IGNORED

Roy Moore is a *fucking child molesting loser*

AmazonGrace

8 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

I don't do politics but I saw this today. Thought it was interesting tying Moore and Fundamentalism together

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/sh/ZPtmPISZPG/roy-moore-teen-girls-courtship/

Yep, not to mention tying Roy to his fellow asswipes like Doug Phillips.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, I don't think "Luck of the Duggars" would prevent Moore from being elected. Everybody, please pray to whatever diety you wish for Doug Jones to win this election. It going to take a miracle.

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

Sadly, I don't think "Luck of the Duggars" would prevent Moore from being elected. Everybody, please pray to whatever diety you wish for Doug Jones to win this election. It going to take a miracle.

I don't hold out much hope for Jones; yes, it will take a miracle for him to beat Moore.  That said, the Senate claims that they will immediately begin an ethics investigation if Moore is elected.  And then what?  If Moore is found to be ethically challenged by the ethics committee, what sanctions can it impose? I consulted google.  According to the Miami Herald, 

The committee has a range of penalties it can recommend to the Senate for a member, including expulsion, censure, payment of restitution, a change in seniority or positions of responsibility, public or private letters of admonition and training or education.

Expulsion is a huge deal.  

In its history, the Senate has expelled 15 members — one for treason and 14 for supporting the Confederate rebellion. The last expulsion occurred in 1862. The last member to face expulsion was Sen. Robert Packwood, R-Ore., who resigned in 1995 before the vote was taken.

And besides, if elected, the voters in Alabama did so with full knowledge of the accusations against Moore.  Election of Roy Moore could test boundaries of Senate ethics committee

Today's main wrap-up in the WaPo: "The Daily 202: Alabama’s desire not to be embarrassed may be the best thing going for Doug Jones"

Spoiler

THE BIG IDEA: There is a stark class divide in the Alabama Senate race. It’s larger than the gender gap, and it crosses party lines.

White-collar folks who graduated from college are significantly more likely to defect from GOP candidate Roy Moore than blue-collar, non-college-educated people. The country club set cares far more about their state’s reputation and the effect it has on the business climate.

The Washington Post-Schar School poll published the weekend before last, which showed the race within the margin of error, found that Moore led Democratic candidate Doug Jones by 42 points among non-college-educated whites, 69 percent to 27 percent. Among college-educated whites, however, Moore led by just 4 points, 50 percent to 46 percent.

Among white non-college women, Moore led by 36 points. Among white women who graduated from college, Jones led by 15 points.

-- No one highlights the elite concern about Moore better than Richard Shelby. Alabama’s senior senator cast an absentee ballot for an unnamed Republican write-in candidate, and he’s now made multiple television appearances to say that he cannot vote for his party’s nominee. Despite Moore’s denials, Shelby believes the five women who told The Washington Post that he pursued them when they were teenagers and he was an assistant district attorney in his 30s, including a woman who says he touched her sexually when she was 14.

“I think Alabama deserves better,” Shelby said Sunday on CNN. “I didn't vote for Roy Moore. I wouldn't vote for Roy Moore. I think the Republican Party can do better.”

The senator’s criticisms, which are already being featured prominently in Jones’s television ads, have created a permission structure for Republicans to defect, especially as the White House goes all-in for Moore. (President Trump recorded a robo-call that’s being delivered to GOP homes today, in which he says that his agenda will be “stopped cold” if Jones wins and that a Senator Moore will help him fix the problems caused by the “Obama disaster.”)

Shelby fears that Moore’s candidacy could hurt the state he has spent four decades in Congress trying to transform into a destination for manufacturing, biotechnology and aerospace. “I think the image of anything matters,” he told our Michael Scherer in an interview. “It’s not 1860. It’s not 1900. It’s not 1940. It’s not 1964 or 1965. It’s 2017.  And Alabama in a lot of ways is on the cutting edge, on the cusp of a lot of good things.”

The senator freely admits that he is anxious about how a Moore victory would affect the corporate world’s impressions of Alabama. “Is this a good place to live, or is it so controversial that we wouldn’t go there?” Shelby said. “You know, these companies are looking to invest. They are looking for a good place to live, a good place to do business, a good education system, opportunities, transportation. And we have come a long way; we’ve got to keep going. … We can’t live in the past.”

Shelby easily squashed a primary challenge from his right last year by emphasizing his seniority and effectiveness at bringing home the bacon for Alabama from his perch on the Appropriations Committee. In a state where half a dozen public buildings are named for Shelby, that decidedly retro pitch resonated.

The 83-year-old, who probably won’t seek another term in 2022, is thinking about his legacy when he says that the dark history of the South should not bind its future. “We are the Deep South. We are part of the Confederacy. My great-grandfather was a captain in the Confederate army, but so was everybody else,” Shelby told Scherer. “It’s a part of who we are. Yet there is a future out there. … What caused the changes? People want a better life.”

-- That “Alabama can do better” has been the central theme of every Democratic closing argument. A pro-Jones Super PAC called Highway 31 has spent $3.6 million on the race. “Don’t let Alabama’s good name be tarnished,” a narrator says in the group’s final radio ad. “Don’t wash it all away. Don’t let Roy Moore become Alabama.”

In Birmingham on Sunday, trying to gin up African American enthusiasm, Jones campaigned with Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) at a packed campaign office. “Don’t let anyone tell you this is an election of choices to what Alabama wants to be. It is not that. We know who we are, Alabama,” Jones said. “This is an election to tell the world who we are.”

“Please, I’m from Jersey,” Booker chimed in. “We definitely don’t want some people just singling out a few folks on the ‘Jersey Shore’ TV show and thinking that’s my entire state. No, there is goodness and decency and mercy and love here.” (Jenna Johnson and Sean Sullivan have more.)

Campaigning at a historically black college in Montgomery on Saturday, the likely 2020 presidential candidate explained why he came: “I’m here to try to help to get some folk woke.”

While Booker says Trump should think about resigning, Jones carefully avoids talking about the president. Whenever he’s asked about him, the Alabama Democrat pivots immediately to talk about the state’s business climate. “Right now, Alabama is in competition for a $1.6 billion Toyota Mazda manufacturing plant, which would bring 4,000 jobs to this state,” he said during a speech last week. “When Toyota is trying to decide whether to expand its operation here, they’re going to want to know what our state is doing. … A serious question that you have to ask yourself is this: Does the idea of Senator Roy Moore make it more or less likely that Toyota or anyone else would see Alabama’s image in such a negative way that they would cross Alabama off of their list and move on to another state?”

-- The business community has emerged as the in-state constituency perhaps most supportive of Jones.

The editor in chief of the Birmingham Business Journal, Ty West, warned his readers in a recent column that this scandal will hurt Alabama’s economy in the long term: “Alabama has been a national punching bag. … For a state and a business community constantly trying to distance itself from misguided stereotypes, that’s extremely unfortunate. It’s one thing for an executive to hear a stereotype from a prospective company or employee and have a chance to correct it. It’s a completely separate matter to get emailed links of actual comments and situations from those same prospects asking ‘what is going on in your state?’ … We simply won’t shed our longtime image if these situations continue.”

-- The opinion pages of the state’s newspapers have been filled with dire warnings about what message a Moore victory might send to the outside. “Over my years, I have seen the effects of Alabama’s Demagogue Hall of Fame, namely, backwardness, shamefulness and embarrassment,” Cliff Andrews from Piedmont wrote in a letter to the editor that appeared in Sunday’s Anniston Star. “I love Alabama and I’ve long since been ready for a change. I see an opportunity for that change, one that would be heard around the world.”

-- This is a consistent theme that comes up in voter interviews, as well. Consider these three people Robert Costa met in northern Alabama last week:

• “I can’t stand us getting pinned now as rednecks or uneducated,” said Ella Jernigan, a 19-year-old Republican student who’s studying marketing at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. “Every time you think we’re going forward, something like Roy Moore sets us back.”
  • “You travel across the country and you say ‘Alabama,’ and something goes right across people’s eyes every time,” said retired actor Jonathan Fuller, a 61-year-old Democrat, as he shopped at the Piggly Wiggly supermarket in the suburbs south of Birmingham. “I don’t want to apologize anymore for where I’m from because there is this pocket of stubbornness in my state.”
  • “I’ve been in Alabama for 42 years, and I’m so tired of the publicity being so bad. It’s not who we are, and it’s embarrassing,” said JoAnn Turner, a 71-year-old nurse who lives in Vestavia Hills, a mostly white Birmingham suburb. “I’ll have to do a write-in, because at the end of the day, this is about my conscience.”

-- For many Republicans, supporting Jones is a bridge too far. So Democratic groups have been encouraging people like Turner to write in someone else. American Bridge is running digital ads right now that encourage people to write in Alabama football coach Nick Saban.

-- To be sure, Alabama has long had a defiant streak. That is one key to understanding why so many people are still strongly supporting Moore despite all the allegations. “The state’s official motto is ‘We dare defend our rights,’ but those of us who’ve lived here our whole lives know the real motto: ‘We shall not be told,’” Kyle Whitmire, the political columnist for the Alabama Media Group, wrote in our Sunday Outlook section. “Each ‘Saturday Night Live’ sketch featuring Sessions and his possum, each Jimmy Kimmel prank, each op-ed browbeating — it might as well be a dare. If The Washington Post ran a banner headline tomorrow saying ‘Antifreeze is poison, don’t drink it,’ a sizable number of Alabamians would be dead tomorrow. … For unscrupulous politicians, that insecurity is a well that never runs dry. Moore has his bucket in hand, and he’s dropping it down that well again.”

-- Former Alabama governor George Wallace’s name has been coming up a lot in the final days of this campaign. “He was by turns an avid boxer, a circuit judge with lofty ambitions, a state leader who blatantly flouted federal authority, a symbol of defiance to the direction of the national culture, a hero to many rural and small-town whites and a politician who ran national campaigns on a promise to ‘send them a message’ — all descriptions that perfectly fit Mr. Moore,” Campbell Robertson and Jonathan Martin noted in the Sunday New York Times. “Mr. Wallace was a Democrat, and his use of race was far more overt and central. Yet when political veterans are pushed to come up with analogous races, they often turn to Wallace’s successful 1970 run for governor.”

Most of all, Moore and Wallace have both the same fans and enemies in common. “Upper-class, typically Republican neighborhoods ‘where the rich folks live in the suburbs up across the mountain from Birmingham,’ as Wallace described the enclave of Mountain Brook during that epic 1970 race, are now crowded with white ‘Doug Jones for Senate’ signs,” Campbell and Jonathan note. “To talk to many residents of these neighborhoods is to inevitably find two attitudes: assurances that they will be voting for Mr. Jones and a fatalistic certitude that, of course, Mr. Moore will win. … Thomas T. Gallion III, a Montgomery lawyer whose father was the state’s attorney general, voiced the often unstated perspective of Alabama’s elite as to why Mr. Moore was viable. ‘The rest of the state is in a time warp,’ he said. ‘They never progressed out of the ’50s. They don’t think. It’s sad.’”

Framing the election as a choice between the past or the future, Jones himself has compared this election to the 1970 governor’s race, when Wallace defeated an incumbent to win back his old job after an unsuccessful presidential bid in 1968. “Unfortunately, we chose the wrong path [in 1970], and candidly, we paid the price for it for a long, long time,” Jones said recently. “We have such chaos in Washington, D.C. The last thing we need is to put more chaos into chaos.”

-- Prominent people in Alabama are nervous about the kinds of zany stuff Moore might say if he comes to Washington, where he’d have a larger national platform than ever and anything he said would get cable coverage.

CNN unearthed a 2011 radio interview yesterday, for example, in which the former chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court said that getting rid of all the constitutional amendments after the 10th Amendment would “eliminate many problems” in the way the federal government is structured. Among other important rights, that would get rid of the amendments that gave African Americans citizenship and women the right to vote.

An African American man asked Moore when the United States was last great during an event in September. “I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another,” he replied, according to the Los Angeles Times. “Our families were strong, our country had a direction.”

-- These sorts of incendiary comments are one of the reasons that Moore’s campaign has kept the candidate off the trail and below the radar in the final weeks of the campaign. He hasn’t had any events since he appeared with former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon last Tuesday. There were reports — which his campaign wouldn’t confirm — that he flew to Philadelphia on Saturday to watch the Army-Navy game. Moore is scheduled to have a closing rally tonight, with Bannon flying back to help.

After a week of giving no interviews, Moore told a friendly local TV host — in a sit-down at the Alabama GOP headquarters — that the women who have accused him of sexual misconduct are engaged in “ritual defamation” against him. “I do not know them. I had no encounter with them. I have never molested anyone,” Moore said. (David Weigel notes that his story has changed since The Post first broke the story.)

The candidate also asserted that a victory on Tuesday would put to rest any questions about his past behavior. “I’ve stood up for moral values, so they’re attacking me in that way,” Moore said. “When this race is over, on the 12th of December, it will be over.”

-- It’s not just Alabama’s image. The GOP brand is also taking a hit.

A former longtime Republican spokesman on Capitol Hill, Kurt Bardella, has decided to quit the party over its embrace of Moore. “President Trump and the Republican National Committee are endorsing, supporting and funding Moore because they would rather elect a sexual predator who preys on teenagers at the local mall than a crime-fighting prosecutor who happens to be a Democrat,” Bardella writes in an op-ed for USA Today. “This is not a party I want to be associated with any longer. This is not a party that is trustworthy enough to protect innocent children from sexual predators. The embrace of Moore by the Republican Party’s top ‘leadership’ is all the proof you need to know that this is a party that no longer stands for anything.”

Roy Moore will definitely win, and then the Republicans will own him. Just like they now own Donald Trump. I know things look bleak, but I've also seen the tide turning. People are disgusted. The Republican base is more entrenched and brainwashed than ever, yes, but those who still have a mind of their own now see the GOP for what it is: a toxic group of spineless sociopathic puppets catering to the ultra-rich and shitting all over the rest of society. That doesn't mean that it's going to be easy to end this nightmare, but at least more and more people seem to be realizing that it is a nightmare.

Something's got to give. How much more can people take? Republicans are on a path of complete self-destruction and they are dragging the rest of society down with them. People will not just lie back and let it happen. That's not how it works. People get pissed. People get angry. People get scared when they see their money, dignity, security and prospects being stolen from them, when they see evil rich oligarchs stomping all over their lives and enriching themselves while they suffer. They get desperate and when they feel like they have nothing left to lose, watch out. This is the consequence of not studying history. Pray that the uprising is democratic and non-violent.

How is that voice of reason working out for you Ivanka? Ivanka, have your figured out the meaning of complicit?

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Moore is scheduled to have a closing rally tonight, with Bannon flying back to help.

Since he's now fully behind Moore, they should really have Trump with them at tonight's rally. It's Christmastime, so he could snag some excellent red velvet and coconut cakes.

No Democrat would dream of using footage from the pedo rally in any future political ads, we just know how much he enjoys his desserts. :whistle2:

I would say this is beyond the pale but I think we went past that point a long time ago. Not really sure what comes beyond the beyond the pale.

After all the photos of Trump groping young Ivanka it must sting to have her say that men shouldn't grope young girls.

Roy Moore (looking at Ivanka):  "She's a bit long in the tooth for my taste, but she's still pretty fine.  I know she likes to talk about women's rights and equality and all that, but she does it while peeking out from behind the men in her life.  They're all a bunch of morons who talk about religion but what is really important to them is money and power.  I can deal with that.  So, want to introduce me or should I just follow her around the White House and send her a dick pic later?"

Presidunce Chump:  "That's my daughter."

Roy Moore:  "So I should approach her mother?  But aren't you the biggest and bestest father ever?  As a consummate politician and the leader of the free world, wouldn't you be the one I should appeal to and feel loyalty to for ever and ever?  <steps closer and looks around>  Or is General Kelly getting all up in your business again?  Never mind, I don't want you to get in trouble.  Where's Hope?  Maybe she's more my style."

Presidunce Chump:  "No one tells me what to do.  NO ONE!"  <motions an aide to come over>  "Tell Ivanka and Hope to meet me in my quarters after dinner, and don't tell Kelly".

Thoughts:

• The Fox Spews poll is fake and they are fucking with us to keep Jones's voters home because they think 'hey our guy is ahead we can skip it'
  • It is true and we all get an early Christmas gift. Hanukkah starts tomorrow so that works as well. 
  • The poll is fake and they are reporting it to freak out any complacent Moore voters to swarm to the voting booths
  • Why hasn't TT been screaming FAKE NEWS? 

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

How is that voice of reason working out for you Ivanka? Ivanka, have your figured out the meaning of complicit?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/27/world/complicit-dictionary-word-year-2017-trnd/index.html

Do you think 2017 has been a lousy year for the world? Then you'll probably agree with Dictionary.com's choice for its Word of the Year.

It's "complicit," and if you're not exactly sure what it means ask Scarlett Johansson. Or Jeff Flake.

The site defines the word as "choosing to be involved in an illegal or questionable act" and "having partnership or involvement in wrongdoing."

It says online searches for the word spiked three times this year.

The first was in March, after "Saturday Night Live" released a fake ad for "Complicit" perfume, with Johansson as Ivanka Trump. It was marketed with the tagline, "The fragrance for the woman who could stop all this, but won't."

The second came in April, after Ivanka Trump told CBS, "I don't know what it means to be complicit." The first daughter, whose role in her father's White House has come under heavy scrutiny, defended herself against the "SNL" spoof and other criticisms, saying, "I hope time will prove that I have done a good job and much more importantly, that my father's administration is the success that I know it will be."

People also searched for the word in late October after Flake, a US Senator from Arizona and a fierce critic of President Trump, announced his retirement on the Senate floor by saying, "I will not be complicit or silent" about the current political climate and the tone of Trump's presidency.

As Dictionary.com noted, the word "complicit" has also come up in recent months during discussions about alleged sexual misconduct by Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein and other powerful men and whether others knew of the behavior but failed to stop it.

So, we've apparently witnessed a lot of complicity in 2017. But judging by the language we use, last year may not have been any better. Dictionary.com's Word of the Year for 2016 was "xenophobia."

I just love Alexandra Petri: "Some good reasons to vote for Roy Moore"

Spoiler

On the one hand, The Post has reported that Roy Moore made advances on numerous women when they were in their teens and he was in his 30s. On the other hand, though, he thinks America was last great when slavery was still legal and “families were united.” (This could not have been less true under slavery, a system of absolute brutal disregard for the family that tore families apart and enshrined rape.)

But then again, on a third hand, he thinks that repealing all the amendments after the 10th would “fix a lot of problems.” (Poof! Women’s suffrage is gone! Poof! Slavery is back!)

But then again, on a fourth hand, he was removed as a judge for refusing to take down a monument to the Ten Commandments.

But then again, he was suspended a second time, also for failing to respect the law. But then again, he thinks women are unfit for office. But then again, you have to remember that he has no regard for the Constitution. But then again, Stephen K. Bannon, a nightmarish human being who runs Breitbart and has helped bring the alt-right, writhing and squirming, into the light of everyday conversation, is a big fan and has been working hard to make Roy Moore happen.

But then again, Moore has said that evolution does not exist and that believing in evolution makes people act like animals. But then again, maybe we wanted to reenact both “To Kill A Mockingbird” and “Inherit The Wind” and come to the wrong conclusions.

But then again, if we do not vote for Moore, there will be no way to get through ill-advised jury-rigged tax reform plans that kick the middle class in the gut and run away laughing. After all, who doesn’t sometimes want to push the republic all the way to the edge just to feel something?

But then again, maybe, months ago, just when President Trump said he would need more information before denouncing the KKK, the Republican Party discovered that it had forgotten its safe word and could not stop all this horrifying white-supremacist dog-whistle roleplay, and it has finally ceased struggling.

On the other hand, if you ignore everything he has ever said or done in the course of his entire public life and imagine he is someone different, Moore is a pretty good person to have in the Senate.

It is important to hear both sides.

16 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Vote eleventy times eleventy tomorrow. May the Force be with you. We will be.

I get back online after doing some baking, and find this tweet from the Roy Moore revival meeting and bitch-a-thon in Alabama:

... and then we played "I'm not a bigot, I know some minorities" bingo!

:doh:

"He's been in a brothel with child prostitutes" certainly wasn't a PR talking point I expected to see.

How do you accidentally end up at a brothel with child prostitutes?

They let anyone walk in off the street and immediately walk out? 

They were both upstanding Christian men who were appalled what they saw and it occurred to neither of them to report it to the police? They knew what they saw was wrong and had no desire to rescue these girls?

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

I get back online after doing some baking, and find this tweet from the Roy Moore revival meeting and bitch-a-thon in Alabama:

... and then we played "I'm not a bigot, I know some minorities" bingo!

:doh:

She didn't actually say that, did she? 

Edit- I just watched it. I'm speechless 

32 minutes ago, Ali said:

How do you accidentally end up at a brothel with child prostitutes?

They let anyone walk in off the street and immediately walk out? 

They were both upstanding Christian men who were appalled what they saw and it occurred to neither of them to report it to the police? They knew what they saw was wrong and had no desire to rescue these girls?

I have the same questions, Ali. How do two "Christian", married men just end up in a brothel? With children, nonetheless? 

I'm not even religious anymore, but the pastor of the church I grew up in, wouldn't end up in a place like that. If he found out about one, I think he'd be in contact with law enforcement pretty quickly. I may not agree with his beliefs, but I believe he has integrity, and generally does the right thing. I don't understand why these other "Christians" aren't asking the same questions we are! What is happening?? 

So choosing not to rape prostitutes makes someone a good person?

Meanwhile Moore's friend mentioned that the man who brought them to the brothel came back the next morning with a big smile on his face, and the audience laughed at that. What the fuck?!?

4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Meanwhile Moore's friend mentioned that the man who brought them to the brothel came back the next morning with a big smile on his face, and the audience laughed at that. What the fuck?!?

This tells you exactly what sort of person votes for Moore.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived