IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

32 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Apparently William has a little cousin named Maud (maybe a second cousin, something like that, but she goes to the same school as Prince George), so I doubt they'll use Maud.

He does indeed. Maud Elizabeth Daphne Marina Windsor (bit of a mouthful, but it flows well) is the elder daughter of Lord Frederick Windsor and Sophie Winkleman. Frederick's the only son of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, younger brother of the Duke of Kent, so since the Queen and Prince Michael are first cousins, Maud and William are third cousins, and Maud and George are third cousins once removed. Maud and George are also in the grade, and reportedly may even be in the same class. 

William and Maud are also cousins through Prince Michael's relationship to the Duke of Edinburgh, but that's a more distance cousinship.

(Why yes, I *am* overly interested in the vagaries of the British royal family, however did you know?)

1 minute ago, blackberry said:

@JordynDarby5 I know your struggle. My name is Keah, and nobody has any idea how to pronounce it... I tell people "like Leah with a K," and they still look utterly confused. 

I think one of the problems there is that I've seen Leah pronounced as both "Lee" and "Lee-ahhh", so people still aren't sure which version to use.  In reading yours I would guess it's "Kee-ahh", but am not at all certain.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

I think one of the problems there is that I've seen Leah pronounced as both "Lee" and "Lee-ahhh", so people still aren't sure which version to use.  In reading yours I would guess it's "Kee-ahh", but am not at all certain.

I suppose I could see that as an issue, but when I say it out loud to someone (which is most of the time), the confusion should be lessened. Yep, it's kee-ahh. Siri calls me Kee though *shrugs*

I've only known 2 people named Agnes. The first one was Sister Agnes of the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart...2nd grade teacher. Older than dirt and mean as a snake. I think my knee problems started when I was sentenced to the kneeler for doing stupid shit in class. The second one was a year ahead of me in high school. She was outrageous! 

Just now, blackberry said:

I suppose I could see that as an issue, but when I say it out loud to someone (which is most of the time), the confusion should be lessened. Yep, it's kee-ahh. Siri calls me Kee though *shrugs*

Okay, if you're *telling* them how to say it it shouldn't be hard. Come on people!

Computer voices on the other hand, well I have my Kindle read books to me and it only pronounces words in one way. So "wind" for instance is always pronounced as though I'm winding a rope, even when the text is talking about the weather. It has no affordances for contextual pronunciation. But actual people? Yeesh.

1 minute ago, feministxtian said:

She was outrageous! 

Was she truly, truly, truly outrageous?

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

I don't think Phyllis will come back, but I could see Phillipa becoming popular. Pippa is a cute nickname. 

My mom's name was originally Phyllis (before she changed it in her middle age) and while it has an awkwardness to it, I can also see it holding a new vibe when/if people start using it again.  My dad used to call her "Phyl" which I always liked.  I agree with you that it's unlikely to come back anytime soon though.

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Hazel, Mabel, Agnes, Maude, they can all stay in the past, ugh.

I agree re Agnes (and Gertrude and Gladys) but I like the others and hope they revive!

7 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Was she truly, truly, truly outrageous

I can still sing the theme song to Jem. :my_cool:

I like Gertrude because both nick names are adorable. 

Gertie and Trudy

my grandmother was Gertrude. Us grandkids called her "Mamie" because she didn't want to be called "Grandma Gert". 

9 hours ago, sawasdee said:

I find it interesting that 'old fashioned names' like Maisie and Abigail have made a comeback - but when did you last meet a young Doris*, Ethel or Mabel? I truly do not understand how names become fashionable.

*My best friend here in Thailand was a Doris. She was born in 1931, and died in 2009.

In Sweden grandma and grandpa names are pretty popular. If you want your kid to have a unique but still very common name you chose one from your parents generation. It's a cycle that repeats itself. Names from your own generation and your parents generation seem wrong for your baby and you associate them with people from school, teachers and your friends parents. Your granparents generation though is another story. And that's why history is bound to repeat itself. When Miniway come home with his precious blessing (in 25 years or so) and tells me they named him Kjell Göran I will be the one saying ”Kjell! Really?” just like my mother did when she heard Miniways name. She's ”used to it now” though, so doesn't hate it anymore ... Gee, thanks mum!

Having a baby with a partner from another culture made the name discussions extra interesting. We had very different associations for different names. Miniways name is the only boys name we could agree on. :)

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

He does indeed. Maud Elizabeth Daphne Marina Windsor (bit of a mouthful, but it flows well) is the elder daughter of Lord Frederick Windsor and Sophie Winkleman.

The sister of Claudia Winkleman, the TV/radio presenter? Small world. 

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I thought of that one for them before Charlotte was born. For some reason, I think it might be a possible name for a new little princess. It is in the family tree among Victoria's children or grandchildren (can't remember which). 

Granddaughter, daughter of Edward VII. She later became Queen Maud of Norway. 

Another '88 baby checking in!!!

Husband and I had the easiest time picking girl names. We had our daughter's name picked out for three years before she was born - we decided on the German spelling for her middle name a few weeks before she was born, but otherwise we were adamant about that name. We picked out a second girl first name (Rebecca) and middle name for our next kid while I was still pregnant last year. 

Boy names have been much tougher. I have a lot I like - Noah, Ethan, Richard, Robert, Daniel, Henry, Nathan, Caleb, etc. - that husband either didn't like or is already taken by a family member we don't speak to. We had originally agreed on one (Brandon), but the last season of Game of Thrones killed that for us both because Brandon Stark was so creepy. Lol!

Husband is very firm about knowing what he doesn't like with boy names. It's finding names he does like that was the issue. We finally have it narrowed down to two first names (Aaron and James) and one middle name. So we should be ok if our second kid is a boy.

Turns out all the first names we've picked are Biblical names. I believe they're all Old Testament names too. Which is hysterical because we aren't religiously affiliated. We think we're Christians, but we aren't exactly sure - only requirement is believing in Jesus and his teachings and I don't know enough about all his teachings to be sure. 

I know an Agnes and a Gladys in my age range, though neither was born in an English-speaking country. I also know a Phyllis two years older than I am; she was named after her grandmother and goes by another name, and I believe she dropped "Phyllis" entirely when she got married. I call my computer Ethel but I've never met one in real life. I'm mid-twenties for the record.

I'm still a little surprised at Prince Andrew naming his daughters Beatrice and Eugenie. I know at least Eugenie has a namesake, but those names read so distinctively old-fashioned.

I have a work colleague Ethel, and a neighbor Elsie.

Ethel is in her 20's and Elsie is 3.

We went with old fashioned names with our girls, both ending in 'a', chosen from German ancestors.

Ah, a nice one I thought of! A former colleague of mine named his daughter Emmeline, called Emmie. She's what, 2 now? It reads a little old to me, but super pretty.

2 hours ago, blackberry said:

@JordynDarby5 I know your struggle. My name is Keah, and nobody has any idea how to pronounce it... I tell people "like Leah with a K," and they still look utterly confused. 

I had a student arriving at camp with the name Kia. I thought it was pronounced like your name (I went to college with someone same spelling (Kia) / pronounced like your name.) However when she arrived at camp we learned her name was pronounced Ky-uh. She told me "I get the wrong pronunciation all the time. It's normal. Especially since my name is spelled like the car." 

A few months after camp she posted a photo of her new (used) car & tagged us. She bought a Kia! She was proud of herself- it was Kia's Kia! 

1 hour ago, blackberry said:

I get that too. Even after being told how to pronounce my name there's still confusion. Why? I just told you how to pronounce my name. 

42 minutes ago, albireo said:

Ah, a nice one I thought of! A former colleague of mine named his daughter Emmeline, called Emmie. She's what, 2 now? It reads a little old to me, but super pretty.

Someone I went to school with has a daughter named that also. 

@church_of_dog, I can highly recommend the Mr Meredes trilogy (Mr Mercdes, Finders Keepers, and End of Watch).  It is terrific with unforgettable an unforgettable villain and equally unforgettable heroes.  

I have a granddaughter named Maizy and had a dog named Abigail and a cat named Ethel.  I had thought about using Abigail for one of my daughters and Ethel was named after Ethel Mertz by my cousin.  Abby was half Lab and half Cocker and was found in our back yard one morning.  We knew who owned the mama dog and were not about to give Abby back.  They went on vacation and left the mama dog and puppies outside in the summer heat with little shade.  Ethel was a short-haired dilute calico.  

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Boy names have been much tougher. I have a lot I like - Noah, Ethan, Richard, Robert, Daniel, Henry, Nathan, Caleb, etc. - that husband either didn't like or is already taken by a family member we don't speak to.

Every Ethan I've ever had in a classroom is a total nightmare. And some friends of ours have a kid named Ethan that is also a nightmare. All the Calebs have been awful, too. 

Teachers have a really hard time picking names. One my mother worked with named her son Lars. When asked why they picked that, she said because neither she or her teacher husband had ever had a student named Lars. 

1 hour ago, albireo said:

I'm still a little surprised at Prince Andrew naming his daughters Beatrice and Eugenie. I know at least Eugenie has a namesake, but those names read so distinctively old-fashioned.

Beatrice does, too. Queen Victoria had a daughter who was Princess Beatrice. Names that I think are a possibility for the third Cambridge baby from Victoria's long list are Alice, Helena, and Leopold (he could be Prince Leo). 

1 hour ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I get that too. Even after being told how to pronounce my name there's still confusion. Why? I just told you how to pronounce my name. 

I have a weird boy's name that really isn't unisex at all. Even after I tell people it's my name, they'll still just stare and ask me what I want to be called. 

Um, the name I just introduced myself as. This happened once while I was wearing a nametag with my name written out in capital letters...

I know a little Hazel from library story time, but that name makes me shudder. My high school Sunday School teacher was Hazel, and it's because of her I quit Sunday School for 25 years! 

I wouldn't mind seeing Esther and Eleanor come back.
[/quot

Eleanor (Ella) is quite popular!
Much like Lucille (Lucy) and Patricia (Tricia)

2 hours ago, Percy said:

I have a work colleague Ethel, and a neighbor Elsie.

I know an Elsie too, short for Elspeth.  She's 30ish.

I do like Gertie and Trudy, just not the full name Gertrude -- but it's growing on me now, lol -- I'm apparently highly susceptible to peer pressure!

Thanks, @PennySycamore!  I am looking forward to these books -- I might not even wait until Halloween!

It's always fascinating to me how people who aren't name nerds (I am!) generally have no idea which trends are coming down the line. My stepmom teaches Kindergarten, and I was telling her that we didn't use my favorite boy name, Ezra, when our youngest was born because it was too popular. She was like, "I've never had an Ezra, ever." I promised her she would in a few years; it was the #85 name last year. :pb_lol: This is how we end up with waves of popular, similar-sounding names. Everyone thinks they are being unique because "I don't know any Beatrices! (Olivias, Sophias, Emmas)" but everyone else in your age cohort also loved that song/movie/book/had a great uncle August, and now your kid is Caleb M. or Tall Mason. ;) Anyway, most of the names mentioned on the past few pages are either rising quickly or already near the top. Name trends cycle faster than ever these days!! 

41 minutes ago, of_the_lioness said:

Anyway, most of the names mentioned on the past few pages are either rising quickly or already near the top. Name trends cycle faster than ever these days!! 

I'm thinking Marjorie is not. Just checked Social Security. It was ranked 925 in 2016, down from 722 in 2014. 

Do you think we are going to see the names ending in -an, -en, -on for boys slow down any time soon? I had a first grade class for several days last year where every single little boy had a name ending in one of those. 

13 hours ago, sawasdee said:

I find it interesting that 'old fashioned names' like Maisie and Abigail have made a comeback - but when did you last meet a young Doris*, Ethel or Mabel? I truly do not understand how names become fashionable.

I know three young girls named Mabel. 

Another one coming back is Edith with the nickname Edie. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived