IGNORED

Maxwell 18: Creating at Least One Mini-Steve

Coconut Flan

February 19, 2018 at 5:20 pm

We had time to make it one afternoon, and we were going to have it the next day. Something came up that I can’t even remember now, that caused us to push it off another day.

so stuff does happen spontaneusly at the maxwells!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'll do you one better. Creamed tomatoes over bread/toast. My great grandparents never really gave up their depression era cooking. Plus any and all gravies over bread/toast. 

My grandma made creamed tomatoes over saltines. That was some oddly good stuff right there. (I loved my gram and her cooking...thanks for the warm fuzzies.)

According to an old birthday post about John, he supposedly didn't mind eating leftovers.  Poor guy was probably starved half the time so even days old meat looked good to him.

Although it's hard to believe the Maxwells even have any leftovers, what with their skimpy meals.  Remember the 9x13 pan of 7 layer salad for 20+ people at Thanksgiving?

Anyone ever watch Townsends on You Tube.  Its a show that specializes in 18th century cooking.  Quite interesting.

The picture of that casserole made me thank my lucky stars that I adopted a whole food vegan diet about six months ago. And even if I hadn’t, the thought of that casserole might have been enough to make it happen. 

45 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Plus they work out religiously. I honestly don't know how they aren't hungry all the time. 

My bet is they see hunger as virtuous.

Roasting in my oven now:  some tricolor cauliflower and a salmon filet with capers and sliced green olives. I feel damn near decadent.

Seriously I love comparing my food to the Maxwells and its far from gourmet. Tonight i made chicken fajitas and guacomole. We didnt have any tortillas left so the small amount of chicken fajita mix leftover will be on a plate with melted cheese and salsa over it tomorrow for my after workout lunch. Will also probably a slice of pizza from grocery store convenience shop (fricken good pizza) while waiting to pick up my kid from preschool.  Goes without saying but there was no guac leftover. 

So has it been a trend for the newly married Maxwell boy to gain weight in his first year of marriage? Because that wouldn't surprise me at all. 

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So has it been a trend for the newly married Maxwell boy to gain weight in his first year of marriage? Because that wouldn't surprise me at all. 

Not sure but it wouldn't surprise me either. 

I live alone so I often have a pretty odd mix of leftovers in the fridge. I've been known to make some crazy looking & sounding concoctions to use up as much as I could. Some were a success, some, not so much. But, I've never felt the need to share any aspect of the concoctions - except sometimes strange anctidotes - much less take pictures of slop to put on the Internet. 

I also typically eat that way - I make a big roast or chicken or something and eat it throughout the week in different forms. 

The weirdness/grossness of their leftover concoction isn't that it's leftovers combined, it's how they combined them. They could easily have used it up in two different concoctions; what made them think all that stuff together, with cheese & garlic salt, would taste good? 

They have zero creativity and apparently can't use the Internet for ideas either. Cooking sites are huge online; there are some where you can even enter the ingredients you have and they'll help you create something from them. 

Tonight I transformed some leftover roasted chicken and leftover steamed broccoli into a creamy chicken broccoli stew with wild rice. It was really good!

I just realized that the juxtaposition of the Glop Du Jour Casserole and Sarah's death post right before it is....uh...irony, thy name is Maxwell.

Yes, Sarah, be careful because in the blink of an eye you COULD be gone (from rotten pork).  

2 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Anyone ever watch Townsends on You Tube.  Its a show that specializes in 18th century cooking.  Quite interesting.

I got hooked on it recently.  Also started watching "Jenny Can Cook" (Jenny Jones).  She adds a little "soft snark" commentary with some of her videos.

I don't understand that part. Why let it sit for 2 days?  If you've got leftovers you need to use, eat them or freeze them!
They sound like they're making excuses for absentmindedness - 'oh, its fine, it was in the fridge and anyway I MEANT to do it that way!' This is how older and elderly people (who want to be independent but may not know, remember or understand food hygiene rules) get sick or end up being okay with eating week old beans or rotting meat.

5 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

My grandma made creamed tomatoes over saltines. That was some oddly good stuff right there. (I loved my gram and her cooking...thanks for the warm fuzzies.)

You were lucky--my grandmother couldn't cook at all !  I got sick one time on her canned corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes.  When she and my grandfather were first married, she made a prune pie.  Grampa almost lost a tooth because Gramma didn't pit the prunes.

9 minutes ago, purjolok84 said:
11 hours ago, bluelady said:
I don't understand that part. Why let it sit for 2 days?  If you've got leftovers you need to use, eat them or freeze them!

They sound like they're making excuses for absentmindedness - 'oh, its fine, it was in the fridge and anyway I MEANT to do it that way!' This is how older and elderly people (who want to be independent but may not know, remember or understand food hygiene rules) get sick or end up being okay with eating week old beans or rotting meat.

My grandmother passed away in 1996.  When I cleaned out her apartment, there was a container of spaghetti in the fridge dated 1992.  Gramma saved everything from stockings to scrap paper, so food was fair game.

I finally caved and went to Tits 2 to check out the suicide casserole. :martian-disgust: Are those clods of parmesan on top? That would mean it's from a can, since freshly grated parm shouldn't clump like that. Mmm, crusty!

Since all they're accustomed to is prison food, I'm guessing one-sixth of an 8x8 of that was as much as their stomachs could handle before revolting anyway.

28 minutes ago, Granwych said:

You were lucky--my grandmother couldn't cook at all !  I got sick one time on her canned corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes.  When she and my grandfather were first married, she made a prune pie.  Grampa almost lost a tooth because Gramma didn't pit the prunes.

My grandmother passed away in 1996.  When I cleaned out her apartment, there was a container of spaghetti in the fridge dated 1992.  Gramma saved everything from stockings to scrap paper, so food was fair game.

This made me laugh - one of my great-grandmas has come down in the family lore as the most horrible cook in the family (partly because the other great-grandma on that side of the family was the world's BEST cook).  When my grandfather and his siblings were growing up, she had a cook who came to the house every day and left in the afternoon, just like Idella in Driving Miss Daisy.  After their youngest died and the boys were gone...well, let's just say my poor g-gpa had some grim years there before he died.  Her one method of cooking was to boil.  EVERYTHING.  He ate a lot of ice cream.  

This thread is making me laugh so hard. I've had an especially lousy day - thanks for lightening my mood!

Seeing all the old family meals is entertaining, I can remember a typical lunch was rice with cinnamon, sugar, and butter, or cooked macaroni with butter, salt and pepper, or cooked macaroni with a quart jar of home canned stewed tomatoes for flavor.     The meal I hated was about half a pound of pork cut into 1/4 inch cubes, boiled in water with soy sauce, then thickened with cornstarch, throw in 2 or 3 cans of LaChoy bean sprouts and served over rice.  We kids called it Slop Suey.    The bean sprouts made me think of worms and I refused to eat them, so I had slightly flavored gravy over white rice.  In the 60's my mother bought a weeks worth of groceries for a family of 8, and spent a whole $20.   We always had a big garden and canned enough produce to use for meals all winter.  

I always think when I look at what some might call a meal at Chez Maxwell - WHERE ARE THE VEGETABLLLLEEEESSS??? (screaming like Michael Scott in the Office episode where he gives gift baskets - WHERE ARE THE TURTTLLLLEEES?)

I mean seriously - where are they?  They don't even have to be that exotic - make some frozen peas for christ's sake to get some GREEN going!  Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, red and green peppers -  le sigh.  

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'll do you one better. Creamed tomatoes over bread/toast. My great grandparents never really gave up their depression era cooking. Plus any and all gravies over bread/toast. 

I'll see your creamed tomatoes over bread and raise you lard sandwiches with a sprinkling of brown sugar. North Dakota Dust Bowl cuisine at its finest.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived