IGNORED

Dillards 51: Making Play Look Complicated

Jellybean

So Derick wants to become a preacher AND a conservative pundit? Or does he want to go back to being a missionary? Or an accountant?

What exactly is your future objective, Derick?  Or are you just  still so mad at TLC that you just want to lash out at all media?

#2yearsoldforanothermonthbutyourhusbandwillbeadoucheforeverJill

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that as 2 year sold. Couldn't figure out why they were selling poor Izzy.

17 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I, too, was optimistic when Derick appeared on the scene. He had a job, and a degree, went to a real college, did missionary work... how ridiculous it seems now. He's an irredeemable shitsack. I can think of nothing more appalling than regularly attacking minors on the internet, behind the safety of a screen.

There's nothing I can say that someone else hasn't said before, but damn, he makes me angry.

I can't help but think how Jinger - unintentionally - one upped Jill, Jimboobs perfect daughter.  Derick seemed like a great fundy husband for Jill: educated, career, into missions, ministry, etc.   Ben wasn't competition because although he is arguably much better looking and athletic, he was sooo young, hadn't finished his degree and only vague plans of ministry.  Then Jeremy rolls up.  Hes tall, good looking, former professional athlete, college degree, and he has his own church.   SCORE.  

Jinger also got a beautiful, coordinated wedding with a showstopping dress while JIll's wedding was rather shabby in comparison.  Jill seemed a little miffed about that in the recap episide while Jessa still didn't give AF and was laughing that she was just fine using Jills leftovers.  

I feel like Jinger and Joy have had the benefit of watching their older sisters and seeing how their relationships have played out.

Jessa I think just got really lucky. She was matched with someone that happened to get along well with her, seems to have a good temperament, and seems to enjoy being a father. Jinger, Joy, and the other girls probably looked at their relationship and learned they wanted a partner they felt comfortable with and could be best friends with. They probably also looked at his lack of job and his youth, and the way Jessa will have to still be especially under their parents' thumb, and thought, "I want someone a little older who has some kind of career prospects going." Austin and Jeremy are both considerably older than Joy and Jinger.

Jill and Derick is what could have happened with Jessa and Ben if Jessa was not so lucky. Jessa would have had more courtship time to figure it out, though, plus more face time, so maybe it just would've been a broken courtship. I think the younger girls learned from observing this relationship that they want to take time to get to know the person (in Joy's case, she ended up with someone she's known since childhood). 

2 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I feel like Jinger and Joy have had the benefit of watching their older sisters and seeing how their relationships have played out.

Jessa I think just got really lucky. She was matched with someone that happened to get along well with her, seems to have a good temperament, and seems to enjoy being a father. Jinger, Joy, and the other girls probably looked at their relationship and learned they wanted a partner they felt comfortable with and could be best friends with. They probably also looked at his lack of job and his youth, and the way Jessa will have to still be especially under their parents' thumb, and thought, "I want someone a little older who has some kind of career prospects going." Austin and Jeremy are both considerably older than Joy and Jinger.

Jill and Derick is what could have happened with Jessa and Ben if Jessa was not so lucky. Jessa would have had more courtship time to figure it out, though, plus more face time, so maybe it just would've been a broken courtship. I think the younger girls learned from observing this relationship that they want to take time to get to know the person (in Joy's case, she ended up with someone she's known since childhood). 

I do worry that once Ben gets a few more years under his belt, and especially if there's baby after baby, that his rose colored glasses might cloud over. He is so much younger than the rest and likely does not realize all that he has missed with the lifestyle he chose when just barely a man.

That's true, @SassyPants. Some here have said that our ideas of which couples seem to have it best may change as the years go by, and that particularly the Dillards are a wildcard because they could potentially have WAY less kids than the other Duggar siblings. Maybe if Derick chills out (ok, unlikely) and the Dills only end up with 4 kids they could end up the happiest family. Or maybe even having Derick as a dad will still be better than life in the Seewald house if the Seewalds end up with 19 kids and the Dillards only have a few more. 

Sometimes people who are deeply insecure about their religious faith, questioning and doubting but not wanting to stop believing, are the most vitriolic, conservative and extreme. I do sometimes kind of wonder if that's the case for Derick. Those people usually either remain assholes, or they leave their faith. Unfortunately with Derick I'd expect the former - he has way too much external reinforcement. I can't see him having the humility or the guts to admit to himself that what he believes is wrong, take the leap and deal with the fallout from his family, friends and community.

The sad thing is that he could make a really nice life for himself and his wife and kids outside of fundamentalism. He's not like some of these other guys who have no education and no real marketable skills. If he wanted to, he could pretty easily find a real, decent job and build a successful career. He could even return to school for a bit and get a legit, non-ministry further certification. They could limit their offspring to a reasonable number and send them to school. Jill could work part time as a doula, or even buckle down and try for that nursing degree she used to aspire to. They could be happy, successful, productive members of their community. Instead, Derick is wasting all his money and time aspiring to a career that is completely over-saturated and for which he's totally unsuited, and Jill is just languishing.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

The sad thing is that he could make a really nice life for himself and his wife and kids outside of fundamentalism. He's not like some of these other guys who have no education and no real marketable skills. If he wanted to, he could pretty easily find a real, decent job and build a successful career. He could even return to school for a bit and get a legit, non-ministry further certification. They could limit their offspring to a reasonable number and send them to school. Jill could work part time as a doula, or even buckle down and try for that nursing degree she used to aspire to. They could be happy, successful, productive members of their community. Instead, Derick is wasting all his money and time aspiring to a career that is completely over-saturated and for which he's totally unsuited, and Jill is just languishing.

Agree 100%- I hope that Derick can grow up, get some balance and realize he has so many positives to contribute, and above all, the education and skills to support his family without making himself a nuisance to his family and the world.

I knew Derick was trouble from early on. IDK if I could say from the beginning, but I think there is something shady about a man from a non-fundie background purposefully pursuing a fundie woman. It's like they fetishize these submissive, meek women.

Or he could have genuinely been attracted to her, had feelings for her and wanted to be with her. And Visa versa. Feelings arent so  rational and don’t always  make sense :) Also You could say that about Jeremy and Ben just as well. 

• @TheMustardCardigan you are absolutely right! we have no idea, how their lives will be 10 years from now! Actually, we don't have any idea, how our own lives will be 10 years from now. Of course there are indications, but really, anything can happen. Unexpected Illness, financial hardship, number of kids... we really have no way of reliably predicting what life has in store for these people. I wonder if I'll still check up on them 10, 20 years from now... I would absolutely LOVE to know the final number of grandchildren for both the Duggars and Bates, but that could take about 40-50 years! (depending on wether some of the youngest Bates boys marry women younger than them) I doubt that counting on will be on TV until then :pb_lol: I hope I'll remember to do a final count, when I'm in my 70s. :pb_biggrin:

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Agree 100%- I hope that Derick can grow up, get some balance and realize he has so many positives to contribute, and above all, the education and skills to support his family without making himself a nuisance to his family and the world.

I don't know how possible this is.  Derick, IMO, has fallen down the "ass"hole of fundamentalism and may actually like it there.  Jill seems to be a massive clinger and didn't seem comfortable with him working a 9-5.  I doubt that Jim Bob or Cathy are actively advocating "normalcy".  But who knows, I guess people can change.

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I don't know how possible this is.  Derick, IMO, has fallen down the "ass"hole of fundamentalism and may actually like it there.  Jill seems to be a massive clinger and didn't seem comfortable with him working a 9-5.  I doubt that Jim Bob or Cathy are actively advocating "normalcy".  But who knows, I guess people can change.

Well, they are no longer on the show, so the easy income is gone. The missionary gig failed, again no money or grifting for mission cations. They likely aren't using BC, so babies, babies, babies, which cost money. You never know what people will do when the easy options run out.

7 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Derick vowed to Jim Bob that he wouldn't go into debt, so it'll be interesting to see what his next move is.

He could always change his mind. I've said all kinds of stuff and then life happened. 

What, no #bestpapa or #besthubbyever?

On 3/2/2018 at 7:32 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I read that as 2 year sold. Couldn't figure out why they were selling poor Izzy.

Because his dad refuses to get a job so they need to find a way to make money.

I would seriously be happy if I never had to see another picture of Derick in bed.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:55 PM, CaricatureQualities said:

Derick Says: " I'm %100 for finding the best solutions to end gun violence! I think most member of humanity would believe the same."

Yes, he’s for solutions to end gun violence except for common sense gun laws. Wanker.

ETA: Someone on a previous page mentioned Derick is trying to take back the title of worst ex-reality tv “Star” (or since stars are balls of gas, it seems more appropriate to call them balls of flatulence. I am so doing that from now on). Anyway, David Eason, the ex-reality Ball of Flatulence is definitely trying to piss people off now. Whereas who knows with Derick. Since being fired, David posted pictures of Kaiser (who is 3!) posing with a toy gun, lying on the ground in a hunting pose, and his 1-year-Old daughter with a toy gun.

On 3/1/2018 at 2:20 PM, luv2laugh said:

I don’t think it was Jill’s plan to marry a confrontational shit starter.

THIS Jill as always such a butt kissing people pleaser and being married to bear poking shit disturber who just annoys people for the sake of annoying people has to be hard for her.  He went from a nerdy missionary wanna be to a nasty rude asshole in very short order. It was quite the turn around and I'm sure it has left little Jilly Muffin reeling. Just another reason not to marry a may you've only known for 3 months (says the woman who married a man she met after 3 months :pb_rollseyes: :pb_lol:). 

Poor Sam's face says SO MUCH.

"Hey, Stork - WHYyyyyyy did you drop me off with THIS family? What did I do in a previous life to deserve the #bestpapaever?"

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived