IGNORED

Lori Alexander 27: Deleting Bible Passages since 2017

51 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Speaking of Mary and Martha, I am reminded of something I have noticed in hosting styles. Most of my friends, when they host dinner guests, clear everything and wash every dish (or load the dishwasher) immediately after supper. We don't sit and visit until all dishes are washed. I even witnessed one couple, before they had kids, mop their floor while most of the guests were still there. The whole time they mopped, they complained about how sticky kids were. They were basically complaining about the children who had just left. I always offer to clean up dishes but I did NOT offer to mop their floor.  

Anyway, I always stack the dishes neatly and wipe all surfaces, leaving the full clean up until the guests are gone. I like it this way because it allows me to visit with my guests more and it doesn't give any implication that I expect my guests to help clean up.  USMCDAD always helps me with cleanup and it gives us a chance to talk about the evening together once all the guests have gone.  Sometimes we wait until the next morning  

Is there a proper way to manage cleanup?  What do you all do?  

I stack the dirties and let them wait so I can enjoy time with my guests.  To do more (in my opinion) either signals guests that they should offer to help or (depending on the time of night) signals that it's time to go.  I have no trouble at all with letting the kitchen sit dirty with stacked dirty dishes, but I have a friend who is physically incapable of doing so.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lori's oldest daughter mentioned on Instagram today that she has depressing days sometimes. Cue post about depression soon. 

I remember once asking my mom if depression and anxiety might be genetic in our family. I think it is. She immediately put that idea down by saying "oh we can't let that control us or define us. Or use that as a crutch. It really doesn't matter." 

1 minute ago, EowynW said:

Lori's oldest daughter mentioned on Instagram today that she has depressing days sometimes. Cue post about depression soon. 

I remember once asking my mom if depression and anxiety might be genetic in our family. I think it is. She immediately put that idea down by saying "oh we can't let that control us or define us. Or use that as a crutch. It really doesn't matter." 

that sounds like the mother. She was convinced I was "crazy". I know now it was her gaslighting, but then, I had serious doubts about what was true or not. Even now, with the pain in my back, I doubt whether it's really as painful as I think it is (4-9 on the pain scale depending on the day or what I've done) because she always told me I was overreacting. Hell, she made fun of me as I was going thru a "drug-free" pitocin induction...she fucking teased me about that forever. Now that I can look back with clarity, that woman fucked me up bigtime. No wonder I have depression, anxiety and PTSD. 

1 minute ago, EowynW said:

I really wanted to comment on that IG post and give her some eoncouragment, but I try to keep a low profile because I don't want Lori bullying yet another young woman onto going private. I feel very sad for her daughter because I have the feeling Lori has really done a number on her.  

My mother is clinically depressed and has been most of my life. When I was struggling with depression years ago, I told her (before seeing my doctor) "I have been feeling depressed lately."  Her response: "How can you be depressed?  You have the perfect life."  I have never once reached out to her for help since then. Thankfully, my family doctor was fantastic and carefully guided me through all the medication issues and everything else that comes with depression. 

I hope anybody here who feels like depression is getting a hold on them will reach out for help and let us support you however we can. 

1 minute ago, usmcmom said:

I hope anybody here who feels like depression is getting a hold on them will reach out for help and let us support you however we can.

PLEASE...reach out. I promise I will grab your hand and not let go. Depression sucks ass in a HUGE way. Please, don't ever feel alone, there are bunches of us who know what that's like, when the black fog grabs you, enfolds you and won't let go. Reach out, there's someone on the other side of the fog who's trying to get in to find you and hug you hard enough to try to put your pieces together. Know you are loved. 

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, usmcmom said:

I'll bring cheesey potatoes!  Also, to fully represent the Church of Christ, a big jug of red Kool-Aid and a black sharpie to mark all the red solo cups with each person's name. Waste not, want not. 

If the Catholic's are hosting, um, I'll set up the beer/wine tent. Thank you very much. BTW, I didn't know there was such a thing as a dry wedding  party until I was 18! (kid you not) Along with the beer/wine tent I will bring this awesome peanut butter sheet cake. best damn thing ever!

And Catholic's always* call it a pot luck not a pot providence or whatever the hell some fundies have said (nor do we change the name of deviled eggs)

*in my experience of being a life long Catholic of many generations.

4 hours ago, onemama said:

He makes us into new creatures and clothes us with white robes of righteousness. 

Lori missed the memo and ended up with robes of self-righteousness.

3 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

If the Catholic's are hosting, um, I'll set up the beer/wine tent. Thank you very much. BTW, I didn't know there was such a thing as a dry wedding  party until I was 18! (kid you not) Along with the beer/wine tent I will bring this awesome peanut butter sheet cake. best damn thing ever!

And Catholic's always* call it a pot luck not a pot providence or whatever the hell some fundies have said (nor do we change the name of deviled eggs)

*in my experience of being a life long Catholic of many generations.

Our daughter had a dry reception. I know you are not disparaging alcohol free events - I'm just throwing this out there. She really REALLY wanted this beautiful venue for her reception. It happens to be owned and run by a conservative church so - no alcohol is allowed. It is an amazing place with amazing staff and she was thrilled when it was available. 

Anyway, we did have a Dj with plenty of dancing. Some people actually said to us "you know nobody will dance without alcohol, right?" But we went with it because most of her guests were from her Christian college, which also prohibits alcohol and we figured they'd be fine with it. It was a blast!! The dance floor was full until the very last minute. We had a big cooler of glass bottle soda, laying on ice, wheeled out midway and that was a hit. The benefits for us? We did not have to worry about drinking and driving issues AND we saved a ton of money by not providing a bar. 

Mainly, though, this reception hall is THE BEST idea a church could ever come up with. It is used almost daily for business luncheons, community awards events, proms. They have a catering menu and church members dress in matching "uniforms" to serve. They run these events like a well oiled machine. It is really an asset to our community and quite amazing!  

4 hours ago, Koala said:

I don't know how they do things up in Door County, but around here, an open garage door is NOT an invitation for people to trespass onto your property, and look in your windows.  You also don't take pictures of run down houses and post them to your Instagram, or "sneak" pictures of church members (even if they are celebrities).

My take is that Lori and Ken thought since they were a rural area it's ok to do that.  In a lot of areas including rural places, it wouldn't be an invitation. I have relatives who live in rural parts of New Mexico and Colorado that would pissed if a stranger did that.  I laugh at how fucking Ken and Lori act as if they were doing the guy a favor when he may have a good reason to have the garage door open. Let's say nothing was being stored in the garage and the guy was airing it out. I would be pissed if I was doing something like that and someone came and closed the door. Lori peaking the windows and right judging the home was shitty.  We found the reasons for the condition of the house. But, it makes me wonder how much Lori and Ken go around Door County taking pictures of strangers' homes and then thinking it's ok to walk on property to close the door and peak in.  One of these days someone IRL is bound to bitch out Ken and Lori for that kind of stuff and tell them to get the fuck off their property

I'm not sure I believe Lori's tale of the landlord. "Drug and alcohol addicts" seems like a nice pat answer for such "sinful" conditions.  And what does she mean by "we finally met the man who owned the house"?  It reads as though they trespassed several times or they went to extreme measures to track him down. 

It all just seems off to me. Now I do believe that they looked in the windows and closed the door. They are the most self important and arrogant people I have ever encountered. 

7 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I'm not sure I believe Lori's tale of the landlord. "Drug and alcohol addicts" seems like a nice pat answer for such "sinful" conditions.  And what does she mean by "we finally met the man who owned the house"?  It reads as though they trespassed several times or they went to extreme measures to track him down. 

It all just seems off to me. Now I do believe that they looked in the windows and closed the door. They are the most self important and arrogant people I have ever encountered. 

This part of the story made me wonder as well. It sort of seems like they had been watching or peaking in on the house for awhile. If there were indeed trespassing on that property several times, it would have been funny if someone noticed them and called law enforcement to check them out. I can imagine Lori being appalled that a "godly older woman" like her was treated with suspicion.

6 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I bet it is the house from the IG post a couple weeks ago about sloth. I wouldn't be surprised if they filed a complaint with the township or county about unkempt property.

I really wanted atleast a first dance at my wedding. No go tho. :( So Mr. EW will one day have a small anniversary party with a dance to the oldies. 

1 hour ago, Florita said:

I bet it is the house from the IG post a couple weeks ago about sloth. I wouldn't be surprised if they filed a complaint with the township or county about unkempt property.

Oh, I wouldn't put it past Loriken to do something like that.

27 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I really wanted atleast a first dance at my wedding. No go tho. :( So Mr. EW will one day have a small anniversary party with a dance to the oldies. 

I'm sorry for that. 

There's no reason you can't dance all you want in your own home now. Just crank up your music and have fun with him. 

When time and budget allow, you might look into dance lessons, just for fun. We did a six week course on ballroom dance and it was really great - good exercise and a guaranteed night out for us each week. The only drawback was that we were the only students so I felt a little self conscious; but it was still lots of fun. Our instructor was eighty five years old and the most interesting woman! She charged us $10 for every two-hour lesson. It was one of our first empty nest adventures. We keep talking about going back for more but there's no way we could work it in now. 

My husband and I had a dry reception as well, due to my family history of alcoholism and his seizure medication.

Thirty years ago no Church of Christ member would have even had a DJ at their reception; let alone dancing. Certainly, there would be no alcohol. Now, most young couples are having it all. I am really thankful for those first young couples (and their parents) who said  "Forget church tradition, if we want beer and wine, we're having beer and wine."  It is really liberating to see some of these rigid standards disappear. 

26 minutes ago, smittykins said:

My husband and I had a dry reception as well, due to my family history of alcoholism and his seizure medication.

I definitely understand your reasons. Just wondering - did you have any disparaging remarks about your choice? As I mentioned, we received our share of ridicule. 

The Churches of Christ here are still very strict. No dancing and no alcohol allowed. Most of the preachers will not officiate at a wedding were there is either or both. There is also no instrumental music allowed in the churches. My young cousin is getting married in the church next month, and those are the rules at her church.

4 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

The Churches of Christ here are still very strict. No dancing and no alcohol allowed. Most of the preachers will not officiate at a wedding were there is either or both. There is also no instrumental music allowed in the churches. My young cousin is getting married in the church next month, and those are the rules at her church.

I should have been more clear. I was talking about receptions held in venues other than the church fellowship hall. Sorry about that  

The churches here would DEFINTIELY not allow alcohol or dancing on their premises either. We were attending a "liberal" Church of Christ at the time of our daughter's wedding. Our minister happily performed the ceremony and attended the reception - neither of which was in a Church of Christ building (long story) His daughters both had similar receptions - one even had an open bar.  Of course this church was basically black listed from other "real" Church of Christ fellowships because of our liberal views. We had even started incorporating instruments into some of the worship services. GASP! 

I have a Presbyterian preacher friend who drinks and he says their church policy is no alcohol at weddings solely for insurance purposes. They don't want people getting drunk and doing something stupid. 

Tabi says:    
August 25, 2017 at 2:18 pm

What are your tips on keeping house when your husband is a slob?

Lori Alexander says:    
    August 25, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Clean up after him, Tabi! Do it cheerfully as if you were cleaning up after the Lord, for we are commanded to submit to our husbands as unto the Lord.

10 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Tabi says:    
August 25, 2017 at 2:18 pm

What are your tips on keeping house when your husband is a slob?

Lori Alexander says:    
    August 25, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Clean up after him, Tabi! Do it cheerfully as if you were cleaning up after the Lord, for we are commanded to submit to our husbands as unto the Lord.

I admit I've been a recovering Catholic for longer than I ever was a Catholic, but somehow I don't picture "The Lord" being a slobby guy that expected women to follow him around picking up his messes.

Catholic wedding receptions are drinking, dancing, eating lolapaloozas. There is also usually a knot of smokers outside the venue.   I think the party is a reward for having to sit through the wedding Mass. The reception frequently keeps on going after the bridal couple leaves.

One of the most fun weddings I've ever attended was an interfaith Jewish-Methodist wedding jointly officiated by a rabbi and the bride's minister.  It was held in the garden at a country club and then the reception was in one of the small ballrooms,  There was a DJ, dancing, tons of food, a bar and the chair dance for the bride and groom. it was a great party,

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

It depends on the church. We attended CoC churches for awhile. One had no instrumental music, the other had a full band. There's two factions - instrumental and non-instrumental. I will say the singing in the non-instrumental churches was just gorgeous...effortless 4 part harmonies. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived