IGNORED

Dillards 55: Selling the High Life

Jellybean

16 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

. . . I think something went very wrong with Derick when the molestation came out. He wasn't at that awkward chat session during last 19 kids and counting where you could cut the tension with a knife and Ben looked like he wanted to punch Josh, and it's all been downhill from there. It may just be coincidental timing, but it stuck out for me.

Wasn't Derick'e oral surgery around the same time the molestations came to light? Maybe more went wrong with his surgery than just a lopsided face. Maybe his brain was starved of oxygen and Pistol Pete was transformed into Derick Dillwad. 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a job requiring people to STFU, at least when other people are around?  I think he should get one of those jobs.

I've worked with and around some fundie assholes, and by asshole I mean they get to know you a bit and then start slipping the Jesus dogma into conversations.  I'd be surprised if Dwreck wasn't doing that.  Between work and general life I've lost count of how many proselytizers have asked me whether I've heard about the gospel of Jesus.  I look at them like they're nuts, point out that I've been on this earth for over half a century - please note the grey hair, and do they really think I just crawled out from under a rock and have never heard of him?  They sputter a bit, I tell them I'm not interested, and then maybe (or not) we engage in a bit of idle chit-chat.  They eventually realize they're wasting their time and move on.

I realize I'm venting.  Thank you for listening (reading).  I woke up late, had to rush to a medical appointment, and am now waiting for JRod to thank Jesus and Plexus for whatever her baby's outcome is after nine months of Magic 8 ball Jesus gave me peace about <insert Jill decision>.

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I can't remember if she did it or if someone on her fb page did. I remember someone doing it though. 

She did it and posted it.

I have wondered why Derick hasn’t tried to tie missionary work with his accounting background. There are a lot of non profits that promote financial literacy for underserved communities. There is a huge fundie focus on being debt free. It would make a lot of sense to work in a way that allows him to use his skills and show good charity. Of course, that is too sensical for Dwreck. Makes more sense to completely abandon it in place of “missonary” work that holds the needy hostage to a sermon before giving them needed food

17 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

...While this is my explanation for this big clusterfuck, this is no excuse for his behaviour. At one point you should be able to see that the universe gave you tough shit to deal with but you have to keep going. He is responsible for his actions. The worst part is that he isn’t alone on this downwards spiral. I really feel for the little boys.

I can't really settle on why I think Derick is the way he is, but I do agree with you entirely that whatever the reason, his behavior is not acceptable.  He may wish to wander the world, trying to convert people to his own beliefs, but that is not practical when you are a married man with two young children and the prospect of more to come.  He can't even really whine that he never got the opportunity to do that - because he did!  

Whatever his problem is, I hope he grows up enough to accept that he is responsible for earning a sufficient income to support his family.  He says he buys into the patriarchy crap, so he should not expect Jill to work outside the home.  That is supposed to be his job, and he's had enough fun time.  Now it's time to get down to business

49 minutes ago, artdecades said:

I have wondered why Derick hasn’t tried to tie missionary work with his accounting background. There are a lot of non profits that promote financial literacy for underserved communities. There is a huge fundie focus on being debt free. It would make a lot of sense to work in a way that allows him to use his skills and show good charity. Of course, that is too sensical for Dwreck. Makes more sense to completely abandon it in place of “missonary” work that holds the needy hostage to a sermon before giving them needed food

I'm just wondering if Derick has ever successfully held a job. During his time at WM he got engaged, married, had a child, took a honeymoon + other trips with the Von Duggars, had a mother critically ill and had a major surgery- All of this in just over a year's time. He purportedly was fired from the CA gig. I'm not certain, but part of Derick's issue might be that he doesn't really want or know how to work hard. He is basically a near 30 YO man, with a needy wife and 2 dependent, tiny children who really does not have a solid work history. In today's job market and with a BS in accounting he should be able to secure a decent job. I just don't think he has the desire. He is entitled. The Duggar's mentality about work has affected (infected) him-

The issue isn’t Derick finding an accounting job with a church or with some missionary outfit. The real issue is that Derick doesn’t seem to want a real 9-5, 5 day a week job. How many married men, with an unemployed wife and two kids, decides to not work and instead go to school through his church in hopes of one day getting a missionary position where he has to pay to be a missionary? I think he just wanted a fake college life. He gets to hang out with college kids on a college campus and take classes through his church and probably he doesn’t have to worry about failing. It’s not like he has to worry about his GPA.  It’s a win win situation for Derick. He has found a new way to avoid being an adult. Let’s get a certificate/fake degree that has no chance of helping a person get a job to financially support their family. 

26 minutes ago, socalrules said:

The issue isn’t Derick finding an accounting job with a church or with some missionary outfit. The real issue is that Derick doesn’t seem to want a real 9-5, 5 day a week job. How many married men, with an unemployed wife and two kids, decides to not work and instead go to school through his church in hopes of one day getting a missionary position where he has to pay to be a missionary? I think he just wanted a fake college life. He gets to hang out with college kids on a college campus and take classes through his church and probably he doesn’t have to worry about failing. It’s not like he has to worry about his GPA.  It’s a win win situation for Derick. He has found a new way to avoid being an adult. Let’s get a certificate/fake degree that has no chance of helping a person get a job to financially support their family. 

For sure.  Derick enjoyed college.  I did too!  Do I wish I could go back to my college lifestyle?  100%!  College is really fun for a lot of people!  

But most of us realize that college isn't the "real world" and that you can't stay in it forever.  I'd love to go back to that college lifestyle, but I'm a real life adult now with bills and responsibilities that require a real adult job to pay for.  So I hold down a real adult job, even when it's not fun, like a real adult does.  And the only major adult commitment I've made is a mortgage.  I'm not even married with kids to support like Mr. Peter Pan over here is!

Derick, you live in Arkansas, not Neverland.  That means you have to grow up.  

5 hours ago, artdecades said:

That would take away from his twitter time.

I was watching a clip the other day of Jill and Derick before she was pregnant with Sam and how they were discussing maybe baby # 2 to me it was so messed up her reason's for a second baby. she was going on about it was time for Israel to have a sibling so he'd learn to share and wouldn't be spoiled. 

here is the clip

5 hours ago, Georgiana said:

For sure.  Derick enjoyed college.  I did too!  Do I wish I could go back to my college lifestyle?  100%!  College is really fun for a lot of people!  

But most of us realize that college isn't the "real world" and that you can't stay in it forever.  I'd love to go back to that college lifestyle, but I'm a real life adult now with bills and responsibilities that require a real adult job to pay for.  So I hold down a real adult job, even when it's not fun, like a real adult does.  And the only major adult commitment I've made is a mortgage.  I'm not even married with kids to support like Mr. Peter Pan over here is!

Same. I miss the carefree times I had in college. I miss Greek life, I miss going to cool classes, I miss doing spontaneous stuff with my friends who were always five minutes away...but that's in the past and now I'm an adult with a job, rent to pay, an apartment to clean, and other responsibilities. And being five years out has put it all into perspective for me: I miss living in a frat house...but I don't miss how filthy it was. I miss being around my friends all the time...I don't miss the drama we all got into because we never had a break from each other. I miss going to classes...I don't miss pulling all-nighters and not being able to say "I'm done!" at 6pm every night. I'm not going back to school unless it's for a certification (with actual worth in the real world) or to go get my PhD (that's probably going to be way out in the future). 

Get a job, Derick. Also, as someone who was in a coed frat that had a constant stream of alums coming back, let me tell you how fucking creepy we female undergrad members found some of the late twenties+ year old (as in, too old to have friends/SOs still in undergrad) male alums who would come back ALL THE TIME (not just, say, for official events or when we were throwing parties that we specifically invited them to). A few who came back a lot were cool (one of them is a very dear friend of mine), but a few gave off a major "I'm here because I want to escape adulthood/hit on 19-year-olds" vibe. If I were 19 years old and a college student at the "look at us trying to be all millennial and cool to conceal our virulent homophobia and misogyny" church thing, I'd probably think Derick was a weird creep, and feel sorry for Jill and her kids being dragged along in Creep's college fantasy. 

Great thing about finishing college and working hard for a while as a professional... you can make a lot of money.  It feels good to see a big fat pay cheque you've earned.  I just bought my bestie and my sister each Kate Spade wristlets because I can. I feels awesome to work hard to buy nice things for yourself and your loved ones.

Derick will never know this feeling.

I loved college, but I wouldn't want to go back there..

I'm about to turn 30 and I'm also about to head back to university. I can tell you that one of the things I'm looking forward to most is being vastly more mature this time around and treating it more like a job than a way of life in which I'm immersed. Nothing wrong with going back to university at an older age, but you have to be smart and reasonable about it. Especially when you're married and have two kids.

Derick always seems to be trying to recapture his life the way it was before he met Jill and became a father, and on top of that he's pouring all this money into what it most likely going to be a useless ministry degree (edit: certificate? I don't even know). He's in no way cut out for ministry, and I can't imagine that even the Bible Belt can support this many full time, salaried ministers. 

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm about to turn 30 and I'm also about to head back to university. I can tell you that one of the things I'm looking forward to most is being vastly more mature this time around and treating it more like a job than a way of life in which I'm immersed. Nothing wrong with going back to university at an older age, but you have to be smart and reasonable about it. Especially when you're married and have two kids.

Derick always seems to be trying to recapture his life the way it was before he met Jill and became a father, and on top of that he's pouring all this money into what it most likely going to be a useless ministry degree (edit: certificate? I don't even know). He's in no way cut out for ministry, and I can't imagine that even the Bible Belt can support this many full time, salaried ministers. 

Now that I'm 30 and I know myself a lot better and I would love to go back and apply a lot of the focus and things I've learned to being a better student.  I've always loved learning things, and being in class but I wasn't the best at 18/19 when it came to out of class assignments and studies.  I just haven't found a goal that will send me back to school that will make it all worth it.

Back to a very previously discussed topic in this thread....I think...

Heinz has a new catsup-mayo product called “Mayochup” which is a blend of the two, just in time for grilling season. They just recently came out with their own mayonnaise. I have always been a Hellmans kind of a girl.

I will have to try it on my burger. I always mix mayo and catsup on a burger. 

This, I guess is free advertising for Mayochup. Ho ho. 

17 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Ah, college... back when I thought I actually mattered to the world and was some kind of "big deal."  Then I grew up, got a job, had a family, and realized that I am not that important except to the people that already love me.  D'wreck still thinks he's a big deal.

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Heinz has a new catsup-mayo product called “Mayochup” which is a blend of the two, just in time for grilling season. They just recently came out with their own mayonnaise. I have always been a Hellmans kind of a girl.

Isnt that Russian Dressing?

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Hmmmm sounds intriguing. I’ll have to give it a try. However, I don’t like a lot of ketchup on my burger, but lots of mayo. I wonder if the ketchup to mayo ratio will be to my liking. 

35 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Ah, college... back when I thought I actually mattered to the world and was some kind of "big deal."  Then I grew up, got a job, had a family, and realized that I am not that important except to the people that already love me.  D'wreck still thinks he's a big deal.

Isnt that Russian Dressing?

Add spices and pickles cut up and its fry sauce! 

50 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I really think he peaked when he was Pistol Pete and he's been chasing that feeling ever since. He cannot let it go. He wants the cheering crowd again. He doesn't seem to realize that the crowd was cheering for a giant bobble head, not him, Derick Dillard, random asshole on Twitter.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Exactly.  Many people go back to school, and that is awesome.  The best students I encountered in undergrad were older students who had stepped away from education and come back with an additional appreciation.  But like you said: you have to be smart and reasonable about it.  You can't use school as a way to ignore your obligations.  You have to find a way to attend school while still fulfilling your responsibilities.  So if you have a family, while you can still return to education, you usually cannot really return to the carefree college lifestyle.  

Ben was in school with a family (and still is I think?), but he's handling it completely differently from Derick.  The Seewalds aren't taking international field-trips or begging for money.  Ben is still working while in school to help support his family.  He's chosen to do a lot of schooling online to make it work.  Even though Ben's not technically "returning" to school, he's showing a lot more maturity in his education choices.  He seems to be working with his family to find an option that allows him to pursue education while still meeting his responsibilities as a husband and father and taking the needs of his wife and sons into account.

Derick seems to be just dragging his family along as he does what he wants.  

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I think this is completely right, and I find it baffling no one seems to have advised him away from this track. The number of fundie boys who have it put on their heart to preach... someone put in the time to tell Jill that her aspiration to become a nurse wasn't going to work out, but no one seems to tell the guys that ministry will not support many of them. With all the prayer with parents and church leaders these kids do, I'm surprised no one ever seems to be trying to deter them from that path.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Classic example of art imitating life:  Billy in St. Elmo's Fire = Derick.

27 minutes ago, pandora said:

I think this is completely right, and I find it baffling no one seems to have advised him away from this track. The number of fundie boys who have it put on their heart to preach... someone put in the time to tell Jill that her aspiration to become a nurse wasn't going to work out, but no one seems to tell the guys that ministry will not support many of them. With all the prayer with parents and church leaders these kids do, I'm surprised no one ever seems to be trying to deter them from that path.

Of course not being a preacher and spewing all their hatred is the height  of fundydom of course all the boys want to do it and all the parents want to brag their sons are that type of person leading his own flock. being a nurse would mean Jill worked out side the home and wasn't the perfect breeder fundy daughter. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived