IGNORED

Lori Alexander 27: Deleting Bible Passages since 2017

Not to defend Lori, but there's nothing wrong with not enjoying children. For some people, children just aren't in the plans and being around them isn't a good time either. What I disagree with is the idea that children are the be all, end all of womanhood. Lori's attitude proves that not all women should be mothers. Having children to fulfill a religious and/or biological desire alone is not a good idea. Or in Lori's case, to get out of working...

In regards to today's post, I don't understand the deep connection to early risers and productivity. This idea doesn't seem to be held only by fundies. I've been a late sleeper my whole life. Anything before the crack of ten is too damn early BUT I'm extremely productive after 6pm and find I do my best work when everyone is asleep. I've heard about my laziness for years and to some extent people were correct because I was working against my biology. Once I found the hours that work best for me, I've been happier and far more productive. I sleep from 2am to 10am and it's perfect.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SuperNova, hello from another night person!  I once saw a pair of mugs commemorating each type of person:

"Morning Person: Insufferably self-righteous!"

"Night Person: Sluggard of the universe!"

I'll never be able to understand the perception that all morning people are so much more productive and hard-working. At one of my old offices, I once came in around 7 AM (instead of my usual 9 AM) because I had to leave early for a doctor's appointment. The 7 AM crew goofed around and didn't do a scrap of work until the boss came in at 8:30.

1 hour ago, KnittingOwl said:

Lori strikes me as far too selfish to have exclusively breastfed her children. I find it hard to believe that a six-week old breastfed baby slept through the night. I suspect either someone else fed baby at night or she was just able to completely ignore a newborn crying in hunger at night. 

I lucked out with my first two.  At about 2-3 weeks they started sleeping 6 to 8 hours at a stretch at night.  The downside was they wanted to be fed almost constantly for a couple of hours before going to sleep at night, but that was a price I was quite willing to pay for those hours of uninterrupted sleep at night! 

And then my third was totally different, up and down all night for the first several nights after he was born, then never really slept well through the night for several years.  :my_cry:

@SuperNovaI totally agree that we don't all have to enjoy children; but when Lori bases the majority of her "ministry" on beliefs such as the writing pictured, she should have a better history of enjoying children herself. She expects everyone else to consider children a blessing but she has given us many examples where she considered them nothing but a burden. 

I could not agree more with you on the early riser issue. I am the only one in my family who is a night owl. Any time someone comes for a visit, all plans are made for getting up early so we can be out the door by eight. It gives me anxiety. My mother thinks I am lazy for not being up and ready for errands by 7:30, but I would never call someone lazy for not doing dishes at 9 pm like I do. My body really does work better when I keep a night time schedule just like you described.  Somehow, accomplishing the same amount of work is not enough if it is in a different timeline. So frustrating!!  

Night Owls Unite!!!

IMG_8111.JPG

Regarding Lori's post about spending money on things and living a husband's income, she doesn't consider the fact that maybe some women buy a lot of stuff on clearance on and they are still living within the husband's income or dual incomes in cases of working women. I saw that she mentioned decorations I'm guessing she is referring to home decor. Even with that, there are ways to buy and decorate/DIY things at a cheaper rate.

1 hour ago, SuperNova said:

Not to defend Lori, but there's nothing wrong with not enjoying children.

Absolutely agree. Not everyone does, and I don't consider that a problem. Don't like kids? Don't have them, that's cool, there are plenty of other folks who will more than make up for it. 

IMO it's only a big deal when someone like Lori comes along and says every woman must get married and bear children, whether or not she can be a good mother, or wants kids, her ability and wishes are irrelevant.  The Handmaid's Tale, anyone?

2 hours ago, delphinium65 said:

I lucked out with my first two.  At about 2-3 weeks they started sleeping 6 to 8 hours at a stretch at night.  The downside was they wanted to be fed almost constantly for a couple of hours before going to sleep at night, but that was a price I was quite willing to pay for those hours of uninterrupted sleep at night! 

And then my third was totally different, up and down all night for the first several nights after he was born, then never really slept well through the night for several years.  :my_cry:

You are lucky! That's not a bad trade off.

I can't see Lori being willing to make the same trade off and cluster feed for several hours every day though. She doesn't strike me as maternal, which isn't bad unless you act like Lori. 

Regarding the idea that "virtuous women" get up really early---I'm pretty sure the scripture also says of the Proverbs 32 woman that "her lamp does not go out at night."

So, I guess not only do virtuous women get up at the crack of dawn, they also stay up working late into the night. Apparently virtuous women don't need to sleep at all? (Or maybe it isn't Godly to sleep in a dark room, and virtuous women always use a nightlight?)

Being the crazy liberal Baptist that I am, I'm going with another option: that this poem about an ideal woman is using figurative language to relay the principle that a virtuous woman is industrious and hardworking, whether she is an early bird or a night owl. 

This crazy modern approach also means that you don't have to literally gather food from afar in order to rack up bonus points!

I'm not fond of children myself. I had one.... And was sterilized at 26. The earliest any doctor would do it. 

My issue with Lori potentially not liking children is the fact that she had so many. Not because she enjoyed them or wanted to give a little human a great chance at life, but because she wanted a specific lifestyle for herself. She veiled that want with obligation and then used deceit to accomplish her mission.  Children don't ask to be born, and when they are the product of someone's blatant selfishness, IMHO the person(s) who created them are lower than dirt. 

Maybe I'm off base, she has admitted to not being very emotional, so maybe she loves them but is just a naturally standoffish person. IDK.  

Sorry for the soapbox, babies are a sore spot & this heifer just pushes my buttons. 

@Imrlgoddess may I ask where in the world you are? I'm assuming the U.S. because of your avatar. I'm curious since you said 26 is the earliest you could be sterilized. I had a tubal ligation at 19 after signing some papers and agreeing to a month of counseling. Its my understanding that it is no longer possible to get it done that young here in CA. Does it vary by state?

It's obvious to me that Lori never has especially liked children, but considered them a means to an end: letting her quit her job and looking like the "right" kind of Christian. 

27 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

@Imrlgoddess may I ask where in the world you are? I'm assuming the U.S. because of your avatar. I'm curious since you said 26 is the earliest you could be sterilized. I had a tubal ligation at 19 after signing some papers and agreeing to a month of counseling. Its my understanding that it is no longer possible to get it done that young here in CA. Does it vary by state?

I'm in Louisiana. I had my daughter at 22 and specifically told my female OB that we were one & done. She refused to tie me after the C section, refused again at the 6 month check up. She went so far as to shame me & try to scare me. She suggested what if I lost both my husband & child, remarried & that man wanted children. The rule at the time (90's-2000's) was minimum of 2 children or over 25 typically with at least one child. Or medical necessity.  Very few physicians in the whole state would take a woman's word for it. 

The USMC have me no flack at all. They did it in Japan of all places, no questions asked. I was going on 26 when I had it done. No regrets. 

4 hours ago, SuperNova said:

I've heard about my laziness for years and to some extent people were correct because I was working against my biology. Once I found the hours that work best for me, I've been happier and far more productive. I sleep from 2am to 10am and it's perfect.

One of the best things about disability for me has been being able to live on my "natural" schedule.  I HATE mornings.  I do not do well having to get up early and I am EXHAUSTED by 8pm if I have to get up anything before about 10-11am.   It was so miserable for me to be up at 6am to be to work by 7am when I was working prior to my disability.  I had really hardcore insomnia so was often running on fumes the entire day.  I still got all my work done because I was a workaholic, but I was miserable.

Now that I can set my own schedule, I usually sleep somewhere between the hours of 5am-2pm (not that whole time.  I only sleep 2-4 hours at a stretch due to trying to keep all my body parts happy at one time).  I call it "living on Australian time" because I end up doing a lot of stuff with Aussies online due to the time differences. 

If you look at the time of the majority of posts they are late at night or very early in the morning.  I very rarely have insomnia anymore, but still have days where I am up for 24-36 hours (I'm getting way too old for all-nighters, though)

Today I slept from roughly 4pm-8pm and now I'll be up until somewhere between 2pm-4pm most likely.  I may get a 1-2 hour nap at some point because people aren't really meant to sleep such short periods of time.  About once every 2 weeks or so, I have a day where I manage to sleep a full 8 or even 10 hours.   My husband holds a mirror up to my nose/mouth during those days to make sure I'm still breathing ;)   Dogs can be trampling all over me and I sleep right through everything!   I wish I could even out and get about 6 hours at once every day, but pretty much gave up hope of that happening.  

When I have to be on a "normals" schedule for dr. appts or whatever, the next day I am exhausted and that is often one of my 2 bigger sleep days per month.

1 hour ago, Emilycharlotte said:

This crazy modern approach also means that you don't have to literally gather food from afar in order to rack up bonus points!

Literally is the key word here. Lori destroys "the spirit of the rules" or shall we say "the Spirit of the Bible".

Her rules and her interprations of scripture - not only are they off base... but also they change from post to post. She's driven by her own whims and agendas, not by a spirit of faith and love.

9 hours ago, Loveday said:

@Imrlgoddess, she's on record as saying she doesn't watch the news, so it's possible she IS oblivious to what's going on down in Houston right now.  

My money is on her being a massive narcissistic piece of work, though. 

That would be my vote too. If Lori really doesn't watch the news, she may not know. However, if I were being evacuated somewhere, I would call my mom. One would think Lori's daughter would let her know.

Lori doesn't watch the news but I hope she stays in touch with her children. Did she just block it out when her daughter said "We're in the path of a hurricane."?

Many churches would have mentioned it as well, seeking prayers for those who would be impacted by it. Maybe that was when she was taking photos though so...good excuse to miss that announcement.  

I'll go with "Lori Knew About it but Doesn't Give a Flying Fig" for $500, Alex. 

28 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

That would be my vote too. If Lori really doesn't watch the news, she may not know. However, if I were being evacuated somewhere, I would call my mom. One would think Lori's daughter would let her know.

Unless she doesn't think Lori cares. Not saying Lori doesn't, but the question does come to mind. 

14 minutes ago, delphinium65 said:

Unless she doesn't think Lori cares. Not saying Lori doesn't, but the question does come to mind. 

I had this thought too, mainly because I keep things from my own mother, knowing she won't care and she'll make it all about her. In fact, I wondered, after posting that her daughter was in California if she didn't even want Lori to know. Surely, they would not have made it widely known if that were the case, though. 

I wonder if it went something like this:

"Mom, we've decided to come home to avoid the hurricane. Any chance you will come back early to see us and the baby,"

"Well, we have only been here eleven weeks. We aren't quite ready to come home. Plus, I have so much to do up here as an older woman. Maybe we'll see you at Christmas. But kiss that baby boy for me."

"Mom. I have a daughter."  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived