I keep rubbing my belly and saying “not long, whoever you are.” My kids think I’m weird. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I hope for Kendra she will give birth at a hospital. 

Can anyone enlighten me? When Americans have a middle name that is surname sounding, is that usually the mother's maiden name? I don't know, example Walter Hartwell White from Breaking Bad, or George Walker Bush. Could we see a _______ Caldwell Duggar, or it that practice mainly for people in a less patriarchal family? Is it a class thing? Feminist thing? Is it only males who are given a surname-sounding middle name, or does it happen with females too?

Sometimes it can be the mother's maiden name.Sometimes,it's another family name or sur name.I have a sur name for a middle name,actually my great grandmother's maiden name.I've always hated it.It sounds like a man's name.I dropped that sucker when I got married.

6 hours ago, ItsaJjungle said:

I’m having my c-section on the 19th as well!! Good vibes coming your way! I keep rubbing my belly and saying “not long, whoever you are.” My kids think I’m weird. 

Same to you! My daughter isn't quite three yet so I don't think she quite gets what's about to hit her.  :pb_lol: Fingers crossed for smooth transitions and healthy deliveries for both of us!

9 hours ago, Jana814 said:

My sister & I have 4 names. First, middle, our mother's maiden name and last. 

My three are the same. My Dad was the only son, who in turn had two daughters. My sister isnt married or had kids yet so there is the potential for her to have kids with her surname. But it wasn’t something I was going to leave to chance for my wee family. My eldest (son) had a fantastic relationship with his great grandfather (before he died) and I know how honoured my grandfather felt when we shared our kids names to them. He always used to say “your name is where you come from, what you stand for and what keeps you connected to your roots”. 

So for me - it was super important to pass my maiden name to my children, so important that when I got married I legally changed my middle name to my maiden name. (With my parents approval - my “birth middle name” wasnt a family name or didnt really have any meanings bar something that “goes” with my first name.)

Naming my kids was very important. My son’s first middle name is my Dads middle name. My middle childs first middle name is her cousins middle name (her dad (my uncle) has always had a very special bond with me, i lived with them for a time when my cousin was a baby, it just felt right honouring him.) Its a swedish name with English spelling (Sofia/Sophia). Our youngests first middle name is our midwifes namswho we had for all three children, she has had an extremely important role in our family and we definitely feel grateful to her for everything she did for us. 

I have two middle names; First Name, Paternal Grandmother's Name, Maternal Grandmother's Name. It's really long! 

I am rooting for Joe and Kendra, in spite of their nasty beliefs. I do think Kendra has been extra steeped in her parents beliefs.  Joe seems sweet and thoughtful towards Kendra. I thought his crying when Kendra walked down the aisle was genuinely sweet. I want Joe to be given a chance to prove himself as father and husband, apart from the shadow of his older brother. 

Here it is not allowed to give a surname as a middle name, unless it is a known first name.

For instance, Lori Alexander's childran would be able to pass on this name but the Duggars would not.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:47 PM, SorenaJ said:

I hope for Kendra she will give birth at a hospital. 

Can anyone enlighten me? When Americans have a middle name that is surname sounding, is that usually the mother's maiden name? I don't know, example Walter Hartwell White from Breaking Bad, or George Walker Bush. Could we see a _______ Caldwell Duggar, or it that practice mainly for people in a less patriarchal family? Is it a class thing? Feminist thing? Is it only males who are given a surname-sounding middle name, or does it happen with females too?

In addition to wanting to carry on the mother's maiden name, people used to name after someone but name the full name: so Bob and Mary Smith would name after their friend John Jones, and their kid would be named John (first name) Jones (middle name) Smith.

I feel like that's fairly outdated though.

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Here it is not allowed to give a surname as a middle name, unless it is a known first name.

For instance, Lori Alexander's childran would be able to pass on this name but the Duggars would not.

Interesting.  Does that mean that people can't create a new first name for their child, or use an "unknown" first name of someone who was born in another country?

8 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Interesting.  Does that mean that people can't create a new first name for their child, or use an "unknown" first name of someone who was born in another country?

In The Netherlands (not sure if @CarrotCake is from here but I love your profile on “location”) we have a “anything goes, except” rule, which is basically two rules:

- no names that are in poor taste or denigrating to the child. This prevents bullying. 

- no last names as first names (or middle for that matter as far as I know) if they aren’t also used as a first name. So bring a family tree :)  

My second daughter has a pretty unique first name (given three times in the last 5 years) which isn’t a problem at all. 

Could be mother's maiden name. Could be another family name. One of my middle names is a family name from the 1700s that everyone just kept using as their kid's middle name. It's also my dad's middle name, my grandfather's, all of my cousins... and a fairly common male name, like Nathan or George. So I always liked having a masculine name after my very feminine first name and middle name. It might have been someone's maiden name a couple centuries ago, but I don't know.

I think using Caldwell as a middle name wouldn't be too untoward or feminist for the Duggars- it's been a tradition since forever, and they seem to like old-fashioned traditions that reflect family values and that kind of thing. Since in the past, you know, men were men, women were women, and everyone just repressed their identities if they were different. And as long as there isn't some scandal like (gasp!) the wife keeping her maiden name after marriage, and everyone knows that her and her children belong (gag) to her husband, everything's fine. 

Question for who is more knowledge about pregnancy, did the first have a higher possibility of going late or is just a rumor?  

15 hours ago, Dandruff said:

As @Chewing Gum says (yes, the Netherlands it is): Yes, you can, as long as it is not too weird or stupid or only known as last names.

A good example is a famous Dutch horsebackrider who wanted to use her husbands  name as a middle name for her child (kids have her last name). The name is one of the most common last names in the Netherlands but apparently somewhere she found it being used a first name very long ago so she got the approval.

1 hour ago, Italiangirl said:

Question for who is more knowledge about pregnancy, did the first have a higher possibility of going late or is just a rumor?  

Not a rumour as far as I know, but my anecdata could be totally wrong. 

My obgyn told me (many many years ago) that he is sometimes tempted to give first time mums a due date correlating to 41 weeks rather than 40 because in his experience it was more common for first babies to arrive at the 41 week mark. 

22 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

...Since in the past, you know, men were men, women were women, and everyone just repressed their identities if they were different...

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but as I've been learning in a history podcast I listen to, that's not as true as the fundies would like to believe. It was the Victorians who largely shaped our view of the past with the Roman era as "good" and the "Dark Ages" as "bad," and also our views on gender and gender roles throughout history. On that latter point on gender, the upper class Victorians who were conducting archeological digs and writing about history were biased and lived in a biased world. So if they found bones which suggested a man's form, but nearby grave goods were "female objects" they would assume the buried person was a woman. There is an example where a Victorian scholar wrote about the Red Lady of Paviland who was, apparently, a female Roman prostitute because there was red on the bones and jewelry present. But based on scientific analysis, the Red Lady of Paviland is actually a Prehistoric British Man. The jury is still out on whether or not he was a prostitute. (credit to British History Podcast episode 143)

And there were Viking shield maidens (warriors) who fought with the men. http://www.ancientpages.com/2017/09/09/mythical-shield-maidens-did-exist-evidence-of-female-viking-warriors-discovered/

So if our fundies read in-depth history, particularly world history, they would be quite scandalized! 

@neurogirl, I was being pretty sarcastic :pb_lol: I've worked in several museums and love studying the history of women and their roles in society, because I am one, and I think that's cool. It's soooo irritating to me that fundies conveniently forget everything about women in society except for the carefully-constructed upper class ideals from the 1850s-1950s. Meanwhile, there are so many different societies and time periods where that just wasn't true.

I've never heard that story about the Red Lady of Paviland, and that's kind of hilarious. Pfft, men don't wear jewelry. You know, except for every single man who could afford it up until the 19th century. :pb_rollseyes:

I love me some shield maidens, and that was a really interesting article, thanks for sharing it!

15 hours ago, adidas said:

Not a rumour as far as I know, but my anecdata could be totally wrong. 

My obgyn told me (many many years ago) that he is sometimes tempted to give first time mums a due date correlating to 41 weeks rather than 40 because in his experience it was more common for first babies to arrive at the 41 week mark. 

Not true based off my family:

- Mom went ten days early with my sister (her first) and two days early with both my brother and me.

- My sister went four days early with her first son and is currently 34 weeks pregnant with her second son (so jury is still out on baby 2.)

- I went almost six weeks early with my daughter. No clue why, but we suspect it has to do with my thyroid because it’s stupid. :pb_lol:

Personally, I’d say it’s just pure chance when you end up delivering. However, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it turned out that there was a genetic factor that made someone more likely to go early or go late. 

My anecdata: I was born over two weeks early, and my younger sister was about a week late. My mum was born on time, I think, maybe a little early, but her younger brother was born 3 weeks late. Yikes.

I was three days late (first child). GryffindorDissapointment (first child) was a week and a day late, and had to be induced. I threatened to move in with my doc until I had her, and he told me to be at the hospital at 7am the next day. lol  

I was 2 weeks early (oldest) and my brother was a week late. 

Mom's first was 2 weeks early. She's not sure about me but I came exactly 20 weeks to the day after she first felt me kick and realized she was pregnant, so likely right on time.  My sister went 2 weeks early with first and 3 weeks early with second.  I had mine 8 days early.  I figure there must be a genetic component. Also we were all small.  My daughter was the largest at 6 lb 5 oz (but 24 lb 5 oz at a year old.) :)

17 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

My doctor said it's pretty common for first-time moms to go late, but obviously that's not a rule.  My niece was born at 35 weeks (three days after my sister was told 'no signs of labor').  Both of mine were the same number of days late (4) and my nephew was 6 days late.  My mother had all four of us of 3-6 weeks early.  It just depends.  

My mom doesn't remember how long she went with my oldest sister but me and my twin brother were almost 42 weeks (forever so sorry we did that to her!).

8 days late with #1, 3 weeks early with #2 and 4 weeks early with #3. #1 claims that if she could have gotten away with it, she'd have refused to be born. She still has that laid back attitude. #2 & #3 were/are impatient to this day. #1 was 7lbs 9oz. #2 was 7lbs even & #3 was 7lbs 4oz. I was certain of my dates with all three of them. #3 was confirmed with an ultrasound at about 9 weeks. He was already a little mexican jumping bean then...by the end I wanted it removed...21 inches long and he liked to stretch out in my short little self (I'm 5'4" or so). I'd stop breathing when those feet hit my lungs. 

My mother had all 3 of us early.  My 1st was 4 weeks early, my water broke, sort of, it was more like a slow leak, I hadn't had any contractions, no signs of labor and when they checked my cervix it was closed and hadn't stated to thin, but  I was being monitored for preeclampsia, so they induced labor, and 24 hours later I had an emergency c/section because even though he was 4 weeks early he was still 8 lbs. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived