IGNORED

Joy & Austin 21: Still Talking About Baby Gideon

Jellybean

Oh and don't know if that's mentioned before, but the fetal heart rate must always be assessed in relation to the mother's contraction strenght (via tocometry) cardiotocography

The fetal heartrate alone is pretty useless, so Jill monitoring just that is useless (well it doesn't take an expert to know that.)

Plus in a hospital you would monitor the baby's PH, especially during advanced/proloned labour, by taking a drop of blood from the head, when the baby turns sour, so to speak, you'll get it out fast (oxygen deficiency).

fetal scalp ph testing

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, squiddysquid said:

This sounds like shoulder dystocia. It happens suddenly, is unpredictable and has a high mortality rate.

You have about 5 min to get the baby out, so even with the best care the survival chances are really bad unfortunately.

SD remains an unpreventable and unpredictable obstetric emergency

shoulder dystocia is impossible to predict or prevent in an individual patient

Yes, thank you, this is what it is called, I couldn't remember what she told us it was. Its been almost 15 years since this happened what I do remember about it is most likely out of date medical information now.

I am just thankful to live in the time period we do! 

I'm a writer, and I'm currently working on a novel of Jane Seymour, the third wife of Henry VIII, who died of complications from child birth. We have come such a long way!

3 minutes ago, viii said:

I'm a writer, and I'm currently working on a novel of Jane Seymour, the third wife of Henry VIII, who died of complications from child birth. We have come such a long way!

If you're looking for beta readers when you're done your novel, hit me up. I love Jane Seymour. :) 

Oooh, thanks! I'll keep that in mind! Right now it's very rough, and I have about 50% left to write. I'm not really focusing on it right now until summer. I have 7 weeks off from work in the summer (yay school life) so right now I'm just researching and documenting and then come summer I'm hoping to finish the first draft. 

Even Joy though, in any other time, could have lost her life with a breeched 10 lbs baby. Thank god for c-sections. 

16 minutes ago, viii said:

It's always sobering for me to see an older cemetery with so many graves of young women, many of whom presumably died from childbirth or related complications. 

I love reading about Jane Seymour (and all the rest of the fascinating women in that era). Hopefully, if you publish your novel you'll let FJ know, if you're comfortable! :) 

31 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

If you're looking for beta readers when you're done your novel, hit me up. I love Jane Seymour. :) 

Me too!  I would love to read it.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I gained less weight with my second pregnancy yet he was much bigger than my first. I ate very similarly with both pregnancies and consumed little processed sugar since it made me nauseated. I'm guessing it was genetics.

We've never had an 8 lb baby in our family. Mostly all 6 and barely 7 lbs, and we carry small. My daughter followed the same pattern. Tiny gal ~100 lbs pre-pregnancy, gained about 15 lbs during her pregnancy, and her baby was 8-5ozs- largest baby for our family, ever. At nearly 4, her daughter is still big compared to others. She lives in Latin America where people tend to be smaller, but she is not. Her dad is tall for that culture at 5-9, but he is thin.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Yes, thank you, this is what it is called, I couldn't remember what she told us it was. Its been almost 15 years since this happened what I do remember about it is most likely out of date medical information now.

A relative of mine was born healthy 15 years ago although he did have shoulder distocia. He was naturally large. He is now 6'8" 

43 minutes ago, viii said:

Add me to the list of people who want to read your book! Long time Tudor fan here. I can't even think of a time when I wasn't and we are talking high school at least. I always found Jane interesting as she is the one wife we don't know as much about. And then the speculation was she really the sweet, mousy, innocent woman she appeared to be or was she ruthless like Anne but just presented herself as such to attract Henry by being the opposite? I tend to go with innocent. 

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The home birthing started with Anna and their asinine modesty standards, she was worried about a man she didn't know seeing her vag, so they took the insane risk of an unattended home birth. They were very lucky she seems to have fairly easy births, and her and Mac were fine. With the rest she had a half hearted attempt at care with a lay midwife.  

I'm not sure why they stopped getting OB care, probably the cost savings, except with Jill & now Joy how much are they really saving, having both had emergency c/sections? I know for a fact doctors HATE when women come in in active/end stage labor needing medical intervention.  It increases the likelihood of a bad outcome, which in turn increases the risk for a malpractice suit. These backwoods nitwits (and yes I'm calling the Duggar's backwoods nitwits) who think rightwing Jebus will save them from their own stupidity, and when all goes well they praise him to the heavens, and when it doesn't they blame the doctor and sue.

But Anna did have at least one birth center birth (Marcus?) and I believe when they were living in DC she was planning to use a local birth center for Meredith but then moved back to NWA when Josh was fired from FLC.

I agree though, the Duggars homebirth love started with Anna.

Thanks for all the support, girls! 

5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

And then the speculation was she really the sweet, mousy, innocent woman she appeared to be or was she ruthless like Anne but just presented herself as such to attract Henry by being the opposite? I tend to go with innocent. 

I'm aiming for a mixture of the two, but overall leaning more towards innocent. My novel spans 1529 - 1537, so it begins with her arriving at Court and naturally she is a lot more innocent, having been sheltered at Wolf Hall. Towards the end of the novel, though, she has learned how to survive in a court of suspicion, and has learned a trick or two from Anne Boleyn. 

3 minutes ago, viii said:

I'm aiming for a mixture of the two, but overall leaning more towards innocent. My novel spans 1529 - 1537, so it begins with her arriving at Court and naturally she is a lot more innocent, having been sheltered at Wolf Hall. Towards the end of the novel, though, she has learned how to survive in a court of suspicion, and has learned a trick or two from Anne Boleyn. 

True, I don't see her as ruthless as an Anne or many others, but she couldn't have been completely naive as how to survive the court. 

Combine it with the fact that she had her father and her two brothers there, then I think she had more of an education on Court life than what's assumed. 

7 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I tend to believe ruthless.  And oddly that Ann wasn't that much so.  

I have heard that theory as well about Anne. 

Clearly the failed home birth is punishment for supporting the ebil gay agenda with that Ellen bathroom decor.

Obligatory /s

17 hours ago, jozina said:

And for Rufus's sake, these women better get gestational diabetes screening. Yes some women just make big babies but given how many they have I really hope they get screened.

Thanks for mentioning this.

My mother gave birth to my sister (9# 10 oz) and me (10# 14 oz) in the early 1950s and did indeed present with maturity onset diabetes in her late forties/early fifties.

I was under the impression that having very large babies is a red flag. I didn’t know it could just be normal for some women.

My maternal grandmother was born in 1929 and her mother died from complications of childbirth. She was her 5th child. So, having that so close to the present day serves as a reminder that it does happen. 

I wish that all of these women wouldn't take the risks that they do. 

51 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

Thanks for mentioning this.

My mother gave birth to my sister (9# 10 oz) and me (10# 14 oz) in the early 1950s and did indeed present with maturity onset diabetes in her late forties/early fifties.

I was under the impression that having very large babies is a red flag. I didn’t know it could just be normal for some women.

There have been studies that conclude that having a LGA baby (I think > than 4500gms) predisposes women to developing Type 2 diabetes at a greater rate.

3 hours ago, viii said:

Me too!! I wanna read it, sounds great!

This is the abridged version of my labors and deliveries, but still a long post. All 3 of my boys were premies. Oldest was a vaginal birth at 34 weeks. I had premature rupture of membranes, the baby spent 1 week in the NICU. Middle son was a crash c section at 31 wks 2 d b/c of placental abruption. He spent 11 weeks in the hospital with a myriad of complications. 

Youngest son was an IVF baby so we knew about the pregnancy from day one. I took so many precautions: had ultrasounds at every OB appointment, saw a high risk OB due to previous complications, ate lots of fruits and vegetables, took prenatal vitamins, etc. I had a lot of nausea and developed gestational pemphigoid (that’s another post altogether- what a nightmare) but things with the baby were progressing well. I had a checkup at 32 weeks where I learned I had only gained 15 pounds and everything looked good. The next day I was vomiting and thought I had a stomach virus. The following day I started having contractions and went to the hospital. Turns out I had HELLP syndrome, the baby was breech, and the cord was around his neck. I ended up getting a platelet transfusion and having an emergency c-section that afternoon. After he was born, my kidneys temporarily shut down and I gained 30 pounds of fluid. Spent 6 days in the hospital and was later told I almost died. Fortunately my son fared much better and only spent 3 weeks in the hospital before he was able to come home. My point with all of this is, I am incredibly thankful for modern medical advancements and that I went to the hospital when I did. Also, I’m incredibly grateful for birth control because without the ability to limit my family size I’d be dead. It’s frustrating to read/watch stories like Jill/Jessa/Joy’s.

33 minutes ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

This is the abridged version of my labors and deliveries, but still a long post. All 3 of my boys were premies. Oldest was a vaginal birth at 34 weeks. I had premature rupture of membranes, the baby spent 1 week in the NICU. Middle son was a crash c section at 31 wks 2 d b/c of placental abruption. He spent 11 weeks in the hospital with a myriad of complications. 

Youngest son was an IVF baby so we knew about the pregnancy from day one. I took so many precautions: had ultrasounds at every OB appointment, saw a high risk OB due to previous complications, ate lots of fruits and vegetables, took prenatal vitamins, etc. I had a lot of nausea and developed gestational pemphigoid (that’s another post altogether- what a nightmare) but things with the baby were progressing well. I had a checkup at 32 weeks where I learned I had only gained 15 pounds and everything looked good. The next day I was vomiting and thought I had a stomach virus. The following day I started having contractions and went to the hospital. Turns out I had HELLP syndrome, the baby was breech, and the cord was around his neck. I ended up getting a platelet transfusion and having an emergency c-section that afternoon. After he was born, my kidneys temporarily shut down and I gained 30 pounds of fluid. Spent 6 days in the hospital and was later told I almost died. Fortunately my son fared much better and only spent 3 weeks in the hospital before he was able to come home. My point with all of this is, I am incredibly thankful for modern medical advancements and that I went to the hospital when I did. Also, I’m incredibly grateful for birth control because without the ability to limit my family size I’d be dead. It’s frustrating to read/watch stories like Jill/Jessa/Joy’s.

Holy Moly! And I agree it is very frustrating seeing how cavalier they appear to be about what they claim to be among the most important aspects of their lives, procreation.

Why does it seem that they half ass everything, yet want to tell everyone how their way IS better? 

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

There have been studies that conclude that having a LGA baby (I think > than 4500gms) predisposes women to developing Type 2 diabetes at a greater rate.

And that's most likely because those women had gestational diabetes that was not diagnosed. It's quite possible - some women don't do the testing (I wouldn't be surprised if the Duggars don't do it), some may do it before their insulin resistance kicks in, others may end up squeezing through with a borderline number and a midwife or OB who doesn't bother to check again in a couple of weeks. If you have gestational diabetes, your odds of developing Type II diabetes are about 50% within 5 years which is very, very high.

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

All three of my boys were like this.Big babies.I was screened.I did not have gestational diabetes,at 57,I do not have diabetes,now.But,my husband,who was also a 10lb baby has diabetes.My adult sons also have diabetes.Their paternal grandmother had it.My older brother has it,he was an average size baby.There is no history of diabetes on my side of the family.My brother took a statin for his cholesterol.He does have his diabetes under control.He walks,watches his diet,checks his sugar and with this and Metformin,it's where it should be.My doctor wants me to take a statin for my cholesterol.I don't want to take it,I prefer diet and exercise and am afraid if I take a statin after awhile I'll find out I have diabetes.

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived