IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 9: Garrett David Has Arrived

Jellybean

4 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Same here. I live in NJ. I went to college in Long Island, NY.  I loved going to my friend's shower because I got to see my friends that I had not seen in person for a while. 

Ha ha...I live in NJ too but am not originally from here. Showers are fun. And the cake.......

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weddings, I tend to buy something off the registry.

Baby showers, not so much... My go to gift is an amber teething necklace, they're amazing, and every baby (and mama) needs one, lol. I'll also get a book or two that were favorites of my son when he was little. After that depends on how well I know the person.

If mama is planning on breastfeeding, I'll get her some breastfeeding thing she registered for... it's not fun stuff, and nobody wants to buy milk bags and sanitizing wipes, but its needed stuff.

I cloth diapered, and if someone wants to try it, I will do my best to hook them up as best as I can out of my limited budget.  I bought my little sister most of her stash... it was used,  but still. I got an amazing deal on some one size pockets (like $100 for 30+ or something like that), and she's using them on her second kid :)

For baby (and bridal) showers, I buy one medium gift off of the registry and one medium personalized gift I found on etsy (nothing as elaborate or specialized as a high chair, but maybe a personalized teether in the shape of the state they live in or some dishtowels with quotes from their favorite author on them). For a baby shower, if I know the parents pretty well, I will also sometimes sew the baby a small gift like a bib or burp cloth, if I think they're the sort of couple to enjoy that sort of thing. 

For weddings I get a gift off the registry that is a bit nicer than the bridal shower. I've actually never given money because 1) I really like wrapping gifts and 2) It seems like buying a gift saves you money. It feels like in my circles you really shouldn't write a check for less than a certain amount. However buying the champagne flutes they registered for that is less than that amount isn't seen as stingy at all.

Similar to other posters, I love to give books at baby showers! I always give the same two: Charlotte’s Web and Harry Potter and the (sorry I’m in the US) Sorcerer’s Stone, which are both very meaningful to me. I know these aren’t baby books but I tell them I’m contributing to their child’s advanced reading skills. I usually supplement with diapers and a cute onesie or two specialized towards the couple, like a favorite city or sports team. 

My Bffs son got married this past weekend, and I just got them a gift card from Target, I had already gotten her a shower gift off of her registry, and they are a young couple who were already living together not living together (because sin you know)  but out on their own.  They have most of what they need and who doesn't love free money at Target? 

For baby showers, I'm that woman that comes in with her Costco box of wipes or diapers, depending on what they ask for. There is always one person who is aghast  such a industrial gift (that shit is heavy when bought in bulk)  but the moms are like NICE. 

I always do Size 2 diapers, wipes, Bordeaux Butt Paste or Anti-Monkey Butt, Aveeno baby wash, a 3 pack of onesies and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Packed into a treasure chest I get at the craft store and paint by hand. 

I just realized I have never been to an actual baby shower, though I have bought loads of baby clothes for my nieces. I have been to two bridal showers. One was my own (haha) and the other was my sister's. 

On 4/13/2018 at 1:32 PM, MargaretElliott said:

At my cousin's baby shower, I maintained my sanity by making ridiculous guesses to the shower games. That, and day drinking. So I'd be miserable at a Duggar shower. 

So, a shower game that is both not embarrassing and can help guests with the gift opening tedium is to play gift bingo. Everyone gets a bingo card decorated with the theme of the shower and fills in the empty squares with possible gifts the mother-to-be could receive (socks, books, crib sheets) and crosses them off as she goes. You can have multiple prizes so the game can keep going for a while, depending on how large the shower is.

That game has saved my ADD self at a lot of showers, especially bridal showers where the gifts are much less interesting. 

All that being said, I'd be kind of disappointed if someone didn't open my shower gift in front of me. I put a lot of thought into my gifts and want to see the reveal. 

@nausicaa: I too like it when I get an instant reaction to my present. So I remind myself- it is not about me and it is not about the present. It is about celebrating a new life/family/union/ commitment (whatever it is about). The celebration and the group that celebrates makes it special. The present is just a little way to make the transition easier or show my love and support but it is not a true representation of my feelings or worse how much I love/like them or how close we are compared to others.

It is hard sometimes because I put effort in it and of course it is nice to get a feedback how well I did. But that is me making the gift/ act of gifting about me. The hosts are as happy to have me with or without knowing if the gift is great (and should be happy to have me with or without gift anyway). So I work on myself (I am quite egocentric sometimes) and actually I shouldn’t need the head pats for a gift. - I do expect a thank you somewhen down the road though, personal or written doesn’t matter. I also would want to know if I missed the mark horribly, so I am not buying stuff in that direction for the same person again. 

One game I did like was at my sister’s co-ed baby shower. Her friends collected a bunch of statements she and her husband made about pregnancy and kids, then posed it as questions to the guests - like, “Who said they think it could be a lot of fun to have twins?” You had to hold up a little card with either a mustache or lips to indicate who you thought said it. That was a fairly non-embarrassing game and was pretty entertaining, especially with all the commentary shouted out by people. 

12 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My Bffs son got married this past weekend, and I just got them a gift card from Target, I had already gotten her a shower gift off of her registry, and they are a young couple who were already living together not living together (because sin you know)  but out on their own.  They have most of what they need and who doesn't love free money at Target? 

For baby showers, I'm that woman that comes in with her Costco box of wipes or diapers, depending on what they ask for. There is always one person who is aghast  such a industrial gift (that shit is heavy when bought in bulk)  but the moms are like NICE. 

See, I'm more likely to give them the wipes I really liked, which weren't costco's (never got around to trying those, since you had to buy so many) but the Lansinoh ones are awesome. I tried so many others, because of cost, and came back every time, all the others just sucked.

My favorite baby shower game was at my cousins “The Little Prince” (after the book) themed baby shower. We had a game where there were famous children’s book quotes and you had to match them with the title.

1 hour ago, karen77 said:

See, I'm more likely to give them the wipes I really liked, which weren't costco's (never got around to trying those, since you had to buy so many) but the Lansinoh ones are awesome. I tried so many others, because of cost, and came back every time, all the others just sucked.

My son is 5 and I'm STILL going through the Costco box of wipes. (granted - I haven't had the same box since he was born - but still). 

I find them super helpful and keep them in all the bathrooms. Sometimes five year olds aren't the greatest wipers... 

As for diapers - we got a TON of them - all different brands - but my son only wore pampers because all the others fit him funny or smelled weird or leaked. (I returned a box of Huggies to Costco for that reason - they leaked & smelled like a urinal). 

15 hours ago, nausicaa said:

All that being said, I'd be kind of disappointed if someone didn't open my shower gift in front of me. I put a lot of thought into my gifts and want to see the reveal. 

I totally get this, but I have a very readable face, so if the reaction is a "this-is-a-lovely-gift-but-I'm-straining-to-hide-my-abject-misery-and-just-want-to-hide-in-the-bathroom" kind of face, maybe you don't want to see it :pb_lol:

I write a damn good thank-you note, though. If you know you're gonna disappoint people, you've gotta learn to compensate afterwards.

I've managed to dodge attending baby showers, but I do like to knit something for the baby.  Office babies get a donation and someone else takes care of the gift.  But for my nephew, I gave my brother and SIL a hardwood floor for the baby room....because I'm like that.

9 hours ago, Meggo said:

My son is 5 and I'm STILL going through the Costco box of wipes. (granted - I haven't had the same box since he was born - but still). 

I find them super helpful and keep them in all the bathrooms. Sometimes five year olds aren't the greatest wipers... 

As for diapers - we got a TON of them - all different brands - but my son only wore pampers because all the others fit him funny or smelled weird or leaked. (I returned a box of Huggies to Costco for that reason - they leaked & smelled like a urinal). 

I bought my sister one small pack each of Pampers, Huggies, Luvs, and Up&Up diapers for that very reason...because diapers fit every baby differently.  She liked that because they very quickly found out which brand fit best, and they didn’t have a mountain of diapers they couldn’t use.  I think I will keep doing that for the first-time mom showers I attend. 

Huggies were the only disposable diapers that worked for GryffindorDisappointment.  (I cloth-diapered at home for the first 6 months of her life then food happened so.)

For bridal and baby showers I like to give off the registry and get a book for the baby as well. For weddings I will do a gift card for a restaurant near where they live, but if I know the couple is going out of the country I’ll get cash in the local currency so they can have a dinner from me after they’re married on a date night or on their honeymoon. It makes it a little more personal I think. :smile:

My social circle is not in the getting married or having babies phase right now, so I haven't been to a bridal or baby shower since the one for my own child. :) (We do have 4 graduations this month, though. Three college and one high school.) We ended up with enough baby clothes for our daughter's first year, because people gave us clothes from newborn-sized up to 12 months. (My family gave larger sizes, because my sister's kids were big:pb_lol: )

It's silly, but I also remember that we got 100 newborn-sized diapers. It seemed like so many, but they disappeared so fast! It was really nice to have them on hand and not have to go buy any at first. I don't remember if I ever gave diapers as a gift before, but I always will from now on. In general, I was just glad to see all our friends and family who came to the shower, and thankful for all the gifts. People can be so nice. :my_heart:

I am a very practical minimalist-type person so my very favorite gift at my baby shower last year was a bag my best friend put together with items like nail clippers, baby wash, some clothes and the best thing of all...baby clothes hangers! The $1 ones from Walmart. I needed SO many hangers for all the baby clothes and it is the most practical and thoughtful gift I've ever received. It still makes me smile. 

5 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I am a very practical minimalist-type person so my very favorite gift at my baby shower last year was a bag my best friend put together with items like nail clippers, baby wash, some clothes and the best thing of all...baby clothes hangers! The $1 ones from Walmart. I needed SO many hangers for all the baby clothes and it is the most practical and thoughtful gift I've ever received. It still makes me smile. 

See, and for me, baby clothes hangers, never used them! All my babies (and my kids currently) clothes are in dressers, folding was just that much faster. To each their own!

I think we were talking baby shower games a while back? Years ago I went to one and there were wooden kid size coat hangers. We all decorated one with stickers, drawings and little messages. I thought that was a pretty nice activity. 

I keep forgetting about these two. They're so quiet. I really thought Kendra would've jumped on Instagram by now. 

56 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I keep forgetting about these two. They're so quiet. I really thought Kendra would've jumped on Instagram by now. 

The vibe I got from Joe and Kendra was that they'd be perfectly happy to just have each other and their (gigantic) circle of family, friends, and acquaintances and live the simple, country life they seem to enjoy and to which they appear so incredibly well-suited.

Fingers crossed Joe doesn't start developing any preacher ambitions any time soon....

Speaking of preacher ambitions - unlike the Duggar son-in-laws, none of the Duggar sons have so far shown any interest in that career yet, have they? I don't count Josh because his aspirations were more of a political nature.

11 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

The vibe I got from Joe and Kendra was that they'd be perfectly happy to just have each other and their (gigantic) circle of family, friends, and acquaintances and live the simple, country life they seem to enjoy and to which they appear so incredibly well-suited.

Agreed. Joe and Kendra are honestly probably the couple I worry least about. While I would love for them to leave fundamentalism, they seem happy and content and will probably remain so, barring some kind of catastrophe. Joe is a simple guy and Kendra is a simple gal. They both seem like easy going, cheerful people. They both seem to want exactly the same things and have exactly the same expectations. Joe seems like the type of guy who's comfortable expressing emotion and showing affection, and Kendra seems like one of those women who was born into fundamentalism and was lucky enough to actually thrive in the helpmeet/SAHM role - much like Anna, but unfortunately Anna was dealt a much shittier hand in the husband department.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived