IGNORED

Dillards 43: Tweeting for God

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Derick spent 2 years in Nepal doing "humanitarian" work.  In fact, he lied to get into Nepal (which does not welcome evangelical missionaries with no discernible skills to offer) and spent his time handing out Bibles and preaching.  That is his idea of missionary work.  It is not mine.

Could someone who has a twitter account please point out to him that he was technically an illegal immigrant?

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how things would have gone if Jill hadn't got pregnant so quickly. If they'd been able to do their mission work before surgeries, they might have been able to meet more people, and Jill would have felt less isolated. It took me a while to recover from my first c section, and I didn't have to move to another country where I didn't speak the language.

31 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Not necessary, you don't really need a large community to have these activities. Even few families could organize something like that. It would probably be very hard to find and join it, though. 

Right, that was kind of my point. Like there might be 50 people in my city who speak Lithuanian (I looked up the census data, there are, haha) but what are the chances they have any kind of language classes, or would be willing to provide intensive language instruction to prospective missionaries (or even capable of doing so)? I'm guessing not super likely. :) 

33 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Right, that was kind of my point. Like there might be 50 people in my city who speak Lithuanian (I looked up the census data, there are, haha) but what are the chances they have any kind of language classes, or would be willing to provide intensive language instruction to prospective missionaries (or even capable of doing so)? I'm guessing not super likely. :) 

But - and I really do have to ask - why the fuck does Lithuania need American evangelical or extreme fundamentalist missionaries?  Lithuania is majority Christian anyway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuania#Religion

35 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I wonder how things would have gone if Jill hadn't got pregnant so quickly. If they'd been able to do their mission work before surgeries, they might have been able to meet more people, and Jill would have felt less isolated.

And why the fuck would anyone anywhere in Central America need Jill (pregnant or not) and the appalling Derick? 

The world is not, and should not be, a playground for extreme Christian Fundamentalists who want to fulfill the "Great Commission" by spreading their toxic beliefs.

NWA has a large Latino population, especially in Springdale where 31% of households speak Spanish at home, so Derick and Jill could definitely keep practicing Spanish if they really wanted to.

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I just feel for him in his marriage. He's never going to be able to live the life he wanted because he married a woman who wasn't who she said she was.

Eh, I feel for my brother in his marriage.  He was all set to be a 3rd generation missionary.  And a second generation medical missionary.  He married another MD who was not a Jill.  She was (and is) a forceful, opinionated, highly intelligent and very well educated woman.  She talked the talk (and I think it was genuine) about wanting to be a missionary.  But, when push came to shove, she couldn't hack the missionary life.  It isn't easy.

Now, granted, they joined a legitimate mission.  They did all the extra training (including in language) and got sent to a country in the middle of a really ghastly civil war.  My SIL's experience as a missionary was far worse than Jilly Muffin's.

I think their marriage did have a few rocky patches but they are still married.  My brother gave up on going back to Africa, the continent where he was born, and his missionary dreams, but I think he is quite happy today.

44 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

But - and I really do have to ask - why the fuck does Lithuania need American evangelical or extreme fundamentalist missionaries?  Lithuania is majority Christian anyway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuania#Religion

Dude, you're asking the wrong person. I pulled Lithuania out of my ass to use as an example, and obviously I'm neither an American evangelical or an extreme fundamentalist missionary. :pb_lol:

I know. :)

I was responding to this bit:

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

or would be willing to provide intensive language instruction to prospective missionaries (or even capable of doing so)? I'm guessing not super likely.

I wonder whether Jody Hodnett took lessons in Glaswegian, his original goal, before he moved to Dundee (but his roof fell in), then to Lockerbie (better house), but set his sights on Dumfreis, and is now apparently mostly preaching in Carlisle. 

Carlisle is not in Scotland.  But the Scots are in great need of salvation.  According to Jody. :laughing-rofl:

34 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I wonder whether Jody Hodnett took lessons in Glaswegian,

He probably tried and failed to do the accent, I joked he didn't do well in Glasgow because his branch of Christianity didn't have a football team and that is not acceptable in Glasgow. 

1 minute ago, Glasgowghirl said:

He probably tried and failed to do the accent, I joked he didn't do well in Glasgow because his branch of Christianity didn't have a football team and that is not acceptable in Glasgow. 

Jody never even got to Glasgow.  I think he read your cautions about football teams and chickened out! :)

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Jody never even got to Glasgow.  I think he read your cautions about football teams and chickened out! :)

Joking aside, Glasgow and the West have enough homegrown religious idiots without him coming in and stirring things more. He would have lasted five minutes preaching in Glasgow. 

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

@Georgiana Your parents are great!   I always thought I wanted to go to university and do archeology, so my dad did research and got me a place on an archeological dig, and wow, I hated it!

I completely understand that privilege played into that, but I think a good parent does try to help their children get some experience of things they think they might want to do, if they can.   And while I totally acknowledge my privilege in my example (my dad was dating a university professor who knew people in the right department), the Duggars have so many contacts, and a TV programme backing them, so it would have taken so little effort from them to get Jill a place in a USA mission, or on a 2-month placement somewhere.

ETA And Jill was their favoured daughter!  I can't imagine how she feels about all of this - she can't blame her parents because that's literally against their religion, and she has been taught that this was God's plan for her etc etc, and I bet she's prayed her heart out, and can't understand why God didn't help her.  

I would have loved for that to be a turning point for her, but I bet she feels that helping Derick prey on international students is the least she can do after stopping him working overseas.

ETA 2 No excuse for them not learning Spanish, though.  I get that languages are harder for some people than other, but it's hardly like they were trying to learn Tamil or Hindi, and given they have the internet, so could watch Spanish-language TV, even if for some unlikely reason they were in a part of the USA where there are no Spanish-speaking people within 500km, not even at the university, there are a ton of other options.  Hell, my dad learned basic Spanish via one of those cassette-and-book programmes, in the early 1980s, and in the 2010s there are hundreds of more options.

My daughter lives in So America. In fact, I am visiting now. I used Duolingo and can get by fairly decently. Those 2 are just lazy. Heck, for a time Jill was getting private lessons. So entitled-

6 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I was actually very surprised that neither of them could speak Spanish and were sent to SCA. Because I think many people have indeed studied Spanish just not the Dullards. 

He is tall. I think it is at 3 that they say to double the height and that will be your adult  height. Could be a myth though.

Measure a child at 2 years old then double that height. That's the standard in the uk. It works! Mine are 6ft 6, and 6ft 5. Exactly as predicted. My great-nephews are going to be the same! We do have Viking ancestry though, so im not suprised!

27 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Joking aside, Glasgow and the West have enough homegrown religious idiots without him coming in and stirring things more. He would have lasted five minutes preaching in Glasgow. 

The fantastic funny Weegies ( Glaswegians) would have had him running in circles after his own tail after 5 minutes!! I loved Glasgow. Lived there for 6 years. Fantastic folk, brilliant sense of humour. Jody seriously would have been a massive joke. 

I believe that Jill's impression of missionary work was largely based on her family's annual brief jaunt to CA: lots of company, lots of activity, lots of positive feedback within a short time, lots of cuddles with orphans, limited risk, limited need to speak Spanish well, then back to the comforts of the TTH.  Her expectations for Prince Charming may also have been a bit off...

The poor girl really didn't have a chance in life. Her parents are a total dead loss. J-B is a lecherous old sod. Meechelle hasn't got two independent brain cells to rub together. The kids have all brought each other up. Her eldest bro is a total scumbag. On the plus side, she does have two beautiful wee boys. Dwreck could do a runner back to Nepal, Jill could send the boys to REAL school when they are of age, then she could go to nursing school, qualify PROPERLY as a midwife and have a good career whilst bringing her boys up. Sorted!

I don’t understand why anyone believes that Jill could have gone to nursing school to become a registered nurse.  It is hard and you need to have a solid academic background for acceptance then to keep up with the coursework.  Just because she had a heart for nursing doesn't mean anything in the real world.  

In know someone that could not keep up with the coursework for the dual RN/Bachelor of Science needed,  switched his direction but went on to eventually get a Master in Ed, now working on his Phd.

A friends daughter is in her first year now, she has already has a BS and is working hard to maintain her grades.

9 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

If that “double the height at 2” thing had any merit, I’d be 6’2”. I’m 5’7”. 

Perhaps it's only for boys? Or the tape measure was faulty!!

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don’t understand why anyone believes that Jill could have gone to nursing school to become a registered nurse.  It is hard and you need to have a solid academic background for acceptance then to keep up with the coursework.  Just because she had a heart for nursing doesn't mean anything in the real world.  

In know someone that could not keep up with the coursework for the dual RN/Bachelor of Science needed,  switched his direction but went on to eventually get a Master in Ed, now working on his Phd.

A friends daughter is in her first year now, she has already has a BS and is working hard to maintain her grades.

He sound academic rather than practically minded. Possibly he just wasn't cut out for the physically demanding practical work of looking after real patients.  Learning the theory of nursing then applying it to the real nitty gritty of on the job hospital ward work are can be a shock to a lot of people. The class room is comfy. Doing 12 hours practical shifts is not. 

@Gobsmacked, he actually loved the practical side and worked in a hospital as an orderly  to pay tuition.    He had problems with the science academics in his last year, even though he  worked hard at it. 

But thinking of Jill as an RN stretches reality since her parents made sure their children are limited in their life choices.   Besides the obvious deficiencies of their education, can you imagine any of them getting up to be on time  for a early morning class or to be at a shift at a hospital ready to work at 7 am?

Duggar time versus being on a ward at 7am- ish! Hmmmm! That would be a steep learning curve!! If Jill had been given the chance though  she may have succeeded. Sadly she will never know. 

My pediatrician told my mother that my sister and I would both be over 6 feet tall! Well, I'm 5'8" and my sister's 5'7", so I'm not sure what happened... Both of our parents are taller than us.

27 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

My pediatrician told my mother that my sister and I would both be over 6 feet tall! Well, I'm 5'8" and my sister's 5'7", so I'm not sure what happened... Both of our parents are taller than us.

My mother was 5’11”. Her mother was 5’9”. My dad’s mom was 5’8”. Still don’t know why I’m the shortest of these three, when convention would say I should be taller than my grandmothers, at the very least. Lol

If Derrick really wanted to be a missionary he would of taken the time to do what he needed to do to be accepted by a missionary group. If Jill had proper training and was part of a legitimate group with a network she may of done better. Dwreck doesn’t think rules apply to him.

I don't think Derick (or any Duggar) knows what real missionary work is. They have a white Savior complex and have no empathy for people not like them. Being a missionary is hard, requires excellent people skills, and an understanding that all cultures are valuable. You can't wander about like Derick did in Nepal, or live in a guarded 1st world apartment like they did in Central America. How do you reach the people you want to reach if you are physically separated from them? How are you going to empathize with them if you don't understand anything about them? Their problem isn't just a language barrier, it's a cultural barrier.

I bet Derick knows next to nothing about Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam despite hanging out in Nepal. To convert people, or even have a truly intelligent conversation about religion and religious differences, you need to understand where the other person (or people) are coming from. I don't see him as a learner, especially with the crap he posts on Twitter.

These people just want to skate through life with their fans kissing their asses and applauding everything they do.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived