IGNORED

Bates 22: Courting, Marrying, and Trying to not Look Fundie

Coconut Flan

31 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Kelton and his family's (?) company were on the local news, talking about pipes freezing. There's a video at the source:

http://www.wate.com/news/local-news/how-to-prevent-your-pipes-from-freezing/897447131

Just coming over to post this. At least he works.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bateseses did a FB live update. 

- Josie and Kelton aren’t officially courting yet but they said they would love to be married this year.

- Evan wrote a song for Carlin called “You Hold the Key” which is on iTunes. 

- The Bates church is up and running, Evan’s family sang at the opening.

- Evan still acts like a total d-bag.

- Tori and Bobby bought a couch and they filmed the live video from their new place, the front door looked like an apartment door in my opinion.

- Lawson is going on tour this Spring.

- No boys dating yet but Carlin implied there’s something on the horizon.

- Carlin said there’s a chance Josie and Kelton could be engaged first but it’s a race to the finish.

- Carlin is still LOUD and shouted over everyone throughout.

Spoiler

FB124733-81C2-47C2-96A8-3ED36E4455B2.thumb.png.8fd8eed81c390bbc1b4d62319e2ef50e.png

On 12/23/2017 at 5:48 PM, BeccaGrim said:

I think this list is exactly what will happen.  

This list entirely.  

Me too! Just about. I for sure call Carlin having a summer wedding, that seems *such* her personality, all loud and bright and obnoxious and shit haha. I bet they'll get engaged on her birthday in April.

Josie seems more subdued (though maybe it's just in comparison to Carlin and Tori lol....). I actually think her relationship with Kelton may be a bit more like Joy & Austin Forsyth's than the TV show lets on, old family friends and whatnot, and they just started being "official special friends" once she was legal. Which is still kind of weird, but yeah. Winter '18 or spring of '19 wedding for sure! I think Josie is my favorite Bates haha :my_heart:

I actually think Trace next, maybe he met a nice girl while doing his one-year bible program at Clown lol. Then Nathan, who seems to be kind of doing his own thing similar to JD Duggar right now but who we also know is looking for love soon (remind me again how long ago he and Ashley split?)

Katie in 2020. She's the last sister"mom" at home, and Kelly Jo is always going on about how much Katie loves helping out with the younger sibs and nieces and nephews, I could genuinely see her being content to help out at home while she goes to college. but she's also beautiful and seems spunky and fun and will absolutely have zero troubles finding herself a man, lol. 

Lawson, we all know that boy ain't ready to settle down. He is totally loving hamming it up as the young good-looking aspiring artist and cool bro and fun uncle :my_rolleyes: I'd say 2020 at the earliest.

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

The Bateseses did a FB live update. 

- Josie and Kelton aren’t officially courting yet but they said they would love to be married this year.

This just drives home how arbitrary all of these dating stages are. If they already know they want to be married, and married within the year at that, then what changes when they are "courting"? At least there's a clear delineation with an engagement because there's a ring. I just find it really odd. 

It will be interesting how long Katie remains single. Kelly is running out of household helpers!

9 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

This just drives home how arbitrary all of these dating stages are. If they already know they want to be married, and married within the year at that, then what changes when they are "courting"? At least there's a clear delineation with an engagement because there's a ring. I just find it really odd. 

It will be interesting how long Katie remains single. Kelly is running out of household helpers!

I think what’s also so silly is Kelton and Josie call each other boyfriend and girlfriend. Carlin and Evan and Tori and Bobby both used those terms before their courtship as well.

However Carlin said “we are courting so we are now OFFICIALLY boyfriend and girlfriend.” So basically courtship is just more of the same but you can say it’s official now. It’s so ridiculous. 

And like you said it’s just so arbitrary. In the past they always said courtship was when you started deciding if you wanted to be engaged/married but so far the last three couples have already said they wanted to get married before they even began courting. 

16 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Just coming over to post this. At least he works.

All the in-laws, as far as I know, have worked in some capacity:

- Whit met Zach when she was working at Sonic.

- Brandon unfortunately works for IBLP. At least he earns some money I guess?

- Chad works for a manufacturing company. I believe he’s worked there ever since he relocated to Tennessee so Erin could finish her education. 

- John works for his family’s A/C company. He also has a side huskiness cleaning offices (pretty sureAlyssa still helps with this.)

- Bobby I’m not sure about. I’m pretty sure he’s working at the Bates family Church though.

- Evan works in a medical facility in some sort of administrative position. He’s rarely posted about it, but it has been mentioned via Instagram.

- Kelton works for a plumbing company. 

1 hour ago, JMO said:

Did anyone see the season premiere last night?  I haven't had a chance.  

Yes. It showed Josie's 18th birthday and the start of Carlin and Evan's courtship. Courtship began with scavenger hunt-like clues, naturally. 

According to next week’s episode’s description Chad decided to qui this job. This was back in the summer so we don’t know the final outcome yet but I wonder where he’s working now

DBAEA4CE-958C-4732-9F1B-A82C33569478.png

17 hours ago, nausicaa said:

So much yes.  They aren't officially "courting", but are telling they entire world that they want to marry in the next year.  If that isn't giving away a giant piece of your heart, I don't know what is.

I thought that the Bates learned something from the Zach and Sarah televised debacle. I guess not.

These people sure eat a lot of ice cream. 

I had to fast forward through most of the carlin and evan stuff cuz my second hand embarassment was through the roof especially since my husband was near by. I did observe though that Evan doesnt really come off as obnoxious and immature as he does on insta. He seems fairly normal personality wise, he comes across as sweet and easy going if a bit cheesy. Carlin still grates. She just seems kind of attention grabby and insincere, like shes always on. And her comments are immature like about being jealous at tori’s wedding.  But its not going to make much difference if she gets married in 6 months or a year or even 2 (very unlikely). Her parents approved the courtship, theyre going to get married and shes probably not going to significantly change before they do. I think the adjustment to real adult issues will be difficult for them but I think Carlin will be the more dominate one in the relationship. 

I had a few thoughts about the premiere.

First, they managed to make three pretty decent events fit into one episode. Why does TLC have to drag a wedding out into an entire season? :pb_lol:

Evan and Carlin are SO ANNOYING! Why did they make his entrance have to be such a focus during Josie’s party?

Josie and I are in agreement on one thing. I HATE being asked to choose a present for myself. If I chose it, it’s from me. (Unless it’s a car or something where it costs a lot of money and it’s important to select the features I need.)

When Gil stood on the “stage” to start praises for Josie, why was Kelton up there with them? SHE is the guest of honor, Gil was speaking, Kelton was....? I don’t understand why these “couples” can’t be ten feet apart for a few minutes while she gets her time to be celebrated.

In case you were wondering how much a blurry photo session with Taryn costs, I looked it up. I’m guessing the Bates family gets this at a discount in exchange for the free publicity for Taryn because it doesn’t come cheap.

Spoiler

DB704380-E768-41B4-A4BB-47A8EF82EF42.thumb.jpeg.9b568590c50a2d5f339c10d4ff5ea99a.jpegBBA1788F-73F5-4DE2-B5A8-89AA9FF54DC5.thumb.jpeg.fdfe7b6f951dcfc4a563526f44667fbd.jpeg

11 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Abby Paine, Chad’s sister

she seems to live with the Bates now

What is it with Chad’s sisters? They seem to travel around the fundie family circles. Tabitha had to live with the Duggars and now Abby with the Bates family? Why can’t they live at home?

15 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Abby Paine, Chad’s sister

she seems to live with the Bates now

Thanks! I thought she looked like a Paine but I couldn’t place her.

18 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

What is it with Chad’s sisters? They seem to travel around the fundie family circles. Tabitha had to live with the Duggars and now Abby with the Bates family? Why can’t they live at home?

They’re either teaching ala Tabitha; or what looks here to be mostly child rearing/teaching. 

So stay at home daughters in someone else’s house. Right. 

6 hours ago, Pete Pickles said:

I had a few thoughts about the premiere.

First, they managed to make three pretty decent events fit into one episode. Why does TLC have to drag a wedding out into an entire season? :pb_lol:

Evan and Carlin are SO ANNOYING! Why did they make his entrance have to be such a focus during Josie’s party?

Josie and I are in agreement on one thing. I HATE being asked to choose a present for myself. If I chose it, it’s from me. (Unless it’s a car or something where it costs a lot of money and it’s important to select the features I need.)

When Gil stood on the “stage” to start praises for Josie, why was Kelton up there with them? SHE is the guest of honor, Gil was speaking, Kelton was....? I don’t understand why these “couples” can’t be ten feet apart for a few minutes while she gets her time to be celebrated.

LOL. Can’t be more than a foot away from each other but also can’t kiss  it makes total sense, right? 

55 minutes ago, Feministe9000 said:

They’re either teaching ala Tabitha; or what looks here to be mostly child rearing/teaching. 

So stay at home daughters in someone else’s house. Right. 

So strange! It’s like a fundie student exchange program but instead of visiting a new country you just send your daughter to somebody else’s home so they can practice mothering children. 

I guess that’s how these fundie mothers survive having their sistermoms leaving the nest. Just shuttle in somebody else’s unmarried daughter.

I’m watching the first episode of season 7 and ... Carlin. I just can’t. I don’t know if there is a more obnoxious person on Earth. And Evan. I don’t know if there is a less sincere person on Earth. and why is everyone reading to her? Can she not read? I swear to God, I just can’t.

4 hours ago, Kaylo said:

and why is everyone reading to her? Can she not read? I swear to God, I just can’t.

She seemed to have a really hard time understanding the clues. Honestly, it made me feel kind of bad and wonder if she has a hard time processing what she is reading. I have a really hard time with math so I can relate. It also might have been nerves since starting a courtship is such a big deal in her world. It's almost like getting engaged. 

8 hours ago, Kaylo said:

I’m watching the first episode of season 7 and ... Carlin. I just can’t. I don’t know if there is a more obnoxious person on Earth. And Evan. I don’t know if there is a less sincere person on Earth. and why is everyone reading to her? Can she not read? I swear to God, I just can’t.

I found it bizarre that everyone read everything to her as well. She said something like “I wasn’t able to get the clue because I was overwhelmed.” My guess is that she has a poor reading comprehension from the school of Kelly Jo. Of course there is a chance she really was too excited to comprehend the clues in the moment, but I’m not buying it. I honestly felt bad for her in that moment.

I didn’t read as much into the reading of the clues. I figured production wanted those read aloud and Evan was craving some more attention, so he volunteered to do the reading. I especially felt that way when she received one of them, started reading, and he said, “Want me to read it out loud again?” :thumbsdown:

It’s also possible reading isn’t her strong suit or she may even have a case of undiagnosed dyslexia. Or ya know, failed by Kelly’s SOTDRT. Out of 19 offspring it’s possible they’d have a few whose strengths are not the same as others’. Carlin is an excellent yodeler and can sing better than Lawson (sorry not sorry), plus she’s so bubbly and outgoing...she’d do just fine in the real world if she had to take her lack of reading comprehension out into the world and find a job. My husband can’t read worth a lick and his skill set is far more valuable than my college degrees.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived