IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Attending Conferences and Getting Pregnant

Coconut Flan

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Well... yes and no. Yes, if you're not menstruating for months and months, chances are you're not ovulating. But that's not really the same thing as, say, a woman who gave birth six months ago, who hasn't gotten her period yet, but gets pregnant anyway. And that happens fairly often.

Of course, I agree with you on that. I guess I was only thinking of the circumstances where women lose their periods for unknown or medical reasons. Usually losing your period is a sign that something larger is wrong. 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Kailash said:

If anyone cares, I didn't jump anyone's shit. Didn't mean to cause a shitstorm though by asking a question.

you would only create a shitstorm in my opinion if you asked how does one make a baby :D

17 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Well... yes and no. Yes, if you're not menstruating for months and months, chances are you're not ovulating. But that's not really the same thing as, say, a woman who gave birth six months ago, who hasn't gotten her period yet, but gets pregnant anyway. And that happens fairly often.

It's not stupid. The fact that it's an approximation doesn't make it 'not science'. It's how due dates are generally calculated. Are you really saying Jill is stupid for calculating her due date the same way that the vast majority of other women do? Come on! I can criticize her for a lot, but not for that! And just because a technique was developed a century ago doesn't mean it's stupid or worthless. ffs.

It's common practice, that's different than "science." I could cite a bunch of literature that describes why we should be using ultrasound, not last missed period, to improve prental care and decision making - but I'm on my phone and it's late.

Yes, I think Jill is stupid for writing 13 weeks and 5 days. Because it was never meant to calculate pregnancy length to the day but then being all pro life love to make every day count. If he had just written weeks on her chalkboard I wouldn't judge but putting days (even with an actual ultra sound the days aren't that accurate) is STUPID. It's why everyone kept asking her when she was going to pop, despite going passed 42 weeks - because she frickin made a big deal about it down to the day.

9 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm 34 and I still act like a child sometimes. Being an adult is hard. If I want to have cereal for dinner while watching cartoons, it's good for my sanity.

33 here and SAME. Ever try chocolate cereal with chocolate milk? Mmmmm!

4 minutes ago, nst said:

you would only create a shitstorm in my opinion if you asked how does one make a baby :D

Wait a minute... you mean you don't pray really hard for god to put the baby in your belly?  I've been doing it wrong the whole time!

51 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Holy shit. Pregnancy is calculated from the first day of your last period. It applies to virgins. It applies to non-virgins. It applies to any woman who is menstruating. Yes, it's kind of weird, but it makes sense given that a woman's cycle begins on the first day of her period. It's not actually all that confusing or mysterious, and it's not new.I

It is very weird to say that a woman who only had sex for the first time 13 weeks ago is 16 weeks pregnant. But whatever.

3 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Wait a minute... you mean you don't pray really hard for god to put the baby in your belly?  I've been doing it wrong the whole time!

Pffft... you get pregnant by swallowing a watermelon seed.

Can we talk about something else? This thread drift got intense and I think it's not very likely anyone is going to convince someone else they were wrong. Maybe eveyone can agree to disagree? 

How about whether Joy will document her pregnancy obsessively on social media or generally keep it to a dull roar?

Or alternatively, will Joy now join Sierra and Jessa's mom club? (They always post about being part of a 'tribe' )She's never beem that close with Jessa but maybe she will now? Or will her and Jill have their own club?

why does it look like JB is holding Michelle Captive in that video? 

And, it has been a few years since I worked OB, but Joy looks further along than 13-15 weeks.  Yes, there is a lot of variation in how women carry babies, and that is a significant bump.  There is something in the shape of her belly that just looks well beyond  13-15 weeks. 

I will be very curious on how this pregnancy progresses.

Yeah, I think the human appendix is weird, but it exists.

I'm going to go meditate now. :pb_lol:

Can we debate about Joy's choice of ice cream flavour or something? Like I'm personally not a fan of sprinkles and vastly prefer chocolate to vanilla.

12 minutes ago, unicorncastle said:

Of course, I agree with you on that. I guess I was only thinking of the circumstances where women lose their periods for unknown or medical reasons. Usually losing your period is a sign that something larger is wrong. 

This is true. Except for pregnancy and menopause, losing your period isn't a good sign.

Just now, singsingsing said:

Can we debate about Joy's choice of ice cream flavour or something? Like I'm personally not a fan of sprinkles and vastly prefer chocolate to vanilla.

I'm not sure which Duggar kid it was, but I remember one of them saying they liked chocolate chip mint ice cream.

Just now, nomoxian said:

I'm not sure which Duggar kid it was, but I remember one of them saying they liked chocolate chip mint ice cream.

Wasn't this what Jessa served to her guests at her wedding reception? Because November and she wanted ice cream.

It seems like there are two different interpretations of "letting the Lord decide". One, which I think J&J are following, is not tracking anything and just having sex when you feel like it. The other is aggressively trying to have as many children as possible, and the Lord decides by which he makes you medically incapable of carrying another pregnancy to term ie Michelle. 

I don't know shit about how likely someone is to get pregnant at any given moment but it seems reasonable to me that a couple wouldn't get pregnant immediately, especially if the woman had a history of an eating disorder, which I suspect Jinger does. 

I'm about to show myself the door after realizing the reason I didn't know how pregnancy is calculated is because I've never followed a pregnancy from conception before, even my own. I'm a bit disgusted with myself for falling so far into Duggarland. I clearly need a new hobby!

7 minutes ago, calimojo said:

why does it look like JB is holding Michelle Captive in that video? 

And, it has been a few years since I worked OB, but Joy looks further along than 13-15 weeks.  Yes, there is a lot of variation in how women carry babies, and that is a significant bump.  There is something in the shape of her belly that just looks well beyond  13-15 weeks. 

I will be very curious on how this pregnancy progresses.

I think Michelle is unhappy about the pregnancy. Joy is likely super fertile and starting at age 19. She has the potential to have more kids than Michelle and I think this threatens her since having a bazillion babies was Michelle's only purpose in life.

10 minutes ago, FeministFunPolice said:

I don't know shit about how likely someone is to get pregnant at any given moment but it seems reasonable to me that a couple wouldn't get pregnant immediately 

I think I recall the chance being about 20% per month for a young couple with no fertility issues. So it's not weird or rare to get pregnant the first month you start trying, but it's also not weird or rare for it to take a few months.

Well I think this is week 13 - in old days it was don't tell til 3 months.

So that makes a March 6th due date.  Baby anywhere 2 weeks before, or after. 

11 minutes ago, FeministFunPolice said:

It seems like there are two different interpretations of "letting the Lord decide". One, which I think J&J are following, is not tracking anything and just having sex when you feel like it. The other is aggressively trying to have as many children as possible, and the Lord decides by which he makes you medically incapable of carrying another pregnancy to term ie Michelle. 

I don't know shit about how likely someone is to get pregnant at any given moment but it seems reasonable to me that a couple wouldn't get pregnant immediately, especially if the woman had a history of an eating disorder, which I suspect Jinger does. 

According to a 2004 study (that I've seen referenced in articles like this or videos like this), 86% of 27-34-year-olds and 82% of 35-to-39-year-olds will conceive within a year if they're having unprotected sex at least twice a week. I would imagine it would be slightly higher at Jinger's age, but of course that would be complicated by any medical issues. So if Jinger and Jeremy are both fertile and healthy (which we don't know) and having regular sex without using birth control, it would be pretty unlikely for her not to get pregnant in the first year, but not impossible either.

21 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah, I think the human appendix is weird, but it exists.

I'm going to go meditate now. :pb_lol:

I love sprinkles but that can go down debate road as well as some insist they are actually "jimmies". LOL I have had that discussion one too many times! 

Wow I go to sleep leaving a simple (well for me but I teach prenatal classes and work with pregnant ladies as a therapist) statement about pregnancy length and woke up to this. Thanks for anyone explaining it, I didn't realize people wouldn't know this. Maybe it's a cultural thing and I certainly  don't mean to sound rude, but don't you learn this in highschool biology? Or maybe it's been only taught for the past two decades, I don't know. 

Oh, and putting her last menstrual cycle at May 14th, since I suspect having her ovulation May 27th after the wedding, would mean a February 17th due date. 

I had this very straight in my head until I read the last few pages.  I smoked some pot, been a rough but good day.  Anyway, I'm trippin' out on it now.  LOL!  Good night, I'll be having pregnant dreams now I  suspect.  What with the Jill R. thread too?  Lordy.

Well at any rate, The duggars who read here (I suspect Joy too) now know how to calculator pregnancy length. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived