IGNORED

Hollywood's Next Creep

Rachel333

Okay, that explains it. I mean, Dayton, when in the US Senate, once paid for seniors to go to Canada to get cheaper prescriptions, so I was super confused at the idea of him being a republican.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I’ve heard/read a lot of comments that the women Franken assaulted should just “get over it” for the sake of the party and the greater good. To which I say, fuck that. Women have been told to put up and shut up and not make waves for the supposed “greater good” for centuries, and that bullshit has to change. Its wrong if a Republican does it, take wrong if a Democrat does it; its wrong if the president does it, its wrong if a street sweeper does it. It’s wrong. To be honest,  changed my view of some people in my life. 

ETA: Sorry about the language, but nothing makes me Hulk-rage like suggesting that women keep quiet, right when it’s becoming more socially acceptable to talk about sexual assault. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I feel so bad for Dylan. I believe her claims, but even if I didn’t I’d still feel bad for her being at the center of such a public custody dispute in that way. At the very least she has a very supportive mother and her brother, Rowan, has been incredibly supportive of her as well. 

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen Woody’s films. I do make an effort to avoid seeing movies that I know he has worked on though. Guy is creepy enough with how his relationship with Soon-Yi began - Dylan’s accusations just make it that much worse. 

I believe her. And I think I saw part of a Woody Allen movie once as a kid or teen. I had to leave the room because it was too creepy to handle. I avoid his movies and anything he's involved in as well. I remember recently there was some amazon prime series or something I thought sounded interesting, then I saw he was involved. Nope. No longer interested.

And yes, that relationship is creepy beyond belief. Based on that alone I think people in Hollywood should distance themselves from him. Being that my family has an inappropriate sense of humor, I once told my dad that Woody Allen creeps me out. He told me, "Don't worry, he already has a daughter." But this also highlights that everyone knows he's a fucking creep, but he gets away with it.

Speaking of garbage famous men getting away with shit: I'm also pissed that Mel Gibson is in some new stupid movie, and Chris Brown is being played on the radio again. That makes me scared that all these men who are rightfully losing their jobs due to sexual assault will be back.

And this is a couple weeks old, but Lena Dunham continues to be a trash person. This talks about her racism in believing her good friend Miller over a black woman:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/21/16679078/lena-dunham-accused-woman-lying-rape-murray-miller-aurora-perrineau

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I believe her. And I think I saw part of a Woody Allen movie once as a kid or teen. I had to leave the room because it was too creepy to handle. I avoid his movies and anything he's involved in as well. I remember recently there was some amazon prime series or something I thought sounded interesting, then I saw he was involved. Nope. No longer interested.

And yes, that relationship is creepy beyond belief. Based on that alone I think people in Hollywood should distance themselves from him. Being that my family has an inappropriate sense of humor, I once told my dad that Woody Allen creeps me out. He told me, "Don't worry, he already has a daughter." But this also highlights that everyone knows he's a fucking creep, but he gets away with it.

Speaking of garbage famous men getting away with shit: I'm also pissed that Mel Gibson is in some new stupid movie, and Chris Brown is being played on the radio again. That makes me scared that all these men who are rightfully losing their jobs due to sexual assault will be back.

And this is a couple weeks old, but Lena Dunham continues to be a trash person. This talks about her racism in believing her good friend Miller over a black woman:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/21/16679078/lena-dunham-accused-woman-lying-rape-murray-miller-aurora-perrineau

Lena is also currently claiming that she informed the Clinton campaign about Harvey Weinstein being a rapist. It’s totally possibly she did, but I find it so convenient that she’s saying this right after the backlash she sparked by siding with Miller. 

As for garbage abusers getting their jobs back... It does bother me when someone shows no remorse and is allowed back into a position of power. Everyone has a right to make a living and provide for themselves and their family, but it really rubs me the wrong way when an unrepentant abuser is rewarded with a job that generates a disgusting amount of money or power. 

• Upvote 5

@VelociRapture I find it convenient timing as well. She's probably noticed that people are less willing to forgive her after she does something awful and has to apologize for it. She's been awful and racist too many times, and the article I posted documents some of her problematic shit. 

Exactly. And someone who beats their girlfriend or is unapologetically so super fucking anti-Semitic he makes a movie about it shouldn't be welcomed back into the industry with open arms and continue to make shit tons of money. Seriously. After Passion of the Christ came out one of my classmates wouldn't shut up about how I killed Jesus. I managed to get him to shut up eventually (by apologizing and promising never to do it again, lol), but I regret not telling my teacher. Because not only did she really like me but she was also Jewish. So someone would have taught him his behavior was not okay.

If someone is a bag of shit, rather than getting a job with power and tons of money, they should have some of the world's worst jobs. Like unclogging sewers.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@VelociRapture I find it convenient timing as well. She's probably noticed that people are less willing to forgive her after she does something awful and has to apologize for it. She's been awful and racist too many times, and the article I posted documents some of her problematic shit. 

Exactly. And someone who beats their girlfriend or is unapologetically so super fucking anti-Semitic he makes a movie about it shouldn't be welcomed back into the industry with open arms and continue to make shit tons of money. Seriously. After Passion of the Christ came out one of my classmates wouldn't shut up about how I killed Jesus. I managed to get him to shut up eventually (by apologizing and promising never to do it again, lol), but I regret not telling my teacher. Because not only did she really like me but she was also Jewish. So someone would have taught him his behavior was not okay.

If someone is a bag of shit, rather than getting a job with power and tons of money, they should have some of the world's worst jobs. Like unclogging sewers.

... did your classmate look like this?

ECC9B07B-B669-4CE7-A1FA-E2E7134EE285.jpeg.eda80f32fea2adec744bee9e33b6f8b9.jpeg

ETA: Kathryn Rossetter (an actress) has accused Dustin Hoffman of sexual harassment and sexual assault on the set of the play Death of a Salesman

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I believe her. And I think I saw part of a Woody Allen movie once as a kid or teen. I had to leave the room because it was too creepy to handle.

Was it Manhattan? A movie about a 44 year old Woody Allen dating a SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD Muriel Hemingway?? Ya know, totally a normal film for a middle-aged man to write and direct and include kissing scenes in?

Also, I heard Muriel Hemingway in an interview on a podcast a few years ago and they were asking her about how Allen acted on set (they were all alluding to what a creep he is, but it was in a light hearted "ha ha") way. The interviewer asked her, "So was he totally in love with you?" Her [long pause] "...yeah. He had a crush." [giggles]. 

That's really stuck with me all these years. It's so obvious he's a disgusting, very sick man.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

... did your classmate look like this?

ECC9B07B-B669-4CE7-A1FA-E2E7134EE285.jpeg.eda80f32fea2adec744bee9e33b6f8b9.jpeg

ETA: Kathryn Rossetter (an actress) has accused Dustin Hoffman of sexual harassment and sexual assault on the set of the play Death of a Salesman

Same level of intelligence.

John Oliver recently grilled Hoffman on the sexual assault allegations.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/12/05/john_oliver_grilled_dustin_hoffman_over_sexual_harassment_allegations_video.html

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Was it Manhattan? A movie about a 44 year old Woody Allen dating a SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD Muriel Hemingway?? Ya know, totally a normal film for a middle-aged man to write and direct and include kissing scenes in?

Also, I heard Muriel Hemingway in an interview on a podcast a few years ago and they were asking her about how Allen acted on set (they were all alluding to what a creep he is, but it was in a light hearted "ha ha") way. The interviewer asked her, "So was he totally in love with you?" Her [long pause] "...yeah. He had a crush." [giggles]. 

That's really stuck with me all these years. It's so obvious he's a disgusting, very sick man.

That's super fucking creepy. I believe it was Sleeper. I don't remember what it was about. I really don't understand why more people aren't talking about him now, and why his creepiness hasn't taken him down in the past.

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 2

This thread just keeps on going, doesn’t it?  One would have hoped it would be a one pager and then quickly died a natural death. Sadly not the case. 

Also, how the fuck is it possible that Dustin Hoffman is 80? 

Edited by Fascinated
Grammar seems off. Should re-type probably.
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

To be honest,  changed my view of some people in my life. 

ETA: Sorry about the language, but nothing makes me Hulk-rage like suggesting that women keep quiet, right when it’s becoming more socially acceptable to talk about sexual assault. 

Didn't it though?  I've been thinking about long ago conversations,situations and people.  I was talking with a friend about it.  She wanted to talk because she realized a situation she laughed off ( and boy did we both do that it turns out and we went to HS in different states.  It's what was an acceptable coping mechanism) that was in fact sexual assault at 14 by an older teen.  It's making people think and talk and that is a good thing ultimately.   

I left your edit cause YES!!!!  Me too.

Edited by Beermeet
Spelling
  • Upvote 5

In related news, here’s a statement from Aurora Perrineau’s father (actor Harold Perrineau) that is equal parts beautiful and supportive:

(I know he’s kind of expected to be supportive because she’s his daughter, but there are a lot of shitty parents out there. I just thought it’d be nice to share an example of exactly how a decent human and good parent reacts.)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

The way Dylan Farrow has been treated absolutely breaks my heart. We're a solidly Woody Allen-free household, too. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

Add Mario Batali to the list. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/12/11/mario-batali-sexual-harassment/939785001/

He full on admits to it, without even knowing who the accusers are. If he's the willing to fess up, you know it has to be worse than what's known.

Aw man. I liked the croc wearing Iron Chef.

I mean, at the very least his apology was an actual apology. He’s still a massive asshole for acting that way though. I honestly hope you’re wrong and it isn’t worse than the current allegations suggest, but I’m unfortunately inclined to agree with you. :|

• Upvote 4

I had a mild fit over Mario Batali. I love him. We go out of our way to make multiple trips to Eataly whenever we hit Chicago. I'm so disappointed. 

I mean ... I'm glad if he actually ADMITTED it and didn't pay games but still. I'm so damned disappointed and disgusted in humanity.

Boss and I had a convo this morning. He's very republican and doesn't understand "all this" and thinks there's "no point in bringing up what happened in the past now."

Couldn't even touch that. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 4

17 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Boss and I had a convo this morning. He's very republican and doesn't understand "all this" and thinks there's "no point in bringing up what happened in the past now."

Couldn't even touch that. 

Not something you could ever get away with, but when I hear people say stuff like that I want to slap them and when they object, tell them "It's in the past. Why are you bringing it up?"

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

Not something you could ever get away with, but when I hear people say stuff like that I want to slap them and when they object, tell them "It's in the past. Why are you bringing it up?"

Like Rafiki in The Lion King. He was pretty smart, for a baboon.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

It's funny, back when Trump was running and he wanted to talk about how everyone was so unfair to him I told him point-blank "You will fire me if we have this conversation." 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

I'm not sure how ABC will handle Mario Batali.  With other violators (Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, ect), they're gone the next day.  The Chew is filmed a few months in advance.  I know someone who went to a taping in June of last year, a week's worth of episodes in that one day, and they were shown the week of Labor Day (first week of September).  So there's at least a few weeks' worth of episodes that still have him in them.

• Upvote 5

I've been jumping in and out of this thread, so apologies of this has already been said, but number one I think on my list of who I hope has never done this is Tom Hanks. I just adore him and would be heart broken if I learned he wasn't a stand up guy.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Man, I haven't checked on this thread in a while. I am both sad and heartened to see how far it's continued. This post is just for my spare thoughts and rambles.

It's interesting how different individual "gut-punch" moments are for people.  For me, it was definitely Weinstein since I briefly studied film in the LA area and would have killed for the opportunity to work for his company (I think I talked about this upthread). For my boyfriend, it was definitely Franken- he's from Minnesota and has loved the guy for 20+ years. It ended from one moment to the next when he saw the groping photo.

I don't really care which celebs do and don't get named right now, but I do have one big fear: someone I know and love personally being named. I've known some guys to be named this year, but I haven't been surprised that they're assholes. Sometimes I feel like the correct move would be to completely disown anyone accused, but then I look at my dad and brother (who as far as I know are great people, but probably not particularly "woke" in their sex lives), and I know that short of a very  violent case, I'd probably be in their support network.

Is that compatible with feminism? Is that ethically okay? I think so. I think it's okay to encourage people who have done bad things to apologize genuinely, step away from their power, get help, and metaphorically "come to Jesus." I guess what I'm trying to not forget is that, with the sheer volume of people being named, it's okay for the accused to have support networks, as long as those networks aren't surrounding them in denial, victim-blaming perspectives, etc.

I'm trying not to feel schaudenfreude at all in this, but I wasn't surprised Joss Whedon was a jerk and am happy to see him less and less upheld as a "feminist" icon. He was clearly capitalizing on that identity after he saw how strongly it resonated with his existing fanbase, at least in my opinion.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, NakedKnees said:

Man, I haven't checked on this thread in a while. I am both sad and heartened to see how far it's continued. This post is just for my spare thoughts and rambles.

It's interesting how different individual "gut-punch" moments are for people.  For me, it was definitely Weinstein since I briefly studied film in the LA area and would have killed for the opportunity to work for his company (I think I talked about this upthread). For my boyfriend, it was definitely Franken- he's from Minnesota and has loved the guy for 20+ years. It ended from one moment to the next when he saw the groping photo.

I don't really care which celebs do and don't get named right now, but I do have one big fear: someone I know and love personally being named. I've known some guys to be named this year, but I haven't been surprised that they're assholes. Sometimes I feel like the correct move would be to completely disown anyone accused, but then I look at my dad and brother (who as far as I know are great people, but probably not particularly "woke" in their sex lives), and I know that short of a very  violent case, I'd probably be in their support network.

Is that compatible with feminism? Is that ethically okay? I think so. I think it's okay to encourage people who have done bad things to apologize genuinely, step away from their power, get help, and metaphorically "come to Jesus." I guess what I'm trying to not forget is that, with the sheer volume of people being named, it's okay for the accused to have support networks, as long as those networks aren't surrounding them in denial, victim-blaming perspectives, etc.

I'm trying not to feel schaudenfreude at all in this, but I wasn't surprised Joss Whedon was a jerk and am happy to see him less and less upheld as a "feminist" icon. He was clearly capitalizing on that identity after he saw how strongly it resonated with his existing fanbase, at least in my opinion.

I think it’s ok too under the circumstances you described. If you’re encouraging the person accused to take responsibility and you decide to lovingly support them through that then I don’t see an issue. If you’re acting like the parents of Brock Turner, Stanford Dumpster Rapist, then yeah... we’re going to have some massive problems.

Which reminds me of Rose McGowan -

http://ew.com/news/2017/12/08/rose-mcgowan-slams-alyssa-milano/

She recently lashed out at Alyssa Milano via Twitter because Milano is still friends with Georgina Chapman and she gave an update on how she’s doing in an interview recently. I give Rose credit for surviving and speaking out about her attack, but I don’t know if I agree with her position on this. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, JMarie said:

I'm not sure how ABC will handle Mario Batali.  With other violators (Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, ect), they're gone the next day.  The Chew is filmed a few months in advance.  I know someone who went to a taping in June of last year, a week's worth of episodes in that one day, and they were shown the week of Labor Day (first week of September).  So there's at least a few weeks' worth of episodes that still have him in them.

ABC either showed a live episode today, or they taped a new episode late yesterday.  There was a little intro with Clinton Kelly, Carla Hall, and Michael Symon, explaining why Mario wouldn't be on the show.  Then the episode began, with them wearing the same outfits as in the intro.

• Upvote 6

Lt. Governor Tina Smith of Minnesota has been appointed to take over Al Franken’s seat in the Senate. She intends to run in the special election next year to serve out the rest of Franken’s term (2020.)

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/13/570476131/minnesota-lt-gov-tina-smith-will-replace-al-franken-in-u-s-senate?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2042

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1