IGNORED

Cast iron -seasoning and stripping

PennySycamore

I have two small cast iron skillets I inherited from my mom.  I'd  scrubbed the rust off and successfully re-seasoned them with a very thin coat of flaxseed baked for an hour at 500F.   I did this 6 times.  Or so I thought.  My daughter cooked scrambled eggs in July in the bigger skillet and them plunged the skillet with egg stuck all over the insides in a sink full of hot soapy water.  I got the skillet out of the water and scrubbed the egg off with kosher salt and dried it before storing it.  Not long after this happened, I noticed that the seasoning was flaking off the skillets.  Now I need to go back to square one and re-strip and re-season.  

What method do others find works for stripping and them re-seasoning cast iron?  I've read a ton of different stuff: various oils/fats and various temperatures and times for seasoning and various methods of stripping the old seasoning off.

I use peanut oil to season my iron skillets. It works for me. I also add a little bit of oil any time I cook eggs.

Archived