IGNORED

Dillards 43: Tweeting for God

samurai_sarah

@Playagirl A corn dog, to the best of my knowledge, is a hot dog (or "ween") that has been deep-fried with cornmeal batter.  I tried one once, many years ago, and it was simply vile.  I'm sure there are tasty versions of it, but the one I had was so awful that I swore never again and have kept my promise.

I also hate Twinkies and thought that they didn't taste like real food.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chiming in from New England! I’m trying to make smarter choices lately (because tiny person and setting a good example and blah blah blah), but this thread is killing me with some of the foods mentioned.

I hate twinkies, have never really enjoyed corn dogs, deep fried candy bars don’t sound appetizing, and deep fried butter sounds absolutely disgusting to me. I thought I’d like chocolate covered bacon, but apparently I was wrong about that too. 

I do enjoy fried pickles though. Husband introduced them to me and now we’re slightly obsessed. Fried chicken is almost always a good choice too, as are French fries and poutine (which I first tried in September - I’m a fan. Well done Canada!) Fried Mozzarella is great with a nice tomato sauce and Latkas taste like heaven. 

9 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

And fried pickles and an Argentinean empanada!

Did anyone say Argentina? :hello:

We do have the best empanadas (and the best pizza).

44 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I hate twinkies, have never really enjoyed corn dogs, deep fried candy bars don’t sound appetizing, and deep fried butter sounds absolutely disgusting to me. I thought I’d like chocolate covered bacon, but apparently I was wrong about that too. 

I don't normally like doughnuts, but there is this place near me which makes them right in front of you.  They start out with a plain cake doughnut and you then get to choose your glaze, topping or sprinkles. Chocolate dipped with crunchy bacon on top. Lipitor and insulin for a small separate fee. :bacon:

1 hour ago, seasonsoflife said:

We do have the best empanadas

There's an empanada food stand in the LES and it's my favorite breakfast stop when in NYC. :)

1 hour ago, seasonsoflife said:

Did anyone say Argentina? :hello:

We do have the best empanadas (and the best pizza).

We have a little place here that pretty much only sells empanadas. (Now I'll have to check if they have pizza, too.) I had heard good things about their food for a few years, but only tried it last month for the first time.

It's a good thing that I brought my empanada home to eat, because I think I was moaning and drooling with each bite. :my_blush: So good! I'm rationing my visits to once a month so that I don't mess up my health, but I'm really looking forward to my next visit!

This thread is making me stomach sick and hungry all at once. The talk about gross sounding foods is making my dinner roll around uncomfortably in my stomach. 

But damn I want deep fried pickles and mozza sticks. 

What is the music playing in the background of that video? Sound a lot like christmas music to me, but it couldn't be (could it?) since Duggars a) don't celebrate christmas (doesn't matter that we've seen a christmas tree and presents in their house before) and b ) doesn't listen to wordly music. Or would some christmas songs actually be ok if they are only about the arrival of Christ?

Never forget. #neverforget 

So yeah. I don’t know if the Duggars didn’t celebrate in the past, but they definitely have celebrated in recent years.

ETA: And no. The Dills didn’t come up with this idea on their own. There were tons of posts about this on Pinterest for a while. It seems like it was a pretty popular photo idea. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Never forget. #neverforget 

So yeah. I don’t know if the Duggars didn’t celebrate in the past, but they definitely have celebrated in recent years.

ETA: And no. The Dills didn’t come up with this idea on their own. There were tons of posts about this on Pinterest for a while. It seems like it was a pretty popular photo idea. 

Happier times.....
*sigh* so much has changed since this photo was taken.

I know the bow belly is corny as hell and I totally snark that, at least they looked happy, they both had a light in their eyes which has gone now:my_sad: Especially Jill.....Wow....... :my_cry:

31 minutes ago, Feministe9000 said:

Happier times.....
*sigh* so much has changed since this photo was taken.

I know the bow belly is corny as hell and I totally snark that, at least they looked happy, they both had a light in their eyes which has gone now:my_sad: Especially Jill.....Wow....... :my_cry:

I don't know. I think if this photo were posted today people would be saying, "Wow, Jill looks so sad. She looks dead in the eyes. And there's Dwreck clutching her like she's his property. Look at his fake smile, you can tell how angry he really is."

25 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't know. I think if this photo were posted today people would be saying, "Wow, Jill looks so sad. She looks dead in the eyes. And there's Dwreck clutching her like she's his property. Look at his fake smile, you can tell how angry he really is."

I agree with what you're saying, but I don't agree with that perception of this photo for those who would say that.

For how much I loathe Derick, this photo captured a small moment in time, regardless of the hate speech, in-doctrinal views and dangerous ideologies, and all the other horrible shit we know about these people.
Remember how excited Derick was to be a dad? All those t-shirts, Dad hats, mugs?! I mean they were REALLY looking forward to it all. Maybe that changed when Israel was born, we'll never truly know.

Crinkling around the eyes indicates a genuine smile, plus they are both beaming. How could they not be? It has never been this good since.

No, I'm sorry, whether Derick was holding her like property, his weird face, the corniness of the bow, Jill, in her world, is happy when this photo was taken. Why wouldn't she have been? It was pre-scandal, pregnant with her first (and a honeymoon baby! double win), Derick was still working at Walmart in accounting, they lived in a beautiful home, she was the shining star.

She looks so full of hope for her future:my_sad::my_cry:

1 hour ago, Feministe9000 said:

Remember how excited Derick was to be a dad? All those t-shirts, Dad hats, mugs?! I mean they were REALLY looking forward to it all. Maybe that changed when Israel was born, we'll never truly know.

Yeah. I wonder what happened. Maybe reality hit him hard. Maybe he expected some perfect little robot who would worship the ground he walked on? I know there are narcissistic parents who have a really hard time when their kids get into the preteen-teen stage and start talking back/questioning them, even just in that normal, healthy kid-growing-up way - but usually that doesn't happen when they're barely toddlers. :pb_confused:

21 hours ago, snickerz said:

There's another Duggar recipe I have no desire to try - it looks like they're filling the pan with sliced apples, adding cinnamon & butter, then topping it with a can of Canada Dry & canned biscuits. Blergh.

They are proud enough of the recipe that it’s in one of their books.

15 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah. I wonder what happened. Maybe reality hit him hard. Maybe he expected some perfect little robot who would worship the ground he walked on? I know there are narcissistic parents who have a really hard time when their kids get into the preteen-teen stage and start talking back/questioning them, even just in that normal, healthy kid-growing-up way - but usually that doesn't happen when they're barely toddlers. :pb_confused:

I think part of it is simply because he doesn’t have a ton of experience with young kids. Some parents have trouble adjusting with their first and have an easier time with any kids born later because they have no clue what to expect the first time around. Unfortunately, parenting books can’t fully prepare you for the reality of raising kids.

Its also likely a communication issue with Derick too. There are many intelligent and college educated individuals who have pretty poor written or verbal communication skills (and many intelligent non-college educated people who have fantastic communication skills.) I think there are times Derick attempts to be funny or relatable and it falls flat because he just doesn’t communicate well. 

I don’t believe he’s the worst father out there. He’s definitely not the best, but from the limited things I’ve seen Izzy seems pretty comfortable with his father. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything, but it does make me wonder if he’s more involved than we assume.  

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

SNIP

Unfortunately, parenting books can’t fully prepare you for the reality of raising kids.

Its also likely a communication issue with Derick too.

SNIP

Yes to both of these regarding Derick. The sleep deprivation of a newborn - oh my god. Maybe Navy Seal training can prepare a person for that, but the average joe is definitely in for a surprise. 

I also go back again to the shit storm Joshua Duggar created around the time Izzy was born. This wonderful and exciting time was marred by Fuckface. Not to mention Derick's jaw surgery which seems to have had questionable success. I really don't think Derick's behavior can be pinned on one particular thing - I think too many big events (good and bad) happened in such a short period of time, and he just isn't capable of handling it.

As far as communication - Derick tries to be funny and often uses sarcasm.  He lacks the wit to get away with it so he ends up sounding like an ass most of the time. I don't know if the things he says are always meant to be taken literally (some things certainly are, but his recent post about not agreeing with Izzy probably is more a reflection of his poor attempt at using a funny analogy than his real feelings). 

By no means do I think Derick has great values (and I do believe he is troubled), but I think it's very easy to start to pick apart everything he and Jill do because we don't care for them. Some things are more benign than we might realize. 

The pic was taken Pre-surgery I think. Dwrecks face wasn't sore. Since surgery his face appears lop-sided. If the surgery was done  for medical reasons, then I feel sorry for him. If done for cosmetic, camera ready reasons then oh dear.  It hasn't worked, and has taken away his cute dork look. 

A friend's daughter had oral surgery for health reasons two years ago. She is still in discomfort due to the surgery. She also cannot eat anything which takes to much chewing and is now exceptionally thin. 

A difficult labor and delivery with Izzy, jaw surgery, Josh molestation scandal and moving to Central America for the first time all seemed to happen within a few short months. I don’t think Jill and Derick have ever recovered from that. It seemed to set Derick on a path of being very bitter about being a D list celebrity. I don’t think he realized how much criticism he was going to get for spouting off his religious and political views. And then on top of that, he gets more criticism about his health, his appearance, his choice to do mission work, his parenting style. I don’t think he really understood what being a parent is all about and he’s surprised how hard it is. I bet he thought that he’s a great husband and Jill’s a great wife so the parenting thing would be so easy. Turns out that Izzy was a normal baby who’s turned into a normal toddler. The most dangerous thing I see about Derick (and the rest of them) is how intent they are in politicizing their religious views (abortion, gay rights, etc.)

Often people really look forward to being a parent, but imagine things that can't happen for the first few years.  Its hard to understand just how long it takes before the kid is able to kick the ball back to you, let alone play most games or appreciate things you were excited about.  My sister compares babies to the most demanding potted plant ever, there is just no return for a long time.  That can be a shock to people.  

We don't really know what Izzy was like as a baby though they suggested he was "spirited" which suggests to me that he wasn't laid back. I have a 2-year old who was and is a sleep nightmare. I have literally not slept properly in 2 years, he is just awful. He is a delight during the day and very easygoing and doesn't tantrum but man the nights kill you. If Izzy was a terrible sleeper and difficult during the day, I can imagine Derrick and Jill in SCA and he is out preaching or doing God knows what and she's stuck at home with a baby and no family or friends to support her or come lend a hand so that she can have a break for a few hours. These are all benefits that Jessa received and continues to receive. She goes to TTH and has a horde of siblings to entertain her boys allowing her to have a break every single day if she wants. That is HUGE. So Derrick comes home in SCA after Jill has been dealing with Izzy and he's likely faced with an exhausted, stressed and even depressed woman who has no adult to commiserate with other than him. I can see him becoming really resentful of the situation, now he's got a kid who's hard, a wife who is unhappy, next thing you know they are having another kid for no good reason other than it's the expectation, he's back stateside and how fun is his life?

I bet when he was in Nepal he was hanging around other missionaries his age, they explored the place, they were somewhere exotic, he didn't have to deal with the 9-5 boring routine of a job, etc. I know a couple of people who went on missions to Africa and they had a great time, it was like an extension of college in a way. That would be VERY different than his experience as a grifter with a wife and child in SCA.

13 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

exhausted, stressed and even depressed woman who has no adult to commiserate with other than him.

I was under the impression that they were in Scary Central America as part of a team of "missionaries."

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived