IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Attending Conferences and Getting Pregnant

Coconut Flan

@SilverBeach The length of a pregnancy actually starts with the date of mom's last period, which typically occurs two weeks before ovulation.  So by that timeline, Joy was already two weeks "pregnant" when PIV happened.  So if her wedding was 13.5 weeks ago and she got pregnant on her wedding night, she's actually 15.5 weeks pregnant.  It's super confusing.

ETA: Oops, I wasn't the only one to answer this.  My bad.  I've been seeing people on other sites saying she must have gotten pregnant before her wedding, etc and I have a compulsive need now to explain how pregnancy lengths work to protect Joy's name, I suppose.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Goody. Joy decided to use her pregnancy announcement to spout some anti-choice rhetoric. Blech.

There is so much wrong with her announcement that I just cannot.

Hang in there, Jinger! So far you're the only one that's gotten this part right.

Anyone know how they count it if a woman hasn't been having periods? I'm assuming that if a woman gets pregnant after not having a period for a year then she won't be considered to be 52 weeks pregnant!

@Rachel333I think they use ultrasound measurements.

My mom still got periods when she was pregnant with my middle sister in a pre-ultrasound world they just took a best guess based on the size of my mom's growing stomach.  They think my sister was born early because she was underdeveloped in some areas, but they had no way to know for sure!

11 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I just used this. I put May 12th since that's 2 weeks before her wedding and apparently she's due February 18th :my_confused: Can we all agree that the way we calculate due dates is confusing?

I'm still thinking mid to late March.

4 hours ago, Kailash said:

I feel stupid as I've actually given birth but am too lazy to google. What is this 2 free weeks thing people are talking about? How could Joy possibly be further along than the length of her marriage, without premarital sex?  I don't get it and hope someone takes pity on me and explains.

I'm with you on this. It's like saying 2+2=5. I've been pregnant and never heard of this new pregnancy math.

As of this afternoon, Anna and Derick congratulated her on Twitter.
Am I the only person who will go certifiably insane if I see Michelle in this freaking shirt (or any of its variations) one more time?? Is she trying to prove she's frugal?
Forget funding Dereck's " ministry", they need to crowd fund a new wardrobe for Michelle. Or an intervention.

Thank you a million times for this!! I thought the same thing- get a new damn shirt. So annoying.

2 minutes ago, anaandrade said:

I just used this. I put May 12th since that's 2 weeks before her wedding and apparently she's due February 18th :my_confused: Can we all agree that the way we calculate due dates is confusing?

I'm still thinking mid to late March.

I was thinking early March too but I put the 12th as well.  Maybe she will have the baby around Henry's 1st birthday.

Ugh. Well this was predictable, but still my heart sunk. She is younger than my middle daughter who just started her sophomore year at college. I have a sneaking suspicion she will be Michelle Jr.  and just pop those kiddos out, unless Austin steps into his lordship role and puts a stop to the craziness. And Michelle's clothes? Man. I wish her a $1000 gift card to Lands End and a cute shoulder length bob. 

21 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

@SilverBeach The length of a pregnancy actually starts with the date of mom's last period, which typically occurs two weeks before ovulation.  So by that timeline, Joy was already two weeks "pregnant" when PIV happened.  So if her wedding was 13.5 weeks ago and she got pregnant on her wedding night, she's actually 15.5 weeks pregnant.  It's super confusing.

ETA: Oops, I wasn't the only one to answer this.  My bad.  I've been seeing people on other sites saying she must have gotten pregnant before her wedding, etc and I have a compulsive need now to explain how pregnancy lengths work to protect Joy's name, I suppose.

I'm a mom and have been pregnant before. This two week business doesn't apply to a virgin. No way you can possibly be pregnant longer than you have been having PIV sex. Its kind of silly.

'Momma' did NOT seem excited in the announcement video. I thought Boob appeared relaxed and happy, but Michelle was almost grimacing. And it was awkward...it clearly wasn't the moment they found out so why couldn't they re-film it to seem actually excited? The only emotion J'chelle displayed was the adoring husband stare. You don't have to make these stupid announcement videos if you aren't comfortable! It actually just makes things worse!

21 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Well, they have all those flamingos, maybe they could all be painted blue or pink. That would make for another riveting episode.

riveting I will give you riveting. JB driving in the snow talking to the crew who is with him.  You could have heard nails on a chalkboard 

10 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Uuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhn

That's all.

so many thoughts on this 

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

I'm a mom and have been pregnant before. This two week business doesn't apply to a virgin. No way you can possibly be pregnant longer than you have been having PIV sex. 

What part of this are you not understanding? Pregnancy time is calculated from the first day of the LMP. 

29 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

What part of this are you not understanding? Pregnancy time is calculated from the first day of the LMP. 

Never mind. 

Just now, SilverBeach said:

And what about fucking common sense don't you understand? I understand just fine. The damn calculation doesn't make any fucking sense in this case. Fuck off with the condescension.

Holy shit. Pregnancy is calculated from the first day of your last period. It applies to virgins. It applies to non-virgins. It applies to any woman who is menstruating. Yes, it's kind of weird, but it makes sense given that a woman's cycle begins on the first day of her period. It's not actually all that confusing or mysterious, and it's not new. 

I'm no OB, but I think it has something to do with the fact that pinpointing conception is difficult.  You can conceive the day you ovulate, or even a few days after.  If you get busy a few days before, the sperm can hang out for a few days and wait for the egg.  It's all very confusing so they use the last period and the general idea that most women ovulate two weeks after the start of their last period.  It's really just a tool to help doctors, nurses and midwives keep track to make sure the fetus is developing properly.  Due dates aren't exact anyway, it's a rough guess (unless you're my youngest son, who came on his due date.)

So, yes, it's totally possible that Joy lost her virginity 13.5 weeks ago and is 15.5 weeks pregnant.  It's just how the medical profession does it.

4 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

And what about fucking common sense don't you understand? I understand just fine. The damn calculation doesn't make any fucking sense in this case. Fuck off with the condescension.

I apologize to the rest of yall for all the cussing but O can't stand rude bitches.

What part of SCIENCE do YOU not understand? Condescend all FUCKING day long, erroneously! Talk about RUDE. lol

So, what's the odds that we will see the birth episode before they finally finish showing all the wedding planning? 

Just now, JMO said:

So, what's the odds that we will see the birth episode before they finally finish showing all the wedding planning? 

It really is getting that ridiculous. Show the wedding first, then go back in time and show all the wedding planning. Uh, who wants to watch six episodes about wedding planning for a wedding we've already seen? And then tease a pregnancy announcement for a baby who's on the verge of being born? TLC, you're doing it wrong.

2 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Contrary to popular belief, I think Josh HAS brainwaves, they're just very simple, selfish, one-track, and likely stunted.

Just personal opinion, but I never thought Josh was lacking brain waves (i.e. dumb), either  I think he *hopes* people think that, so he can continue being a skeeve, who when caught doing disbicable things, can say, "Satan made me do it, I was too dumb to realize I shouldn't listen.  Forgive me though, because Jesus."

2 hours ago, Mela99 said:

The answered prayer thing irks me. I had someone tel me once "God answered your prayer and the answer was no"

That is horrible.  I'm really sorry that happened to you :/

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

IKR? Boys, boys, all type of boys, Israel, Marcus, -snip-

Ermahgawd, was this a low-key reference to Missy Elliott's "work it"?!  Because I'm down for that :my_biggrin:

2 hours ago, bananabread said:

I'm thinking something in the Hunter/Garrison/Maverick/Sailor/Gunner family :my_rolleyes:

Hunter or Gunner works with their country and gun lovin lifestyle . . . Though I'm leaning towards Austin Jr. As well, with A.J. As the nickname. 

2 hours ago, Jatalie1996 said:

I get the whole "not wanting girls born into fundie families" thing, I really do. But the way I see it, it's got to be harder on the guys in some respects. No one is batting an eye that Jinger is wearing pants, because her headship is allowing it. So I'd imagine at least some fundie guys might feel pressure to enforce things like that upon their families in order to tow the line. I may be completely off the mark here, but I hope I got my point across. 

I wouldn't necessarily say it's harder on either sex, within limits (i.e. fear of rape and abuse come to mind).  Because both suck major cahones.  

The pressure for the man to provide for like a good ten people has got to be staggering. And though I joked earlier about pregnancy fetishes, not every man is into it.  Or the hormones.  I'm assumming here, but I'm guessing if the man would like anything besides missionary, the typical fundie wife might actually chastise him with a Bible verse (or two).  And God forbid if the man is into anything besides hard labor, or missionary stuff (i.e. lawyer, doctor, *cough* accountant, or *la gasp* art!).  

Worse, if he shares any of this with anybody, he's told to pray about it, then "man up" . . . So yup, I agree, in general it's "better" for the man, but that doesn't mean it's any less fucked up for them :/

1 hour ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

-snip- Forget funding Dereck's " ministry", they need to crowd fund a new wardrobe for Michelle. Or an intervention.

They did a style intervention a few years back (an old friend of hers did).  New hair, new outfit.  She didn't like it.  So it'd be a waste of time to fund a new makeover :p.

I feel like it wasn't that long ago they dolled them up for a people's magazine article, and changed her look a bit, too.  But again, she's reverted to what she's comfortable in.  So long she's deciding her wardrobe, then so be it (obviously if it was JB ordering it, then my opinion would certainly change), but otherwise, I'm like, "you do you boo" *shrug*

1 hour ago, potato said:

-snip- Anyway, it turns out that my roommate is an inactive FJer.  I can't wait to see her reaction to the news when she comes back, assuming she hasn't already seen it.

Just projecting here, but if I met an FJer in real life, I'd be stoked, and I hope y'all have an awesome night lamenting about the patriarchy in religions ;)

18 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

-snip- Now the big question - what stupid idea will they come up with for the gender reveal? Will Sierra go back to being the family party planner?

They'll copy that couple from like a year ago, who shoot a gun at a box down a dirt road and the ensuing billow of smoke will be either blue or pink . . PLOT TWIST, it'll come out purple, and for a second the family will FREAK thinking the fetus is intersex, when really they just ended up with a pair if boy/girl twins (now that would be entertaining).

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

IKR? Boys, boys, all type of boys, Israel, Marcus, Michael, Spurgeon boys...

Lol, thanks for that. :) I appreciate the Missy Elliott rap amongst all this baby talk. 

17 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I'm with you on this. It's like saying 2+2=5. I've been pregnant and never heard of this new pregnancy math.

It isn't new.  It's the way pregnancy has been calculated for ages.  Naegele's Rule has been around since the early 1800s.  He lived from 1778 to 1851.  

32 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Anyone know how they count it if a woman hasn't been having periods? I'm assuming that if a woman gets pregnant after not having a period for a year then she won't be considered to be 52 weeks pregnant!

Well, women typically don't ovulate unless they are getting their periods, so if a woman hasnt had her period in a year, then chances are she hasn't ovulated in a year. 

Seriously any decent OB/GYN will agree this is how pregnancy is calcuated. Virgin status before conception does not change this.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived