IGNORED

Joy and Austin 19: 273 Days After the Wedding Gideon Arrived

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, shock928 said:

Who do we think will have babies in the most rapid succession? Joy got pregnant incredibly fast, I wonder if they will have more babies quickly?

i had 3 babies in 3 years- got pregnant after my first about 3 months later, surprise. My third baby I was actively preventing- but he had other ideas and I was pregnant 4 months after my second was born. I'm happy with how it turns out but wow- my body was beat up (still is) from such closely spaced pregnancies and related birth complications. 

I know Jill's are spaced about 18 months which is good to recover from her c sections. Jessas are a bit closer... I have this dreadful feeling joy may have rapid pregnancies and she is really young, anybody know how far apart Michelle's and the others are spaced?

I have two sets of children. My first two are one year and eight days apart. June 2 and June 10. 

Eleven years later, my next two were ten months and eight days apart. June 2 and April 10. She came 3 and 1/2 weeks early. I was pregnant at my postpartum checkup.

Yes, my boys have the same birthday. My eleven year old (at that time) said that none of his friends would ever get a cooler present than a little brother for his birthday!

So I certainly understand having babies like stair steps! 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Except another line of thinking says conception more days before ovulation is better suited to getting boys because the body temperature is lower. So clearly it's not very full-proof. I think I'll look into some of the proof during work breaks, since I have access to the database of scientific articles! But the ovulation timing and food ones. Not the positions! Ha!

Some answers: Work from the 1960s suggested the Y-carrying sperm swam faster but died earlier than X-carrying sperm, so getting the sperm more quickly to the egg would increase chances of having a boy, and increasing travel time made it more likely for a girl. The diet advice is based on creating a more acidic or basic reproductive tract. Y-carrying sperm thought to be more fragile, need more alkaline environment and eating potassium-rich and salty foods creates this, and opposite for X-carrying sperm. BUT recent studies with better equipment have found that there are not two distinct populations of sperm like previously thought. So people may have fun trying these but unlike the Sims, there's no real way to influence sex! (unless through IVF of course)

Hossain AM, Barik S, Kulkarni PM. Lack of significant morphological differences between human X and Y spermatozoa and their precursor cells (spermatids) exposed to different prehybridization treatments. J Androl 2001; 22: 119-23.  [PubMed]

Penfold LM, Holt C, Holt WV, Welch DG, Cran DG, Johnson LA. Comparative motility of X and Y chromosome-bearing bovine sperm separated on the basis of DNA content by flow sorting. Mol Reprod Dev 1998;50: 323-7.  [PubMed]

Maybe the Duggars have higher blood pressure?  Last year a study was published that indicates that blood pressure may affect the sex.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/womens-blood-pressure-before-pregnancy-could-determine-the-sex-of-their-baby/

Publication here: https://academic.oup.com/ajh/article-abstract/30/4/382/2835699?redirectedFrom=fulltext

In regards to health care in the USA, this article indicates that in 2012 the costs of governmental health care costs were higher than most other OECD countries (Out of pocket costs were also significantly higher than the other OECD countries). https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/health-costs-how-the-us-compares-with-other-countries .  I wonder how much of this is because of the privatised system and the costs associated with that, and/or the fact that preventative health and detecting issues earlier rather than later is a lot cheaper.  I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago that a lot of the public hospitals were closing down because the private ones were performing the cheaper/more cost effective treatments while the expensive ones were done in the public hospitals, so the potential cost recoveries weren't happening in the public hospitals.

5 hours ago, User error said:

All of the Atlantic provinces are open to people moving there, however you still have to immigrate to Canada following the national laws and regulations as it is a part of Canada and immigration is federally regulated.  I’ve been told by a number of immigrants it’s easier to be accepted for residency in the US than Canada.  It took me three years to get my residency for the US, and I am married to an American.  

Bagged Milk baffles them.  Also, shit disturber was a common term back home in Atlantic Canada. 

My grandmother's second husband was from Quebec, as is my uncle's wife.  While I never heard "shit disturber,"  (how disturbed can shit be?)  I've tasted bagged milk and seen the little plastic holder that the bag fits in.  In Canada, milk isn't watered down like it is here.

10 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Why not both in one?

"How about that Momma--our tenth grandchild and he was 10 pounds!"

Cue giggle from Michelle.

Hahahaha that was perfect!!! That sounds EXACTLY like what he would say!! I even read it in his creepy voice. ***shudder*** I can see it now, his arm around her, looking down at her saying that while she stares up at him adoringly. Gross!!

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Welcome to FJ! We’re really big fans of thread drift here. Usually posters just skip over whatever drift doesn’t interest them or they just continue talking on topic while the drift continues. It happens a lot on the Duggar threads, but it dies down eventually. :) 

(Sorry if you’ve been here a while. I didn’t recognize your username, so I thought you might be new and I wanted to welcome you. :pb_lol:)

Hahaha thanks!! New-ish!! (it's that obvious huh?! lol)

I was a big baby at nearly 10 lbs, but one of my cousins (biologically unrelated to me) was 11lbs at birth. Her mother did have gestational diabetes. I think with my parents they're simply large people (both 6' or over) and it made sense that they had large babies. Though I guess that doesn't correlate directly; one of my cousins is 6'2'' and she had tiny babies who have grown to be very tall girls.

My great-grandmother had huge babies. I don't remember how much her singletons weighed, but she had two sets of twins (born at home on her farm!) who all weighed over 8lbs each. That means she was carrying 17lbs of baby at the end of her pregnancies! We really wonder if she had gestational diabetes.

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Thanks guys, my mind is blown. Until tonight I thought shit disturber was universal! :pb_lol:

Sounds like when I was surprised that 'I reckon' (meaning 'I think') wasn't used outside of Australia (I was informed by a Canadian in my first year of University).

Just now, Someone Out There said:

Sounds like when I was surprised that 'I reckon' (meaning 'I think') wasn't used outside of Australia (I was informed by a Canadian in my first year of University).

We use "I reckon" in the south in America!

1 hour ago, Otto Titsling said:

I have two sets of children. My first two are one year and eight days apart. June 2 and June 10. 

Eleven years later, my next two were ten months and eight days apart. June 2 and April 10. She came 3 and 1/2 weeks early. I was pregnant at my postpartum checkup.

Yes, my boys have the same birthday. My eleven year old (at that time) said that none of his friends would ever get a cooler present than a little brother for his birthday!

So I certainly understand having babies like stair steps! 

Imagine you were quiverful, you could have easily reached the #20, even more!

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

My great-grandmother had huge babies. I don't remember how much her singletons weighed, but she had two sets of twins (born at home on her farm!) who all weighed over 8lbs each. That means she was carrying 17lbs of baby at the end of her pregnancies! We really wonder if she had gestational diabetes.

Not saying your great-grandmother was lying, but my grandparents told me that in their childhood, even in the homebirths attended by accredited doctors, the babies were usually weighted by the women helping in the delivery (relatives, neighbours...) and they used to exaggerate a bit about the weight. Big babies meant the mother was a "good breeder" and that the baby was healthy. I know it sounds awful, but I'm talking about almost a century ago.

I grew up in the American south, and "I reckon" was pretty common. I don't hear it so much now, though.

As for shit disturber, I've heard that all my life, everywhere I've lived (the South, the DEEP South, the east coast, a military community in Germany, and the Midwest).

9 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My bet is on the fact that they saw it on the hotel room Bible they found the night Gideon was conceived.

Oh my goodness - I thought this too!! HA 

I knew there is a trend with naming babies after the city of conception.. but not random objects I found in the room next to me.  I'm looking forward to Lampshade Forsyth :P 

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

Hahahaha that was perfect!!! That sounds EXACTLY like what he would say!! I even read it in his creepy voice. ***shudder*** I can see it now, his arm around her, looking down at her saying that while she stares up at him adoringly. Gross!!

Hahaha thanks!! New-ish!! (it's that obvious huh?! lol)

Lol! Usually when someone mentions thread drift it’s because they’re a bit new. It can definitely take some getting used to at first, but I think most people enjoy it (most of the time. There are definitely exceptions, politics being one.) My personal favorite drifts have included Harry Potter, the Tudors, cute pets, and hot celebrities. 

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

I was a big baby at nearly 10 lbs, but one of my cousins (biologically unrelated to me) was 11lbs at birth. Her mother did have gestational diabetes. I think with my parents they're simply large people (both 6' or over) and it made sense that they had large babies. Though I guess that doesn't correlate directly; one of my cousins is 6'2'' and she had tiny babies who have grown to be very tall girls.

Husband is 6’1” and I’m 5’7”. Our daughter was 5 lbs and 19 inches at birth, but shot up to 24 lbs 8 oz and 32 inches at her first year wellness check (a gain of 19.5 pounds and 13 inches! My kid is a beast!) It’ll be interesting to see how she continues growing as she gets older, but we have a feeling she’s going to be on the tall side.

14 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

This thread is like one of my family gatherings!

Some people are talking about how cute a new baby is.

Some people are fighting.

Some people are saying "Eff you" to other people

Some people are having a rational, intelligent discussion.

We just need booze and I would feel right at home.

Thank you for giving me a much needed belly laugh!

“I reckon” is definitely used here in the UK. 

So much for all the people who thought baby Forsyth would be named something like Hunter or Remington or Dallas :pb_lol::pb_lol: I reckon (see?) they’ll just go Biblical like most of our fundies. Or they might not go with a name theme at all.

On http://duggars.tumblr.com, they have a screenshot of one of Austin's friends, Andrew Patton's IG. (I'm assuming it's private so I didn't repost here) but there's a hospital bed in the background so it definitely doesn't look like a birthing center. 

18 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

On http://duggars.tumblr.com, they have a screenshot of one of Austin's friends, Andrew Patton's IG. (I'm assuming it's private so I didn't repost here) but there's a hospital bed in the background so it definitely doesn't look like a birthing center. 

Sad Joy's plan didn't work out (and any disappointment she may feel about this), but glad she and baby are doing great. I hope she didn't go the Jill route and spend 2 days in pain and denial before going to the hospital. :pb_rollseyes:

My sister has three kids -
Girl, 8.5 pounds (I think)
Boy, 10 pounds 14 oz
Girl, 9ish pounds

Both of the girls were induced 3-4 weeks early due to my sister's blood pressure. She had an epidural that was only somewhat effective with the first. Nothing with the second two (other than pitocin for the last). She has said that her son was the easiest delivery of the three. His shoulders did get a bit stuck, but she had a wonderful CNM who had an apprentice and also two RNs from the hospital where she delivered (where the CNM had been a delivery nurse before becoming a midwife) - and as soon as his position was detected, they all sprung into action and he was out in a minute, if that. It was funny - all four attendants went "Oh, big baby, around 9 pounds" and then *gasped* when they put him on the scale. He was the largest vaginal delivery that her midwife ever had. 

I took a ton of photos of the first as a newborn, very few of the second - he just did not look like a newborn! And none of the third, since I was half a world away when she needed to show up. They are all middle to small side of the scale for their ages now and my nephew had issues for a while of his pants always falling down because he didn't have any butt to hold them up! My sister didn't have gestational diabetes (they were monitoring her closely) and she eats better than most people out there. Hoping the genetics didn't get passed on to me!

11 minutes ago, bananabread said:

Sad Joy's plan didn't work out (and any disappointment she may feel about this), but glad she and baby are doing great. I hope she didn't go the Jill route and spend 2 days in pain and denial before going to the hospital. :pb_rollseyes:

Same. Jill is a moron and I really hope that 1) She wasn't part of Joy's birthing team, though I doubt it. and 2) If she was, that if Joy said she wanted to go to the hospital right away, she let her. 

Joy had a video that said they were setting up the birth pool and getting things ready, looks like they planned for a homebirth but headed to the hospital, hopefully sooner rather than later.

9 hours ago, new espadrille said:

According to my spreadsheet:
Josh - Jana/John David: 1 year, 10 months, 9 days
Jana/John David - Jill: 1 yr, 4 mos, 5 days
Jill - Jessa: 1 yr, 5 mos, 18 days
Jessa - Jinger: 1 yr, 1 mo, 17 days
Jinger - Joseph: 1 yr, 30 days
Joseph - Josiah: 1 yr, 7 mos, 8 days
Josiah - Joy Anna: 1 yr, 2 mos
Joy Anna - Jedidiah/Jeremiah: 1 yr, 2 mos, 2 days
Jedidiah/Jeremiah - Jason: 1 yr, 3 mos, 22 days
Jason - James: 1 yr, 2 mos, 16 days
James - Justin: 1 yr, 4 mos, 8 days
Justin - Jackson: 1 yr, 6 mos, 8 days
Jackson - Johannah: 1 yr, 4 mos, 18 days
Johannah -  Jennifer: 1 yr, 9 mos, 22 days
Jennifer - Jordyn: 1 yr, 4 mos, 1 days
Jordyn - Josie: 11 mos, 22 days

The smallest gap is between Jordyn and Josie at 11 mos 22 days.
The largest gap is between Johannah and Jennifer at 1 yr, 9 mos, and 22 days.
The age difference between the oldest and youngest child is 21 yrs, 9 mos, 7 days.

(I have no life lmao)

I must have less of a life than you do, because I actually have an edit to this---the largest gap is between Josh & Jana/John David, not between Johannah and Jordyn!

I know a woman who had several home births and all of her babies (except the first I think) were over 10lbs. One was 11lbs 6oz. I’m not sure if she had gestational diabetes, as I doubt she was ever tested. She was extremely anti hospital birth. I think she got very, very lucky. Her last birth was an accidental unassisted home birth (midwife didn’t arrive in time) and I think it traumatized her. Despite being more Catholic than the pope, regularly declaring she wanted 10+ children and being incredibly smug about how natural childbirth was, and her ability as a petite woman to push out enormous babies at home with a midwife, she hasn’t had another since then, and I think it’s been about four years now.

If Joy did have to have a C-section, I hope she listens to medical advice. I’m still curious/concerned about how Jill’s going to handle her own fertility after two C-sections in a row. What happens when the rose coloured glasses come off and they realize they’re not going to be able to have back-to-back uncomplicated pregnancies, and they have 20+ years of fertility left ahead of them?

13 hours ago, SassyPants said:

We just bought a home in coastal Southern Ecuador. We are eligible for  residency as our granddaughter is an EC citizen and our daughter has her residency as well. We plan to split our time between our 2 homes. Our daughter and her EC husband recently turned down jobs back here in the states. Pencil to paper, their lives are better in EC...educated , experienced people. It's all rather sad.

so happy for you that you bought a vacation home.  Perhaps you can rent it out :)

and pickles says the kid was born in hospital via c section and that the duggars are hiding it. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived