IGNORED

Maxwell 18: Creating at Least One Mini-Steve

Coconut Flan

19 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

I would like to thank our British sisteren and brethren for beans on toast. I love me some beans on toast. Bless you people.

I only know that is a thing because my kids watch Peppa Pig :pb_lol:

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/02/2018 at 9:26 AM, courtlylove said:

When I was growing up (north west of England, then Australia) we had something my parents were used to from the war - dripping (the fat and juices when a piece of meat was roasted in the oven) on bread generously - and I mean generously - sprinkled with salt.

I might be of a different generation to you, but  for my dad (also from north of England, and born in 1948), that was a standard family meal too. I don’t think I’ve ever had it, as one one who grew up in southern England, and definitely not after we moved to Australia in the late 80s.

Incidentally, my dad used to specifically mention bread and dripping as being the diet-related reason why he believed he developed multiple sclerosis. There apparently is a reasonable correlation between MS and having northern UK or Celtic origins. Whether the food thing is a part of that correlation - who can say?

38 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

What on Earth is shit on a shingle? That sounds vile.

That's the common name for creamed chipped beef.  I learned how to make it years ago--if using the sliced dried salted beef in the jar, you soak it in several changes of water to get the salt out.  You make a white sauce, mince up the beef, and mix the two together.  I make the white sauce with butter, flour, and cream or half and half, add in the beef, and serve it over mashed potatoes.  It really isn't bad.

39 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Anything made in the Maxhell kitchen.

Actually creamed chipped beef on toast can be pretty good.  However, you need to use the very thinly sliced beef from a brand like Land o' Frost which isn't too salty. Also make sure you make a rich cream sauce, 50-50 milk and evaporated milk, and wheat toast, nicely buttered.

You have to eat it while it's hot because cooled and congealed it's not good at all.  A variation is to use canned corned beef. Nuke it for a minute or so and then drain off the fat.

My daddy had a love for the stuff and we sometimes ate it for a late Saturday supper.

I have a British friend who loves beans on toast, also canned spaghetti (the Chef Boyardee kind) on toast, But then he also eats canned sardines in mustard sauce on toast.

@JermajestyDuggar, not only do my grandkids watch Peppa Pig, but I do, too.  My granddaughter introduced me to Peppa, then in 2016, I introduced another granddaughter to Peppa when we stuck at her home while her mom (my 2nd daughter) was in the hospital with her new baby sister.  I knew if was one kid's cartoon on Youtube that wouldn't drive me completely bonkers.That granddaughter introduced Peppa to her older brother and baby sister and then to my deaf granddaughter.  My grandson once told his preschool teacher that he was going on holiday.  He picked that up from Peppa, of course.  I have been known to watch Peppa Pig  and Thomas with no kids present.

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I might be of a different generation to you, but  for my dad (also from north of England, and born in 1948), that was a standard family meal too. I don’t think I’ve ever had it, as one one who grew up in southern England, and definitely not after we moved to Australia in the late 80s.

Incidentally, my dad used to specifically mention bread and dripping as being the diet-related reason why he believed he developed multiple sclerosis. There apparently is a reasonable correlation between MS and having northern UK or Celtic origins. Whether the food thing is a part of that correlation - who can say?

Maybe not too different a generation @Captain Obvious - my dad was born in 1938. I've not heard that correlation before; interesting.

My dad, who would happily eat practically anything, had shit on a shingle when he was in the military.  It obviously wasn't any kind of gourmet version.  He said it was really disgusting.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@JermajestyDuggar, not only do my grandkids watch Peppa Pig, but I do, too.  My granddaughter introduced me to Peppa, then in 2016, I introduced another granddaughter to Peppa when we stuck at her home while her mom (my 2nd daughter) was in the hospital with her new baby sister.  I knew if was one kid's cartoon on Youtube that wouldn't drive me completely bonkers.That granddaughter introduced Peppa to her older brother and baby sister and then to my deaf granddaughter.  My grandson once told his preschool teacher that he was going on holiday.  He picked that up from Peppa, of course.  I have been known to watch Peppa Pig  and Thomas with no kids present.

You should watch Hey Duggee another bbc show.  I am not ashamed to admit I watch this without the kids.

5 hours ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

Oh wow.  One of my few approved non-fundie friends growing up had a mom who would do this. This is the only other time I've ever heard of it, though. I used to bring cheese sandwiches over to my friends house and we'd eat in her room because we were a little weirded out by the pot of whatever sitting out on the table.

It is so strange right?!  The worst thing was at one point like you I was bringing in my own food.  Which his mom then would eat, instead of the stuff she cooked.  

5 hours ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

Oh wow.  One of my few approved non-fundie friends growing up had a mom who would do this. This is the only other time I've ever heard of it, though. I used to bring cheese sandwiches over to my friends house and we'd eat in her room because we were a little weirded out by the pot of whatever sitting out on the table.

It is so strange right?!  The worst thing was at one point like you I was bringing in my own food.  Which his mom then would eat, instead of the stuff she cooked.  

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

I love Rugrats myself.  My late father would get up early on Saturday mornings to watch the Road Runner.

I just caught up on this thread while deliberately not looking at that scary sounding casserole. Using my imagination via your descriptions of horror has been very entertaining. I was also thoroughly amused through the mental gymnastics of politically incorrect fundie Christian beekeeping. Now there's something to put on a resume. 

I'm guessing that Anna Marie is overdue by now - they've said she's due in "February" while Elissa is due in "February or March" and now there's talk in the comments about having two cousins maybe born on the same day. And I feel like Sarah (or whoever's writing the blog) has said for weeks now that Anna Marie is due any day, though I'm too lazy right now to go back and check.

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

My son also picked up some sayings from Peppa Pig! He never says "right away" like us Americans. He always says things like, "I want to go to McDonald's straight away!" I love it.

I wonder who was the first family posting about food. Was the Bontrager post about Chelsy's cooking skills an answer to the ugly Teri's casserole o did it went the opposite way? Whoever posted the second, I see a passive agressive answer there.

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU to whoever linked to the blog reviewing Preparing Sons To Provide For a Single Income Family. This is fascinating stuff. Steve put a lot of himself and his crazy into this book! And it has me feeling really sorry for Christopher. It seems that when the non-reversals were growing up Nathan was the golden child and poor Chris couldn't do anything right.

http://whencowsandkidscollide.blogspot.com/search/label/Preparing Sons to Provide for a single income family

10 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Actually creamed chipped beef on toast can be pretty good.  However, you need to use the very thinly sliced beef from a brand like Land o' Frost which isn't too salty. Also make sure you make a rich cream sauce, 50-50 milk and evaporated milk, and wheat toast, nicely buttered.

Navy kid here--my dad loves creamed chipped beef on toast from his shipboard days. I confess a secret fondness for it--only get to eat it once every 4-5 years!

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Navy kid here--my dad loves creamed chipped beef on toast from his shipboard days. I confess a secret fondness for it--only get to eat it once every 4-5 years!

Oh, and aren't the Maxwells ENERGIZING Ft. Smith, Arkansas right now? Who do you think went to on the trip? Not the pregnant ladies and their headships, obviously.

13 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Creamed chipped beef on toast. Buddig-style beef lunch meat in white sauce with a shot off Worchestershire. Add pepper. It's not as gross as you think! I grew up eating it. The US Army WWII/Korea version was utterly disgusting. In the Cheaper By the Dozen sequel Bells on Their Toes they called it C.V.O.T. for Cat Vomit On Toast!   It looks like Cream of Mushroom soup but with reddish stuff instead of mushrooms. If you are a certain age (50 or older) you either love it or hate it. We even learned to cook it in Middle School home ec class!

2 hours ago, VodouDoll said:

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU to whoever linked to the blog reviewing Preparing Sons To Provide For a Single Income Family. This is fascinating stuff. Steve put a lot of himself and his crazy into this book! And it has me feeling really sorry for Christopher. It seems that when the non-reversals were growing up Nathan was the golden child and poor Chris couldn't do anything right.

http://whencowsandkidscollide.blogspot.com/search/label/Preparing Sons to Provide for a single income family

Maybe that's why Christopher turned himself into the "holier" brother.  Even so, they're all insufferable.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, gameofunbeknowns said:

chewing up pickles then spitting it back into a jar and calling it pickle relish).

I know I'm a bit late to this, but WHAT THE FUCK

Steve has a bug up his butt about firstborn sons, and that's why Nathan is preferred over Christopher (probably why Joseph is preferred, too - he was the firstborn of the Reversals).  

I'm not sure why, though, because the Bible makes clear firstborns are important only for ritual reasons and younger sons clearly take leadership roles throughout the Bible. Abel was second born and preferred over Cain. Moses was a younger son and. David was the youngest of 7 sons. Solomon was not the firstborn of David, not by a long stretch. 

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

The US Army WWII/Korea version was utterly disgusting. In the Cheaper By the Dozen sequel Bells on Their Toes they called it C.V.O.T. for Cat Vomit On Toast!

That was the version my dad got.  It had to have been appalling for him to complain about it.

Have we seen? Anna-Marie has had her third girl, Elizabeth Grace. 

Baby already has a headband with giant bow on. *sigh*

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived