IGNORED

Counting On: Season 4, Part 1: Back to Planet Duggarville

choralcrusader8613

On 9/11/2017 at 10:00 PM, hollywood said:

I love when Jana is outgoing. I love seeing her personality. 

I agree! She's hysterical when she's being her spunky self. Part of why I suffered through the after show to see her tease Joy.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@AtlanticTug @singsingsing They were in San Antonio for a few days, my facebook feed was Duggar sightings abound, then they came back with Jana (and maybe Joy) and started doing the Waco trips to the HGTV decorating place. A few people talked to them or took photos, one girl was excited about giving the cameraman her digits, someone overheard a tiff, random speculation occurred (though TBH I wouldn't be surprised if they had looked at real estate as often as they've come for the past few years, possibly confused with JinJer's Laredo house hunt). They do a lot of Christian conferences in SA, so anyone who speaks at those gets pretty familiar with the city.

A friend and I are still sussing out which pizza place they ate at from the angle of the river, one's a chain, one isn't, but we've never had pizza on the Riverwalk (usually where you go is based on margarita specials), so we're curious. 

They also likely routed through Dallas or Houston, so the flights are very short (I think SA to HOU is about 30 minutes in air time), sometimes you don't get beverage service, just cups of water, if that. They wouldn't have been able to pace the aisles and it would have been just awful for the little ones' ears. 

I just watched Joe's courting proposal on TLC site. I've always thought he seems boring as a dry dish cloth but I gotta admit, it was an awkward but sweet and a very genuine moment. Joe even had a tear in his eye while talking about it. He truly seems to cherish Kendra.

16 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

Can anybody answer a question regarding where the original Duggar home that Joe took Kendra to see was? It looked like they all parked at Cross Church to see the house, what am I missing? Is the home by the church or did I zone out and miss something?

Sorry if this was answered already!

ETA: And of course it was answered already. :pb_lol:

Completely off topic and totally petty - but - Can someone explain if this is normal in southern parts of the country (i'm from the northeast)? Why do they use "Whenever" and "When" interchangeably????

In this episode I think it was Joe that did it. he said something like "whenever i asked Kendra to court...". Even with all the intense bullshit the duggars do, this is up there as one of my biggest pet peeves. 

5 minutes ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

Completely off topic and totally petty - but - Can someone explain if this is normal in southern parts of the country (i'm from the northeast)? Why do they use "Whenever" and "When" interchangeably????

In this episode I think it was Joe that did it. he said something like "whenever i asked Kendra to court...". Even with all the intense bullshit the duggars do, this is up there as one of my biggest pet peeves. 

Yep, it's a regional thing, not a Duggar thing.

@LegHumperBibleThumper, I can't speak for the midwest, but I live in TN close to the Bates' hometown.  We tend to butcher the English language down here.  I was an English/Language Arts major in college.  I know most of the proper grammar rules, and I still mess things up.  Regional norms while speaking make proper things sound wrong.  And the wrongs sound right.  When I was teaching, I was more aware of how I was speaking and would self edit.  But that's because I was aware of the "correct" way to speak.  Most people in my circle just continue to speak the way they always have.   And a lot of them don't even realize they are wrong. 

Just now, coffeequeen said:

And a lot of them don't even realize they are wrong. 

Well they're not wrong! In some situations, like formal writing or speaking, you do want to use proper English, but in informal speech there's really no "wrong" grammar as long as you can be understood.

I used to be really bothered by people using English "incorrectly" but I've realized the problems with language prescriptivism.

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

Well they're not wrong! In some situations, like formal writing or speaking, you do want to use proper English, but in informal speech there's really no "wrong" grammar as long as you can be understood.

Right! I guess I should have been more clear.  I know that rules don't have to be followed when speaking.  I was thinking more along the lines of subject/verb agreement or past tense/present tense.  For example, my husband likes to say "come" when he should use the past tense "came."  I used to correct him, but his entire family does the same thing.  They don't even realize that what they are saying is incorrect.  Is/are and was/were are other words used interchangeably where I live.  It sounds terrible to me.  However, to some of people around me, it sounds perfectly fine.  

I wasn't trying to imply that others just spoke terribly.  I should have provided examples of what I was trying to say from the beginning.  I hope that my point is more clear now. 

1 hour ago, coffeequeen said:

And a lot of them don't even realize they are wrong. 

I concur, @Rachel333. I have many feelings and thoughts about this, and I'm going to vent about prescriptivism a bit. 

I would also argue that they are not wrong :D

From a linguistic point of view, Standard American (or whatever) English and X Regional Dialect are equal.

When we talk about "correct language", what we really mean is "the standardised form commonly used in education, government, and in writing". Often, the language variety which which becomes the basis for the standardised language is the language variety spoken by the elites or by the powerful. The Modern English spelling system, for example, is based on the sound system of one particular dielectric of Middle English. It was a choice, but of course other people in different regions didn't subsequently alter their pronunciation. A person from Liverpool and a person from Surrey to this day will pronounce "bath" differently, because of how the language developed independently but simultaneously in those regions. It is the same with grammar. 

This doesn't mean that other language varieties aren't internally consistent, just because they differ in grammatical form or in word choice from the standard. These versions will have developed alongside the standard version, so their speakers aren't making mistakes - they're just literally using a different dialect. 

Being fluent in the standard is obviously a benefit, and like @coffeequeen says, people may not even be aware that their speech is a variation. Other still are bidialectal. 

It's all rather akin to the Oxford comma debate. Some style guides demand it, some don't.

My technical writing is precise, but my writing for fun is still in need of habit breaking for run on sentences and overuse of "that".  I don't edit my posts here as much I should (mainly since this is my tired and reset time), so apologies to you all. My fiction writing is still attempting to rise from the ashes of disappointment (book under option, then the publisher went out of business). 

Speaking variations I'm snark free, there are so many accents and different language covariations as long as I can understand what we're trying to get at it's good. If I'm butchering someone's name or some known pronunciation, please correct me.  Daschund comes to mind as a particularly tricky one to catch when just hearing it across American accents.

1 hour ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

Thanks for bringing that up because I actually wondered this too. It's not something that bothers me but I'm definitely not used to hearing people use whenever/when this way. It seems like many of the Duggars do this. I'm in the Midwest and I've never heard anybody use whenever that way. 

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Sorry if this was answered already!

ETA: And of course it was answered already. :pb_lol:

@Seculardaisy 

I think it was answered incorrect. I may be wrong. But I thought They did own the home that Joseph and jinger were born in. They sold the house to the church while they were building the tin house. And the church needed it so they moved into a free rental while they built the in house. It was explained on that special with them moving in. 

41 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I thought they owned their also. Maybe they brought from the church and then sold back to them. 

The second property was definitely a rental. It was smaller than their original house.

4 hours ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

In college, my English Grammar prof. asked us to share our #1 grammar pet peeve.  This was mine.  My example sentence was "Whenever I was born, my mother went to the hospital." 

I hear what you guys are saying about the strict grammar, but I just can't help it.   I know it is my own hangup.  It is bad enough when the meaning is clear, as in less/fewer (see below!) but there are times when the nonstandard grammar confuses things.  I live near Philadelphia now, and people here say "anymore" in a way that I simply can't understand.  "Anymore, I like clowns."  I don't know if that means you like clowns or don't like clowns! 

Also:

CEvzWF_VEAEgrCn.jpg

@Satan'sFortress I live now in South Jersey and people just go "down the shore" in the summer. And I really like South Jersey people are forever telling you to "have a nice rest of the day" and holding the door for you. The anymore thing hasn't drifted over here or I haven't heard it. 

Thanks for bringing that up because I actually wondered this too. It's not something that bothers me but I'm definitely not used to hearing people use whenever/when this way. It seems like many of the Duggars do this. I'm in the Midwest and I've never heard anybody use whenever that way. 

It's definitely a southern thing. I hate it!

On 9/11/2017 at 8:58 PM, onekidanddone said:

They are made by Hers and are sold here in Maryland, but not at every store. Oh Rufus they are fantastic, if you like Old Bay that is. Looks like you can buy them online 

https://www.amazon.com/Herrs®-Bay®-Seasoned-Cheese-Curls/dp/B01FXXQ4L2

I tried them and didn't like them. It's a strong, harsh flavor. It could also be that my husband found the concept disgusting and didn't want to share them, so I tried to eat a whole bag by myself.

12 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

@Satan'sFortress I live now in South Jersey and people just go "down the shore" in the summer. And I really like South Jersey people are forever telling you to "have a nice rest of the day" and holding the door for you. The anymore thing hasn't drifted over here or I haven't heard it. 

So i also live in South Jersey and have never heard "anymore" used in this way. Love "down the shore" though <3

someone explain to me why jinger reacted like she did when spurge had his little scream fest at the table at lunch.  She acted liked she had never seen a child do that? this from a girl who raised her siblings. 

I am in the camp Jinger and Jeremy don't / can't deal with children because they want to be in the world and enjoy and not be tied down. 

I don't see them having children for another 3 years.  I think Jessa covers for her. 

Last night while I was lying awake in bed-as per usual, I got to thinking about all these comiccons, gotcon, startrekcon etc. Wouldn't it be hysterical to have a Duggarcon or a Fundiecon for all of us FJs? (DISCLAIMER- totally make believe here- like Fantasy football) But let's play- what would be the events at Fantasy Duggarcon?

I'll start:

Frumper Fashion Show

Judgemental Tweet Competition

Pinata making

Fundie Food Truck featuring Chickenetti and Tatertot & Casserole

Counting On-musical revue featuring FLAME!

4 hours ago, nst said:

someone explain to me why jinger reacted like she did when spurge had his little scream fest at the table at lunch.  She acted liked she had never seen a child do that? this from a girl who raised her siblings. 

I'm pretty sure the older ones were blanket trained, and they taught the younger ones not to behave in that (you know, perfectly normal for a kid) way. Or maybe she thinks kids come with all the spunk beaten out of them....

2 hours ago, Exposedknees said:

Fantasy Duggarcon?

Best cherry picked Bible quote (KJV, of course) that makes the absolute least sense.

"Make it Modest" contest.. bring your sewing machine and some extra fabric! It doesn't matter what the fabric looks like!

"Flip Flops" Discussion: Do they ever really need to be thrown away?

Swimming pool open certain hours only. Long denim skirts a must.

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived