IGNORED

Roy Moore is a *fucking child molesting loser*

AmazonGrace

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Bannon was in Alabama tonight at the Roy Moore rally. He attacked Mitt Romney for not serving in Vietnam like "Bad Touch" Roy did. I guess not serving in the military is  okay If your last name is Trump, though. :pb_rollseyes:

Trivia minute: The RNC chairwoman is Romney's niece. Christmas is gonna be pretty awkward this year at the Romney house. 

Spoiler

I am so ashamed of my state. There are no words to adequately describe how awful it has become.

"The Daily 202: Why so many women are still supporting Roy Moore in the Alabama Senate race"

Spoiler

FAIRHOPE, Ala. — Roy Moore has the support of 4 in 10 women who are likely to vote in next week’s Alabama special election, a relatively strong showing that explains why the race is neck and neck.

In Washington, many conservative women have expressed varying degrees of disgust with President Trump’s decision to give a full-throated endorsement to the embattled Senate candidate and the Republican National Committee’s move to flood the state with resources, just weeks after cutting him off. Ted Cruz’s former communications director, for example, tweeted this yesterday:

... < tweet about Ronna McDaniel and Kay Ivey supporting Moore >

Local newspapers also reported last week that Moore co-wrote a 2011 study course in which a speaker contended that women should not be allowed to run for public office and, if they did, people have a moral obligation not to vote for them.

Down in Dixie, though, 83 percent of Republican women are backing Moore.

To understand the disconnect, I asked 20 women who attended Moore’s rally at a barn here last night why they’re supporting him. Here were the four most common answers:

1. They don’t believe Moore’s accusers.

Five women told The Washington Post last month that Moore pursued them when they were teenagers and he was an assistant district attorney in his 30s, including one who says he touched her when she was 14. Since those allegations were published, four more women have come forward to allege that he made unwanted sexual advances in the late 1970s and early 1980s and new evidence has emerged. Moore denies any wrongdoing.

None of the women I spoke with inside the event gave any credence to any of these accounts. “He’s never been convicted of anything,” said Alisha Maddalena, 51, a server at a restaurant outside Montgomery and the vice president of the Alabama chapter of Bikers for Trump. “Why would (these women) allow him to sit in public office passing judgment on people for 40 years if he had done any of these things? Why wait 40 years to bring it up?” She paused as we spoke to listen to a pastor’s invocation, in which he thanked God that “in America, all men are innocent until proven guilty.”

In The Washington Post-Schar School poll published this weekend, 41 percent of women said they believe Moore made unwanted advances compared with 28 percent of men. That’s still a minority.

2. They want to show support for the president.

“This election is really a referendum on President Trump,” said Therese Gilmore, 59, who owns a hair salon in Mobile. “Is the swamp winning or is the tea party winning?”

After the rally, as “Sweet Home Alabama” blared on the loudspeakers and volunteers walked around with jars taking up a collection for Moore’s campaign, Gilmore said she believes congressional Republicans betrayed the grass roots by failing to repeal Obamacare. She argues that elites in both parties are trying to delegitimize the presidency by investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election, and she sees criticisms of Moore as part of that plot.

“They still don’t want an outsider,” Gilmore said. “They still haven’t gotten the message, even a year after we sent President Trump to Washington. … The Republican Party has gone too far to the left. … President Trump does things to appease Mitch McConnell all the time, and Mitch McConnell gives the president nothing back in return. He’s so arrogant and elitist. … I hate to say this, but I don’t believe a word of (the accusers). I just don’t believe a word. This late in the game, it insults my intelligence that you think I’m going to fall for it.”

Several people last night said they are hoping to go see Trump when he comes to Pensacola on Friday night, which is in the same media market as this part of Alabama. “We don’t want to have a liberal Democrat in Alabama, believe me,” the president said yesterday.

3. They want to shock the system and send a message to the establishment.

Several of these women hold Moore in high esteem because he refused an order to remove the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Supreme Court and was willing to lose his job to take that stand. They said this demonstrates that, unlike most politicians, he won’t change once he gets elected.

For some, the more that he gets attacked by elites, the more energized they are about his candidacy. Dorothy Basinger Sanchez, 75, retired here with her husband after working more than 30 years for General Motors. She complained that pundits who live in places like Washington and graduated from schools like Harvard are always on cable, even her beloved Fox News, trying to tell her what she should think. “They don’t have a clue what we want,” she said. “I feel like they’re trying to take the common folks’s voice away. I just don’t want my voice taken away. Roy Moore speaks for folks like us.”

Moore suggested during his speech that every attack on him is driven by fear that he’ll be a change agent. “I think they’re afraid I’m going to take Alabama values to Washington,” he said at the end of a 26-minute speech. “And I want to tell you: I can’t wait!”

There was a striking amount of “us” vs. “them” rhetoric last night. Moore was one of the “us.”

Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, making his third trip to Alabama for Moore, spoke for half an hour at the rally. “He’s never claimed, just like Donald Trump, that he’s perfect,” Bannon said.

He told the crowd that they can be “the voice of the deplorables” next Tuesday: “They think you’re a bunch of rubes. They hold you in total contempt,” he said. “If they can destroy Roy Moore, they can destroy you. They’re trying to send a signal to every young man, woman and child in this country that if they try to stand up for their people, they’ll be destroyed.”

Gina Loudon, a conservative TV personality, warmed up the crowd for Bannon. She noted that some are asking how women could support Moore, and then she turned the question around: “Why would you listen to the party of Bill Clinton, Al Franken and John Conyers? … The women of Alabama are smarter than that.”

4. Abortion is a litmus test.

Amanda Martiniere, 30, is a devout Roman Catholic and stay-at-home mom. She praises Moore for talking about his no-exceptions opposition to abortion as much as he does. “Abortion is the big thing,” she said. “I’m pro-life, and nothing Doug Jones has said on that is to my liking. … I have two kids of my own, and the fact that someone would want to end a child’s life in the womb is horrific. So I think the allegations against Roy Moore are horrendous, and whoever came up with them is an immoral and ugly person.”

During an appearance on CNN yesterday, Moore spokeswoman Janet Porter noted that the anchor interviewing her, Poppy Harlow, is pregnant. “Doug Jones says you can take the life of that baby,” Porter said, referring to Moore's Democratic opponent. Moore will “stand for the rights of babies like yours, in the womb, where his opponent will support killing them up until the moment of birth,” she added.

“Let's leave my child out of this,” Harlow replied.

“Jones opposed a House bill, passed in October, that would ban abortions after 20 weeks in most cases. He told the Alabama Media Group last month that he considered such a proposal too strict but also said he supports the current law in Alabama, which generally prohibits abortions after 22 weeks,” Callum Borchers notes. “The law for decades has been that late-term procedures are generally restricted, except in the case of medical necessity,” Jones said. “That's what I support. I don't see any changes in that.”

-- Why women came out to oppose Moore:

About 70 protesters, standing on grass in a misty fog after the sun had set, shouted “shame, shame, shame” at each car turning in for the rally, and two dozen women came dressed in the costumes from “The Handmaid’s Tale,” Margaret Atwood’s dystopian novel. Several had pieces of tape across their mouth with the names of Moore’s alleged victims written in Sharpie. The rest chanted, “We want a senator, not a predator” and “We believe the women.”

“I want the rest of the country to know that not everyone in Alabama is ignorant,” said Ginger Poynter, 49, a local attorney. “We need to bring decency and honor back to politics, and it’s not going to happen as long as Trump is president.”

Leslie McElderry, a criminal defense lawyer, said Moore’s refusal to obey court orders when he was the chief justice of Alabama’s Supreme Court, relating to same-sex marriage and the display of the Ten Commandments, shows that he thinks he’s above the law. “I hear a lot about the sex abuse. It was a long time ago. That doesn’t excuse it, but it was a long time ago. His abuse of power in public office is more recent, and that’s compelling to me,” said McElderry, 58, who dressed up as a handmaiden along with her daughter-in-law. “The idea that people think he’s fit is abhorrent. I don’t think they’re familiar with his record. … It’s like watching a car accident.”

“I think a lot of Southern women are still stuck in the rut where they feel like they have to support their man, and their husbands are supporting Roy Moore,” added Marlene Lockett, 60, a chef who bakes pies to sell at farmers markets. “It’s changing but not quickly enough.”

Sigh.

The fourteen year old girls of the US have a message for Moore, Trump, and all the other pervs out there:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/hi-its-us-all-the-fourteen-year-old-girls-in-america

“As young girls, we feel like maybe now is a good time to just throw something out there. See if it sticks. A PSA to all grown men on the face of the Earth: We do not want to have sex with you.

We don’t want to kiss you. We don’t want to be touched by you. Not under the bra. Not over the bra. Not anywhere in the vicinity of our bras. Why are you thinking about our bras?

We waited on sending this out because we didn’t think this was, you know, world-shattering news. We thought everyone was on the same page here, re: having sex with children being an absolutely, unequivocally monstrous thing to do, just a disgusting abuse of power against the most vulnerable among us. But apparently you need a refresher. We’d recommend a subscription to Teen Vogue for the articles, but we’re worried about what you’d do with the pictures.”

(make sure to read the whole thing, it’s perfect)

On 11/20/2017 at 7:53 PM, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

All of these articles you all keep posting from Roy Moore apologists. I can't even.  How do these people live with themselves? I just don't get why anyone would even WANT to make excuses for him.  Even if you take away his behaviour towards women, the guy is a colossal asshole. Some of the things he says would just make me apoplectic with fury over the logic fails.

Still catching up, but last night I was perusing his Twitter, which led me to his supporters. So many women were defending him, and I honestly started to feel sick. I had to find some light-hearted reading before bed. I was/am so disturbed. I don't understand it. And then I get a little sad that people are so... Dumb? But are they? 

On 11/20/2017 at 10:34 PM, RosyDaisy said:

They are thinking of:

* Unborn babies that will be saved from abortions

* Illegal immigrants that will be deported

* LGBT+ that will be punished

* Their guns

* Lazy people kicked off of public assistance

* Tax breaks

* The Bible becoming the law of the land

They honestly believe all of that is worth putting a pedophile in the U.S. Senate. I hate my state. It's a beautiful place that has been turned into something very ugly.

Tax breaks are my current favorite. I want to tweet them and ask how many private jets they have, so they can qualify for the big ones. 

"Roy Moore, and the GOP’s persecution complex"

Spoiler

Roy Moore now has President Trump’s endorsement, support from the Republican National Committee and a reasonably strong chance of winning — all proving that the many GOP leaders who tried to stop him have little control over their party. Whatever control GOP leaders retained after the tea party movement, in fact, has been severely undermined by Trump. And Moore, who stands accused of sexual misconduct with multiple minors, is easily the best indicator of that to date.

But the reason something like Moore could happen is more complicated than just Trump. And Republicans can blame one thing that Trump stoked, with plenty of help: The party’s increasing persecution complex.

After decades of being told that the media is out to get them, the tea party took that a step further and told Republicans that the GOP establishment was also out to get them. Now Trump, with some prodding from Stephen K. Bannon, has told GOP voters that the entire political establishment and even many American institutions (law enforcement, the judiciary, the intelligence community, etc.) are out to get them. The combined effect of all of this is that Republican voters almost reflexively recoil at the perception of being told what to do, whether by The Washington Post and the New York Times, by Mitch McConnell and Paul D. Ryan, or by anyone else not named Trump. Trump’s brand of populism has turned the enemy of their enemies into the friends of all Republicans.

And nobody was primed to exploit that sense of persecution like Moore.

Much like Trump, Moore isn’t someone who Republican voters necessarily love, so much as someone that supposedly evil political forces have tried to undermine. Moore finished fourth in the 2010 Alabama governor's race and barely won his state Supreme Court seat back in 2012. Yet just as with Trump, who started the 2016 GOP primary deeply unpopular with Republicans, here we are.

And this actually began long before the current allegations. During this year’s Senate primary, Moore seized upon his alleged persecution, arguing relentlessly and in hyperbolic terms about how Senate Majority Leader McConnell (R-Ky.) was out to get him. McConnell, of course, had become toxic in Republican primaries thanks in large part to Trump. So even as Trump nominally backed Moore's primary runoff opponent, appointed Sen. Luther Strange (R-Ala.), voters picked Moore in the primary and then in the two-man primary runoff.

That sense of persecution only increased, of course, once a number of women came forward in The Post to say Moore had pursued them when they were teenagers — including one who accused him of unwanted sexual touching when she was 14. Since then, other accusers have come forward, most notably a woman who accused him of sexual assault when she was 16.

The more than three-decade-old allegations lend themselves to Moore’s assertions of persecution. That’s in large part because, like many accusations of years-old sexual misconduct, there is unlikely to ever be bona fide proof of them. Even as The Post and others have substantiated the women’s claims to the extent that's possible, there is still faith and trust involved. Republicans in Alabama, it turns out, have faith in Moore and little trust in the national media — despite the severity of the accusations.

Another reason Moore has been uniquely able to hold the GOP base is his political career, which has been built upon fashioning himself as a martyr. He has effectively been kicked off the state Supreme Court twice for choosing his religious convictions over the law. Moore was almost perfectly positioned to claim persecution in this case, because he's been claiming it for the better part of 20 years.

None of this is to suggest the GOP has a monopoly on claiming political persecution. Politics is a game that rewards finding a convincing boogeyman, and populist candidates like Trump tend to find a large supply of boogeymen and rigged systems on the path to political office. But today’s Republicans are uniquely skeptical of the things they hear from the national media, the intelligence community and even their party leaders — all of which Trump has argued don’t have their interests at heart.

It’s almost a perfect storm, and combined with the uniqueness we find in Alabama, it might soon give us Sen. Roy Moore (R-Ala.), despite GOP leaders’ best efforts.

I can see it, the Repugs do seem to act wounded and persecuted much of the time.

"Who are Republicans really? Look to Alabama."

Spoiler

Just how disordered have our politics become? And how off-the-rails is the Republican Party?

The good people of Alabama will help answer these questions in next Tuesday’s special election for the U.S. Senate. The whole world will be watching them decide whether party and ideology top decency and moderation; whether there is simply no end to the extremism Republican voters are willing to tolerate in their ranks; and whether a majority in their state believe that being a credibly accused sexual predator is better than being a Democrat.

They will also be telling us what they think the word “Christian” means.

The outcome is likely to be determined by the consciences of conservatives, and of a specific kind: those who see Mitt Romney and Republicans like him as far more reflective of their moral sense than is Judge Roy Moore, the GOP’s ethically defective nominee whose indifference to the law led him to be removed from Alabama’s Supreme Court twice .

Stephen K. Bannon, the former Trump Svengali who proudly peddles the ideological wares of the extreme right, inadvertently clarified the stakes at a Moore rally in south Alabama on Tuesday night with a malicious and spiteful attack on Romney. The former Massachusetts governor tweeted this week that having Moore in the Senate “would be a stain on the GOP and on the nation.”

Bannon’s response? “Judge Roy Moore has more honor and integrity in that pinkie finger than your entire family has in its whole DNA.”

Yes, he really said that.

For good measure, Bannon not only accused Romney of avoiding service in Vietnam. He also trafficked in the anti-Mormon sentiments common among some evangelical Christians.

“You hid behind your religion,” Bannon said of Romney. “You went to France to be a missionary while guys were dying in rice paddies in Vietnam. Do not talk to me about honor and integrity.” (And never mind that “while guys were dying in rice paddies in Vietnam,” the president whom Bannon served also avoided the war, courtesy of five draft deferments.)

Bannon is many things, but a fool he is not. It’s no accident he linked his Vietnam attack to Romney’s missionary work, which underscored the 2012 Republican nominee’s deep commitment to Mormonism.

Thanks to Bannon, we now know that this is no longer just a race between Moore and Democrat Doug Jones, a former U.S. attorney who, depending on the poll, is either slightly behind or slightly ahead. It is, in very large part, a decision by Republicans about who they are.

It is also an important choice for devoted Christians. Do they really want their faith defined by those who tried to justify Moore’s alleged relationships with young teenagers by invoking the Holy Family and saying that Joseph was older than Mary (which, besides being absurd, is biblically unfounded)? Or by arguing that an interest in young girls might be explained by a desire for “a large family,” as a professor at Ouachita Baptist University wrote?

Do those saying such things not realize that they are helping to discredit the very tradition they claim to be defending? No atheist could inflict this much damage to the faith.

This is how haywire politics has gone in the age of Trump.

Party loyalty can, it’s true, be honorable if it is about the defense of principles, and Moore’s backers say they are sticking with him to oppose abortion and multiply conservative judges.

But these rationales ring hollow given Moore’s utterly unconservative claims as a judge that his theological predilections overrode the law and his lies about not profiting from his private charity, which suggest he is a charlatan exploiting the beliefs of his supporters for his own purposes.

Both Moore and President Trump play on the feelings of marginalization experienced by many cultural conservatives. It would be salutary for such voters to declare that there are limits to how much they will allow themselves to be used by politicians whose words and deeds are so often at odds. If Moore is not the limiting case, there are no limits.

Moore’s promoters, including Bannon, want to convince Alabama Republicans that since a Jones triumph will be taken as a rebuke to Trump, they have an obligation to fall into line. But the long-term harm to the GOP from a Moore victory will be far greater than from one lost Senate seat. Bannon is right to cast the election as being about “honor and integrity.” When it comes to these virtues, it is not a close call.

I'm watching an interview with Janet Porter right now, the same woman who opened her interview with Poppy Harlow a few days ago by saying that Moore's opponent would like to kill babies like Harlow's unborn child and pointed out that we're not focusing on the women who haven't accused Moore of molestation. Everyone who goes on those shows defending Moore comes across as really unhinged.

8 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm watching an interview with Janet Porter right now, the same woman who opened her interview with Poppy Harlow a few days ago by saying that Moore's opponent would like to kill babies like Harlow's unborn child and pointed out that we're not focusing on the women who haven't accused Moore of molestation. Everyone who goes on those shows defending Moore comes across as really unhinged.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/people/janet-porter/

Janet Porter began her career as a Religious Right activist as the legislative director of Ohio Right to Life in the 1990s, before becoming the national director for D. James Kennedy’s Center for Reclaiming America. Porter eventually struck out on her own, establishing the group Faith2Action and becoming a Religious Right activist, columnist and radio host through which she prompted her extreme right-wing views and countless conspiracy theories.

In 2010, Porter lost her radio program when the Christian network that hosted it objected to her increasing embrace of an extremist Christian movement known as Dominionism, which teaches that Christians are to control all levers of power within society and use those positions to implement public policy that corresponds to the Bible. Porter eventually resurfaced back in Ohio, where she has been leading a so-far fruitless crusade to get the state legislature to pass a “Heartbeat Bill” that would outlaw abortion in the state if a fetal heartbeat can be detected. Fed up with her failure to convince to legislature to pass her bill, she ran for the state senate in 2016, but lost in the Republican primary.

I honestly don't remember ever hearing of this woman before I saw her on TV speaking in behalf of Moore. Then I found out she is apparently from Ohio (What happened to "Let the voters of Alabama decide" ?) (We don't want her back here in Ohio). Sounds like she has a significant history of right-wing extremism and the worst of conspiracy theories, while using Christianity as an excuse. She also wrote (not sure if she still does) a column for World Net Nut Daily, which she apparently used as a vehicle to spread her hatred of Obama, among other things. At one point, she ran for a seat in the Ohio legislature, but lost in the Republican primary to competing candidate.

I find myself amazed that this woman actually has any audience.

D. James Kennedy, what a piece of work he was.  I remember a poll he mailed out which asked, among other things, "Should property owners be forced to rent to people involved in a sexually deviant lifestyle?" and bragged that the Christian school affiliated with his church should have X number of pregnant girls based on enrollment, "but we have zero Because We Teach Abstinence!"(and you can also expel them.)

Anderson Cooper had little patience for Janet Porter's crap as it relates to Roy Moore.  The videos are great. This is an especially good quote:

“Does he still believe that the U.S. is ‘the focus of evil in the world’ because of same-sex marriage?” Cooper queried. 

“You can ridicule his biblical beliefs if you want,” Porter replied, not answering the question. “The Bible has very clear things to say about a lot of issues.”

“You’re the spokesperson, and you seem unwilling,” Cooper later told Porter as the interview came to a close. “I know you’re not from Alabama, but you seem either not to know what his positions are or are unwilling to actually tell me what his positions are.”

Fuck. @AmazonGrace, I didn't know I could be any more disturbed by Moore and his supporters. I don't even know what to say. I'm not really surprised by the slavery comment. Unfortunately, a lot of people feel that way. :my_confused: But I am speechless about the evolution thing. That is just ridiculous and stupid. It terrifies me that people this stupid can possibly be considered for the senate. Or the presidency, for goodness sake! UGH. 

So I've always been pissed about Moore, but this weekend I was thinking about how if he wins, how deeply it will affect everyone but those that have experienced assault/molestation/etc. I've had years of therapy and have done so much better since my incident I guess you can say but it really hit me how it would be a slap in the face that while I (among others) suffered for years in silence at times blaming myself that the perpetrator can legitimately go on about their lives not thinking about consequences. It makes me so so sick. (Obviously this can be applied to the many men who have attacked women, but I think personally for me since Moore's victims were teen women it hits closer to me).

The last thing we need is someone who disagrees with me. Vote for a child molester! 

My goodness. This guy was banned from a mall, for preying on teenaged girls, and 45 is endorsing him! :my_sick:

The last thing I need is someone who would hold me accountable for my crimes and misdemeanors! Vote for the bigot nutso who would owe me one! 

Roy Moore supporters are trying to say that this means the whole inscription is a fake, and right wing media is pushing that narrative hard. The optics on this are awful. She should have said from the start that she added the date and location herself.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived