IGNORED

Joy and Austin 17: Staying Off the Internet

Coconut Flan

Its possible that even if they knew they were in the wrong size (if they are, I honestly can't tell) they wouldn't go get new bras.  I keep putting off getting fitted again because I'm still nursing and they are changing.  Then we are likely to have a second one, so why spend the money on a nice bra that will fit for a month?  

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Marly said:

Genuine question: what is the difference between DD and E?
I'm Dutch, and I've never seen a bra sized DD before. No other double letters either. D is followed by E, E by F, and so forth. The double letters have always confused me.

I think the double (and triple) letters are a North American thing, and it seems to happen once the sizes hit D. I'm Canadian, but use the same sizing as many European bra companies when making my bras because it makes more sense. One letter for every inch difference between the band and full bust measurement.

19 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Underwires are the work of the devil. 

Yes!   If they can build the Brooklyn Bridge and other bridges for heavy duty traffic to stand the test of time they should be able to construct a bra to hold up these DD girls

Walking into a Bravissimo store in Scotland on a whim and trying on my forever after bra was truly a life altering experience. I can not imagine a life with out my dear, ugly and amazing Fantasie bras ♥ 

11 hours ago, Marly said:

Genuine question: what is the difference between DD and E?
I'm Dutch, and I've never seen a bra sized DD before. No other double letters either. D is followed by E, E by F, and so forth. The double letters have always confused me.

DD is the American version of an E cup. I have no idea why they doubled the letters instead of just carrying on down the alphabet. I also don't understand why the band sizing on American bras seems bigger than some of the European brands. I almost always take a 36E in European sizes and a 38D/DD in American brands. I don't get it. Since I don't get out shopping much and do 90% of my shopping online, I usually just stick with the European brands because the sizing seems more consistent across the brands. 

1 hour ago, Thorns said:

Walking into a Bravissimo store in Scotland on a whim and trying on my forever after bra was truly a life altering experience. I can not imagine a life with out my dear, ugly and amazing Fantasie bras ♥ 

It's so good to know that some people find the right bra. Maybe one day I will get enough confidence and or guts ( and money!)  to venture in a store to get myself sorted.  

9 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

It's so good to know that some people find the right bra. Maybe one day I will get enough confidence and or guts ( and money!)  to venture in a store to get myself sorted.  

Fingers crossed! I find that I spend less money on bras now. I've gotten picky :P And I've gotten better at guessing what will fit and work for me, so that I can branch out a little on the online sales. 30F to 30G well constructed bras is almost not to be  found in stores here, so I have to buy online. If you are US based Bravissimo does have an online store, and a chat function, maybe that could work for you? :)

On 12/28/2017 at 7:04 PM, MathQueen said:

Long time lurker, new to posting. I also wear a 32DD and have found the best fit with Wacoal bras. A quick check of their website shows they have some bras that go up to a G cup. They are pricey, but they last a long time and are super comfortable. I do take special care with them, either hand-washing or using the delicate cycle in a lingerie bag. I found my first ones at a department store sale and bought several. I actually love their underwire bras! I am petite and short-waisted (the whole discussion about Joy and looking “so far along” resonates with me!), and I like the way I look and feel in them. Not everyone does, I know, but Wacoal has a wide variety of types. Hope this helps.

The ones I’ve bought off amazon must all be factory rejects, because I’ve bought two or three Wacoals, and each and every one fit horribly, with bands that didn’t measure anywhere near what they were marked. We’re talking supposed 32s that measured 27 inches around levels of bad sizing. I’m never trying one again. 

On 12/28/2017 at 4:28 AM, Jug Band Baby said:

A racist bitch I went to high school with named her daughter Aryan.  She has the gall to say she's not racist while calling black people the N-word and Mexican people "beaners" and Sheiks  "Muslim ragheads" (double face-palm on that one).  She's not racist, you see.  She's just defending white culture and had pride in being white.  White pride, y'all!  Because it's so tough being white, y'all.  So tough.

Honey, that there is HERITAGE, it ain't HATE. 

(this is legitimately the mindset of people around here, it's killing me)

53 minutes ago, justodd said:

The ones I’ve bought off amazon must all be factory rejects, because I’ve bought two or three Wacoals, and each and every one fit horribly, with bands that didn’t measure anywhere near what they were marked. We’re talking supposed 32s that measured 27 inches around levels of bad sizing. I’m never trying one again. 

That reminds me of when I found a bra my size that had been marked down multiple times, and ended up being $5. I was so excited. Then the band was definitely too short and the cups were too small. Factory reject or labeled the incorrect size at the factory? Or just sucky company? I forget the brand.

So sorry that you had a bad experience. I’ve only purchased from the Wacoal website or at a department store. Thanks for sharing your experience with buying them on Amazon. I’ll avoid it, for sure.

I have 3 Walcols.  One I’m not in love with.  2 are Vintage Bras (the name of the style)and for me they are perfect (I was properly fitted in a department store and the fitter was awesome one year ago at a 38DDD - or I could have gone down to a 36G, I went with the 38 because I like to breathe).  Granted I don’t mind the seam in the middle of the bra or the lack of padding.  I’ve lost a bit more weight in the last 12 months and I still I lose more I’ll have to go in and get fitted again.  

A couple of years ago I found some manguun bras(34B) without underwires in them. I absolutely love them and won't buy anything else again. The comfort for me is great, they fit perfectly and I bought four of them in different colours right away.  It took me about more than 10 years of bra shopping and wearing bras that did not fit or were uncomfortable until I finally found the perfect one for me. With bras I like to stay in my comfort zone!:tw_blush:

Larger woman; 44D, and I love the Cacique bras, which have underwire, from Lane Bryant. They support, they don't poke, they don't break, at least for three years of wear... and they satisfy my "cute" quota, which is admittedly low, but there.

48 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Larger woman; 44D, and I love the Cacique bras, which have underwire, from Lane Bryant. They support, they don't poke, they don't break, at least for three years of wear... and they satisfy my "cute" quota, which is admittedly low, but there.

I absolutely love Cacique cotton bras, they are all I wear. (42 DDD here). I don't wear the underwire versions though. They indeed support well and are excellent quality. I stock up during the annual buy two get two free sale, so the price is awesome.

Since we are talking about bras, perhaps I can ask a question?   I went and was fitted once, and after many tries we got one that worked with the girls....however I hate where the band is on the back.  I was told I am wearing them wrong, which I am sure I am, but is there a bra out there that would work? 

Hard to describe, I guess it is you are suppose to wear your bra level _____  but I like the band at the back to slope down a good couple inches __----.

I love this conversation. 

I followed the Reddit link a few pages back and apparently I’m wearing completely the wrong size of bra. But the size it is suggesting (30DD, 32D) is nowhere to be found, and thus far I’ve always bought 34B/C/D depending on the brand and they sort of fit. Some fit really well, in fact. My most favorite bra is a 34B from Aerie. 

Now question to more experienced bra shoppers: what is the difference between a bra that kind of fits and a bra that fits? In other words, how do I know whether my bras fit badly? Which issues should I be looking for? 

And next, which places in Europe do bra-fittings and also sell properly sized non-plus size/petite size bras? I‘d be really happy about any recommendation where I could try a 30DD or 32D and see if that would fit. 

9 hours ago, jiggleromp said:

Since we are talking about bras, perhaps I can ask a question?   I went and was fitted once, and after many tries we got one that worked with the girls....however I hate where the band is on the back.  I was told I am wearing them wrong, which I am sure I am, but is there a bra out there that would work? 

Hard to describe, I guess it is you are suppose to wear your bra level _____  but I like the band at the back to slope down a good couple inches __----.

Have you tried wearing a longline bra? They have a thicker band that comes down further and in my opinion are way more comfortable than regular banded bras. For a bra to offer the best support, the back of the band needs to be level with the front 

48 minutes ago, FundieCentral said:

I followed the Reddit link a few pages back and apparently I’m wearing completely the wrong size of bra. But the size it is suggesting (30DD, 32D) is nowhere to be found, and thus far I’ve always bought 34B/C/D depending on the brand and they sort of fit. Some fit really well, in fact. My most favorite bra is a 34B from Aerie. 

Now question to more experienced bra shoppers: what is the difference between a bra that kind of fits and a bra that fits? In other words, how do I know whether my bras fit badly? Which issues should I be looking for? 

And next, which places in Europe do bra-fittings and also sell properly sized non-plus size/petite size bras? I‘d be really happy about any recommendation where I could try a 30DD or 32D and see if that would fit. 

I’ve worked in the lingerie department of a store and also trained to do bra fittings. 

If a bra fits you badly; 

-the front of the band between the two cups won’t sit against your skin (for a bra to be a good fit this part of the band needs to be flat against the skin) 

- the cups are either cutting your boob in half and it appears you are ‘spilling’ out of it or there is a gape between the breast and the cup 

- the band rides up or down at the back (it should stay where you put it if it fits well) 

I buy all my bras from Marks and Spencer (British Brand) and they’ve never let me down with sizing! Also I find that although Debenhams own brand bras don’t fit great the other brands they sell do (Fantasie; Triumph; Gorgeous). Also people used to come in asking and raving about Freya bras which we didn’t sell on store so I’m guessing they’re a decent bra 

1 hour ago, FundieCentral said:

I would recommend Bravissimo, which has  stores in some UK cities. 

52 minutes ago, Thorns said:

I would recommend Bravissimo, which has  stores in some UK cities. 

And if you can't get to a lingerie shop, the big department stores usually do fittings also

Do you have Victoria's Secret in the UK? I don't recall having seen one, but I've also never really gone looking for a VS while I'm over there. They do fittings, too. After my double mastectomy, I was fitted for a bra at a respected bra shop (the old woman brought out a huge white grandma monstrosity), so I went to VS and got fitted for a bra and it was decent - with reconstructed "boobs" there are differences in the way bras fit. Reconstructed tissue has no "sag" at all, and a more flattened -- rather than "pointy" -- projection. (Looking down, I see more of this --  -- instead of this ^  ^. Hard to explain, really.

Anyway - I have one bra that I only wear when I'm wearing something light-colored or extremely sheer. I'm technically a 34D/36C, but since my "boobs" (I use that term instead of breasts because they're NOT breasts!) are nothing but skin & implants, a bra is not necessary for support. The boobs look good under clothing, which is the sole goal of reconstruction. I had fake "nips" added, along with tattooed "areolae," but they're still just not normal looking. Side note - implants have to be replaced every ten years, so I'm looking at another surgery sometime in 2018. Cancer is the 'gift' that just keeps on 'giving.'

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Do you have Victoria's Secret in the UK? I don't recall having seen one, but I've also never really gone looking for a VS while I'm over there. 

Yes we have Victoria's Secret, it is not as popular as in the US but there is definitely stores in some major cities. I have walked past the Glasgow store plenty of times but have yet to go in.

I'm a size 38J and bra shopping is hard and cracy expensive, I have bought bras from Bravissimo and used to get them from Debenhams but the last few times the wires have started popping out after a times wearing them. I would love to be like my mum and sister and be able to buy bras from M and S or Primark at a fraction of the price. Sports bras are even more annoying to get.

4 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Primark at a fraction of the price.

I LOVE PRIMARK SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!

So, I did the bra that fits quiz, and it gave me and 36F!! don't think that is right, my 36D's fit right, so what gives there??

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived