IGNORED

Cooking Tips and Tricks

Curious

Your cooking tips and tricks go here.

• 1 month later...

Crispy crust 

I always keep some breaded chicken or fish filets in the freezer for those times when I don't really feel like cooking. I usually heat my filets in the oven in my cast iron skillet, but before I add the chicken or fish to the pan, I lightly brush a little cooking oil in the pan, and stick it in the oven while it's preheating. Then, I pull it back out and add the chicken or fish, cook for half the time on the package, and then flip them over and put them back in the oven until they are done. Doing this gives you a crispy crust, but it's not as bad for you as deep frying. You can also do this on a baking sheet, but I prefer using my cast iron skillet. 

Measuring salt

I keep some salt in a small jar so I can just dip in with a measuring spoon to get however much I need for a recipe, without spilling any on the counter.

Poached eggs, everyone likes a different method in our house.

I like to simmer water with a dash of vinegar in my skillet, and poach for 3 minutes, gently spooning the hot liquid over the eggs during this time.

Husband likes to do his in a mug in the microwave, with a dash of water, for 40-45 seconds. (Depending on the microwave and the size of the egg)

Daughter number 2 uses the egg cooker, her boyfriend likes to put the egg in cling wrap and poach in a saucepan.

Extra fluffy bread!

I tried the tangzhong method for the first time today and am quite excited. It is where you make roux and add it to yeast dough. The result is fluffy and wonderful.

Tangzhong.jpeg.a5a55f0cffedb18149be7f98553cf79a.jpeg

I used this recipe with these modifications:
for soy milk: hemp milk and leftover cooking water from parboiling potatoes
for egg replacement: aquafaba.

I made a loaf as well as a test batch of cinnamon rolls. I think next time I will make some more modifications depending on what I want to make (sweet or savoury), but overall I am very happy. 

Archived