IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

We think we're Christians, but we aren't exactly sure - only requirement is believing in Jesus and his teachings and I don't know enough about all his teachings to be sure. 

Only requirement is believing that you're a Christian! There are atheist and agnostic Christians, not the mention the huge number of different denominations with very different ideas about what Jesus taught and what those teachings mean for us today. Despite what the fundamentalists would have you believe, the Bible (and Church history) is very much open to interpretation. :) 

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love all this name talk! I checked and my name had its peaks in the 30s and 50s and hasn't been in the top 1000 since the 70s. I like that. 

My grandma's name was Lenore and was often called Nor/Nori; I'd love to work that in if we ever have another daughter. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know a little Agnes. I doubt it will make much of a comeback though. 

My grandmothers name was Agnes, and if I get a girl sometime I'm considering it :) Of course it is starting to come back here in Norway, sooo... We'll see.

16 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

It makes me think of Dolores Umbridge. It's a nice name, but I'd never want my baby associated with that witch. 

'88! My 4 year old niece is obsessed with Dolly Parton and named her kitten after her. "When she's nice I call her Dolly, when she's mean I call her Dolores."

She got to name the whole litter, so there's Dolly, Jolene, Reba, Duncan and Fartface.

Edit to add in our baby name fun: Our girl front runners are Bridget, Cora/Corrine, Ellery (technically a boy name and Savannah (such cute nicknames, Savvy, Vanna) . Boy names seem to have less playfulness (my spreadsheet for them is much smaller), but Everett (he loves the name Rhett) Patrick and Phillip.

I'm sure they'll shift around before we settle down and once we get into pronunciation checks. I was a one of eleventy with my first name growing up, his is rare, so the in between would be nice.

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know a little Agnes. I doubt it will make much of a comeback though. 

It is number 11 on the 2016 name list in Sweden. I hear it being called in the playgrounds all the time. My cousin was a bit early and named her now teen daughter Agnes so she was a forerunner. In my personal opinion though Agnes sounds better in Swedish than in English so maybe it is for esthetical reasons it has trended here and not in the US. 

With Margo, Edith and Agnes in Despicable Me, they'll be aaaaalllll over the place in the next generations.

Re Ruby - there are a ton of 18-25 year old Rubys in the UK, and I think that's a classic "grandma name", along with May and Maisie. 

7 hours ago, of_the_lioness said:

Everyone thinks they are being unique because "I don't know any Beatrices! (Olivias, Sophias, Emmas)" but everyone else in your age cohort also loved that song/movie/book/had a great uncle August, and now your kid is Caleb M. or Tall Mason.

Yes, this!  And even if no one else in your class ever read the Worst Witch books, eg, there are millions of different classes and schools out there.  I have friends who called their daughter Matilda and were surprised that so many other of their peers did - but Roald Dahl was the most popular children's author of "our" time, so there were always going to be millions of little Matildas named by parents of a certain age.

Me ( a teacher), taking attendance in just one class:

Aiden - 6, both male and female

Christian/Christopher/Cristina - minimum 3

Isabella/Bella/Belle-at least 3

Names that are spelled uniquely,  but sound the same as another (think Ani/Ana/Anya, multiple ways to spell Amauri)  - numerous.

And that is just one class. At least it's been easy to memorize names this year. 

Their is a ton of girls named Sydney. For years mother would have at least 1 in her pre-school class. 

I have a client who's daughter named Sydney. Their were 2 others in her year. 

I think Edith and Sybil may make a come back because of Downton Abbey. 

Hahah I just looked it up. My name hasn't been in the top 1000 baby names in 55 years. My parents are the original hipsters. lol

I've always loved the name Beatrice. I really, really hope it doesn't get any popular at least for the next 10 years (I don't plan on having a baby until then, and even that is kind of early for me). I also love Maxine, but I haven't heard that anywhere recently.

I feel like in 20 years,  names like Debbie, Lynn, and Susan will be popular again. For boys, I feel like classic boy names like Jack and James have never really gone out of style. 

To whoever was surprised about Princess Beatrice - the urban legend is Sarah Ferguson really wanted to call her daughter Annabel, but was nixed by the royal machine, partly because of the upper class nightclub called Annabels.  So she was told she had to have a name that was more royal, went back to the family tree and landed on Beatrice and Eugenie.

(Unfair that Andrew & Sarah had to call their children traditional names, and Anne was allowed Zara? Yes, but Zara Philips was nowhere near the line of succession, Princess Anne takes no shit, and Sarah was always viewed with suspicion)

When my nephew first saw the name Beatrice, he sounded it out as 2 words beat and rice, and concluded that it was a funny name for a girl.

Never felt like my first name has fit me. Even living with it for 30 plus years it still feels odd to say or hear it. When I was finishing HS I seriously considered going by my middle name for college. Just was too afraid of how my old and new friends would react to it, which I regret now. Got some nicknames that have still stuck from college anyway. Also I ended up giving myself a nickname inadvertently that I'm very happy with, even my mom calls me by it. I joined a message board years ago, never thinking that I would end up meeting so many people from it and make friends through it. There were three other people with the same name as me, so we started going by a version of our screennames to make conservations easier. 

Future kids names I had wanted Ava Grace for a girl before it became popular, with the intention of hypothetical daughter going by Grace I just like the flow of Ava Grace. Still wouldn't deter me if it was popular by the time I have kids. Same with a friend who had a girls named picked since we were in HS. It wasn't popular then but ended up becoming so when her daughter was born but she had wanted it for 10 years. For a boys name I always liked James, and then had a boss named that who annoyed the shit out of me, I can't disassociate the two now. I also like Joshua, but fuckface messed with that one as well! For a boy middle name I wanted to use my grandfathers name but two of my cousins beat me to it, one using it as a first name. Who knows I may say f it and use it anyway. 

3 hours ago, Lurky said:

(Unfair that Andrew & Sarah had to call their children traditional names, and Anne was allowed Zara? Yes, but Zara Philips was nowhere near the line of succession, Princess Anne takes no shit, and Sarah was always viewed with suspicion)

It's probably more to do with the fact that Anne married a commoner who did not take the courtesy title on marriage as is usual, so the children weren't born as Prince/ Princess, unlike Andrew and Sarah whose daughters are princesses.

10 minutes ago, Dugg@rTime said:

It's probably more to do with the fact that Anne married a commoner who did not take the courtesy title on marriage as is usual, so the children weren't born as Prince/ Princess, unlike Andrew and Sarah whose daughters are princesses.

Anne refused the title of Prince and Princess for her kids, which I really respect (compare to eg Princess Michael of Kent!) but I don't think it was about the title, I think it was about position in succession, and Charles apparently suggested Zara's name (Greek for Light; highbrow) whereas Annabel was seen as déclassé (like Sarah was).

Loving the name chats! I'm about 98% sure my name is unique. Never come across a single person with the same first name as me, not on FB, Linkedin, google etc. I have seen it as a surname in Eastern Europe (same spelling, but I imagine a different pronunciation), and it's the name of a small village outside Lyon in France  I like it, think its suits me, and have gotten used to always having to spell it out! My mother also has a fairly unusual name, and I think because she quite liked being unusual in that way, she gave me a unique name! I will probably end up following suit - my top boys names are Ernest and Prosper. Ernest was #976 last year in the US, and Prosper has never been in the top 1000. For girls I lean towards the classic English names -Charlotte, Caroline, Maude, Beatrice etc, which are all a little more popular. 

One of my mums favourite names is Prudence - shes planning on giving it to an adopted grumpy old cat!

I wonder what I would name a third child. We have a letter theme (unintentionally) so would we continue that? I don't know for a girl I do have a name that would fit that theme and an OK name for a boy too but it is a bit too similar to my son's name to be an ideal fit. 

However, as the letter theme wasn't something that was important for us I could just say screw it and pick another name I like. My paternal grandma's middle name was Alvina and that is a name I seriously considered before I knew my son was a son and I still had it as a back up name in case they were mistaken. I don't know if I would use it as a middle name or a first name but I have a couple other nice names. My daughter has a flower name so perhaps one of those? I have at least 2 I like in that category. So maybe Alvina+flower name or two other names that I also like that follows no particular theme. One is just a name I like and one is after a friend I had in college whose name I always liked.

For a boy, well that is tough. My dad is dead and so is my husband's but their names sound terrible together so we decided against that which would have been logical from a sentimental point of view. We thought about using one of their names for our son but with the name we finally chose we didn't like any of their names and we ended up choosing a name I liked but that is not a family name as a middle name and our son's first name is also chosen at random but is the same as a prime minister's so technically we could choose that as a theme too if we liked. There are actually a lot of nice names among former Swedish prime ministers (I would not choose Stefan as the current one is called, it is actually a name I dislike and my oldest brother has a similar name so I would feel weird about it for that reason too) so I would be OK with that. One was called Hjalmar (H is silent) which I like. It would also suit the names of our other kids. I also like the name Gösta which we considered for our daughter had she been a boy. It looks weird to foreigners but is really not that hard to pronounce, it is pretty close to saying "just a". I also like the name Povel which my husband doesn't so I have given that up but if it was totally up to me that would be my number one pick. Don't know why I like it but I do.

When I was a kid I planned to have four children and name them Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. I actually do like all those names, almost certainly because of the association, but the theme would have probably been a little much. :pb_lol: 

6 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I've always loved the name Beatrice. I really, really hope it doesn't get any popular at least for the next 10 years (I don't plan on having a baby until then, and even that is kind of early for me).

My grandmother's name was Beatrice, but if I have a daughter one day, it will be her middle name rather than her first name.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived