IGNORED

Bates 22: Courting, Marrying, and Trying to not Look Fundie

Coconut Flan

I would also guess the wedding is going to be during winter break. I believe the Bates family does not do a huge Christmas. They are more about celebrating Jesus. So they could still do Christmas and have a wedding on the 30th. Maybe a lot of the family will be around for the holidays anyway. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long before they have a giant registry? Trying to remember what Erin and Alyssa did. All I recall is the foofy poofy shower curtains and bedding.

I'm betting on 12/16. They are going to want to spend as much time as possible together before school starts up. I'm betting on a local mini-moon followed by a longer one after Christmas day. Bobby is working at Gil's church I believe.  At least that's what the show led us to believe.  

On 9/14/2017 at 9:31 PM, VelociRapture said:

I was going to watch and recap as a special surprise tonight. But husband got home early. He took one look at the screen, asked, "What is this trash?" and changed the channel. So now I'm stuck watching football. Because fantasy football. 

Are we married to the same man?

Sooo i have to say i'm a little bit disappointed by the special announce, after all the noi se they Made about moving the episode and a special announce it was just the Tobby engagement? Bah old news almost, i was hoping in a Michael pregnancy. Well Now we just have to see when they will bw married and where they will live. Near the family i guess? Who will pay for the house? I can't immagine Bobby having enough money even with the show to it, maybe Gli will help?

I'm going to take a break from my regular schedule of criticizing the Bateses and say some nice things for a change: Tori and Bobby are a good looking couple. I have no idea what they're like (don't watch the show), but from how they've been described, they seem happy together. They've spent a long time getting to know each other, which is good. Tori should still be able to graduate college if she gets married in December, which is good. The proposal location is absolutely beautiful.

I will say that I hope to God if I ever get engaged no one is there taking photos of the proposal. Yeah, I know, I'm a horrible millennial. I'm going to the Sears photo studio and getting like three formal portraits taken and doing a newspaper announcement, I swear. (I feel like the hipsters are going to hit the threshold where these photoshoots aren't cool anymore pretty soon and steal my idea, so I really need to find a guy to marry SOON so I can be extra non-mainstream and one step ahead of them). :pb_lol:

@singsingsingI agree about BoRi. They make a lovely looking couple and I think, personality wise, they seem rather compatible. I'll also add that I hope they enjoy a happy and healthy marriage, Tori is able to pursue all her life goals, and that they settle into a quiet life of not harassing other people who aren't exactly like them. Or try to legislate other people's rights away.

Did anyone else catch Lawson's video posts where the kids were acting out scenes from tv/movies? One of the kids did an imitation of Steve Urkel from Family Matters. I had no idea that a 90's sitcom focused on an African American family would make the cut. I haven't seen the show in years but I distinctly remember some racy episodes, specifically one having to do with Laura having sex with a boyfriend. 

7 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

Did anyone else catch Lawson's video posts where the kids were acting out scenes from tv/movies? One of the kids did an imitation of Steve Urkel from Family Matters. I had no idea that a 90's sitcom focused on an African American family would make the cut. I haven't seen the show in years but I distinctly remember some racy episodes, specifically one having to do with Laura having sex with a boyfriend. 

They're probably only allowed to watch select episodes that the parents prerecorded or something. The Bates love classic TV shows because "traditional values." 

I was checking our Carlin's "babe's" sister's IG account and she has a bunch of posts about her and Evan watching disney movies and that one really surprised me bc I always thought fundies were staunchly anti Disney films. (Aside from Zach with Pooh. Lol) Maybe one day Carlin & Evan's offspring will be watching Disney animated films!

On 9/22/2017 at 7:55 AM, eleanora3 said:

How can a school control whether or not students marry? 

It's a fundie school. They control everything. Who you can date. How you can date. When you are allowed to go off campus, IF you are allowed to go off campus. What church you go to. How active you are in that church. What music you can listen to. What you can wear. If you can use the internet. If you can have a cell phone. Lights on/off in the dorms. And you agree to all of those things when you apply for admission.

1 hour ago, nolongerIFBx said:

It's a fundie school. They control everything... And you agree to all of those things when you apply for admission.

For a fundie, it must feel just like home. 

On 9/23/2017 at 4:12 PM, VelociRapture said:

@singsingsingI agree about BoRi. They make a lovely looking couple and I think, personality wise, they seem rather compatible. I'll also add that I hope they enjoy a happy and healthy marriage, Tori is able to pursue all her life goals, and that they settle into a quiet life of not harassing other people who aren't exactly like them. Or try to legislate other people's rights away.

Tori and Bobby are going into ministry and she'll use her degree to homeschool their kids.

http://keepingupwithfundies.tumblr.com/post/165728039112/how-much-do-yall-wanna-bet-tori-is-either-gonna

1 minute ago, JoyJoy said:

Tori and Bobby are going into ministry and she'll use her degree to homeschool their kids.

http://keepingupwithfundies.tumblr.com/post/165728039112/how-much-do-yall-wanna-bet-tori-is-either-gonna

I'm aware of that. Many ministers are able to preach without being spectacular assholes though. I would hope that'd be the case for Bobby, though I'm jaded enough at this point to be prepared for anything.

As for Tori, I was mostly referring to her publicly stated goal of finishing college. If she wants to use it to homeschool that's her choice and I hope she does an excellent job at it for her childrens' sake.

14 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

How many ministers does one America need? Goodness gracious ministry seems to be the career plan of every young fundie male lately that we follow. (I know I'm exaggerating but geez!!!) Is there really even money in it? How many churches can there possibly be? I'm so impressed when a fundie son does *anything* else.

11 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm aware of that. Many ministers are able to preach without being spectacular assholes though. I would hope that'd be the case for Bobby, though I'm jaded enough at this point to be prepared for anything.

As for Tori, I was mostly referring to her publicly stated goal of finishing college. If she wants to use it to homeschool that's her choice and I hope she does an excellent job at it for her childrens' sake.

I mean, if nothing else, if being a homeschooling mother was always Tori's goal, at least her major will allow her to hopefully do a better job of teaching her kids than most. 

On 9/25/2017 at 0:54 AM, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

I'm pretty much positive the Bates's watch much more tv/movies than they would lead us to believe. The whole "no tv" stuff has probably gone out of style. So many people don't watch much TV anymore. And they aren't fundie. So fundies can't claim their "holier than thou We don't watch tv" stuff anymore. It's not rare. It's not special. And nobody cares. Plus with steaming tv, you can essentially cut out commercials. Which they always seemed to object to. So yeah, these fundies watch tv. 

I think the Bates do. If they're seeing "Did I do that" than its reruns. Maybe Nick at Night or something.  The Duggars I don't think watch TV. The Dillards watch sports. I have this vision of Derrick sitting there yelling at the NFL games while Jill dutifully reads her book about being a good ministers wife (see her IG if you haven't.) But its like the admins say, the Bates are trying not to 'look' fundie.  That doesn't mean their belief system has altered. 

How is it that none of them are pregnant?  I'm predicting all the pregnancies for next year.  Whitney, Alyssa, Erin, Tori, hopefully Michael and maybe even Carlin.  It will be a Bates Baby extravaganza!! 

1 hour ago, BeccaGrim said:

I think the Bates do. If they're seeing "Did I do that" than its reruns. Maybe Nick at Night or something.  The Duggars I don't think watch TV. The Dillards watch sports. I have this vision of Derrick sitting there yelling at the NFL games while Jill dutifully reads her book about being a good ministers wife (see her IG if you haven't.) But its like the admins say, the Bates are trying not to 'look' fundie.  That doesn't mean their belief system has altered. 

The Smuggars had a tv. And Benessa stated soon after marriage that they enjoyed watching DVDs of old tv shows as well.

I honestly think it's the same thing with their parents. I believe that photos from their house have been posted by various guests over the years showing some sort of screen. They used it for the election coverage and, I believe, for sporting events like the Superbowl. So it's very possible that the offspring still at TTH do have access to the same stuff the Bates kids might.

1 hour ago, JMO said:

How is it that none of them are pregnant?  I'm predicting all the pregnancies for next year.  Whitney, Alyssa, Erin, Tori, hopefully Michael and maybe even Carlin.  It will be a Bates Baby extravaganza!! 

I'm not sure about Michael. I think we'll get some sort of announcement from them - either that they're expecting or they're pursuing adoption or something unrelated, like they're moving to Texas. I would like to see her continue with her sewing shop though. I think it's an excellent use of her time, skills, and a great way to earn a bit of money.

As for the others, I'm not sure. It's possible they'll all have announcements. I do genuinely get the feeling that Alyssa wants to hold off though. Whether they're able to or not remains to be seen. Same with Whit and Zach. Barring any unforeseen issues, I do see Tori and Erin announcing something though.

As for Carlin... just no. Those two need a multi-year courtship before even thinking of marriage. 

On 9/25/2017 at 1:49 PM, Eternalbluepearl said:

How many ministers does one America need? Goodness gracious ministry seems to be the career plan of every young fundie male lately that we follow. (I know I'm exaggerating but geez!!!) Is there really even money in it? How many churches can there possibly be? I'm so impressed when a fundie son does *anything* else.

I know. I think of the arrogance of these young fundie guys. They are 20, 21 years old and they are so sure everyone needs their wisdom, that they know the Bible well enough to teach, and that they can advise older people on how to live their life. Arrogance.

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I feel like I say this too much on FJ but I think that many people (fundies included) have larger gaps in between child 2 and 3 compared to the gap between child 1 and 2. Having one child is not that difficult. You can give the kid your undivided attention and then hand him off to daddy when he comes home so you can get a break. Having one is tiring but it's often not completely exhausting. Having more than one kids IS exhausting. So that leaves less time and energy for sweet fellowship. I can pretty much guarantee Alyssa, Whit, and Erin will all have larger gaps with the next. Maybe not huge gaps, but still wider gaps. Especially Erin. Her first two are so close in age. 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can pretty much guarantee Alyssa, Whit, and Erin will all have larger gaps with the next. Maybe not huge gaps, but still wider gaps. Especially Erin. Her first two are so close in age. 

Unless they are both hiding pregnancies, your prediction has already come true for Erin and Whitney. Carson was about 6 months old when Brooklyn was conceived, and now Brooklyn is already past a year. And Bradley was 11-ish months when Whitney got pregnant again, and Kaci is currently 15 months.

Alyssa is the only one that could possibly maintain the same gap between kids 2 and 3 (She got pregnant somewhere around Allie's first birthday, and Lexi turns 1 in January). But I agree with Velocirapture, I get the feeling she was serious about wanting to stay at 2 kids for now. But you never know with these people.

Personally, I think the next order of pregnancy announcements will go Erin, Tori, Whitney, Alyssa. Total guesswork on my part. Michael is a bit of a wild card.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived