IGNORED

Joy and Austin 17: Staying Off the Internet

Coconut Flan

We don't have any reason to believe that the girls aren't getting prenatal care. Seeing as they view the act of birthing their husbands' babies as being the most important thing in their entire lives, I'd be surprised if they were so laissez-faire as to not get prenatal care.

Assuming you're all correct, though, I hope Austin's sister (who has had a kiddo) got prenatal care and can encourage Joy to do so as well, since Joy would likely take her advice.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel for Joy having so long to go in her pregnancy. I was huge, hot, and miserable by the time I gave birth. I am shorter than her and short waisted so I was huge at full term. It took a long time to show but once I did it seemed like I exploded over night. I definitely did not have a huge baby. I shudder to think how it would have felt to carry a large baby. 

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Lets hope Austin has more brains than Derrick, Ben, Josh etc... in allowing their wives to pick and choose where and how to deliver their babies.  But these folks have never done what we hopped they didn't yet so... :5624798e9d94f_No-clue-man-no-clue-shurg:

The crumbs in my toaster have more brains than Derick. Ben, while I can't stand his politics, seems to be capable and willing to learn.

16 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think it is the general assumption since so far neither Anna, Jill or Jessa has had any prenatal care aside from with Mac. 

Well that’s not true is it? Didn’t we see Jessa got to her midwife’s/ob’s practice to get a check up and find out the gender? The camera crew got kicked out.  

20 minutes ago, GeoBQn said:

Do stores with bras offer fittings that are actually good?  I went for a fitting one time, at a small chain store (not Victoria's Secret) where the staff was friendly.  The results were that I was exactly in between cup and band sizes.  I had to try on literally every style of bra in the store, in multiple sizes, to find one that fit me comfortably.  I found the experience exhausting and embarrassing.

Head on over to https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/

Their fit guide is SO GOOD and SO USER FRIENDLY that they eventually had to get lawyers involved because bra companies were trying to steal it.  Plus, you can do it from the comfort of your own home.  

It takes a bit of reading, but what you will find is that bra fit is SO much more than just cup size.  SHAPE is also a key factor in fit, along with several other concerns. But once you find your ACTUAL fit, your life will be changed forever.  Seriously.  

And also your bras will probably be cheaper :) They often recommend great bras that are half the price of the ones in chain stores. 

That’s the point: We don’t actually know for an incontrovertible fact they those women are shunning prenatal care and there is no real reason to think they are.We don’t  see their   Day to Day lives.

13 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

Well that’s not true is it? Didn’t we see Jessa got to her midwife’s/ob’s practice to get a check up and find out the gender? The camera crew got kicked out.  

That wasn't an OB's office it was one of those u/s places that you pay cash for to get the gender u/s.  They have lay midwifeves attend their births, that midwife isn't a CNMW who has REAL MEDICAL training and knows what to do in an emergency, aside from scurry out the backdoor before the cops show up.

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Their fit guide is SO GOOD and SO USER FRIENDLY that they eventually had to get lawyers involved because bra companies were trying to steal it.  Plus, you can do it from the comfort of your own home.  

It takes a bit of reading, but what you will find is that bra fit is SO much more than just cup size.  SHAPE is also a key factor in fit, along with several other concerns. But once you find your ACTUAL fit, your life will be changed forever.  Seriously.  

And also your bras will probably be cheaper :) They often recommend great bras that are half the price of the ones in chain stores. 

A good bra is so hard to find. It shouldn't be so hard...and at times expensive.

I just want to give some possibly dissenting bra advice: if you’re comfortable in the bra you’re wearing, don’t question it. Don’t let anyone try to convince you that ‘all women’ are wearing the wrong size of bra. It happened to me and I wasted way too much time and energy trying to find my ‘true’ bra size when I had actually been wearing the right size all along! 

3 hours ago, Georgiana said:

As a lingerie maker, I really appreciate this bit of boob geekery. I've been using the method of measuring the underbust (ribcage), and subtracting it from the full bust measurement. Each inch difference represents a cup size. So far it's working out with my long distance clients.

The type of bra definitely changes the sizing of it, and not all breasts work with all types of bras. My best friend wears a 48H, and struggles because she can only find super full coverage bras in her size, which dig in between her breasts. Plus that style makes it hard to wear a shirt cut below the collarbone without the bra showing, and looks really matronly.

I recently took a peek in La Senza for myself, and was thoroughly disappointed at the sizes available. It was hard finding anything bigger than a D, and their bras already fit small. I praise Rufus every day for my ability to make bras, and definitely need to make myself a few more over this holiday season.

3 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

As a lingerie maker, I really appreciate this bit of boob geekery. I've been using the method of measuring the underbust (ribcage), and subtracting it from the full bust measurement. Each inch difference represents a cup size. So far it's working out with my long distance clients.

The type of bra definitely changes the sizing of it, and not all breasts work with all types of bras. My best friend wears a 48H, and struggles because she can only find super full coverage bras in her size, which dig in between her breasts. Plus that style makes it hard to wear a shirt cut below the collarbone without the bra showing, and looks really matronly.

I recently took a peek in La Senza for myself, and was thoroughly disappointed at the sizes available. It was hard finding anything bigger than a D, and their bras already fit small. I praise Rufus every day for my ability to make bras, and definitely need to make myself a few more over this holiday season.

Okay, I can't find the fit guide, help?  Somehow reddit gets confusing because I'm being stupid. . .

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

As a lingerie maker, I really appreciate this bit of boob geekery. *Snip*

And suddenly your username makes all the sense in the world.:my_smile:

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I just want to give some possibly dissenting bra advice: if you’re comfortable in the bra you’re wearing, don’t question it. Don’t let anyone try to convince you that ‘all women’ are wearing the wrong size of bra. It happened to me and I wasted way too much time and energy trying to find my ‘true’ bra size when I had actually been wearing the right size all along! 

Thank you! Exactly this. After i went through breast cancer the best bra  found that fit me and was comfortable was a sports bra. 

Sadly the local Walmart don't carry the type anymore. I literally cried. 

Yeah, whenever anyone measures me with only the ribcage-armpit-measurement, I end up with somewhere between a B and a C cup. I'm a DD. If anyone tries to measure you that way, run far, far in the opposite direction. Also, apparently a 32DD is a size that does not exist, therefore should not be carried in mainstream department stores (except Victoria's Secret). Obviously if you're above a C, your ribcage must be above 36 inches, no matter what. :pb_rollseyes: Never mind the fact that people have variety in their shapes and measurements. I hate bra shopping with the burning passion of a thousand fiery hells. All the Duggar girls should get proper fitting bras because that, for me at least, was a more religious experience than any church sermon. My testimony is to the one Victoria's Secret fitter who actually knew what she was doing. Jesus smiles on you, Ruby, you have a servant's heart.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

As a lingerie maker

Ooooh!! That's awesome. And I'm suddenly attempted to inquire about Harry Potte lingerie...

17 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

Yeah, whenever anyone measures me with only the ribcage-armpit-measurement, I end up with somewhere between a B and a C cup. I'm a DD. If anyone tries to measure you that way, run far, far in the opposite direction. Also, apparently a 32DD is a size that does not exist, therefore should not be carried in mainstream department stores (except Victoria's Secret). Obviously if you're above a C, your ribcage must be above 36 inches, no matter what. :pb_rollseyes: Never mind the fact that people have variety in their shapes and measurements. I hate bra shopping with the burning passion of a thousand fiery hells. All the Duggar girls should get proper fitting bras because that, for me at least, was a more religious experience than any church sermon. My testimony is to the one Victoria's Secret fitter who actually knew what she was doing. Jesus smiles on you, Ruby, you have a servant's heart.

Yes, and all women have ribcages between 32-38 inches. No more, no less. I have such limited places where I can go bra shopping, and such a limited selection when I go. 

I should tell my friend that sized me and introduced me to the wonders of having a bra your size, not just the "sister size," has a servants heart. She might look at me like I've lost my mind though.

ETA: My go-to now is Betsey Johnson, since she has a lager variety of band sizes. I just tried to go to her site to see holiday sales and discovered there is a senator named Betsy Johnson. I was very confused.

ETA again: And dammit, went to her site and don't see my size anymore... :( 

5 hours ago, Georgiana said:

That's not really my experience with costs. A REALLY good bra fitting place is small and sells brands that are hard to find and often European. A good bra for me runs around $100 without blinking an eye, but I am a 36E and it is totally worth it as has saved my life, made my back pain better and my clothes fit better. I haven't found the boutique bra places to be cheaper AT ALL, it's the exact opposite actually and for most people it seems to be a mental thing to fork over that much $. But if you take good care of the bras - always wash by hand and never, ever put in dryer, they can last a long time.

Hmmm... Harry Potter Lingerie. I'm sure it could be done. I made an blue and orange bullet bra for a Denver Broncos fan, I could do the same type of thing using house colours for bras.

My current sewing project is making stripper costmes for myself. Life is short, and I'm sick of living paycheque to paycheque.

For any of you extra-busty gals with a band size of 34 or higher, get thee to Amazon and look up Delimira. Their strapless bras are garbage, but the lacy ones are cute, comfortable, and cheap. I’ve just lost enough weight that I’m down from a 34H to a 32, and was very sad to see they don’t offer that band size. Finding replacements has been not been fun. :(

6 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

A good bra is so hard to find. It shouldn't be so hard...and at times expensive.

My daughter is heavily endowed and finally broke down and went to this highly recommended shop in Houston. She found some great choices that were comfortable and made her look perky again but when she mentioned needing to start looking for a new swimsuit the woman told her that she should come look at their suits as most of the "pole dancers" came to get theirs at this place. To this day we pick at her about it.

8 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

That’s the point: We don’t actually know for an incontrovertible fact they those women are shunning prenatal care and there is no real reason to think they are.We don’t  see their   Day to Day lives.

We don’t see their day to day lives but we have seen them at the dentist, Michelle at the dr for her pregnancies, and Dwreck puking. It would be logical that they would show us them going to the OB. We saw Jill go to a lay midwife once and we saw her say her husband was doing her check up. We have seen them go to boutique ultra sounds but nothing medical. We have seen Jill listen to the heartbeat on jessa. Again if they were showing all of that why wouldn’t they show us them going for prenatal care? 

51 minutes ago, sansan said:

My daughter is heavily endowed and finally broke down and went to this highly recommended shop in Houston. She found some great choices that were comfortable and made her look perky again but when she mentioned needing to start looking for a new swimsuit the woman told her that she should come look at their suits as most of the "pole dancers" came to get theirs at this place. To this day we pick at her about it.

It's good she found some that were comfortable and look perky again, always a good thing. I will never look perky again, and my  bras that I do own, are not very comfortable anymore. 

I found my beloved sports bras on Amazon, but drat I can't order from there. And I would feel very embarrassed by going to an actual lingerie store. My confidence has taken such a dip in the last few years. :my_sad:

Sorry if TMI. 

27 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

We don’t see their day to day lives but we have seen them at the dentist, Michelle at the dr for her pregnancies, and Dwreck puking. It would be logical that they would show us them going to the OB. We saw Jill go to a lay midwife once and we saw her say her husband was doing her check up. We have seen them go to boutique ultra sounds but nothing medical. We have seen Jill listen to the heartbeat on jessa. Again if they were showing all of that why wouldn’t they show us them going for prenatal care? 

Going for prenatal care and showing it is too much common sense maybe? I'd feel much more at ease if it was shown. I hope Joy has her baby in hospital, and she has prenatal care. 

No evidence the girls are skipping out on prenatal care?!  What doctor would have cleared Jill (and her toddler) to go to Central America with the Zika outbreak? Or allowed her to labor for 70 hours? Or labor for 40 while trying for a VBAC?

Maybe she has quality prenatal care, but she sure isn't LISTENING to that prenatal care.

I didn't get the impression that anyone here recommending a good, supportive bra for nursing mothers was suggesting they do it for anything other than their own comfort.  Looking perky is great if that's what you want, but assuaging back and breast pain is really important.

I was sized once and would have had to special order my size without trying it on, so I've been wearing sports bras exclusively for about 7 years.  Maybe one day... I do hate how they look in pictures but I'm lucky enough not to have much back pain.  My husband couldn't give two shits how my breasts look when I'm out and about as long as I'm happy.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived