IGNORED

Maxwell 18: Creating at Least One Mini-Steve

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

He would probably think I'm going to hell, considering what kind of person I am. I don't believe in his religion, or in Christianity in general (:P) but by his idea of religion, I KNOW he's going to hell.

His way of "living" IS hell to me!

I had a very watered down version of his lifestyle as a kid (having to wear a dress on Sundays, no fun activities or even going out to eat or to the park after several hours of church, no 2 piece bathing suits) and I felt that was way too restricting.

I am fascinated by the fact that none of his kids have broken the mold. His family is way more extreme than others, like the Duggars. There is debate about the latest to be married going Off Script, but not one of his offspring have completely cracked (we would know it because there would be an absence of an Extended Family Member that used to be on the blog, and they probably would have their own blog or vlog)

4 minutes ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

My grandmother would cut slices of sharp cheddar and toast it in a pan until softened. Then, she'd slide that baby onto a plate with a biscuit or two. Wow, the flavor of toasted cheddar is so different than uncooked cheddar. Yum!

When I was in Uni I worked in a kitchen with a flatgrill. Some co-workers would sprinkle cheese on their meat while it was cooking, and I noticed the gooey parts than oozed over cooked up really nice. 

I ended up creating a masterpiece consisting of fried cheese, bbq sauce and bacon bits.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Possible Sister, did you father like weird (to me) foods.  He would buy jars of pickled pigs feet or creamed or pickled herring and snack on it with pork rinds.  He love a rye bread sandwich with a 1" slice of limburger cheese and a 1/2 inch slice of white onion inside liberally covered with a coating of salt.  We lived near swampland near a large river, and a there was a trapper who trapped muskrats for their fur and would sell the carcasses.  Dad would boil them up with onions in the water, simmer for hours then pick all the meat off and tried to hide it in stew or hash.   The smell was horrible, and the dark purple meat turned black.   

My dad didn't like to hunt, but when my brothers hunted we sometimes had squirrel and rabbit. No muskrat, although it should taste okay if it was a young female, and it was prepared differently than how your father did it.  You have to remove the musk gland before you do anything else. 

Fun fact: because they live in the water the Catholic church considers muskrats to be "fish". In some parts of the upper Midwest, muskrat suppers during Lent are quite the deal, kind of like how Norwegian-Americans must have their lutefisk supper every year around Christmas time.

But pickled pigs feet and herring--those were pleasures I shared with my father. I still get excited when I walk into a dive bar somewhere and they have a jar of pickled pigs feet sitting there next to the pickled eggs.

12 hours ago, Spanger said:

Anyway, Great Depression Cooking is a great channel, especially for younger cooks, ie college kids/first time apartment dwellers, etc.

I think I'll stick with budgetbytes.com, although recently their casserole pictures have given the Maxwell Mess a run for the money.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

You all will probably learn more about Hot John from this one Bontrager blog post than from 10 years worth of Tits2 postings:

http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/2018/02/life-update-from-john-and-chelsy.html

Wow! Chelsy serves fresh veggibles! That’s one tasty- and healthy-looking meal!

With the disparity between Tits2 and the Bontrager blog concerning John, I’m more convinced than ever that Maxhell is probably quite a bit more palatable than we’ve imagined. Steve’s control of the blog and his family is iron tight, I’m sure, but being that the Maxwells are 100 percent aware of FJ and their business has mightily decreased (1tonramp failed, no need for Uriah due to drastically reduced interest in their conferences) I think they rightly assume that much of their blog traffic comes from those who disagree with them. We only know what Steve wants to show. Minus the Bontragers, Chelsy’s Red engagement dress, her and Johns extreme touching courtship and John’s many weekends spent in Iowa eating delicious food would have never been known.

This is evidenced recently by Chelseas post and delete when someone asked her if she were sure about marrying into the Maxwell family. The Bontrager family is no where near used to the amount of criticism that the Maxwells have endured and it shows. Steve is many things but stupid isn’t one of them.

He knows it’s his critics who peruse his blog and unfortunately for us, his posts reflect it.

21 minutes ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

Steve is many things but stupid isn’t one of them.

I say his biggest thing is being self-righteous, Machiavellian, and Anal with the capital A.

I wrote a "Happy Birthday!" post to little Ben, said nothing offensive at all, and it wasn't included in the humpers' ones.  I foresee a gradual petering out of the Maxhell brand.  There isn't anything interesting or energizing about anything they push.  Give it up, Steve, you probably have the first dollar you made; how about you concentrate on getting those poor daughters married off.

Honestly I'm not surprised that none of the kids have tried to run. Steve has scared them so much about the outside world that I think if they ever were to leave they wouldn't know what to do. 

Looking at the John/Chelsy dinner pic, and considering the Maxwells think an 8x8 pan of yuck is enough for 6 adults, I'd say Stevehovah is have a freaking effing fit over the amount of food pictured. 

In Maxhell world the amount of food pictured is more than enough for 6 adults. Probably enough for 8 adults.

Just a thought on the Stevehovah idea that fun is of the devil.  Wouldn't this extend to people smiling in photos -- because people might assume they were having fun -- so photo smiling would be bad?

Aren't we supposed to seriously contemplating death and where we'll go after death every minute of every day? So if we're seriously thinking about death, we're shouldn't be smiling?

6 hours ago, crawfishgirl said:

I rarely go to the movie theater anymore, but eventually will watch them on Netflix.  I have a family of four, and full price tickets are over $10 now (my kids are teenagers so they no longer get the children's price), and then popcorn and cokes are another $10 a person, so that's around $80 just to watch a movie that will be on Netflix in three months.  I try to hit the matinees and not get popcorn to reduce the price.  Yes, I'm cheap.  We only go for special movies that the family really cannot wait to see, like the Star Wars movies.

We rarely went to the movies when our kids were at home - maybe four times a year. One of those times was always at Christmas. My grandma always sent us some Christmas money and it became tradition to use it for a family movie outing. I DID often buy the popular kids movies on DVD because once they had watched it fourteen times a day it was a better deal than the theater. 

When USMCDAD and I still had cable we'd occasionally rent a movie through the On Demand feature - $4.99 and I could pause it for bathroom breaks. Now that we got rid of cable, we watch Netflix or a couple of British subscription services that we absolutely love. 

I enjoy going to the movies as do my parents. We just don't buy anything at the theater. We went to the movies on a Christmas Day this past year and it was the first time in a few years we went on that day. 

Smiling in photos is good, because you’re supposed to exude joy about serving Jesus. 

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

You all will probably learn more about Hot John from this one Bontrager blog post than from 10 years worth of Tits2 postings:

http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/2018/02/life-update-from-john-and-chelsy.html

Hubba Hubba!  Chelsy looks very nice in that red dress.  No frumper there!

Just now, anjulibai said:

Am I the only one checking a few times a day to see if Anna's had the baby yet? 

Nope, I'm with you. :pb_lol:

On 2/19/2018 at 12:43 AM, Captain Obvious said:

So the Maxwells now share casseroles in 8 x 8 pans among 6 people. And the dish they showed would presumably be served on its own since it also has rice in it. 

Admittedly I am known for always making far too many leftovers, and I'm not very good at imperial measurements, but that looks like the size of pan I'd use for our family of four (2 teens, 2 adults) rather than 6 adults. 

Also, cheese with gravy and rice and scones (biscuits)? Why not pasta with ketchup and yoghurt and waffles - seems as equally random to me. Oh wait, best not give them ideas.

Eight inches is about 20cm. 8 x 8 pans are typically used to make brownies, and maybe cornbread. It has never occured to me to make a casserole in a brownie pan, as they're often called, and there are only two in my family! Every casserole recipe I've seen is written for a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Maxwells are weird and should probably eat more brownies.

Links and bolding for non-American FJers, or the Maxwells

1 hour ago, halcionne said:

Eight inches is about 20cm. 8 x 8 pans are typically used to make brownies, and maybe cornbread. It has never occured to me to make a casserole in a brownie pan, as they're often called, and there are only two in my family! Every casserole recipe I've seen is written for a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Maxwells are weird and should probably eat more brownies.

Links and bolding for non-American FJers, or the Maxwells

Wait.  Brownies can be made in an eight by eight pan?!?  

I am much more...um comfortable...making them in a nine by thirteen. If the mix or recipe calls for eight by eight, I panic and double that nonsense on the spot.  There is no way I...I mean, my family...could surivie on an eight by eight pan of brownies. I mean, what would I eat for breakfast if I used an eight by eight? How long can an eight by eight pan of brownies last? Like, AN HOUR?? 

I've read some scary  stuff on FJ but THIS?? Well, this takes the cake. Heh. 

21 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

I love hearing about food! I love food! Never heard of creamed tomatoes or eggs but they both sound good. My grandparents do a lot of creamed vegetables though. My fave is peas, potatoes and pearl onions. Such good comfort  food. My husband thinks creamed vegetables are utterly bizarre. His mom doesnt even put butter, salt and pepper on vegetables. Like what? Does anyone else have a version of shit on a shingle but made with ground beef instead of dried beef? With onion and a shit ton of black pepper served over mash pot, rice or toast.  Aaahhh my grandpa’s specialty.

My mom loved shit on a shingle. We grew up with it. One of the pluses was we learned how to make a decent white sauce. When my mom married my 1st step-dad she decided she would learn how to cook like an European. We had all sorts of exotic (to my midwestern tastes) things like cassoulet, seafood lasagne, and coq au vin. 
My real dad loved limburger with onion on white bread. Stunk the whole kitchen up. 

2 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Now that we got rid of cable, we watch Netflix or a couple of British subscription services that we absolutely love. 

I would love to hear which ones you suggest, if you'd be so kind. :pb_biggrin:

4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Looking at the John/Chelsy dinner pic, and considering the Maxwells think an 8x8 pan of yuck is enough for 6 adults, I'd say Stevehovah is have a freaking effing fit over the amount of food pictured. 

In Maxhell world the amount of food pictured is more than enough for 6 adults. Probably enough for 8 adults.

Just a thought on the Stevehovah idea that fun is of the devil.  Wouldn't this extend to people smiling in photos -- because people might assume they were having fun -- so photo smiling would be bad?

Aren't we supposed to seriously contemplating death and where we'll go after death every minute of every day? So if we're seriously thinking about death, we're shouldn't be smiling?

Who needs a hair shirt and a whip for self-flagellating if you have Stevehovah directing your life?  I might go so far as to say that the Maxwells can't bloody well wait to die, since they obviously know where they're going.

21 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I would love to hear which ones you suggest, if you'd be so kind. :pb_biggrin:

We subscribe to Acorn TV, which is $6.99 a month; and BritBox, which is $4.99 a month. We have found several excelellent shows on Acorn. I think we've watched two on BritBox (one two-part show and one eight-part series, I think) but we have only had it for about a month. 

It’s funny. You’d think, with a shared language, the UK and the US would have quite a lot in common. I suppose we do in a way, but there are also so many differences! Things like biscuits and gravy, shit on a shingle and cornbread just aren’t things people here eat. Cornbread in particular sounds great, and thankfully I can google and find recipes using British measurements (ie not cups of everything). 

Every year for New Year’s Day my family does a themed get-together, so a historical theme or a country etc. One year we had American (yeah, pretty generic). I discovered things like marshmallow fluff (quite nice between two bits of brownie) and boxed mac and cheese (nasty-ass plastic stuff). We bought the stuff from an American section in a department store. 

On 2/21/2018 at 3:19 PM, jiggleromp said:

My husband never gets sick from bad food.  It must be from the fact his mom would cook dinner in the morning and put the food on the kitchen table...where it would sit out for 24 hours.  You would just kinda graze on the food throughout the day.

I do my best to avoid all food cooked by his mom.

Oh wow.  One of my few approved non-fundie friends growing up had a mom who would do this. This is the only other time I've ever heard of it, though. I used to bring cheese sandwiches over to my friends house and we'd eat in her room because we were a little weirded out by the pot of whatever sitting out on the table.

4 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

It’s funny. You’d think, with a shared language, the UK and the US would have quite a lot in common. I suppose we do in a way, but there are also so many differences! Things like biscuits and gravy, shit on a shingle and cornbread just aren’t things people here eat. Cornbread in particular sounds great, and thankfully I can google and find recipes using British measurements (ie not cups of everything). 

Every year for New Year’s Day my family does a themed get-together, so a historical theme or a country etc. One year we had American (yeah, pretty generic). I discovered things like marshmallow fluff (quite nice between two bits of brownie) and boxed mac and cheese (nasty-ass plastic stuff). We bought the stuff from an American section in a department store. 

We had some neighbors that moved here from England for a two year work assignment. Thy became the dearest of friends and we miss them terribly now that they have gone home; but we have loved our two visits to England to visit them. She, particularly, could not understand the American love of the chocolate/peanut butter combination.  They did, however, embrace the Oreo which, at that time was hard to find in the U.K.  

Sorry, but I could never get past the first bite of anything with Marmite. But, boxed macaroni and cheese - Kraft brand?? HEAVEN!!!

I make creamed tuna fish on toast, make the white sauce, add 1 or 2 cans of drained tuna, cooked frozen peas, and some cheddar cheese, over buttered toast.  But, I still love me some SOS. - creamed chip beef on toast, has to be made with the name brand beef that comes in the little glass jar.   

I would like to thank our British sisteren and brethren for beans on toast. I love me some beans on toast. Bless you people.

16 minutes ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

I make creamed tuna fish on toast, make the white sauce, add 1 or 2 cans of drained tuna, cooked frozen peas, and some cheddar cheese, over buttered toast.  But, I still love me some SOS. - creamed chip beef on toast, has to be made with the name brand beef that comes in the little glass jar.   

I make something similar--tuna, boxed mac and cheese, and frozen peas mixed together. Tastes like poverty--delicious!

Just now, scoutsadie said:

I would like to thank our British sisteren and brethren for beans on toast. I love me some beans on toast. Bless you people.

For background, my father is from the UK. One day my ex-sister-in-law called me and asked me how to make beans on toast. I'm like "do you have some beans?" "do you know how to make toast?" "Put the beans on the toast."

She was never the brightest star in the sky.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived