IGNORED

Dillards 55: Selling the High Life

Jellybean

2 hours ago, cara said:

Derrick keeps retweeting support for a group of middle age men who are going into schools to hand out 'In God We Trust' posters. Why does he care? His family doesn't believe in public school and his kids will never go there. He was always very critical of anthem protests, well this seems pretty civil disobedience-y to me. 

Seems like your question would be a good one to post to him on his twitter page, complete with the assumption his kids won't be going to public schools. I wonder he'd answer or ignore? Lol

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Why are they in Colorado for so long? Are they trying to convert Mormons now?

I would actually love to see that. Mormon missionaries actually seem to do a good amount of training before going out into the "field." dWRECK would not hold his own again one. 

1 minute ago, JMO said:

I thought running made him vomit?  That pasta won't be so good the 2nd time around. 

think they figured out that he was having exercise-related allergic reactions. If that's the case, so long as he avoids the problem foods before he runs, he should be fine.

9 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

It makes me sad how they are using their children, especially sweet little Israel, to blatantly advertise things.

I know, holding a boring book and force-smiling for the camera is probably not the worst part of Izzy's childhood, but it just seems representative of how the Dillards see their kids. Tools for an end - populate the world for Jesus, convert heathens and liberals, enforce oppressive hateful beliefs that cause harm and pain, grift money - but not little people whom they should love and cherish and guide through the world with wonder, excitement and joy.

In Duggarville, all kids are to be exploited...So since ID is off the show, there need to be others to achieve that goal.

I know running a marathon is hard as fuck and Derrick's behavior in that video is normal, but I think it's so weird to share that interaction in social media. It just came off so awkward to me. Jill is so clueless about her posting.

4 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I know running a marathon is hard as fuck and Derrick's behavior in that video is normal, but I think it's so weird to share that interaction in social media. It just came off so awkward to me. Jill is so clueless about her posting.

I cringed a little when he threw his shirt at her and when  she said love you and he just kept running. 

2 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I love Izzy in that video, though.

Jill: Yayyyy, Papa!

Izzy: Where?

Jill: Yayyyy, we got to see Papa! YAY Papa!!! Yayyyy!

Izzy: Well where is he, woman?!

It really bothered me that Jill went onto the race course!! If I was running behind Derick, I'd be so pissed to have this obstacle of Jilly Muffin in the way when I'm in a zone. 

10 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

It makes me sad how they are using their children, especially sweet little Israel, to blatantly advertise things.

I know, holding a boring book and force-smiling for the camera is probably not the worst part of Izzy's childhood, but it just seems representative of how the Dillards see their kids. Tools for an end - populate the world for Jesus, convert heathens and liberals, enforce oppressive hateful beliefs that cause harm and pain, grift money - but not little people whom they should love and cherish and guide through the world with wonder, excitement and joy.

How is that any different from what Jessa is doing? Or her parents? Or any of the Bateses who have kids? Every Bates or Duggar with kids who appear on the family shows are all using their children to advertise something, namely IBLP, via reality television and social media. It may not be as blatant or obvious as the Dills shilling for creepy books, but they’re all still using their innocent kids to sell a product.

(That sounds really argumentative and that wasn’t my intent, but I’m having trouble rewording it. I actually agree with you though and I do find it pretty weird and problematic that the Dills keep doing this. At least make it look more natural - like using a sweet photo of Jill or Derick reading the book to a happy looking Izzy would have been great for this particular post.)

41 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

It really bothered me that Jill went onto the race course!! If I was running behind Derick, I'd be so pissed to have this obstacle of Jilly Muffin in the way when I'm in a zone. 

Jill frustrates me. I look at her posts and I want to like it or cheer for her or whatever because they’re usually not completely terrible posts, but then she or Derick goes and mucks it up every single time somehow. This video is a perfect example - it was a fairly normal interaction between a couple given the event and I want to like that she was clearly excited for him and proud of him for racing - but then she mucked it up and went onto the course! Just... I can’t even... :pb_lol:

49 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

I couldn’t agree more!  I almost yelled, “Get off the race course!” At my phone. Like seriously Jill, GTFO of everyone’s way!

51 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

I would have been incredibly pissed as well. STAY TO THE SIDE IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING. Not only is it ridiculously fucking rude, but it's dangerous. For you and for the runners. It's not like a car or a train, but if I'm going at a decent speed, it can be hard (and/or painful) to stop on a dime to accommodate for a clueless woman wandering onto a marathon course. 

This also goes for tourists walking slowly in areas where a lot of runners are active: I will do my absolute damnedest to give you plenty of clearance and stay towards the side so you can have the right of way, but PLEASE let me pass if you can and don't stop suddenly if I'm behind you. 

1 minute ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Not only is it ridiculously fucking rude, but it's dangerous. For you and for the runners. It's not like a car or a train, but if I'm going at a decent speed, it can be hard (and/or painful) to stop on a dime to accommodate for a clueless woman wandering onto a marathon course. 

And she’s not just clueless....she’s also distracted!  Videoing on her cell phone, and likely not paying attention. 

Just now, curlykate said:

And she’s not just clueless....she’s also distracted!  Videoing on her cell phone, and likely not paying attention. 

I were running that marathon and saw her doing that, she'd have to delete that video or find a way to edit out me yelling "GET THE FUCK OFF THE COURSE!"

Jill, those traffic cones weren't there as decorations for the gender reveal party for Trump's latest love child. They are there to keep you away from runners. GET THE FUCK OFF THE COURSE.

I feel like a bad social justice-oriented person for being as incensed about Jill doing this as I am about her giving her kids weird anti-Semitic books to read and being useless and condescending to Central American women.

I guess you could say that in every sense of the word, Jill does not understand the etiquette and issues surrounding race. 

I noticed that damn hashtag #firstmarathoninnorthamerica.   That is not true. IIRC, the first marathon in the US was in Yonkers.  I know it was some smaller city up the Hudson from New York City.  That marathon is a few years older than Boston.

I run quite a bit (not as much as I used to) and always hoped that no one would do something thoughtless like that and cause me to stop.  I was always afraid I wouldn't get restarted!  It looks like the entry fee was about $80, so the grifting/promoting must be going well...

17 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I noticed that damn hashtag #firstmarathoninnorthamerica.   That is not true. IIRC, the first marathon in the US was in Yonkers.  I know it was some smaller city up the Hudson from New York City.  That marathon is a few years older than Boston.

I took it as HIS first in North America. I feel like he mentioned running one in Nepal maybe?

I do 5ks with my sorority's philanthropy partner and we have running marshals that usually yell if something like that were to happen (technically I run with young girls so I wonder if that's it, but still surprised no one yelled at her). Also I low key puked in my coffee seeing the matching shirts. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

How is that any different from what Jessa is doing? Or her parents? Or any of the Bateses who have kids? Every Bates or Duggar with kids who appear on the family shows are all using their children to advertise something, namely IBLP, via reality television and social media. It may not be as blatant or obvious as the Dills shilling for creepy books, but they’re all still using their innocent kids to sell a product.

I don't really follow the Bateses, so I can't comment on that. And I know that all of them - Bateses, Duggars, and assorted in-laws - are in the end parading their children in front of various cameras for fame and money.

However, in Jessa's case it's rather subtle. She will share videos and pictures of her sons the way many mothers do on social media. She may have advertised a product once or twice with them (you'll remember better than I do ;) ), but it generally comes across as warm and loving, just some other mum showing the world how cute her babies are and what adorable things they do.

The Dillards' posts, on the other hand, are so obviously and aggressively sponsored/aimed at grifting: "Here's Israel with a book, he's smiling which means it's good, buy said book"

Perhaps the Dillards are simply being more honest and straightforward, etc., but  something irks me. The fact that the interactions they show with their children seem so often so very off, out of tune with the boys, probably. I guess in the end the Seewalds seem to genuinely care about their children and "accidentally" profit from them whereas the Dillards come across as slightly uncaring about their sons' actual needs, yet trying to use them for monetary gain.

Disclaimer: I use "seem" and "come across" as the Dillards might actually be the kindest, most caring parents in the world, but if this is the case, they are terrible at communicating it.

Derick finished his race. well I guess that's something he can accomplish. 

5 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

I don't really follow the Bateses, so I can't comment on that. And I know that all of them - Bateses, Duggars, and assorted in-laws - are in the end parading their children in front of various cameras for fame and money.

However, in Jessa's case it's rather subtle. She will share videos and pictures of her sons the way many mothers do on social media. She may have advertised a product once or twice with them (you'll remember better than I do ;) ), but it generally comes across as warm and loving, just some other mum showing the world how cute her babies are and what adorable things they do.

The Dillards' posts, on the other hand, are so obviously and aggressively sponsored/aimed at grifting: "Here's Israel with a book, he's smiling which means it's good, buy said book"

Perhaps the Dillards are simply being more honest and straightforward, etc., but  something irks me. The fact that the interactions they show with their children seem so often so very off, out of tune with the boys, probably. I guess in the end the Seewalds seem to genuinely care about their children and "accidentally" profit from them whereas the Dillards come across as slightly uncaring about their sons' actual needs, yet trying to use them for monetary gain.

Disclaimer: I use "seem" and "come across" as the Dillards might actually be the kindest, most caring parents in the world, but if this is the case, they are terrible at communicating it.

I'm trying to think of the episodes from the past season I think the most we saw of Spurgon was the episode they gave him a hair cut and Henry when they discussed his skin issue. well the Seewald kids are on the show they are more in the back ground not like the young Duggar's when 19 kids was on. 

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

did they really have to hashtag carbs. 

i am really bad at hashtags. I endlessly seem to hashtag #art....when i post my paintings on instagram 

quick give me something Dillard to post and you all can find the art :D 

Is it BEC of me to be irritated by Jill going "YAAAAYYYYYY" at her kids constantly? As someone who studied linguistics I understand that Infant/Child-Directed Speech is a definite thing and it would feel pretty unnatural for most people to not speak to a child in a higher-pitched voice with much more exaggerated emphasis/stress/prosody, but aaarrrgh you can talk to your three-year-old like a normal person and not say "YAAAAAYYYYYY" every third word to him. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived