IGNORED

Hollywood's Next Creep

Rachel333

It's not just Weinstein now, many other Hollywood figures are being exposed as sexual abusers. Today it's Louis CK, who has long been a liberal darling despite years of rumors of this kind of behavior, but who has finally been exposed in a thorough piece from the New York Times.

Tomorrow, who knows? I'm sure this is far from over.

It's sad that Hollywood is so full of abusers, but I couldn't be happier that finally people are paying attention and doing something about it.

• Upvote 8

The Louis CK allegations are a little less shocking just because it seems the rumors were spot-on, but they're certainly still disappointing. My heart goes out to the women who've had to stay silent about their shitty, weird experiences with him for so long.

His comedic persona is so in line with this behavior, it's disturbing. I truly hope he doesn't capitalize on this (he's always capitalized on being a creepy, self-loathing guy), and just steps back and stops behaving like this.

Anyway, I was a huge fan and it's kind of a relief to know that this is finally coming to fruition one way or anything. Let the Entertainment Industry Sexual Harassment purge continue! And let it spread to other industries!!

• Upvote 7

Not a shock. No one makes that many jokes about how men are creepy to women and that's just how men are without being like that themselves.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

The Louis CK allegations are a little less shocking just because it seems the rumors were spot-on, but they're certainly still disappointing. My heart goes out to the women who've had to stay silent about their shitty, weird experiences with him for so long.

His comedic persona is so in line with this behavior, it's disturbing. I truly hope he doesn't capitalize on this (he's always capitalized on being a creepy, self-loathing guy), and just steps back and stops behaving like this.

Anyway, I was a huge fan and it's kind of a relief to know that this is finally coming to fruition one way or anything. Let the Entertainment Industry Sexual Harassment purge continue! And let it spread to other industries!!

Yeah, I was a fan too once but I had seen those rumors so I guess I had gotten used to the idea of him being a creep and at this point I'm just happy to see his behavior exposed. I'm seeing a lot of denial or minimizing though from his fans and I guess I can understand why. It's hard when people you like are revealed to have done awful things.

I agree about wanting the purge to continue and spread to other industries (like the government). To me this is one redeeming part of what has been kind of a shitty year for our country.

• Upvote 9

I wouldn't say I was a fan, but I have watched some of his stand up.  When Tig Nagaro said he needed to address these rumors (some time last year),  that made me pay attention.  Enough covering up.  The truth needs to come out.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Louis CK released a statement, below spoiler (TW: unconsentual masturbation)

Spoiler

I want to address the stories told to the New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly. 

I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position. I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it. There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie and every other entity that has bet on me through the years. I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading.

While I don't think he should be praised for this, I do think this isn't a bad example for attackers who want to reform. If he is so quick to openly admit wrong, I'm annoyed that he waited until he was outed to do so. I still prefer this to the tacks we're used to: deny! Stay silent! Sex addiction! That sort of thing.

I'm seeing a ton of posts on social media (pretty much exclusively from men) pointing out how Hollywood is just full of creeps. Dude - everywhere is full of creeps; the famous ones are being called out publicly.

This is why we still need feminism even though we've made such visible gains in the last 100 years. There are still so many invisible, systemic issues. 

• Upvote 20

30 minutes ago, Ignorance Bread said:

I'm seeing a ton of posts on social media (pretty much exclusively from men) pointing out how Hollywood is just full of creeps. Dude - everywhere is full of creeps; the famous ones are being called out publicly.

This is why we still need feminism even though we've made such visible gains in the last 100 years. There are still so many invisible, systemic issues. 

I think the only reason Hollywood seems like such a moral cesspool is because it simply magnifies social pathologies present in the wider culture to the nth degree because of the insane amount of money, fame, and excess involved. Trump was correct when he said that if you’re a celebrity you can do anything you want and not get caught. It’s much easier for people to get behind locking up and throwing away the key for the stereotypical pervert dressed in a dirty raincoat and living under an overpass than to get them to believe that a celebrity that they think they know through the media has done something potentially worse over a period of decades. I think when some of these serial abusers die, only then will their dirty secrets be revealed, like with Jimmy Savile in the UK.

Edited by Cleopatra7
  • Upvote 17
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think the only reason Hollywood seems like such a moral cesspool is because it simply magnified social pathologies present in the wider culture to the nth degree because of the amount of money, fame, and excess involved. Trump was correct when he said that if you’re a celebrity you can do anything you want and not get caught. It’s much easier for people to get behind locking up and throwing away the key for the stereotypical pervert dressed in a dirty raincoat and living under an overpass than to get them to believe that a celebrity that they think they know through the media has done something potentially worse over a period of decades. I think when some of these serial abusers die, only then will their dirty secrets be revealed, like with Jimmy Savile in the UK.

I get what you're saying about the magnification of the incidents, but I think that this kind of harassment happens at the same rate in the general population as it does in Hollywood. In real life, it's not only the dirty raincoat perv, it's the nice guy down the street that you'd never expect until he's grabbed some lady at the block party. And then, no one really wants to believe that Jim the family man would do something like that. 

• Upvote 14

7 minutes ago, Ignorance Bread said:

I get what you're saying about the magnification of the incidents, but I think that this kind of harassment happens at the same rate in the general population as it does in Hollywood. In real life, it's not only the dirty raincoat perv, it's the nice guy down the street that you'd never expect until he's grabbed some lady at the block party. And then, no one really wants to believe that Jim the family man would do something like that. 

I totally agree. People want to believe that rapists are ugly, dirty, people who are obviously different from you and me and can be spotted a mile away. They don’t want to think that a rapist could be the boy next door (ie Brock Turner), America’s favorite dad (ie Bill Cosby), or some average looking Joe who heads the local civic group (ie John Wayne Gacy).

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. 

I think this is an important point. He not only did that to those women (and I wouldn't be surprised if there are many more women with similar or worse stories, given that he apologized for something that he didn't actually do to the woman interviewed), he manipulated his community for years at the expense of his victims, and he kept doing it until yesterday when he was finally publicly shamed.

His apology was a lot better than a lot of others I've seen, but I don't think it absolves him of his behavior the way a lot of people seem to think, judging by comments I've read on other sites.

• Upvote 8

Exactly. I'm guessing it's similar in the US, but the statistic here is that something like 8/9 times out of 10, the victim knows the abuser. Here people *can* get jailed for historical sex offences, I dunno if there's something similar in the US. Obviously it's a lot harder if there's no physical evidence, but I saw a documentary about a woman getting justice over historic sex offences (her dad had abused and raped her as a child, and she didn't say anything for something like 30+ years).

My brother sent me a message on FB yesterday "2016: Celebs are dying 2017: Celebs are sex offenders". He does have a habit of putting things bluntly (to say the least).

• Upvote 6

It does seem like there's a particular culture in Hollywood that is especially vulnerable to abuses of power. Look at what Portia de Rossi wrote two days ago:

My final audition for a Steven Segal movie took place in his office. He told me how important it was to have chemistry off-screen as he sat me down and unzipped his leather pants. I ran out and called my agent. Unfazed, she replied, “well, I didn’t know if he was your type.”

There are very few industries where that kind of thing is normal in what is essentially a job interview even if sexual harassment is endemic in other ways.

I do think the proportion of abusers is probably pretty similar to the general population. I was watching Anderson Cooper interview Ed Henry tonight and Henry was insisting that he knows Roy Moore to be a good man and thus doesn't believe the women accusing him. It would be nice to think that people we know and like are incapable of such things but that just isn't true. Plenty of seemingly good men are abusers.

• Upvote 7

Hollywood IS full of creeps. I'm starting to believe all those blind items and conspiracy theories, the latest news have been around the Internet forever but people didn't believe in them cause it's easier to believe in a land full of (non-existent) dreams. 

I mean, Corey Feldman has been saying stuff about the pedophile ring for yearsssss and no one believed him until Weinstein opened the Pandora box of Hollyweird's perverted monsters.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

On 11/9/2017 at 4:55 PM, NakedKnees said:

I Love You, Daddy, which Louis C. K. wrote, directed, and stars in, was supposed to be released next weekend.  This is what Wikipedia says about it

Premise[edit]

A successful television writer-producer, Glen Topher (Louis C.K.), tries to prevent his 17-year-old daughter (Chloe Grace Moretz) from falling for a lecherous 68-year-old filmmaker (John Malkovich).[1]

Even if the relevations about Louis C. K. weren't made public, I think the movie still would have been scrapped, or at least withheld for a few months.  The same thing happened to View From The Top (Gwyneth Paltrow played a flight attendant) and Big Trouble (subplot of a bomb being snuck onto a plane), both supposed to be released in late 2001 but both released later.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

George Takei was accused yesterday:

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_5a06f226e4b0e37d2f37ad96/amp

He has since responded. He denies the assault occurred, doesn’t remember knowing this man, and thanks fans for their support:

ETA: I’m having a bit of a tough time with this one. I’m willing to give Brunton the same benefit of the doubt as the other victims who have come forward, but this is the first I’ve ever heard of Takei being accused ever. The others all had rumors swirling for years, sometimes decades. I’d like to hear what you all think and see if I’m being unfair and unreasonable in having trouble accepting his account fully as I did with the others. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 6

53 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

George Takei was accused yesterday:

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_5a06f226e4b0e37d2f37ad96/amp

He has since responded. He denies the assault occurred, doesn’t remember knowing this man, and thanks fans for their support:

ETA: I’m having a bit of a tough time with this one. I’m willing to give Brunton the same benefit of the doubt as the other victims who have come forward, but this is the first I’ve ever heard of Takei being accused ever. The others all had rumors swirling for years, sometimes decades. I’d like to hear what you all think and see if I’m being unfair and unreasonable in having trouble accepting his account fully as I did with the others. 

That link wasnt working for me (problem might be on my end), but this one does:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-speaks-kevin-spacey-allegations-1052959

It's heartbreaking to read, not because I'm a fan but because of Takei's amazing reputation, but I believe the victim. There are others named who also knew, and the story doesn't sound too far fetched. They claim to not be looking for money. I'd be curious to see how it develops.

In the case of Kevin Spacey, I suspect that he genuinely doesn't remember the attack due to time and drunkenness. That could be the case with Takei too. Doesn't mean he didn't commit it, of course, but I do honestly wonder how I would react in their shoes (I'm a woman who's never been accused, to be clear, but I've certainly been blacked out drunk before).

ETA: this is a really dark line of thinking, I know, and I understand if you all think I shouldn't even go there. I absolutely believe that an assault is an assault is an assault and attackers should be punished equally. I've just been around a lot of alcoholics and memory loss in my life and wonder how that may factor in to confessions.

Edited by NakedKnees
  • Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

That link wasnt working for me (problem might be on my end), but this one does:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-speaks-kevin-spacey-allegations-1052959

It's heartbreaking to read, not because I'm a fan but because of Takei's amazing reputation, but I believe the victim. There are others named who also knew, and the story doesn't sound too far fetched. They claim to not be looking for money. I'd be curious to see how it develops.

In the case of Kevin Spacey, I suspect that he genuinely doesn't remember the attack due to time and drunkenness. That could be the case with Takei too. Doesn't mean he didn't commit it, of course, but I do honestly wonder how I would react in their shoes (I'm a woman who's never been accused, to be clear, but I've certainly been blacked out drunk before).

ETA: this is a really dark line of thinking, I know, and I understand if you all think I shouldn't even go there. I absolutely believe that an assault is an assault is an assault and attackers should be punished equally. I've just been around a lot of alcoholics and memory loss in my life and wonder how that may factor in to confessions.

The article you linked to is about Takei’s response to the Spacey allegations. Here’s another link to the accusation against Takei:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/george-takei-accused-sexually-assaulting-model-1981-1056698#scso=uid_Wgb4pwAJMBAKg8VJ6w7BPw_1:-2,uid_Wgb4pwAJMBAKg8VJ6w7BPw_1:0

The first article I linked didn’t name the friends, but this one does. The article states he told the four friends many years ago what had happened and that Brunton met with Takei some years later for coffee - he had wanted to confront him about that night, but couldn’t bring himself to mention it. 

I think it’s plausible that Takei doesn’t remember (especially if he was drinking as well), but that doesn’t make what happened any less of an assault. The story just seems odd to me. Maybe it’s just the way it was written more than anything. 

ETA: That said, I don’t know why he would publicly accuse Takei if nothing happened. I don’t know what he could possibly gain from lying about something like this. 

And I just saw your response while editing this. I agree it’s odd since there have never been rumors about Takei like there were with the others. It’s entirely possible that this was the only assault Takei committed or that other victims haven’t wanted to step forward. Regardless, I’m going to give Brunton the benefit of the doubt here just as I have for the other victims who stepped forward.

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 3

Oops, sorry for my link issues! I'm not so savvy on mobile. Thanks for fixing that.

I agree that something strikes me as odd about the writing. At very least, it sounds like there are inconsistencies between the articles, but that could just be the differing writers and freshness of the story.

I also admit it's weird that there haven't been even the slightest rumors about Takei, to my knowledge. Again, I'm interested in waiting and seeing what develops.

• Upvote 2

It sure sounds like George Takei admitted to sexual assault in this clip from Howard Stern's show a few weeks ago. Several years ago Takei also cheated on his husband on the same show by fondling another guy's penis, which Takei's husband said he was upset about. So Takei has done some shady things and given what he says in this clip I am very inclined to believe his accuser.

f

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2

On 11/11/2017 at 9:03 PM, Rachel333 said:

It sure sounds like George Takei admitted to sexual assault in this clip from Howard Stern's show a few weeks ago. Several years ago Takei also cheated on his husband on the same show by fondling another guy's penis, which Takei's husband said he was upset about. So Takei has done some shady things and given what he says in this clip I am very inclined to believe his accuser.

f

Yeah, I saw an article about this after I posted in here the other day. It definitely puts the accusations in a whole new light and it’s exceptionally disappointing and disgusting that Takei would harm another person (or people) in this way given his advocacy on so many important social issues. I’m very much inclined to believe his victim too. 

• Upvote 5

New allegation - this one against Mark Schwann creator of One Tree Hill by multiple members of Cast and Crew.

• Sad 1
  • Thank You 1